2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Snakes on the course

Snakes keep me out of the weeds, woods and palmettos here in FL. I'll peek but never go in.

A group I play with regularly (I was not there for this) had a rattler join them on the 7th green one day. Water moccasins are also prevalent in our area. The mother of one my daughter's friends was bitten in her garage by a moccasin three weeks ago. Thankfully, she survived it.

Love the idea of filling them full of lead, but I doubt my club would be too happy about it.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We see snakes at least once per year here in Kentucky. The course we play has lots of limestone rock and they LOVE to sun themselves on it. Not usually a big deal, but we pay attention in the brush. I have heard the rattles before while looking for a ball in the woods, and just started screaming and running. Very brave. My uncle killed a rattler 20 years ago that we measured at 64" long. Just came slithering into his backyard during a cookout. Nasty looking snake, man.

As far as the giant spiders...no thanks. I would LOSE MY MIND if I saw something like that.

Regarding the carrying of firearms on-course: I have a buddy who packs his .45 EVERYTIME we play. Now, we live in rural Kentucky, so not a lot of "gang violence" here, the biggest worry is someone jumping in front of us on the course.

Srixon Z785 
Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat 

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1305890440' post='3249093']
Obviously you aren't familiar with Detroit. Gunfire is such a normal thing, especially in city limits no one gets to concerned. And again, I'm only taking the Walther, it's not like I'm bringing out the Desert Eagle or something else I have at home.
If I would have seen that thing on a tee box, I would have fired without hesitation.
As I said before, I does startle people around you a little bit, but it's better than taking a chance of someone else getting bit. I used to try to approach people on the course to explain what was going on but they typically scurry away so now whenever I have to use a fire arm, I re holster it, back in the bag it goes, and I go back to playing.
The last time I had an incident it was at Chandler Park Golf Course. Right after making the turn there was some kind of huge looking snake trying to make it's way into a garbage can. I got in the bag, got out the finger of death, and squeezed off 6 rounds into it, problem solved. It would be nice if they eased up on the laws regarding the use of silencers. This would take away the awkwardness of the situation.
[/quote]

I cant help but to say you are perhaps the most irresponsible moron I have ever encountered, even if only an online encounter. Shooting a snake 6 times as it is making it's way into a trash can, in public, inside city limits? Are you SERIOUS? I hope you end up in prison, as you are truly a menace to society.

[quote name='jldavis73' timestamp='1305892257' post='3249122']
Regarding the carrying of firearms on-course: I have a buddy who packs his .45 EVERYTIME we play. Now, we live in rural Kentucky, so not a lot of "gang violence" here, the biggest worry is someone jumping in front of us on the course.
[/quote]

I carry mine on the course not because I'm going to a golf course and am worried about something happening, but simply because I carry it everywhere I am legally allowed to. I'm not concerned about gang violence on the course, but since I usually am coming from somewhere else, I'd rather bring the pistol in my bag with me on the course, than to leave it in my truck vehicle and risk it being stolen.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1305897887' post='3249305']
Obviously you aren't familiar with Detroit. Gunfire is such a normal thing, especially in city limits no one gets to concerned. And again, I'm only taking the Walther, it's not like I'm bringing out the Desert Eagle or something else I have at home.
If I would have seen that thing on a tee box, I would have fired without hesitation.
As I said before, I does startle people around you a little bit, but it's better than taking a chance of someone else getting bit. I used to try to approach people on the course to explain what was going on but they typically scurry away so now whenever I have to use a fire arm, I re holster it, back in the bag it goes, and I go back to playing.
The last time I had an incident it was at Chandler Park Golf Course. Right after making the turn there was some kind of huge looking snake trying to make it's way into a garbage can. I got in the bag, got out the finger of death, and squeezed off 6 rounds into it, problem solved. It would be nice if they eased up on the laws regarding the use of silencers. This would take away the awkwardness of the situation.
[/quote]

I cant help but to say you are perhaps the most irresponsible moron I have ever encountered, even if only an online encounter. Shooting a snake 6 times as it is making it's way into a trash can, in public, inside city limits? Are you SERIOUS? I hope you end up in prison, as you are truly a menace to society.
[/quote]

If he is serious, which I doubt, he is giving gun owners a bad name. I have a CHL and there is no way in hell I would discharge my firearm in this matter.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1305898076' post='3249313']
[quote name='jldavis73' timestamp='1305892257' post='3249122']
[/quote]

I carry mine on the course not because I'm going to a golf course and am worried about something happening, but simply because I carry it everywhere I am legally allowed to. I'm not concerned about gang violence on the course, but since I usually am coming from somewhere else, I'd rather bring the pistol in my bag with me on the course, than to leave it in my truck vehicle and risk it being stolen.
[/quote]

Same here.

