2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best short game book

I'd like to get one book that covers the short game for a beginner/high handicapper. In terms of the concepts taught as well as how clearly the material is to follow and understand, can anyone recommend which of these would be of greatest help: Mickelson, Utley or Pelz. Also, are they more or less the similar making the whole point moot or do they have different philosophies. No need to address putting here as I would prefer to get a separate book regarding putting.

Thanks as I can use all the help I can get

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get the Mickleson DVD - it's really very straightforward and I think it helps seeing the instruction in motion, albeit the wrong way round.

It's a great basis for your short game as it simplifies evertything into one swing idea (there's a bit on putting but I'm not really down with his theory there tbh)

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1

I like Utley's approach a lot. He differentiates between a chip and a pitch based on how contact is made with the ball and turf. His definition of a chip is a shot where the clubface strikes the ball first, then the sole of the club strikes the turf. In his world, a pitch is a shot where the bounce of the club strikes the turf just before the clubface makes contact with the ball. He says that this allows greater margin for error with the contact and produces a nice high soft shot that lands softly with little or no roll. He uses the same basic technique for pitches and basic sand shots.

Although not on your list, and not a short game book, Bobby Clampett's [i]The Impact Zone[/i] is excellent for learning short game technique. He teaches the swing based on learning five dynamics, each of which builds on what was learned previously.

The first three of his dynamics are directly applicable to the short game. He teaches a [b]flat left wrist[/b] through the putting stroke, the [b]forward swing point[/b] through chipping, and [b]loading the club[/b] through pitching. It's a natural progression that is easy to learn and develop, and is the foundation to a good full swing technique.

I have utley's book art of the short game and seen PM dvd. Both are excellent and I would say are the principles for my short game which is one wedge.

I had followed Pelz teaching using multiple wedges but didn't progress as well as I like. Plus Pelz's book are too long. KISS approach to the short game is a better and gives you more confidence.

Lots of votes for Mickelson DVD and a few for Utley. Looked up the Paul Runyan book as well as Ray Floyd's on Amazon. Cant tell much about the Table of Contents or a sample chapter.

For those with the Mickelson DVD, did you buy the book too. Is it redundant. So I'll get the DVD. Does anyone know if the book is more complimentary or redundant. A book would helpful when travelling without a computer or just to leaf back and forth. Any comments here on the companion book?

I have not seen the Mickelson dvd, but it sounds interesting. What is your full swing like? Do you prescribe to a certain method?

Utley's method lines up closely with a rotary type of swing. Whatever you choose, make sure you commit to the 'vanilla' set up they offer first, before you tweak it to fit your game. For Utley, once I got the two contact types down, I started adding variations in face angle, etc.

[quote name='dorfblee' timestamp='1283278403' post='2671618']
I have not seen the Mickelson dvd, but it sounds interesting. What is your full swing like? Do you prescribe to a certain method?

Utley's method lines up closely with a rotary type of swing. Whatever you choose, make sure you commit to the 'vanilla' set up they offer first, before you tweak it to fit your game. For Utley, once I got the two contact types down, I started adding variations in face angle, etc.
[/quote]

I am taking lessons on the full swing and with the exception of the driver which I tend to push to the right, my ball flight is pretty straight. My swing is fairly conventional, sort of following Hogan's approach in terms of swing arc, but as a senior my flexibility isnt what it was when I was 30 so making a full turn depends on how my back is feeling that day. Roughly my drives go about 195-210.

If any part of my game is ahead of the rest its putting. I seem to have a "feel" for that as a beginner, I have been averaging between 2 to 2.2 putts per round over the past 20 or so rounds. If I could pitch and chip a little better, I feel I could get more 1-putt greens and make up for a lot of what I lose in length.

Hope that answers your question

I've gone through Pelz, Mickelson DVD, and Utley. They all have good information, and I'm using Utley's technique right now. But that last piece shouldn't matter to you, because I might as well be the man on the moon. :)

[quote name='happyroman' timestamp='1283207106' post='2669689']
I like Utley's approach a lot. He differentiates between a chip and a pitch based on how contact is made with the ball and turf. His definition of a chip is a shot where the clubface strikes the ball first, then the sole of the club strikes the turf. In his world, a pitch is a shot where the bounce of the club strikes the turf just before the clubface makes contact with the ball. He says that this allows greater margin for error with the contact and produces a nice high soft shot that lands softly with little or no roll. He uses the same basic technique for pitches and basic sand shots.
[/quote]

Where does Utley make the differentiation of the strike between chip and pitch? He makes several references to the basic chip in the book, but for the life of me can't find where he describes how he does it. Even with the Utley setup for a pitch, I still try to hit the little ball before the big ball (Pelz speak), knowing that if I fail in that regard, the shot has a better chance of being serviceable.

