2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Snakes on the course

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1396742626' post='9028557']
To T the B. Fall might be the best time for ending your hunt with edible meat. Hogs will go through a corn field or maize field like Patton through France. To your Tree hugger gf, explain that these are more than a pest. They are dangerous in some situations, people hit them with cars frequently, and are insanely destructive. You would be doing a farmer or rancher a favor to kill some.
[/quote]

Thanks farmer. My GF, being a tree hugger, knows all about ferals hogs and she has given me full license to go and bring back some pork. She has even given me thumbs up to bag some deer because she is very against the big meat industry.

• 2 years later...

Well, it finally happened. I stepped off the 12th tee on a course in Florida and nearly stepped on a pigmy rattlesnake. It was about a foot away from me; he then slid the last few yards to the golf cart and lay menacingly close to the driver's side. I went around to the other side and pressed the gas pedal with my 3-wood to get the cart away from him, then hopped in on the run and drove off.

Maybe it's time to buy a pair of snake-proof golf boots.

I've seen a few rattlesnakes and don't mind most of the other ones. I won't mess with them on the course but if I see them around the house they will die.They're also quite delicious.

Indeed they are!... :nyam:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

I've seen a few rattlesnakes and don't mind most of the other ones. I won't mess with them on the course but if I see them around the house they will die.They're also quite delicious.

Indeed they are!... :nyam:

Im trying to decide if your username and the pic are coincidence or how you type with claws....

I've two too close encounters with snakes while golfing. Honestly, if I can see or hear the snake (or if I irrationally think one is nearby) it's too close.

1 when I was a kid playing in Connecticut, I hit a ball into the woods (I still that a lot) and found it next to a Copperhead. For all I know that ball might still be there. Along with my soiled shorts.

2 I was playing Pelican Hill a few years ago. They have a few signs throughout the course warning is Rattlers in the area. One the 2nd hole I pushed a drive right into some scrub brush. I very hesitantly went to look for it leading the search with a 3 iron. When I was about a foot off the fairway, I heard a distinct rattle from my right (between the tee and me). Don't think I've ever run so fast. I also don't think I've ever hit so many provisionals in a round. Anything not in the middle of the fairway got a second swing.

I have an irrational, debilitating fear of snakes.

Not sure why anyone would kill a snake on the course. I enjoy seeing them. Here's a nice rattler on our 8th green a few weeks back. Olson12 (the guy in the picture) got close enough to see it actually rattle. :)

You are at least 500 yards too close. And have an amazingly steady hand given the circumstances.

Your friend should be committed

I don't see them that often on the course, but they are definitely out there. I had a snake ruin what would have been the lowest scoring round of my life several years ago.

I was playing at a pretty easy muni-course here in town with a couple of highschool buddies that I hadn't seen in a while. At the time, I was about a 10 at my home course and announced myself as a 10 on the first tee. I had only played that course once before, but it was extremely short and doesn't have much trouble. I shot 2 under on the front and was getting some glares. I kept up the good play on the back and by the time I got to the 17th hole, I was 1-under with two to go. With 18 being a very short par 5 (this course was incredibly short, probably not much over 5,000 yards) I felt pretty good about my chances of breaking par for the first time in my life.

There was a pond short and right of the greeen on the short 17th hole. I hit and shoved my drive right at it. When I got up near the pond, I saw my ball in some high grass next to the water, in the hazzard, but dry. I grabbed a wedge and walked to the ball trying to determine my shot. Just as I was about to address the ball, one of my playing partners yelled out "SNAKE!!!". I jumped almost out of my shoes as I saw the large cottonmouth just about a foot away.

I hate snakes. No, I mean I REALLY HATE SNAKES!. I didn't know what in the world to do. The snake coiled, maybe a foot from my ball. I don't know how big he was, but he looked like a 50 foot anaconda to me at that moment. I threw a couple of rocks at him, but it didn't do a bit of good. Then I threw a stick and he struck at it. Needless to say, that didn't help my nerves.

The problem was, I needed to finish this hole. I finally decided my plan. I grabbed the longest club in my bag, my driver, and ran by the snake, hitting the ball polo-style as I ran by. Now, I'll admit I was probably more likely to miss the ball then to hit it, but hit it I did... dead square, with lots of power.

The ball sailed and sailed and sailed. By the time it stopped rolling, I was a good 175 yards over the green on another hole. My nerves shot, I got to the ball and made an 8 on the hole before I was done. I followed that with a 9 on 18 and limped in with a smooth 80.

15 or so year later, that was still the closest I've come to breaking par. I still hate snakes.

Why didn't you take free relief from a dangerous animal?

Well......it all started when that official refused to allow Bubba relief from a dangerous burrowing animal?

I don't see them that often on the course, but they are definitely out there. I had a snake ruin what would have been the lowest scoring round of my life several years ago.

I was playing at a pretty easy muni-course here in town with a couple of highschool buddies that I hadn't seen in a while. At the time, I was about a 10 at my home course and announced myself as a 10 on the first tee. I had only played that course once before, but it was extremely short and doesn't have much trouble. I shot 2 under on the front and was getting some glares. I kept up the good play on the back and by the time I got to the 17th hole, I was 1-under with two to go. With 18 being a very short par 5 (this course was incredibly short, probably not much over 5,000 yards) I felt pretty good about my chances of breaking par for the first time in my life.

There was a pond short and right of the greeen on the short 17th hole. I hit and shoved my drive right at it. When I got up near the pond, I saw my ball in some high grass next to the water, in the hazzard, but dry. I grabbed a wedge and walked to the ball trying to determine my shot. Just as I was about to address the ball, one of my playing partners yelled out "SNAKE!!!". I jumped almost out of my shoes as I saw the large cottonmouth just about a foot away.

I hate snakes. No, I mean I REALLY HATE SNAKES!. I didn't know what in the world to do. The snake coiled, maybe a foot from my ball. I don't know how big he was, but he looked like a 50 foot anaconda to me at that moment. I threw a couple of rocks at him, but it didn't do a bit of good. Then I threw a stick and he struck at it. Needless to say, that didn't help my nerves.

The problem was, I needed to finish this hole. I finally decided my plan. I grabbed the longest club in my bag, my driver, and ran by the snake, hitting the ball polo-style as I ran by. Now, I'll admit I was probably more likely to miss the ball then to hit it, but hit it I did... dead square, with lots of power.

The ball sailed and sailed and sailed. By the time it stopped rolling, I was a good 175 yards over the green on another hole. My nerves shot, I got to the ball and made an 8 on the hole before I was done. I followed that with a 9 on 18 and limped in with a smooth 80.

15 or so year later, that was still the closest I've come to breaking par. I still hate snakes.

Dude! Take a drop!

There's nothing quite as invigorating as walking past a stick that suddenly moves. The first time that happened to me, I made a sound that was like a combination of someone throwing up and a five year old girl screaming her head off. I also must have accelerated really fast as, for about twenty yards, my lower body was a good foot and half in front of my upper body.

In Australia we have some bad snakes. I've come across a fair few Brown Snakes coiled up in the scrub while looking for my ball. They usually blend in perfectly with the scrub so you have to careful. They are actually the most venomous snake in the world, but not considered the most deadly as they are quite shy and general avoid people. I used to get them in my back yard in Summer and they are scary! My cat killed a few and actually got bitten once, disappeared for two weeks then came back once he had recovered.