Recent trip to Tampa - What's with the attitude?

J.A.Wise

In order to have a better chance with the weather, my golf buddies and I decided to go to Tampa to play this year. I have played a few rounds in the past in the Tampa area and had some good experiences, so I looked forward to try out some new courses. I will not be naming courses by name because I am not trying to turn this into a gossip column.

We played 7 rounds of golf on 5 different courses in 4 days. At every course the guys in the pro shop were complete d-bags. They were the most unfriendly & ruddiest people I have ever met at a golf course. It made you feel like they were doing you a favor letting you play their course. For a business that is hurting (along with the rest of the economy) you would think they would make a better effort to be more customer friendly. I am not asking people to make me feel like a VIP at their course, but how hard is it to smile and give a friendly greeting. Is it just a midwest thing to make people feel welcome?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's too bad when u have an experience like that! especially, when u are on vacation trying to have a good time. i would have definitely complained and stirred to pot a bit. on my trip last year to bay hill (orlando, fl) the only d-bag i ran into was an older gentleman who reminded me (from across the parking lot) that i had to have my shirt tucked in - dude, i just got out of the car! the rest of the folks were nice though!

[quote name='J.A.Wise' timestamp='1299030859' post='3017413']<br />In order to have a better chance with the weather, my golf buddies and I decided to go to Tampa to play this year. I have played a few rounds in the past in the Tampa area and had some good experiences, so I looked forward to try out some new courses. I will not be naming courses by name because I am not trying to turn this into a gossip column.<br /> We played 7 rounds of golf on 5 different courses in 4 days. At every course the guys in the pro shop were complete d-bags. They were the most unfriendly &amp; ruddiest people I have ever met at a golf course. It made you feel like they were doing you a favor letting you play their course. For a business that is hurting (along with the rest of the economy) you would think they would make a better effort to be more customer friendly. I am not asking people to make me feel like a VIP at their course, but how hard is it to smile and give a friendly greeting. Is it just a midwest thing to make people feel welcome?<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />

I live in the area and I agree 100%. I'm 31 years old and I worked at 5 different courses in the area when I was younger (18-23). It was pretty laid back, most courses were generally pretty friendly. But I've noticed in the last year or so the same thing you mentioned. The pro shop guys or those working the register just don't come across as being friendly. I don't know how to describe it, but I'm with you on this one.

[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1299072189' post='3018692']
Next time, go to World Woods Golf Club. It is an hour north of Tampa. Great golf courses, very friendly people.
[/quote]
Except the Nazi Player Assistants.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

I just got back yesterday from Tampa, I'm not disagreeing with you because I have run into a few A-h's at a few of the courses but I run into that here in Dayton too. I would be very interested in knowing which courses you didn't like because I know that there are probably a few on your list that I would recognize. I have to say that for the most part I have had pretty good experiences in and around Tampa. I go down every month in the winter to keep the cobwebs off my game. Luckily I have relatives living in Clearwater and so far they love having me down. Over the years I have played a lot of courses around Tampa/Clearwater/Sarasota and most of the time I have had good experiences. It really surprises me that anyone around that area would treat customers poorly because golf is not booming like it was 10 years ago, they have to work to get people on their courses. If you look there are a lot of private courses going public and you can get on a lot of the private courses because they need money. I played three courses this time that I have not played before. One was Fox Hollow, the second was Cheval and the third was Southern Hills Plantation CC, that was my favorite. SHPCC is a Pete Dye course and it doesn't look like you are playing in Florida, it looks more like N. Carolina. I like a lot of the courses around Tampa but there are a couple I will never play again. Just to give you an example, one of my favorite course was Westchase GC. They have really raised the prices there plus they are not very friendly. They have raised the price to $99.00 and it is not a $99 course. But you know what, there are a lot of courses who want your business. What was funny is that on Sunday I drove past Westchase and I didn't see anyone on the first 5 holes, you would think that one might lower the price to around $65 and fill the place up. But I think they believe that if they charge more they will be considered a primere course, not true. I am going back at the end of March and I will probably play the Legacy in Sarasota, Southern HIlls again and Plantation Palms. I haven't played the TPC lately so I will probably include that one. Overall, it's all pretty good in Tampa and I plan on going back many times.

[quote name='Mward2002' timestamp='1299084764' post='3019259']
Sometimes you just catch people on a bad day. Most of the time they're normally not that stuck up or irritated looking.

Were they private, resort, or semi public?
[/quote]

2 were private but offered us a 1 day membership, the other 3 were semi-private.

[quote name='Pingguy58' timestamp='1299102754' post='3020359']
I just got back yesterday from Tampa, I'm not disagreeing with you because I have run into a few A-h's at a few of the courses but I run into that here in Dayton too. I would be very interested in knowing which courses you didn't like because I know that there are probably a few on your list that I would recognize. I have to say that for the most part I have had pretty good experiences in and around Tampa. I go down every month in the winter to keep the cobwebs off my game. Luckily I have relatives living in Clearwater and so far they love having me down. Over the years I have played a lot of courses around Tampa/Clearwater/Sarasota and most of the time I have had good experiences. It really surprises me that anyone around that area would treat customers poorly because golf is not booming like it was 10 years ago, they have to work to get people on their courses. If you look there are a lot of private courses going public and you can get on a lot of the private courses because they need money. I played three courses this time that I have not played before. One was Fox Hollow, the second was Cheval and the third was Southern Hills Plantation CC, that was my favorite. SHPCC is a Pete Dye course and it doesn't look like you are playing in Florida, it looks more like N. Carolina. I like a lot of the courses around Tampa but there are a couple I will never play again. Just to give you an example, one of my favorite course was Westchase GC. They have really raised the prices there plus they are not very friendly. They have raised the price to $99.00 and it is not a $99 course. But you know what, there are a lot of courses who want your business. What was funny is that on Sunday I drove past Westchase and I didn't see anyone on the first 5 holes, you would think that one might lower the price to around $65 and fill the place up. But I think they believe that if they charge more they will be considered a primere course, not true. I am going back at the end of March and I will probably play the Legacy in Sarasota, Southern HIlls again and Plantation Palms. I haven't played the TPC lately so I will probably include that one. Overall, it's all pretty good in Tampa and I plan on going back many times.
[/quote]

