2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Hawaii GolfWRX'ers where did you play?

pitbull808

Well all I can say is "what a beautiful day to be playing golf in Hawaii". That's about it because golf is the farthest thing I did at Navy Marine today. :) It was a mini outing with me, Tony, Russ and Sean/808golfer. It started off like it was going to be a great day. Tony and I found the fairway on the first hole. Needless to say, I hunted for it on later holes till I got used to the driver set up. Tony on the other hand is selling himself short....he was a fairway finder with his D2. Maybe just not as long as he wanted but it definitely was straight. My ON OFF took a few holes to get used to. I kept hearing Carls voice in my head, "Use your legs and SWING IT". Dr Carl had diagnosed me the night before when he was fitting me as swinging too much with my arms and also told me that with the Roddio set up in the ON OFF, I shouldn't have to worry about it being too flexy and that I should just swing it. After hitting a rather long drive..in another fairway ;) after that I managed to get the feel of it and it was pretty consistent there after.

Tony hit some marvelous shots from the bunkers. It was a definite TBC wedge day since all of us had Carls handiwork in our bag. I hit a couple okay shots with mine but on one par 5 I managed to take 3 shots inside of 80 yards to get on the green. I think Tony said it best after my display, "Keep that up and Carl's going to revoke your license to carry!" :censored2:

Anyways...we all may not have played to the greatest or even to our mediocre abilities..but it was a VERY fun outing. Maybe if we weren't laughing so much we would have concentrated a bit more. BUT then again, I'd take a fun day out on the golf course no matter what the score!

Mahalo's guys for a great day! :D

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i ran away to play some golf yesterday. and like a true hacker i shoot my normal 87 at HCC.

lost some $$$$.. like a fool i played with the tour only on/off irons without adjusting the lies. we are talking hooks without even trying. :friends: oh well, i think i should practice more and less club repairs........... then maybe i can at least keep up with you guys..

well i ran away to play some golf yesterday. and like a true hacker i shoot my normal 87 at HCC.

lost some $$$$.. like a fool i played with the tour only on/off irons without adjusting the lies. we are talking hooks without even trying. :friends: oh well, i think i should practice more and less club repairs........... then maybe i can at least keep up with you guys..

Well...looks like you got them dialed in buddy because that impact spot on the 7 iron was pretty miniscule! :tongue:

Well, another round and another chance to break 80 waived bye-bye thanks to large numbers. Played at Mililani today and shot an 81. Played the back 9 first and finished the 17th with a double, and the 18th with a triple, helping me shoot 7 over for the nine. Thank got the front 9 is easier, I managed 3 bogies and a birdie on the 9th where I actually one hopped and hit the pin. It's classic "golf", I'm frustrated and then finish with a perfect shot. I just couldn't putt today and was frustrated with iron play too, but if it wasn't for my short game (chipped in twice) I guess it could've been worse.

But I should've broken 80 easy, because the tees were all up, it was even close from the white tees. Oh well, maybe next time.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

Carl, who cares what you shot? Those irons are sick! :bad:

Rick, sounds like a good round even though you didn't break 80! :tongue: I would have taken an 81 today.

Played Turtle Bay in the wind and it was a mixed bag. I played really well on the first 9, and drove the ball real well too. Unlike my last round, I actually played well on the par 3's. Unfortunately, I kept burning the edge and couldn't get a putt to drop. Still, I made the turn in good shape. The back nine started out by biting me in the butt with a few unlucky bounces. By the time I reached 12, I was almost as many over par as I was for the first 9! :russian_roulette: Let's just say that my tee shot on 12 was titanic! ;) There was more than a little bit of rage in that golf swing. After that the wheels started to come off, as I realized a flaw in my swing and tried to make an adjustment. Big mistake. Good learning experience, but that's about it. The good news was that I only lost $20! :friends:

I know you guys have played on all the courses on Oahu so maybe you can suggest any course on the island with a decent practice area. Some place with a decent bunker and a green or greens where you can practice the short game. Finding a grass driving range is a challenge but a short game practice area is beyond challenging. I haven't played all the new courses - new to me is anything built after 1988 during my 17 years away from the game.

I see that driving range out by number 1 at the Palmer course at Turtle Bay. I assume that's the one they use for the pro tournaments. I don't know if they'll let just anyone over there. I spend a lot of time at the Hawaii Kai driving range, but that bunker is like concrete unless you scrape every little bit of sand in the bunker into one pile. The green over by number 1 tee is ok for putting and chipping, but too 'tight' for anything over 4 or 5 yards.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I know you guys have played on all the courses on Oahu so maybe you can suggest any course on the island with a decent practice area. Some place with a decent bunker and a green or greens where you can practice the short game. Finding a grass driving range is a challenge but a short game practice area is beyond challenging. I haven't played all the new courses - new to me is anything built after 1988 during my 17 years away from the game.

