2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Heading to Torrey Pines, thoughts?tips?

Hawkeye77

Visiting Palm Springs in March and will drive over to play Torrey Pines (have a tee time reserved on the South Course and looking forward to it already).

Anyone who lives near or has played there have any helpful thoughts or suggestions on any aspect of the trip: good places to eat nearby, thoughts about the course, thoughts about play/holes, anecdotes, anything and everything would be appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are playing the south in March, you may want to call to check on conditions first. Before and After the Farmer's they are perfect. However, they tend to do so verti-cutting/punching of greens after the tournament. If you like Mexican food, San Diego is the place to eat Mexican. Lots of Mexican restaurants there. Also, so that you are not shocked when you play, Your round will be $230.... excluding cart. Your cart will be $30. As someone who has played TPS almost 100 times, I will have to say that personally, I do not think it is worth that amount of money. There is a big misconception that golf is good in San Diego. Not so. Weather is fantastic..... golf.... unless you belong to a private club.... actually sucks.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

[quote name='golfnhack' timestamp='1295652020' post='2913613']
If you are playing the south in March, you may want to call to check on conditions first. Before and After the Farmer's they are perfect. However, they tend to do so verti-cutting/punching of greens after the tournament. If you like Mexican food, San Diego is the place to eat Mexican. Lots of Mexican restaurants there. Also, so that you are not shocked when you play, Your round will be $230.... excluding cart. Your cart will be $30. As someone who has played TPS almost 100 times, I will have to say that personally, I do not think it is worth that amount of money. There is a big misconception that golf is good in San Diego. Not so. Weather is fantastic..... golf.... unless you belong to a private club.... actually sucks.
[/quote]

The person that took the tee time information was kind enough to volunteer that when the greens would be aerated, which will be a couple of weeks before we go, I appreciated he made sure I knew that before committing to the time.

[/quote]
I'm a San Diego resident and while the year 'round weather is arguably the best you can find in all of the US, I would have to agree that most of the courses are not in premium condition. There are some great layouts and typically lots of elevation changes, etc., but when I go to Palm Springs/Palm Desert, I am blown away with how flawless they keep up their courses.

Would agree with the Mexican Food as a must. The typical tourist thing to do is go to Old Town for Mexican Food. This place is also pretty good and just up the coast a bit from Torrey Pines:

[url="http://www.lasolasmex.com/cardiff.php"]http://www.lasolasmex.com/cardiff.php[/url]

There are tons of great restaurants in La Jolla down Prospect Street, near La Jolla cove. You need to make sure you visit there sometimes. One of my favorite Mexican restaurants is called Miguel's Cocina, in Coronado - right across the street from the historical Hotel Del Coronado.

I have played the South Course a handful of times, one time the rough was cut very long, other times just "longer than average." When it was "US Open type cut," while the views were great, I started to not enjoy the round. I'm about a 15 handicap and it was just too much for me to handle. You aslo need to be a long ball hitter, since most of their Par 4s go 450 to 470 yards from the blue tees. They are still about 450 from the white tees, as well.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='JCLJorgenson' timestamp='1295675033' post='2914422']
[/quote]
I'm a San Diego resident and while the year 'round weather is arguably the best you can find in all of the US, I would have to agree that most of the courses are not in premium condition. There are some great layouts and typically lots of elevation changes, etc., but when I go to Palm Springs/Palm Desert, I am blown away with how flawless they keep up their courses.

Would agree with the Mexican Food as a must. The typical tourist thing to do is go to Old Town for Mexican Food. This place is also pretty good and just up the coast a bit from Torrey Pines:

[url="http://www.lasolasmex.com/cardiff.php"]http://www.lasolasmex.com/cardiff.php[/url]

There are tons of great restaurants in La Jolla down Prospect Street, near La Jolla cove. You need to make sure you visit there sometimes. One of my favorite Mexican restaurants is called Miguel's Cocina, in Coronado - right across the street from the historical Hotel Del Coronado.