We probably played some of the same course's. And it didn't seem to matter what price we paid the results with the staff were the same. I have played mostly in Orlando in the past and don't remember anyone having that kind of attitude.
I did get a chance to go to my favorite golf store why I was there, the guys at Edwin Watts are always very helpful. I ended up trying out the new Callaway Razr hybrids and bought one. But that's another topic.

[quote name='J.A.Wise' timestamp='1299108284' post='3020655']
Sometimes you just catch people on a bad day. Most of the time they're normally not that stuck up or irritated looking.

[/quote]

2 were private but offered us a 1 day membership, the other 3 were semi-private.
[/quote]

J.A. Please go ahead and name the courses. I'm awfully curious.

Thanks, Ben

[quote name='benkodi' timestamp='1299319649' post='3027645']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, Ben
[/quote]

You know if it was just one or two courses I may mention their names, but all 5 courses is not a course issue it's a people issue.

[quote name='J.A.Wise' timestamp='1299345602' post='3028156']
[quote name='benkodi' timestamp='1299319649' post='3027645']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, Ben
[/quote]

You know if it was just one or two courses I may mention their names, but all 5 courses is not a course issue it's a people issue.
[/quote]
stop being such a pansy and name the courses. no one knows, or cares, who you are in real life.

it is a course issue if the courses are employing the people that you are having an issue with.

J.A., don't worry, they won't put your name on a list and blackball you from courses in Tampa. Come on, I named one, you will be doing everyone who goes to the Tampa area a favor. Trust me, there are a lot of good courses in that area with friendly employees. Two I played a couple of weeks ago were great, Fox Hollow and Cheval, very friendly people. Don't be afraid to say something to the guy, ask him if he's having a bad day, let them know that they are being discourtious. Just remember, most of the people you deal with at those $100 courses wouldn't pay the fee to play there, most of them are retired and on fixed incomes and can't afford it. That's why they work there, they can play it for $0. I know that sounds a little crass but honestly, when someone gives me attitude I give it back double. I'm 62 yrs old and I'm not taking attitude from sales person especially when I'm handing them a 100 dollar bill. So, let us know, I'm going back in a couple of weeks and I'll check 'em out.

If the staff is poor, they might as well put up a fence around the place and put in a courteous and efficient self-service kiosk with a turnstile. There's way too many courses with good staffs out there. Promote the good ones, and that will tell people to stay away from the bad ones. There's no excuse for what you experienced, especially at 5 different courses.

Living in Tampa I have played many, many courses here and while most of the people are nice it seems to me that the absolute rudest people are the older gentlemen that moved here to retire and get a little power (their version of power) working at "their" course. The odd thing to me is that most courses do very little in my area about slow play or enforcing ANY kind of dress code. And i am certainly no golf snob but dont play the tips when you cant break 100, dont wear jeans and a t-shirt, and dont wait for the green to clear when you're 250 out and you're drive went 200. Basic stuff here. And when i say you/you're i am not speaking to anyone in this thread, just speaking in general terms. It does suck to be treated poorly when you show up, there is just no reason to bring your issues to the course when i am trying to enjoy myself. Sorry Tampa treated you poorly, but we do have a lot of nice courses and by and large very nice people working them.

[quote name='CardamoneLaw' timestamp='1300393752' post='3064754']
Living in Tampa I have played many, many courses here and while most of the people are nice it seems to me that the absolute rudest people are the older gentlemen that moved here to retire and get a little power (their version of power) working at "their" course. The odd thing to me is that most courses do very little in my area about slow play or enforcing ANY kind of dress code. And i am certainly no golf snob but dont play the tips when you cant break 100, dont wear jeans and a t-shirt, and dont wait for the green to clear when you're 250 out and you're drive went 200. Basic stuff here. And when i say you/you're i am not speaking to anyone in this thread, just speaking in general terms. It does suck to be treated poorly when you show up, there is just no reason to bring your issues to the course when i am trying to enjoy myself. Sorry Tampa treated you poorly, but we do have a lot of nice courses and by and large very nice people working them.
[/quote]

Thank you for your comment. I am sure their are many places in Tampa that treat there guest well, I was just taken back by the courses we played.

I've lived in Tampa since 1996 and played every decent course in the area. I've skipped a few POS muni's, but I'm sure all of the courses on your list I've played more than once. That said, I can't think of 5 total times in 15 years where I've had the kind of experiences you're describing. I'd be very interested in hearing which courses are involved since it seems you played some decent ones (private and semi-private).

Kevin

In my experience, it seems that whenever you play a "destination" resort area at the end of the season the service blows. Its pretty irritating to travel somewhere for a vacation and get treated like dirt from the staff.

I make a point of calling out the courses either on a forum like this, in which I would start a new thread, as well as sending a polite ( yet firm) email to the general manager of the resort or course. It puts the ball in his court to either solve the issue or never expect my business again.

Ask yourself - would you pay top dollar at a restaurant to be treated the same way, then come back again?