Mizuno JPX 800 pro vs. MX-300

sofla

What is the difference?
Just looked at the catalog with the new JPX 800 pro. They look a lot like the MX-300. Anyone know if there will be any differences?

Ping G430 10k
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Ping G430 22 hybrid

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The black pros look all right but I don't care for the blue ones. Too busy. It will sure be hard to take the badges off of these!

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

Bucky - I agree the blue jpxs are a bit much, but I'd rather swing them than the fat mx1000s ad they seem like they both fit he same handicap range.

Someone in another post mentioned that the badges are composite pieces built in, so there may not be any debadging at all. I think the black jpx look pretty good.
I myself might look at getting the mp53s down the road when wanting to replace my 200s. I can't wait to get to a demo day - I bet they aren't much less forgiving than the 300

• 1 month later...

800 Pros seem to be a little more forgiving than the 300s, as they have more of the toe weighting treatment of the 300s. They also look to be slightly longer.

That said, the 300s get the nod on feedback. Can't help but think the medallion in the Pros has a hand in this.

This is fairly consistent with Mizuno's intent to create some separation between the different models.

2009: MP52--MX300--MX200--MX100--MX1000
2010: MP53----JPX800Pro----JPX800---MX1000

• 1 month later...

It's been a couple months since this topic was started and I wonder if anyone else has gone out and compared the 800 pros against the MX-300's. I am looking for a backup set and wonder if I should go with the pros instead of the non pros.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

I know 6 guys who played mx-300's.. half have switched and are glad they did.. one is pondering and 1 wishes he could... the last is a scratch player and played div 1 golf 20-25 years ago.... he's had 5 sets in his life.. has no intentions of changing out the "best set of irons I've ever played" ...even though he thinks the 800 pros are super.

I have been playing the mx 300's for about 2 months now. I haven't hit the jpx pros so i can't comment on that. I am a 7 hcp and have played many sets from blades through to GI, and the 300's are outstanding for what they set out to achieve. Stupid easy to hit the long irons, the short irons are fine but i'm not too crazy about the sole grind. They have quite a strong bevel on the leading edge that tends to bounce of firm turf and hit bladed shots. They feel great and launch pretty high. The jpx don't look as good to my eye and perhaps they are less a "players GI set' than the 300's.
I just wanted to endorse that the 300's are an excellent players forgiving iron. With the great price of them at the moment as a superceded model they would be just as good performing as the jpx at about half the cost.

[quote name='buster' timestamp='1290401756' post='2801999']
I know 6 guys who played mx-300's.. half have switched and are glad they did.. one is pondering and 1 wishes he could... the last is a scratch player and played div 1 golf 20-25 years ago.... he's had 5 sets in his life.. has no intentions of changing out the "best set of irons I've ever played" ...even though he thinks the 800 pros are super.
[/quote]

I would love to find a set of MX-300's with stiff Nippon 950 shafts but have had no luck so far on the bay. The 300's have been great for me and I am hesitant to switch. I would rather have the same irons as backups in case I damage one like I did this summer.

Thanks for the comments buster.

[quote name='Oldplayer' timestamp='1290418144' post='2802098']
I have been playing the mx 300's for about 2 months now. I haven't hit the jpx pros so i can't comment on that. I am a 7 hcp and have played many sets from blades through to GI, and the 300's are outstanding for what they set out to achieve. Stupid easy to hit the long irons, the short irons are fine but i'm not too crazy about the sole grind. They have quite a strong bevel on the leading edge that tends to bounce of firm turf and hit bladed shots. They feel great and launch pretty high. The jpx don't look as good to my eye and perhaps they are less a "players GI set' than the 300's.
I just wanted to endorse that the 300's are an excellent players forgiving iron. With the great price of them at the moment as a superceded model they would be just as good performing as the jpx at about half the cost.
[/quote]

Completely agree about the beveled leading edge on the 300's causing thin shots due to excessive bounce, so much so that i replaced the 300s with a set of diablo forged.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

I have played both the MX300 and now the JPX 800 Pros. The JPX are more forgiving on misses. Longer even loft adjusted (I ordered mine tweaked mine as the 44PW was too much) due to the thinner face, probably at least half a club. Both are great clubs. I like Mizuno for their quick service on custom orders. Less than a week from order to delivery.

[quote name='stevopagolf' timestamp='1290450854' post='2802614']
I have played both the MX300 and now the JPX 800 Pros. The JPX are more forgiving on misses. Longer even loft adjusted (I ordered mine tweaked mine as the 44PW was too much) due to the thinner face, probably at least half a club. Both are great clubs. I like Mizuno for their quick service on custom orders. Less than a week from order to delivery.
[/quote]

The 800 pros should be the same lofts as the MX-300's. PW is 45 degrees.

I know the non pros have their PW at 44 degrees.

[quote name='jjl' timestamp='1290440068' post='2802337']
[/quote]

Completely agree about the beveled leading edge on the 300's causing thin shots due to excessive bounce, so much so that i replaced the 300s with a set of diablo forged.
[/quote]

Personnaly I don't think that the bounces are that much of a deal.See the following bounces for 3-PW, in degrees:

AP2 0 1 3 4 4 5 6 7
MP52/53 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 5
MX300 1 2 2 2 3 5 6 7
800 Pros 1 2 2 2 3 4 5 6

Does a degree more or less really matter?

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1290521820' post='2803876']
[quote name='jjl' timestamp='1290440068' post='2802337']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Personnaly I don't think that the bounces are that much of a deal.See the following bounces for 3-PW, in degrees:

AP2 0 1 3 4 4 5 6 7
MP52/53 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 5
MX300 1 2 2 2 3 5 6 7
800 Pros 1 2 2 2 3 4 5 6

Does a degree more or less really matter?
[/quote]

NO. having owned both the MX300 and the JPX 800 pro, I would buy the JPX pros again.. Buckybadeger is right the Loft of the PW is 45. I adjusted mine 2 degrees. sole grind better than MX 300's, more forgiving with the thinner face, feel is equal. Distance is longer with the JPX due to thinner face.

Sorry, but one sole design is not better than another, depends on your swing type and playing conditions. As far as forgiveness, looking at the designs side-by-side, any difference would be microscopic. Differences in distance can at least be measured. I bought a brand new set of 4~PW, MX-300's for $306 and there is no way I could justify the added cost of the JPX version.

Peronnaly,I beleive Mizuno just streamlined its product offering from two vey similar designs,to just one.And they chose to retain the one which was already being sold in the Japanese Market.i.e the JPX 800 Pro. This makes manufacturing and Marketing sense for a global player such as Mizuno.
Moral of the story: If you have the MX-300's,KEEP THEM! they are almost identical to the newer 800 Pros. If you can buy the MX300 at almost half the price of the 800 Pros, BUY THEM- and save some $$$.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1291239330' post='2818394']
Peronnaly,I beleive Mizuno just streamlined its product offering from two vey similar designs,to just one.And they chose to retain the one which was already being sold in the Japanese Market.i.e the JPX 800 Pro. This makes manufacturing and Marketing sense for a global player such as Mizuno.
Moral of the story: If you have the MX-300's,KEEP THEM! they are almost identical to the newer 800 Pros. If you can buy the MX300 at almost half the price of the 800 Pros, BUY THEM- and save some $$$.
[/quote]

totally agree. +1

[quote name='spartanglfr' timestamp='1291240587' post='2818422']
[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1291239330' post='2818394']
[/quote]

totally agree. +1
[/quote]

Another +1!
I freakin' LOVE my MX 300s too!
BUT! I just succumbed to the JPX 800 pros yesterday! (Bye, bye 300s and i15 s)