[quote name='nando' timestamp='1305900277' post='3249414']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[size="3"]Oh no, someone sees a dangerous animal, and instead of leaving it there to hurt someone else actually decides to take the situation into his own hands. I will admit, that’s a rarity now a days, but I’m old school like that. The whole reason for having a fire arm is to protect yourself or others and a venomous snake certainly fits the bill. [/size]

[size="3"]Some of you ladies need to take it easy. I’ve been using guns for over 20 years, am fully licensed, and I can guarantee you I know exactly what I am doing. If I see a snake on a golf course that’s anything other than a Gardner snake or looks in any way to be a threat, I’m going to take care of the problem. No one, except for the snake, is going to get hurt. [/size]

If he is serious, which I doubt, he is giving gun owners a bad name. I have a CHL and there is no way in hell I would discharge my firearm in this matter.

[/quote]

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1305903141' post='3249539']
[size="3"]Oh no, someone sees a dangerous animal, and instead of leaving it there to hurt someone else actually decides to take the situation into his own hands. I will admit, that's a rarity now a days, but I'm old school like that. The whole reason for having a fire arm is to protect yourself or others and a venomous snake certainly fits the bill. [/size]

[size="3"]Some of you ladies need to take it easy. I've been using guns for over 20 years, am fully licensed, and I can guarantee you I know exactly what I am doing. If I see a snake on a golf course that's anything other than a Gardner snake or looks in any way to be a threat, I'm going to take care of the problem. No one, except for the snake, is going to get hurt. [/size]

[/quote]

If you honestly think that discharging a firearm into a trash can, or even the ground, is safe, you certainly know nothing about firearm safety, and have no business carrying a firearm. If you want to kill a snake on a golf course, fine, use a golf club. Once that round leaves the barrel, and impacts with the trash can, it's contents, or whatever may be beyond it, you have no idea where it is going. You are taking a serious gamble with the lives of others on the course.

Yes, carrying a firearm for personal protection, and for protection of others, is indeed a noble cause. But, using the firearm in the manner which you describe is not protecting anyone, and is putting everyone on the course in serious danger. I'm just glad that you are in Detroit so that I know you are not a danger to my life, and that those of us in Texas who are licensed to carry are generally more safety conscious and considerate of others. Nevermind the fact that you are supposedly licensed and discharging a firearm in city limits, out in public, when your life is not in immediate danger (or any crimes where deadly force is permissible by law are not being committed) is illegal, and would most likely result in you losing your license if (or when) you are caught doing so. You are obviously going to do what you do, and no amount of logic will change your mind (which is rather unfortunate), but I hope for you that you never injure or kill someone by being such an irresponsible person. That would be a true tragedy.

I HATE SNAKES but last summer I had to "defend" my young daughter from one at a swimming hole. Here in MA snakes are really not common sites except for the occasional grass snake. We were rapping up the day, I gave her the 10min warning and not even 30 seconds later we were standing in ankle deep water. Out of the corner of my eye I see a 4-5ft snake about as thick as a 3 of my fingers sliding right at her. Without even blinking I made the motion to step on it, well I missed it but it was enough to scare it away. She never saw it but I quickly snatched her up and brought her to my wife. She was FREAKING out because I told her 10 mins, my wife is yelling at me and I told her to calm down and I spelled S-N-A-K-E to her. Her face dropped and she took my daughter to calm her down and tell her that daddy just protected her from something that was trying to hurt her.

I remembered what it looked like a copper and golf diamond pattern, pointy head. On paper it had the looks of a Copperhead but they are not in MA. Unless it was a domestic pet that escaped is my only thoughts. We never went back to that lake.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Anything that depletes the numbers of rodents, in my opinion, should enjoy their suppers unmolested. That big black snake going into the dumpster was doing his job.

Anything chasing or leaping at me (humans included) will get a soft forging imprinted on the side of its head.

Black Widow spiders are kill on sight.

