2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Oklahoma (Tulsa) Golfers. WRX Outings.

mission_scratch

[quote name='shanerbanner10' timestamp='1429740520' post='11419489']
[quote name='Ricky Ross' timestamp='1427490797' post='11229917']
OK its that time of year fellas. Who wants to get a group outing going?
[/quote]

Sign me up. Haven't played a round yet this season but am ready whenever anyone else is.
[/quote]

What days work best ?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, literately any day. Its finals week at TU so I'm free all week this week and most of the week next week.

• Titleist TSR2 9* AD-VF 6x
  • Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Red 7x
  • Titleist T200 3-5 Modus 105T X
  • Titleist 620MB 6-9  Modus 105T X
  • Titleist Vokey- Sm9 Raw 46*/10 50*/12 54*/12  58*/08 DG TI 400
  • Scotty Cameron Monoblock 6.5

I think I'm playing Meadow Brook Sunday. This will complete my Tulsa country club's experience. I've played Southern Hills (worked there/caddied there), Tulsa Country Club (member invited me to join), Cedar Ridge (member invite), and a couple others. Just have Patriot left... Anyone know a guy? lol

Played Meadowbrook for the first time Sunday. This "public course" golfer was very impressed with the greens: firm, fast and true. Are they always that nice ... is that just what country club golf is like and I need suck it up and join somewhere?

If anyone has a comparison on the (normal) conditions at Meadowbrook compared to Indian Springs, I'd be interested to hear.

WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS, stock stiff, 9*
3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max, stock stiff, 15*,
Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18*
Irons: Callaway Apex (2014) 4-AW, KBS Tour-V 110 S
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

I played Meadowbrook for the first time Sunday as well. I honestly didn't think the greens were THAT nice. I thought Forest Ridges' greens were on par with them. The fairways were really dry to me. Fun course. We played a 4 man scramble. It was a good time.
I haven't played Indian Springs since my teen years (10+ years ago) so can't give you a comparison there. I will never forget Southern Hills' greens though. Those are the best there are.

• 2 months later...

Hey crew. Fellow Oklahoman checking in. I'm curious how the conditions are up there in Oklahoma this summer? I'll be in town this coming weekend and looking to play Sunday morning with a buddy. I've been thinking of Whitehawk, Cherokee Hills, Heritage Hills, Bailey Ranch, Page Belcher, etc. but really have no idea who's keeping their course up to standard this year.

[size=1]SLDR 9.5* TP-X[/size]
[size=1]SLDR 15*[/size]
[size=1]SLDR 22*[/size]
[size=1]716 AP2 4-P S300[/size]
[size=1]50, 54, 60 SM5[/size]
[size=1]SC Squareback/size]

• 4 weeks later...

cpayton, Sorry this crew didn't respond to your original question. I've got the same question again, a month later :).

What public course around the Tulsa area is in the best shape right now? I was over at Page Belcher chipping and putting this week and they had punched the greens.

I was at La Fortune a couple of weeks ago. They had some thick rough, but the greens always seem so soft and beat-up by the end of the day (when I usually get to play).

So here is the question again, which public course in the Tulsa area has the best conditions right now?

Thanks WRXers!

WITB

jjrussell12, sorry, but I don't have any input on Meadowbrook.

I can (partially) answer my prior question:

White Hawk: greens are in pretty terrible condition. They've completely lost a few on the back 9 (12, 13 and 14 if memory serves). Front nine was in pretty normal Whitehawk condition ... not bad, greens a little beat-up with unrepaired ball marks.

Forest Ridge: I don't play here often, so I don't know if this is normal, but I thought the course was in fantastic condition. I played late in the day after a tournament and the greens looks little bumpy/frayed around the hole, but the the ball rolled amazingly true and the rest of the course, tees, fairway, rough, green surrounds were in fantastic condition.

Anyone played Cherokee Hills lately? How are conditions there?

