2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

passed out at the course today

well i was playing 18 holes and the temperature was near the high 30's (celcius) and i had plenty of water (3 frozen bottles) and i had just gotten to the 7 tee and i was dead tired so i told my dad and brother im going to the club house ill join you after 9 or something well i got into the clubhouse and asked for a bottle of water and thats about all i can remeber after that i remember waking up and a bunch of people were around me asking my name and if my parents were here but i just couldnt talk everything was just a blurr and i could barly find the strength to move myself

this was not a fun experience but i dont know what this was ive felt like that before but then i was just not drinking enough water and after having some i was all good again

anyone else ever had an experience like this before

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a VERY serious case. it is lucky that you got into the clubhouse in time. this could led to heat stroke which may led to severe brain damage and even death. http://www.drreddy.com/heat.html

it is important to hydrate yourself while you are playing, it is advisable to drink beyond point of thrist. advise is, one day before the game, you should start to hydrate yourself. e.g. drink at least 1.5litre of water 2 hours before you sleep. It is very important to have sufficient sleep as well.

hope this helps.

Ian, I hope you are feeling much better. I play alot of golf in 90* or hotter weather. I always try to drink 2-5 litres of water per day (year round) and stay away from drinks with caffine. The caffine will dry you out. Drinking this much water keep you hydrated and is a healthier choice. One bottle of Gatorade per round will be enough to keep your electrolytes up too.

Mike

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I almost passed out on the course once, I was drinking plenty of water or a mix of diluted Gatorade but sometimes the heat just gets to you. I bent over to address the ball and the world started spinning, I just sat down on the fairway and yelled up to my group that I was done. Someone took my bag and we walked into the shade, luckily a ranger came around and he took me back to the clubhouse.

To prepare for the extreme heat, you might also want to take potassium supplements. That's a big one for muscle weakness.

It's not how...it's how many

I almost passed out on the course once, I was drinking plenty of water or a mix of diluted Gatorade but sometimes the heat just gets to you. I bent over to address the ball and the world started spinning, I just sat down on the fairway and yelled up to my group that I was done. Someone took my bad and we walked into the shade, luckily a ranger came around and he took me back to the clubhouse.

To prepare for the extreme heat, you might also want to take potassium supplements. That's a big one for muscle weakness.

Be careful with potassium...too much is how they execute people with lethal injection...Gatorade/PowerAde, water, loose clothing, a hat, and take your time...make sure you've eaten something before you get to the course also. Sometimes you just have to sit down for a while in the shade too. I've played a lot of golf in 90+ weather and nothing wipes me out quite like 18 holes in the heat.

I almost passed out on the course once, I was drinking plenty of water or a mix of diluted Gatorade but sometimes the heat just gets to you. I bent over to address the ball and the world started spinning, I just sat down on the fairway and yelled up to my group that I was done. Someone took my bad and we walked into the shade, luckily a ranger came around and he took me back to the clubhouse.

Be careful with potassium...too much is how they execute people with lethal injection...Gatorade/PowerAde, water, loose clothing, a hat, and take your time...make sure you've eaten something before you get to the course also. Sometimes you just have to sit down for a while in the shade too. I've played a lot of golf in 90+ weather and nothing wipes me out quite like 18 holes in the heat.

Very good advice shoe295!

The best thing for you body is WATER and TONS of it. If you start drinking water on the course it's too late, you need to start saturating your body the night before you play. It's easy to get rid of excess water, it's almost impossible to catch up on hydration when out in the sun though. I drink at least a quart of water before going to bed the night before a round.

This sort of thing is DEADLY serious. It sounds very simple, if you start feeling bad, get out of the sun. HOwever, these things happen so gradually that it's almost impossible for the victims to realize it's going on. It's very important to keep tabs on your mental state (and the mental states of your planing partners), because they often reveal the preliminary signs of dehydration / heat stroke. Irritabilit without provocation, blanking out, slow or slurred speach, incoherent thoughs, rambling are all signs that somone is in the preliminary stages of heat stroke or dehydration.

BE VERY CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

Heat exhaustion is definitely a serious matter. The tips given by the above posters are good ones. Hydrate yourself the day before, obviously. Also, eat good meals. Marathoners eat a bowl of pasta the day before their run. I am not saying golf is a marathon (although for some it may be!) but carbs are good for energy. Before your round, start drinking water/gatorade/powerade. Do not wait till you are thirsty and drink as you play.

Also, wear light colors and light clothing. Since I invested in some Adidas and Nike golf shirts that have the lightweight material and holes in them, I seem to sweat a lot less. These shirts are great. If you can get them, you should definitely wear them as there is a difference compared to say cotton polos. I used to wear cotton polos, but no more. While you are out on the course, always grab shade where you can. In fact, do not be embarrased to shade yourself under an umbrella...I have seen many golfers do this. And don't forget your sunscreen!