A buddy of mines little brother went to Australia (home of 'way too many things that can kill you') and was bitten by something while he slept. His leg looked more like a tree trunk and 2 years later was diagnosed with some sort of blood poisoning that has since weakened his heart.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1305905918' post='3249662']
[size="3"]Oh no, someone sees a dangerous animal, and instead of leaving it there to hurt someone else actually decides to take the situation into his own hands. I will admit, that's a rarity now a days, but I'm old school like that. The whole reason for having a fire arm is to protect yourself or others and a venomous snake certainly fits the bill. [/size]

[size="3"]Some of you ladies need to take it easy. I've been using guns for over 20 years, am fully licensed, and I can guarantee you I know exactly what I am doing. If I see a snake on a golf course that's anything other than a Gardner snake or looks in any way to be a threat, I'm going to take care of the problem. No one, except for the snake, is going to get hurt. [/size]

[/quote]

If you honestly think that discharging a firearm into a trash can, or even the ground, is safe, you certainly know nothing about firearm safety, and have no business carrying a firearm. If you want to kill a snake on a golf course, fine, use a golf club. Once that round leaves the barrel, and impacts with the trash can, it's contents, or whatever may be beyond it, you have no idea where it is going. You are taking a serious gamble with the lives of others on the course.

Yes, carrying a firearm for personal protection, and for protection of others, is indeed a noble cause. But, using the firearm in the manner which you describe is not protecting anyone, and is putting everyone on the course in serious danger. I'm just glad that you are in Detroit so that I know you are not a danger to my life, and that those of us in Texas who are licensed to carry are generally more safety conscious and considerate of others. Nevermind the fact that you are supposedly licensed and discharging a firearm in city limits, out in public, when your life is not in immediate danger (or any crimes where deadly force is permissible by law are not being committed) is illegal, and would most likely result in you losing your license if (or when) you are caught doing so. You are obviously going to do what you do, and no amount of logic will change your mind (which is rather unfortunate), but I hope for you that you never injure or kill someone by being such an irresponsible person. That would be a true tragedy.
[/quote]

If you pull a stunt like that in texas there will be consequences, i like big red have a CHL and keep my weapon in my golf bag as i am not about to leave it in the car. If someone on the course discharges a firearm once in close proximity to me i can assure you we will be talking and they most likely will be going to jail licensed or not, if six shots are fired i would consider that an immediate threat to mine and others safety and would take appropriate action. I find it hard to believe that someone with this mentality has a CHL and the truth is it seems that if you are in fact serious you are carrying a gun for all the wrong reasons, trust me no one is impressed, but unless you grow up you will end up in prison or in a body bag, 99% of the people who know me do not know i have a CHL or that i am usually armed but i bet everone you meet is informed of your CHL and problably shown your weapon at the first opportunity that puts you in the statistic along with other deranged morons that get shot with their own weapon. So please do me a favour dark one, if you come to Texas leave your guns at the house.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

Well I had no idea this would get such a reaction, but then again few people understand Detroit. I guess if I was living somewhere else where gun shots being fired constantly wasn't a normal way of life, it would make more sense.
I behooves me that some of you would see a dangerous animal, and be fine with just leaving it for someone else to discover or be attacked by. Again this just goes back to people either taking charge of a situation, or cowering away from it. I'm not the kind of guy that cowers away.
I would also ask some of you, why do you even have a gun? If you have no intention of ever using it, what's the point. I bet most of you that are carrying don't even keep it loaded and if you do, don't even keep one in the chamber. As a card carrying NRA member, I run into a lot of people who seem to think it's cool to carry guns around, but never intend on using them and that just baffles me.

Time will tell I guess. I haven't seen one since the last incident I described. If I see any others I will provide an update and if it comes down to taking action i will try to get some video on my I phone and post here. I just got a cool app I've been using at the shooting range that makes your targets look like wanted posters.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1306246919' post='3258130']
Well I had no idea this would get such a reaction, but then again few people understand Detroit. I guess if I was living somewhere else where gun shots being fired constantly wasn't a normal way of life, it would make more sense.
I behooves me that some of you would see a dangerous animal, and be fine with just leaving it for someone else to discover or be attacked by. Again this just goes back to people either taking charge of a situation, or cowering away from it. I'm not the kind of guy that cowers away.
I would also ask some of you, why do you even have a gun? If you have no intention of ever using it, what's the point. I bet most of you that are carrying don't even keep it loaded and if you do, don't even keep one in the chamber. As a card carrying NRA member, I run into a lot of people who seem to think it's cool to carry guns around, but never intend on using them and that just baffles me.

