Ping Rapture spin vs. G5

Hanzbrix

I've read multiple places that the G5 head is a high spin head. Has Ping released any info on their intentions with the Rapture? I would GUESS that it would be a low spin (hi launch) head for two reasons:

1) They are saying it will be maintained as an alternative, not replacement, to the G5. Why offer an alternative that performs the same?

2) Aren't most composite drivers being offered as the low-spin option and all-metals being kept as high spin with the other manufacturers?

Of course, I don't know crap about any of this so it's just a bunch of conjecture. What it comes down to is, I'm in the market for a new driver and was hoping to find something low-spin to help keep my natural fade under control. I'm currently fairly successful with my current driver (10.5* Golfsmith Python w/ 65 Proforce V2) but it is being relagated to a "travel set" I'm keeping in a second home. This opens way for a new driver @ home and with a +18 handicap, straighter is always better.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I'm also planning on trying the HiBore and the Fusion. Just trying to decide if I should wait on the Rapture to come out before I go in for a fitting and launch monitor session. The travel set is gonna be 1000 miles away as of the 21st, so (like the club ho I am) I'm not sure how well I'll be able to wait for Ping to get around to shipping things. Not to mention I'm not wild about paying "first in the door" pricing... but I do like the "classic" (kinda relative in this sense, but you know what I mean) looks of the G5.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering the same thing. My G5 with a V2 x-flex seemed to bring down my spin rate a bit, but will/could the new Rapture with either the same x-flex V2 or with the available VS Proto in x-flex further reduce my spin rate. My driver SS is about 110, 6 handicap with too much spin on drives. Thanks for any input.

Tim

i'm not sure where you got the info, but the G5 is a very low spin, high launch head. the G5/V2 combo is a great combo for those needing to lower spinrate. I can tell you from personal fitting that the G5/GD YS+ tour is even less spin. I went from 2600/13 deg launch to 1800/14 deg launch with the GD.

as far as the rapture, i have been told that it launches 1 deg higher than a comparable G5...as far as spinrate, I was not able to test it with a suitable shaft, so I am not sure yet.

From the hourses mouth "Ping Rep". I had a meeting with the Ping rep on Thursday and as per our conversation: Rapture Driver tested mechanicaly hits the ball 5 yards longer with les spin and higher launch angel compared to with the G5. The Rapture also has saved 20g of weight compared with the G2 with the carbon toe and extreme wall thinning.

Sound was the biggest concern when this driver was made, they made sure it did not thud like other compostite drivers on the market. Also it is important to add that this driver was design to sell as a premium priced driver with the selling point being as this driver is a status symbol.

Saw the new product last week. It is my understanding that with the composite head, mixed with a brand new shaft that ping says is one of the best out by their testing, this club is a very low spin head. They have a new TFC shaft in this bad boy that is a little lighter, but i think a heavier shaft is an option.

Another point is that some will have trouble with a low launch. Retail will probably have to convince that can['t let their egos go that they will probably need a 10.5* or 12* loft. The club, to my understanding, is not available in any loft under 9*. And yes, the sound is solid.

Hope this helps.

Saw the new product last week. It is my understanding that with the composite head, mixed with a brand new shaft that ping says is one of the best out by their testing, this club is a very low spin head. They have a new TFC shaft in this bad boy that is a little lighter, but i think a heavier shaft is an option.

Another point is that some will have trouble with a low launch. Retail will probably have to convince that can['t let their egos go that they will probably need a 10.5* or 12* loft. The club, to my understanding, is not available in any loft under 9*. And yes, the sound is solid.

Hope this helps.

Some interesting points. A little off-topic, but from reading the above posts I believe many people make 3 key mistakes when buying a new driver.

1, They use range balls, which spin less anyway, only to then be disappointed with the ballooning drives

they get with their premium ball

2, They put too much faith in the loft number stamped on the bottom of the club. In many cases this can be

2 or more degrees off!

3, They find the perfect combo (see 1 and 2). and then order the same setup, only to find it performs totally

differently (for the reasons given above).

My advice would be to find a shaft and head combo that works with REAL balls and then buy that exact demo club.

I know it sounds a bit anal, but a simple club protractor, available from Golfsmith for 10 dollars, eliminates guesswork and gives you the real club head loft, regardless of what it says on the club. Just my 2 cents......

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
MP-T11 50° & 55° / MPT4 61°
Ping Sydney 33"