WITB

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='OK_Golf' timestamp='1439580344' post='12138194']
jjrussell12, sorry, but I don't have any input on Meadowbrook.

I can (partially) answer my prior question:

White Hawk: greens are in pretty terrible condition. They've completely lost a few on the back 9 (12, 13 and 14 if memory serves). Front nine was in pretty normal Whitehawk condition ... not bad, greens a little beat-up with unrepaired ball marks.

Forest Ridge: I don't play here often, so I don't know if this is normal, but I thought the course was in fantastic condition. I played late in the day after a tournament and the greens looks little bumpy/frayed around the hole, but the the ball rolled amazingly true and the rest of the course, tees, fairway, rough, green surrounds were in fantastic condition.

Anyone played Cherokee Hills lately? How are conditions there?
[/quote]

Cherokee greens are in good shape. Meadowbrook are in fantastic shape just a little slow.
Its been a rough year around town for a lot of the courses. Southern hills is having to redo their greens along with about 4-5 other courses that I know of.
Broken arrow golf and athletic has lost all of their greens pretty much.
I'm Playing Stone Creek tomorrow hope they are still fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone played Clary Fields lately? I haven't played it in years and I thought it was kind of a fun course, but I never hear anyone talking about it. Wondering if conditioning is bad or if it's just too "out of the way".

WITB

[quote name='OK_Golf' timestamp='1441813215' post='12287666']
Has anyone played Clary Fields lately? I haven't played it in years and I thought it was kind of a fun course, but I never hear anyone talking about it. Wondering if conditioning is bad or if it's just too "out of the way".
[/quote]

Meh... They took out all the bunkers this year to "reduce maintenance cost". It's all grass where they used to be.

Thanks for the feedback Ricky.

I played Old Page on Sunday afternoon. I can never quite decide how I feel about the place ... price is right (cheap), but it shows (in some places). Bunkers in poor shape, no real rough to speak off and areas off the fairways are hit or miss: maybe hard pan, maybe rocks, maybe ankle deep gunch ... of course maybe that's what you should get when you miss the fairway (ha, ha, ha).

I'm puzzled by the greens though. They are Bermuda so you would think coming off this pretty hot July/August they would be in the best shape they could ever be in. They are very firm and fast, but they are bumpy, too. I think they punched them, but it has to be at least 3 weeks ago and they are still bumpy and don't roll true. I like the golf course design and the elevation changes, but I wish it was just in 20% better condition.

I think it would be interesting for Page Belcher to pick one of their courses and charge $20 more to play it and keep it nicer condition ... they would still have the second course at Page and the two courses at Mohawk that can be bargain basement. Thoughts?

Anyone else get out in this beautiful weather we're having?

WITB

I honestly think you can't be La Fortunes sunset rate right now. Its 13$ to ride after 530. I've been playing a lot there. I played Battle Creek recently. Its as nice as its ever been.

I enjoy playing BlackJack Canyons quite a bit. Its a fun course.

Both Page Courses are usually decent. I think every Tulsa city golf course has crappy bunkers.

I hadn't played Cherokee Hills or whatever its called in 10 years until this summer and I really enjoyed that course. Probably my favorite I've played this year.

You're right you can't beat La Fortune at sunset its great, if the crowds aren't too big.

I haven't played Cherokee Hills this year, but I always like what sort of shape the course is in. The first 6 holes beat me up so bad, I get depressed, then I play better on the easier back 9. I don't really like #6. #9 is fun tee shot, but I can't seem to hit that fairway or that green!

WITB

• 11 months later...

Reviving an old thread.

Has anyone played Cherokee Hills lately? What are conditions like out there?

Thanks Oklahoma Wrxers.

WITB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Would be interested in meeting/playing ... just mid-(to high) 80's shooter constantly trying to 'figure it out'.

I'm usually confined to weekends, so those of you with flexible schedules probably prefer weekdays, but if you get something going I'd be interested to hear about it.

WITB

• 7 months later...