Time will tell I guess. I haven't seen one since the last incident I described. If I see any others I will provide an update and if it comes down to taking action i will try to get some video on my I phone and post here. I just got a cool app I've been using at the shooting range that makes your targets look like wanted posters.
[/quote]

I dont think it is cool to carry a gun and i hope i never have to use it. Unfortunatley i live in a world were i was forced to make the difficult desicion of carrying a weapon that could end another humans life in order to protect myself and those around me. If you buy a gun intending to use it, it makes me wonder how hard are you going to look for an excuse to take a life. There is nothing cool about owning a gun, it is like home owners insurance it is good to have if your house burns down but you hope to never need it. I hope i never have to take another persons life in self defence but if it happens i will have to live with it, but i can assure you this i am no wuss and my gun is always loaded and i know how to use it

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

Here's how the unwaranted use of a firearm goes down bad:

About a year (or two) ago, two police officers in a fairly large local city (~ 350,000 population) responding to a call from a lady in a residential section who said there was a huge snake in her yard, shot at the snake with their revovlers....yep, they killed the snake which was wound up around a hanging plant, but also one of the bullets, either ricocheted or directly, hit a woman several residences away and killed her as well.

All that could have been averted without need to 'pull a gun' for a stupid snake.

Don't know what happened to the officers, but I don't think it ended well for them as the reports I read is there is no call for them to have used 'deadly force vs. a garter snake'.

[quote name='nando' timestamp='1305900277' post='3249414']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Just curious, but freak accidents happen. If you shoot at the snake and the bullet ricochets off a rock in the ground and hits/maims your playing partner(s), will you feel that was simply acceptable collateral damage? ...or do you think their lawyers will lay waste to your bank account for irresponsible use of deadly force?

[size="3"]Some of you ladies need to take it easy. [b]I've been using guns for over 20 years, am fully licensed, and I can guarantee you I know exactly what I am doing.[/b] If I see a snake on a golf course that's anything other than a Gardner snake or looks in any way to be a threat, I'm going to take care of the problem. No one, except for the snake, is going to get hurt. [/size]

[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1305570288' post='3238567']
[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1305055029' post='3222781']
I do have a permit to carry so it's not like I am doing something illegal. I've only had to use the "finger of death," a few times on the course, always for snakes. It does seem to jar other golfers if they are close or on an adjoining hole but it's better than letting someone else get bit.
I wear all Puma clothing, like the Fowler outfits, so it's not like someone is going to think I'm a hooligan.
[/quote]

I dont know what state you are in, but be careful discharging a firearm in city limits unless your life is in immediate danger. The mere sight of a snake does not pose immediate danger to your life. If you are not in the city, and are out in a rural area, the people tend to be a bit more accepting of shooting things. I'm also licensed to carry, and ALWAYS have my pistol with me (unless I am somewhere that I am not legally allowed to have one), but I would never use it to shoot a snake on a golf course. Too many things can go wrong firing a handgun into the ground.

I did see a (roughly) 4' long rat snake on the course yesterday. It was on the back of the tee box, We eventually got it to move along back into the woods.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Do they have gun ranges in Detroit? I'd suggest going to one. Six shots? My wife could hit a snake with one shot, but she's a Texan.

You're doing us gun owners no favors by sharing your stories. Sad that you've handled guns for 20 years, but still haven't learned how to responsibly use one or even fire one.

If you want to protect folks from what was likely a harmless snake going into a trash can, reach in there and grab it by the tail, then bang its head on the ground a couple of times. Or perhaps use a golf club. It's pretty obvious you're not very skilled at using a gun.

[quote name='bulls9999' timestamp='1306249430' post='3258258']
Just curious, but freak accidents happen. If you shoot at the snake and the bullet ricochets off a rock in the ground and hits/maims your playing partner(s), will you feel that was simply acceptable collateral damage? ...or do you think their lawyers will lay waste to your bank account for irresponsible use of deadly force?