I have played the South Course a handful of times, one time the rough was cut very long, other times just "longer than average." When it was "US Open type cut," while the views were great, I started to not enjoy the round. I'm about a 15 handicap and it was just too much for me to handle. You aslo need to be a long ball hitter, since most of their Par 4s go 450 to 470 yards from the blue tees. They are still about 450 from the white tees, as well.
[/quote]

Appreciate the lead on the restaurant, looks like it isn't at all far from the ocean, and we love Mexican food.

Still 3 1/2 weeks to go, if anyone has some thoughts. (And, we are definitely playing, tee times made, so please don't bring me down if you don't like the course).

You should check out Fidels in Solana Beach. One of the best Mexican joints around where you can sit down and be served. The food is ridiculous. Only a short drive up the coast from the course. (The locals will probably hate me for spreading the word)

Also, unless you are 7 or under, I'd suggest swallowing your pride and playing from the whites. It's plenty challenging even from there.
Get to the course early if you want to hit balls. You have to allow time for walking to/from range which is a ways away from the clubhouse.
And get a good warm up in. First hole is a beast of a par 4. Especially if the pin is back right and there is ocean breeze.

TM Superfast 1.0 10.5 deg w/ Kai'Li
TM 2017 M2 15 deg
Adams Idea Tour Proto 20deg
Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

Don't be greedy out of the rough. Take your poison and just be sure to get out w/o injuring yourself. First time I played Torrey I hit a decent shot 4 yards in the rough and tried to hit a 6 iron to the green. Thought I had hurt my wrist and made sure to never hit more than an 8 iron out of that stuff the rest of the day. Just play the correct tees, don't be a hero, and you'll have a blast!!

This is great, really appreciating the contributions. Will definitely not be trying to play from tees any farther back than should be, but good to be reminded of that.

We're driving over from Palm Desert/Springs area where the weather is pretty much a constant. Not like we won't check the forecast, but how variable can the weather conditions be in March in San Diego area?

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1297713377' post='2976874']
The ball will break to the ocean, even if it doesn't look like it will. I watched several putts break uphill like this.
[/quote]

Interesting. Was listening to Mickelson interviewed during the tournament couple of weeks ago and he was suggesting that [u]some [/u]of the regular ocean breaks he used to see had been changed with some of the redoing greens and that putts were now breaking away from the bunkers instead of towards ocean in some cases. Frankly, I didn't really get what he was talking about, and didn't know whether he just meant on certain spots (I'm sure he knows these greens intimately) or "in general", and how significant that was.

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1297737951' post='2978087']
[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1297713377' post='2976874']
The ball will break to the ocean, even if it doesn't look like it will. I watched several putts break uphill like this.
[/quote]

Interesting. Was listening to Mickelson interviewed during the tournament couple of weeks ago and he was suggesting that [u]some [/u]of the regular ocean breaks he used to see had been changed with some of the redoing greens and that putts were now breaking away from the bunkers instead of towards ocean in some cases. Frankly, I didn't really get what he was talking about, and didn't know whether he just meant on certain spots (I'm sure he knows these greens intimately) or "in general", and how significant that was.
[/quote]

It just means that the familiar greens Phil played for 30 years are different after the Jones renovation. What that means or how that will help the first time player, not at all. For sure, the general slope of the property leans toward the ocean.

Palm Springs to Torrey is a haul. If you are not familiar with SoCal traffic, be sure to take extra time.

• 3 weeks later...

Teeing off in just over a week. Really appreciate the insights so far, love to hear any other opinions regarding actual play (but don't tell me I'm wasting my time, that decision is already made!).

Taking your traffic suggestion to heart, and will allow plenty of time to get there.

As an aside (and not trying to get anything going at all), surprised that Torrey elicits so many negative opinions (mostly from a cost standpoint, however, which I can understand if you live out there). Still, it's considered one of the best courses in the U.S., and it will be fun to judge for ourselves. I think it will be fun just to get away from the desert for one day, see the ocean, maybe even have to put on a sweater if we get lucky and catch the right weather. The desert courses are beautiful, but just not a big desert fan.