2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Updated advice on how to get on Bethpage Black

Middle of May, on the weekdays
Heading to Long Island for a week with some buddies in the middle of May (before Memorial day weekend I think). We're trying to get as much golf in and have picked a bunch of courses to play. That said, we definitely feel like we owe it to ourselves to get a round on Bethpage Black while we are there. We'll be playing our rounds on weekdays and have some friends that are NY State residents, but none of them golf. What are my options?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump to hopefully get more advice.

It looks like I'll try to go the phone reservation route as well just in case I luck out. Anyways, for a weekday before two weeks before Memorial day, how early should a threesome or foursome show up to get a guaranteed tee time on the black?

The night before. Around 7pm ish? Someone chime in...

Here are the instructions:

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/05/800x600px-LL-050f881b_IMG_0057.JPG

800x600px-LL-050f881b_IMG_0057.JPG

weekdays aren't much of a problem. fridays are tougher. if you want to get out at the crack of dawn to play 36, just get there by midnight to be sure. though, you'll probably be fine getting there by 3am. if you just want to get out by noon, then you can show up by 5am, or just before the clubhouse opens, and you'll be totally fine. if you're looking for 36, what i like to do is get there at 5am and just grab an afternoon time on Black (noon or whatever) and then play yellow or even red in the early morning.

[quote name='tonster' timestamp='1304634392' post='3210965']
It looks like I'll try to go the phone reservation route as well just in case I luck out.
[/quote]

As a heads up, you need to "member of the reservation system" to be able to use the phone reservation system. If I remember correctly you need to fax them your NYS license and they will add you to the system. If you need more information the number to call is 516-249-0701. If end up using the phone system you can start calling at 7:00 pm the week before (ie Friday for Friday).

This time of year it is much easier to get out during the week but it depends on how flexible you are. If you don't mind playing a slow round starting at noon show up at 5:30am. If you want to be one of the first groups out show up a few hours earlier, especially if you are a foursome.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice so far guys.

I'm hoping to get some rounds in anytime starting tomorrow afternoon through Thursday. I've seen the weather reports and packed my raingear and other waterproofs. Any insight on how bad the rain is and how bad its going to be over the next couple days?

I've played in downpours before on some of the tougher courses in Norcal, so I'm comfortable playing in the rain. I just don't know if its going to be bad to the point I should just stay off the course.

[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1305667786' post='3242311']
I made a reservation for this upcoming Sunday but my tee time isn't until 3:15 on the black course. How many holes do you think I would be able to get in before dark? Most likely will head up at the crack of dawn to (a) try to get an earlier tee time or (b) get out on the red before I play the black.

Thanks
[/quote]

sunset is at 8:08 so that gives to about 8:30 to be able to play, depending on the pace for the day you may finish but my prediction is 15 holes. Good luck have fun.

[quote name='bananapel' timestamp='1305722542' post='3243599']
15 holes in 4.5 hrs???? what is the ave round on the black course? I was looking at going out there this year but I'm not down for a 6 hr round lol
[/quote]

5 to 6 the course is hard and everyone wants to play it, it lots of people want to play from where the pros play, thus creating a very long round, still worth it if you have never done it though.

15 holes in 4.5 hrs???? what is the ave round on the black course? I was looking at going out there this year but I'm not down for a 6 hr round lol
[/quote]

You have to realize the average golfer out there is shooting 115-120 on the black....plus everyone is playing their own US Open

[quote name='ExProGoingBack' timestamp='1305729105' post='3243885']
[/quote]

You have to realize the average golfer out there is shooting 115-120 on the black....plus everyone is playing their own US Open
[/quote]

I just threw up in my mouth at the thought of 144 hacks on that course at once all shooting 110+ from the championship tees.

Surprised the average round is "only" 5.5 hours.

Hey guys, first off thanks for all the advice it really helped as we were able to get onto the Black course yesterday and today, after two days of heavy rain that shut down the courses. I'll just ramble off on my experiences as an out of stater playing the Black and hopefully it helps others as well:

-Granted this was before Memorial day weekend (and the unofficial start of summer), having three individuals (myself and two friends) registered with the reservation definitely helped us get a morning tee time reservation on both days.
-Not sure if its been mentioned here before, but drivers are not allowed at the driving range.
-Pull carts offered at the course are pretty old and honestly terrible. If you can't bring your own pull/push cart I suggest you pack light.
-I walk about 90% of my rounds back in the Bay Area on pretty grueling tracks, but the Black course (especially from the tips) is still a tough walk.
-Not sure how it is on the weekends, but I finished both my rounds (foursomes) in roughly 5hrs each. There's the occasional wait, but the fact that everyone is walking helps with the overall pace.
-Again, not sure how it is during the weekends, but not many individuals were playing the tips. That said, even the white tees (~6700yds???) appeared to be too much for many of the golfers I saw out on the course.