[size="3"]Some of you ladies need to take it easy. [b]I've been using guns for over 20 years, am fully licensed, and I can guarantee you I know exactly what I am doing.[/b] If I see a snake on a golf course that's anything other than a Gardner snake or looks in any way to be a threat, I'm going to take care of the problem. No one, except for the snake, is going to get hurt. [/size]

[/quote]
[/quote]

There isn't a guy in my four some who doesn't carry a gun. If anythign I would be lucky to get the first shot as 3 other guys would also be looking to take it. One of our guys worked for Detroit PD for years until they let him go over some BS because he was supposedly "to rough," with a suspect, but I suppose he has no idea when to use a firearm either. It amazes me how many people assume whenever a gun is fired bullets are flying around everywhere and never stop. I have been shooting guns for years and never had a problem. Maybe some of you should just calm down, and let the guys who know how to shoot worry about what's going to happen. You ever watch Top Shot? How many ricochets do you see happening there. You ever go to a shooting range, how many random bullets do you see flying around? Holy cow, if you are so terrified of a gun, then don't own one. The key of responsible gun ownership is respecting the gun, not being scared to death of it.

[quote]

Do they have gun ranges in Detroit? I'd suggest going to one. Six shots? My wife could hit a snake with one shot, but she's a Texan.

You're doing us gun owners no favors by sharing your stories. Sad that you've handled guns for 20 years, but still haven't learned how to responsibly use one or even fire one.

If you want to protect folks from what was likely a harmless snake going into a trash can, reach in there and grab it by the tail, then bang its head on the ground a couple of times. Or perhaps use a golf club. It's pretty obvious you're not very skilled at using a gun.
[/quote]

Of course we have ranges, I shoot there twice a week.
As far as touching a snake, that's about as gross as it gets sir, no way. And as far as using one of my clubs, that's a great way to destroy a club by banging it into the gorund.

Not to start an argument, but when you go to a shooting range, do you sign a waiver of some sort, that you could possible by injured by your own actions or those of others? Heck, I remember signing a waiver (to hold the proprietor harmless against inherent injury that could be sustained) the last time I took my son to a go-cart race track. I imagine one would be required somewhere, either in membership or part of the paperwork at the shooting range. You are acknowledgeding an inherent danger involved, and accepting responsibility for that danger.

Anyone on a golf course with you has not signed such a waiver against any harm that may be incurred by a freak accident thay may result from your 'experienced and knowledgeable' use of firearms. There is a difference. If you like to gamble, you could literally 'lose the farm' due to legal liabilities if something happened.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1306254738' post='3258512']
[quote name='bulls9999' timestamp='1306249430' post='3258258']

[/quote]
[/quote]

There isn't a guy in my four some who doesn't carry a gun. If anythign I would be lucky to get the first shot as 3 other guys would also be looking to take it. One of our guys worked for Detroit PD for years until they let him go over some BS because he was supposedly "to rough," with a suspect, but I suppose he has no idea when to use a firearm either. It amazes me how many people assume whenever a gun is fired bullets are flying around everywhere and never stop. I have been shooting guns for years and never had a problem. Maybe some of you should just calm down, and let the guys who know how to shoot worry about what's going to happen. You ever watch Top Shot? How many ricochets do you see happening there. You ever go to a shooting range, how many random bullets do you see flying around? Holy cow, if you are so terrified of a gun, then don't own one. The key of responsible gun ownership is respecting the gun, not being scared to death of it.
[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9

[/quote]

Every firearm I own, and those I carry on a daily basis, are fully loaded, one in the chamber. My rifles, shotgun, and the only handgun I own that has a manual safety, all have the safety engaged. My other handguns do not have manual safeties, but they are indeed carried with full magazine and a chambered round.

Choosing not to shoot a snake that is making its way into a trash can is in no way cowering from a situation. It is called using common sense and practicing safe firearm handling. You may think you know what you are doing, but I assure you, you do not. Ricochets are uncommon at firing ranges because they are designed as firing ranges with backstops that are purpose built to stop a moving round, or deflect it into a safe direction (indoor ranges have ramped backstops, with recessed collection areas). You firing a round into a trash can is a bit different. If you cannot see and understand that, there is truly no hope for you.

Carrying a firearm for personal protection is not cool, it is prudent. I carry mine everywhere I go, and I hope that the only time it ever comes out of it's holster is at the shooting range, or at night when I am disrobing before bed (yes, it is on my hip from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed, even when I am sitting in my recliner). I sincerely have no desire to take another life, but I am prepared to do so in the unfortunate event that I am forced to make that decision.

I've seen Top Shot (if that show is where you are claiming to get your knowledge or safe firearm handling and shooting, please, sell your guns). Do you think that show is filmed on a golf course? Is that show filmed in a location where there is anyone else within reach? Do you not think they shoot in an isolated valley for a reason? If you are seriously going to compare that show to shooting at a snake in a trash can, you sir, are a danger to society so long as you are armed. It is unfortunate, and quite frankly sad, that you cannot see the truth of the situation, and simply admit fault and acknowledge there are better ways that do not endanger others.