THERE IS ONE PRODUCT EVERYONE SHOULD GO OUT AND PURCHASE!!!!!! AMINO VITAL all the pros use it and i have been using it since February. it is great stuff....when it gets as hot as it is right now i warm up then drink a pack of it with a bottle of water. ill drink one at the turn and then probably another when im done....it keeps my energized and hydrated with all proper vitamins and amino acids which are important to have when sweating alot. You can find it at your local GNC,Vitamin Shoppe etc.

GoOsE

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

Oral Potassium taken via sports drinks or by eating bananas, say, is very unlikely to cause an acute rise in potassium within the time span of a single round of golf. High potassium levels are sometimes seen in people who take excessive amounts of potassium supplements but even then, they usually requires time to build up. The lethal injection is given intravenously and causes a rapid rise in potassium which arrives at the heart to cause a fatal arrythmia. The dose is also just a bit higher than a couple of bottles of sports drink. I wouldn't worry too much about the possibility.

Water alone can cause a problem of hyponatramia (low sodium) if appropriate supplements are not taken. This is what happens to some kids out clubbing who start drinking lots of water after taking ecstasy tablets (not recommended for golf, either).

So, I think drinking some water is fine, I do it myself, but have some sports drinks too.

mjtoal, I know you're a physician; however, I've got to disagree here.

Tap water (and most bottled waters) have MORE than enough magnesium, sodium, potassium, and chloride to provide your body with the neccessary electrolytes (in the US at least). Hyponatramia becomes an issue after the third or fourth gallon within a time period of four to five hours (usually brought on by some sort of dysfunction elsewhere in the body).

What sports drinks have far too much of is SUGAR (upwards of 20-30g) which is one of the best ways to dehydrate your body.

Stick with products like propel (just water an electrolytes) and if you're going to drink a sports drink, drink 3/4 the night before and DILUTE it as much as possible.

Just my $.02 fresh out of nephrology lectures! :drinks:

As I posted in another thread - it's VERY important to hydrate yourself with more than just simple water.

I always carry snacks, GU Gels, Powerbars, raisins, and maybe some crackers or something. All my years of competitive USCF bicycle racing taught me that you need to PREPARE for the heat, length, and exertion of any any athletic event. Granted - golf is nowhere as stressful as bicycle racing, but these products help me tremendously. Here are some of my hot weather tips:

I've lived in Hot Texas for years, and was a sponsored USCF bicycle racer since 1987, racing 80-100 mile races in 105* weather with no problems. So..........I feel that I'm pretty qualified to take the heat!

* Get Acclimated. Don't try to walk 18 holes on the first hot day of the year without being in the heat first. Get used to the heat, and what food/drinks help you recuperate in the heat. Sweating is good. But replacing minerals lost through sweating is better.

* Drink water AND an Electrolyte replacement drink. Gator/Powerade is fine if you can't find anything else, but I recommend something better, like Endurox R4, Cytomax, etc., commonly found in bicycle shops

* Ride instead of walk. Obviously - this helps keep your energy expenditures to a minimum.

* Some fruits are good during the summer. I see a lot of people eating Bananas for the potassium replacement.

* Wear a larger hat, with ventilation. The "Tilley" hats are super for this. While they look silly - those funky white hats with the long tails on the sides/back (you'll see these in adventure movies sometimes) work great also.

* Stand/walk in the shade trees whenever possible.

* NO Cotton - Cotton gets damp, wet, and soaked with your sweat. I like different fabrics like microfiber, and other clothing that will allow your sweat to evaporate better.

* I use a wet bandanna wrapped around my neck. This keeps your jugular vein cool, and helps cool you down tremendously.

* After the round, drink a recovery drink with some protein in it. I use the Endurox R4 product. Another option is a smoothie with a wheatgrass shot.

clivfce04.jpg

cytvfbe04.jpg

Sam's got it right. :drinks: I've also learned all about how to manage my sensitivity to heat during bike racing, and golf by comparison is a cool walk in the park. Get yourself ready starting the day before (at least), stuff like cytomax is GREAT (actually my fave product). I don't use the recommended serving due to not liking so much sugar, so 1 scoop per 28 oz. water bottle. Even on the course if I buy a gatorade, I'll drink part of it then cut it with water.

Proper clothing, covering your head and sunscreen are all vital in the heat.

As a kid I used to get heat and sunsick all the time. The last time it happened I was riding in well over 105+ degrees temp in Colorado with a hot wind and baking sun. I started hallucinating (thought I saw my father riding towards me on a bike), and stopped at the first store, sat in the shade, drinking water and gatorade recovering.

Be careful out there people! :drinks:

I was told to hydrate with water before the round and during the round drink a sport drink. It is the before round preperations that are more important.

BTW Hope you are all better now!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 2 weeks later...