Some thoughts on my rounds and the course:
-My index is currently a 7 and most of the courses I play are between a 133-139 slope, with the occasional round at a course over 140. Most scoring is in the low 80s with the occasional sub 80 round. So what did I shoot? Played the tips my first round and shot a 95. Played the whites the second round and shot a 90.
-Not sure if it was because of the rain, but apparently during my rounds some locals were saying that the fairway rough may have been "US Open" tough. Never played in US Open conditions before, but being in the rough was essentially a one stroke penalty.
-Yes the course appears wide open, but the rough is something you don't want to be in.
-Greenside rough is just as long, so for the most part I played my misses on approach shots towards the bunkers.
-Some greens are difficult reads, but overall they were not overly difficult given the speeds they were playing at.
-10-14 from the tips was probably the toughest stretch of holes I have ever played.

I'll probably add to the list if anything else comes to mind.

[quote name='tonster' timestamp='1305948296' post='3251187']
Hey guys, first off thanks for all the advice it really helped as we were able to get onto the Black course yesterday and today, after two days of heavy rain that shut down the courses. I'll just ramble off on my experiences as an out of stater playing the Black and hopefully it helps others as well:

-Granted this was before Memorial day weekend (and the unofficial start of summer), having three individuals (myself and two friends) registered with the reservation definitely helped us get a morning tee time reservation on both days.
-Not sure if its been mentioned here before, but drivers are not allowed at the driving range.
-Pull carts offered at the course are pretty old and honestly terrible. If you can't bring your own pull/push cart I suggest you pack light.
-I walk about 90% of my rounds back in the Bay Area on pretty grueling tracks, but the Black course (especially from the tips) is still a tough walk.
-Not sure how it is on the weekends, but I finished both my rounds (foursomes) in roughly 5hrs each. There's the occasional wait, but the fact that everyone is walking helps with the overall pace.
-Again, not sure how it is during the weekends, but not many individuals were playing the tips. That said, even the white tees (~6700yds???) appeared to be too much for many of the golfers I saw out on the course.

Some thoughts on my rounds and the course:
-My index is currently a 7 and most of the courses I play are between a 133-139 slope, with the occasional round at a course over 140. Most scoring is in the low 80s with the occasional sub 80 round. So what did I shoot? Played the tips my first round and shot a 95. Played the whites the second round and shot a 90.
-Not sure if it was because of the rain, but apparently during my rounds some locals were saying that the fairway rough may have been "US Open" tough. Never played in US Open conditions before, but being in the rough was essentially a one stroke penalty.
-Yes the course appears wide open, but the rough is something you don't want to be in.
-Greenside rough is just as long, so for the most part I played my misses on approach shots towards the bunkers.
-Some greens are difficult reads, but overall they were not overly difficult given the speeds they were playing at.
-10-14 from the tips was probably the toughest stretch of holes I have ever played.

I'll probably add to the list if anything else comes to mind.
[/quote]

I played this morning and also will play again tomorrow morning.

I've never played in rough as thick as Bethpage Black today. Your ball just sinks down in and I had trouble just getting my ball back to the fairway on several occasions. Really makes you appreciate what the pros are able to.

I ended up shooting a 103 and wasn't too disappointed considering the rough. Don't have a handicap to put that into context as I haven't played in several years. No matter what you shoot it is just a great experience to be out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I played there was last summer.

Slept in the lot from 2-5 am and was woken up and told what the drill was. Some nice guy enlightened me as to what would happen in the morning when I pulled in at night. As a single, I got a 7:30 tee time (It was august I believe and HOT).

Hit my drive in the fairway on 1 (Thank You Lord!), shot 87 and thought I really could have broken 80 after seeing the 16 year old canadian kid, all 140 pounds of him, make 5 birdies on the front 9 (a double mixed in) and shoot 73... I hit a couple bad tee shots, and that cost me easily 8 to 10 strokes with a lost ball on 2 and I think 8? I know I hit it into a bunker on a par 5 and the lie was almost comical. In between a few tufts of fescue growing in the bunker so the ball was exposed about half of it's circumference. Could barely be TOPPED - result=8... We did get around in LESS than 5 hours, and we were waiting on a couple tees for 5 minutes or so each, no worry, nice to get a break after crossing back over the road.

I assume the Black is playing very LONG right now with the wet weather.

HOW DID THE GREENS LOOK?

JC