Chew on these for a minute, and let me know if you still think rounds do not rocochet.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_F_EsWk_s"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7u_F_EsWk_s[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cqAffzjUrU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPZyBLv0ijc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1306254978' post='3258524']
[quote]

[/quote]

Of course we have ranges, I shoot there twice a week.
As far as touching a snake, that's about as gross as it gets sir, no way. And as far as using one of my clubs, that's a great way to destroy a club by banging it into the gorund.
[/quote]

Sounds like twice a week isn't enough. Six shots to kill a snake? Good thing you're in Detroit because with your level of marksmanship you'd never pass for a CHL in Texas. Even if you did, your attitude would have you in jail pretty quickly.

I know you're playing the tough guy act here, but it's very tired. I went to an inner-city highschool with kids who lived in what (at the time) was considered one of the 10 worst neighborhoods in the country. I've been car-jacked, I've been shot at (weren't shooting at me specifically, wrong place/wrong time), and I've experienced other violent acts. I carry a gun when I'm going somewhere I think I might feel unsafe. I don't have a CHL on the advice of attornies (higher level of scrutiny if something ever happened and Texas case law gives you a better defense in the case something did actually happen if you don't have a CHL), but I've slept with a gun in my room since I was probably 8 years old. Other than one or two mistakes when I was a child, I never behaved with a weapon in the manner you've described here.

All of that said, I've never seen someone admit to such improper use of a weapon. You don't think ricochets happen? I truly question whether you're just completely full of BS. Just last month here in Texas, a four year old girl was killed by her father when a bullit ricocheted over 150 yards. This was at a private gun range, simlar to what you see on Top Shot (since you referenced the show).

Do the people around you a favor and go get some education. You are walking proof that experience does not equal competence. In my opinion, you've been very fortunate to not have hurt yourself or someone else if you've been behaving this way for 20 years.

For the sake of your neighbors and your loved ones, please go get yourself edjucated on firearm safety. It's very obvious you have little knowledge whatsoever and it's people like you that give the anti-gun folks ammunition.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1306258285' post='3258654']

[/quote]

Every firearm I own, and those I carry on a daily basis, are fully loaded, one in the chamber. My rifles, shotgun, and the only handgun I own that has a manual safety, all have the safety engaged. My other handguns do not have manual safeties, but they are indeed carried with full magazine and a chambered round.

Choosing not to shoot a snake that is making its way into a trash can is in no way cowering from a situation. It is called using common sense and practicing safe firearm handling. You may think you know what you are doing, but I assure you, you do not. Ricochets are uncommon at firing ranges because they are designed as firing ranges with backstops that are purpose built to stop a moving round, or deflect it into a safe direction (indoor ranges have ramped backstops, with recessed collection areas). You firing a round into a trash can is a bit different. If you cannot see and understand that, there is truly no hope for you.

Carrying a firearm for personal protection is not cool, it is prudent. I carry mine everywhere I go, and I hope that the only time it ever comes out of it's holster is at the shooting range, or at night when I am disrobing before bed (yes, it is on my hip from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed, even when I am sitting in my recliner). I sincerely have no desire to take another life, but I am prepared to do so in the unfortunate event that I am forced to make that decision.

I've seen Top Shot (if that show is where you are claiming to get your knowledge or safe firearm handling and shooting, please, sell your guns). Do you think that show is filmed on a golf course? Is that show filmed in a location where there is anyone else within reach? Do you not think they shoot in an isolated valley for a reason? If you are seriously going to compare that show to shooting at a snake in a trash can, you sir, are a danger to society so long as you are armed. It is unfortunate, and quite frankly sad, that you cannot see the truth of the situation, and simply admit fault and acknowledge there are better ways that do not endanger others.