Reviving a long-lost thread here. Just wanted to throw-out some local info and see where you all are playing this summer:

1. Played La Fortune for the first time in a long time over 4th of July weekend and was very pleasantly surprised with the conditions, particularly of the greens: smooth, fast (for La Fortune) and firm. Usually the greens are too soft and spongy due to the heat and all the water applied. Not sure if they have "figured something out" from a greenskeeping standpoint or were just benefiting from a relatively mild early summer around here. Interested to here how they are fairing in this latest heat wave.

2. Forest Ridge remains my favorite public course. Using the club card makes it a good value in my opinion and I always love the condition of the course. Greens were starting to get moderately slower with the heat when I played on Sunday.

Where is everyone else playing? What's the word on White Hawks bermuda greens? I have officially given up on Page Belcher as it's always in terrible condition. Any of you private club members just over-joyed with your membership? I saw Golf Club of OK's website changed and announced new management. Everyone still happy there? I also noticed they have a membership category on their website titled "Golf Membership" which was separate from "Full Membership". Anyone know that difference is?

Hope everyone around Tulsa is having a great golf summer.

WITB

• 6 months later...

alright gents. this is the only thread I could find with an Oklahoma title attached to it (edit: and it looks like it's been reeeeeal quiet, but I'm gonna try anyway). if a dude from Arizona was on a road trip through there in July of '18, where would a local tell him he should consider playing one round, maybe two?

• 3 weeks later...

alright gents. this is the only thread I could find with an Oklahoma title attached to it (edit: and it looks like it's been reeeeeal quiet, but I'm gonna try anyway). if a dude from Arizona was on a road trip through there in July of '18, where would a local tell him he should consider playing one round, maybe two?

which part of the state are you coming through, OKC or Tulsa?

yeah man, coming from Phoenix up the 35 through OKC. on the way to Kansas.

If you can get on, go play Twin Hills Country Club, literally right off I-35. If going public is what you're after, I'd go to Lincoln Park and play the West course. (Across I-35 from Twin Hills lol) Other options would be Jimmie Austin down in Norman if you are an OU fan, $115 to play is not worth it IMO though. Also, if this is like a one time to Oklahoma thing, drive past OKC on I-35 and stop in Stillwater. Pony up to play Karsten Creek then eat at Eskimo Joe's, you will NOT be disappointed.

If you can get on, go play Twin Hills Country Club, literally right off I-35. If going public is what you're after, I'd go to Lincoln Park and play the West course. (Across I-35 from Twin Hills lol) Other options would be Jimmie Austin down in Norman if you are an OU fan, $115 to play is not worth it IMO though. Also, if this is like a one time to Oklahoma thing, drive past OKC on I-35 and stop in Stillwater. Pony up to play Karsten Creek then eat at Eskimo Joe's, you will NOT be disappointed.

Excellent info, and thank you! I have been looking into Karsten Creek. I had heard they were private and not taking rounds of outside play. asked my PING rep here in Phoenix to ask around the company if there are any hooks to get out there, but I'm only giving that a very slight chance.

Excellent info, and thank you! I have been looking into Karsten Creek. I had heard they were private and not taking rounds of outside play. asked my PING rep here in Phoenix to ask around the company if there are any hooks to get out there, but I'm only giving that a very slight chance.

No it is a public course. It does cost $350 I believe to play, but if you can find a member or PGA member they can get you on for $150, which is definitely worth it. $350 is really steep, as great as a course as it is.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, new member here from Owasso. I live on Bailey Ranch...down to play some rounds with WRX OK gang if you're still meeting up.

Ping G400 - 8.5 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV X-Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash - 3W - Fujikura 757 TR 

Callaway Epic Flash - 5W - HZRDUS Smoke 

Mizuno MP20 - 4-7 MMC, 8-P MB - Project X LZ

Vokey SM6 - 52/56/60 - DG S200

Evnroll - ER5 

Kenny, tried to send you a PM but it said you cannot accept any messages at this time???

Shoot me a message when you get a chance...