I have both Utley's book and Mickelson's DVD, and Phil's DVD is far better. Utley's book, IMO, is missing key information and pictures in swing sequences that are needed to really illustrate his techniques. The bunker shot section was especially frustrating. It irritated me to pay $25 for the book and feel like Utley was being cagey with giving away his "secrets". Why write the book then?

Mickelson's DVD is great - every technique is explained (along with the common faults) and there is slo-mo of just about every type of shot to reinforce it. The production values are very good as well.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I don't believe there is a "best" short game book, or instructor... The best information can only be had as a compilation from a number of golf legends. Mine happen to be Nick Faldo, Jack Nicklaus and Ben Hogan; none of which claim short game guru status like a Pelz. or some others.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Phils DVD is good, but it would be much better if he described hinging action better and incorporated a bit of Lynn Blakes info on vertical and angle hinging. For chipping close around the green Stockton makes it simple and very useable

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

There have been some good threads here that really helped with the Utley method. For example, one key on bunker shots is to feel like your right elbow (for right-handers) goes straight up along your rib cage.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

Tom Watson's [i]Getting Up and Down [/i]is a very good introduction to the short game and is ideally suited to a novice player looking to learn the basics of a sound all-round short game which he can take away and use as the basis for some structured practice.

It lays out Watson's pitching, chipping and sand play thinking and techniques clearly and concisely, is well illustrated with some delightful Anthony Ravielli artwork and is readily available for just a few quid. It's a book I read as a youngster and one from which I learned a great deal. Although it's a few years old now, everything in it is still relevant and applicable to the modern game and equipment. The only real drawback is that the use of the lofted (60 degree or more) wedge is not covered.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

IMHO, and I have read a lot of golf instruction books.....

1. Utley, The Art of the Short Game- I really like his opinion on pitching, and chipping as well, other methods are good but his basic shots are the simpleist to repeat and once you get the feel of them give the most consistent results. I don't however like or have a feel for his sand and flop shot techniques.

2. Faldo's book A Swing For Life is good for teaching a variety of shots, you can pick up some ideas for different types of shots like the chip-putt

3. Nicklaus's book Golf My Way teaches some basic short game shots, he was not known for the short game but he gives a no nonsense approach that covers the basics.

4. Pelz, IMO he is too technical, some of his info is interesting but it is too mechanical for me, I like more of a one or two club approach, more feel but it works for some. Much like his putting Bible there are some great concepts but take it with a grain of salt, IMO.

5. I have not seen Phil's DVD but hear it is great and have seen some excerpts in magazines etc. I am sure it is a solid method and would not hesitate to watch it. Hinge and hold is the main theme from my understanding.

6. Runyan, I have not read his book but have read some of his philosophy, from my understanding he likes more of a putting motion, kind of old school but simple and effective.

7. Floyd, have not read his book but he is considered by many as the best chipper ever, the guy could hit a chip more accuratly than most could putt, I would like to pick it up

8. Check out Tom Watsons DVD as well

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1283440851' post='2675492']
I've gone through Pelz, Mickelson DVD, and Utley. They all have good information, and I'm using Utley's technique right now. But that last piece shouldn't matter to you, because I might as well be the man on the moon. :)

[quote name='happyroman' timestamp='1283207106' post='2669689']
[/quote]

Where does Utley make the differentiation of the strike between chip and pitch? He makes several references to the basic chip in the book, but for the life of me can't find where he describes how he does it. Even with the Utley setup for a pitch, I still try to hit the little ball before the big ball (Pelz speak), knowing that if I fail in that regard, the shot has a better chance of being serviceable.
[/quote]

On pages 25-26 of [i]The Art of the Short Game[/i], Utley says the following: "In a chip shot, you're reducing the loft of the club through impact and hitting the ball first, and then the ground with the leading edge of the club. In a pitch shot, you're playing the shaft in a more neutral position and hitting the ground with the bounce on the bottom of the club, and then the ball. That's it. The difference is in the kind of impact you create."

[quote name='happyroman' timestamp='1283555329' post='2678146']
On pages 25-26 of [i]The Art of the Short Game[/i], Utley says the following: "In a chip shot, you're reducing the loft of the club through impact and hitting the ball first, and then the ground with the leading edge of the club. In a pitch shot, you're playing the shaft in a more neutral position and hitting the ground with the bounce on the bottom of the club, and then the ball. That's it. The difference is in the kind of impact you create."
[/quote]

Thanks, Roman...

The chip motion should be shorter, so I thought he'd have a description somewhere. Some hit a chip like a putt (no lower body pivot).