Chew on these for a minute, and let me know if you still think rounds do not rocochet.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_F_EsWk_s"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7u_F_EsWk_s[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cqAffzjUrU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPZyBLv0ijc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url]
[/quote]

Wow, I truly cannot wait for his response to this one

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

Look, and this is my last post on the subject as this thread is derailing into an issue of the right to have a gun versus snakes on the course.
I posted my thoughts on how I handle these situations on a golf course, if people disagree that's perfectly fine. That's the great thing about America, we can all have an opinion, and we all have the right to have guns. I wonder what the founding fathers would think about people trying to tell others they can't use a gun if they feel threatened by a snake?
In regards to these phantom bullets that can fly around killing everyone within 150 yards, I've never seen it. I've been shooting since I was kid and as of yet haven't had a problem. Are there freak one in a billion accidents? Of course, they happen with guns, when people are driving, you name it. Just because people get in car wrecks doesn't mean we don't drive cars. People also get hit by golf balls and die, should we all were helmets when playing, I mean there is a risk!
When I see a potentially dangerous animal on a golf course, I take care of the situation, and that's not gonna change. If I get hauled off to court someday to justify gun use, that's fine. I will win.
There's risk in everything in life my friends, that however isn't an excuse for not living. And when it comes down to a situation where it's either gonna be me or a snake, well you can guess how that's gonna end.

For the record I'm a great shot. But when it comes to snakes I don't quit firing until I'm sure it's been extinguished, hence the 6 rounds in the previous example. I got it on the second, but the others were to make sure.

I've seen a few snakes on the course. Usually I see a lot of gopher snakes. I've only had one run-in with a Western Rattlesnake and it was, by far, the most frightening snake experience I've ever had.

I hit what looked like a great drive until the ball rolled off the fairway down into the thick rough on the left side of the course. It looked like my ball rolled into a small thicket of trees and knee high native grasses (this is in the California hills). I went searching for my ball with my sand wedge and was having no luck. I walked a little ways into the grass and looked directly down between my feet and saw a thick coil of rope. I remember thinking in my head, "That's a weird place to put a thick piece of rope!" After a second of standing there, I realized that the rope that was LITERALLY between my feet was a LARGE rattler. It was probably only 3 or 4 feet long but it was THICK. I just remember jumping backward and not being able to describe why I was acting a fool to the older guy I was partnered up with. He asked me what was wrong and all I could say were adjectives about rattlesnakes (my mind went completely blank as to what to call them!). I remember stuttering something like, "SNAKE...BIG...uhhh...VENOMOUS! You know?! The venomous ones!" Hahaha. The older guy's eyes got big and asked where it was. I told him not to worry (I'm not going to have someone kill a snake or any animal just because it's nearby... it's their territory, too.) about it and after a minute, went and took a picture of it. [attachment=790999:IMG00041.jpg] It's a crappy photo from my cell phone but trust me, it didn't rattle and it never moved. Frightening.

On a cuter side note, here's a photo of a squirrel that jumped on my clicgear and dove into the open pocket of my bag and stole my ClifBar. Jerk. He was cute until he did that.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1306266442' post='3259068']
Look, and this is my last post on the subject as this thread is derailing into an issue of the right to have a gun versus snakes on the course.
I posted my thoughts on how I handle these situations on a golf course, if people disagree that's perfectly fine. That's the great thing about America, we can all have an opinion, and we all have the right to have guns. I wonder what the founding fathers would think about people trying to tell others they can't use a gun if they feel threatened by a snake?
In regards to these phantom bullets that can fly around killing everyone within 150 yards, I've never seen it. I've been shooting since I was kid and as of yet haven't had a problem. Are there freak one in a billion accidents? Of course, they happen with guns, when people are driving, you name it. Just because people get in car wrecks doesn't mean we don't drive cars. People also get hit by golf balls and die, should we all were helmets when playing, I mean there is a risk!
When I see a potentially dangerous animal on a golf course, I take care of the situation, and that's not gonna change. If I get hauled off to court someday to justify gun use, that's fine. I will win.
There's risk in everything in life my friends, that however isn't an excuse for not living. And when it comes down to a situation where it's either gonna be me or a snake, well you can guess how that's gonna end.

For the record I'm a great shot. But when it comes to snakes I don't quit firing until I'm sure it's been extinguished, hence the 6 rounds in the previous example. I got it on the second, but the others were to make sure.
[/quote]

I don't know about Michigan courts, but you'd be in trouble in Texas.

Anyway, since you successfully protected the city of Detroit from this "dangerous animal", I thought I'd take a look at the poisoness snakes in Michigan. Turns out, there is only one, and it doesn't live in Detroit.

Educate yourself a bit before you pull out ole Sam Colt, okay pards? That snake you killed was likely looking for a rat or other rodent that is far more harmful to humans.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_12201-32995--,00.html