I see that driving range out by number 1 at the Palmer course at Turtle Bay. I assume that's the one they use for the pro tournaments. I don't know if they'll let just anyone over there. I spend a lot of time at the Hawaii Kai driving range, but that bunker is like concrete unless you scrape every little bit of sand in the bunker into one pile. The green over by number 1 tee is ok for putting and chipping, but too 'tight' for anything over 4 or 5 yards.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ko'Olina has a very nice short game area, plus the putting green is large and well manicured. The range is grass too. Michelle Wie is out there all the time, although lately, that may not be the best endorsement.

Well, another round and another chance to break 80 waived bye-bye thanks to large numbers. Played at Mililani today and shot an 81. Played the back 9 first and finished the 17th with a double, and the 18th with a triple, helping me shoot 7 over for the nine. Thank got the front 9 is easier, I managed 3 bogies and a birdie on the 9th where I actually one hopped and hit the pin. It's classic "golf", I'm frustrated and then finish with a perfect shot. I just couldn't putt today and was frustrated with iron play too, but if it wasn't for my short game (chipped in twice) I guess it could've been worse.

But I should've broken 80 easy, because the tees were all up, it was even close from the white tees. Oh well, maybe next time.

Hey Rick,

I hope the course was in acceptable shape. I think it actually plays harder from the front because you can run out of fairway on some holes. The white tees are forward on the weekends to encourage faster play, but feel free to go to the "tips" next time.

Hey Rick,

I hope the course was in acceptable shape. I think it actually plays harder from the front because you can run out of fairway on some holes. The white tees are forward on the weekends to encourage faster play, but feel free to go to the "tips" next time.

Ah, it was fine Joey, the greens came along very nicely. I was a little worried about the sand on the practice greens, but on the course they were great. If anything, too accepting of shots because I thought I'd get a big bounce on some irons shots on holes that were downwind and it just stuck where it landed.

I'll take that into mind for the tips, I figured you wanted the tees up to encourage faster play, it was busy. My only complaint is that I hate #3 and #14 because those holes do not fit my eye at all :friends:.

But it was fun, you guys did a good job so far.

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ko'Olina has a very nice short game area, plus the putting green is large and well manicured. The range is grass too. Michelle Wie is out there all the time, although lately, that may not be the best endorsement.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd forgotten about that. I played there about a year ago and I do remember that area across the road or sidewalk?

hey dosent coral creek have a pretty nice practice area too?!?! i remember it being nice there, i shoulda checked, i was just there on saturday...

They have a green but the sand in the bunker is not sand, it's gravel. I put several very nice scratches in the face of my wedge hitting a ball out of there. Plus as I remember there are signs that say no chipping from more than 15 feet or words to that effect. Bummer. Thanks for the thought.

hey dosent coral creek have a pretty nice practice area too?!?! i remember it being nice there, i shoulda checked, i was just there on saturday...

They have a green but the sand in the bunker is not sand, it's gravel. I put several very nice scratches in the face of my wedge hitting a ball out of there. Plus as I remember there are signs that say no chipping from more than 15 feet or words to that effect. Bummer. Thanks for the thought.

hehe, well at least it looked nice from the starter area. i would have thought that they would use the same fluffy sand as on the course at least. fluffy sand bunkers are always fun, and sometimes an adventure for me. :shok:

awhile back me and my friend were practicing chipping there from well over 15 feet, just got to go to the lower level practice greens by the bunker, and if you get caught just say "was there a sign?". :cheesy:

• 2 weeks later...

went out to play Ko'olau today for the first time since i started playing. when i went there the first time i had been playing golf for 3 months, shot a 116. this time, about a year and 6 months later, went there and shot a 83. could have been better as i took a double on the 18th to end. also my new TS 3 wood was used more than my driver. i thought my r7 tp was good, this thing paired with the axiv is flat out amazing.

i had a much more enjoyable day today than yesterday when our club went out to olomana. olomana was so dry there was no water in the rivers going up and down the 7th and 9th holes. also the fairways were dry and cracking. i have never seen it like that there before. needless to say i had my fair share of skulled shots on that concrete. that was a round to forget, but i did win my match i had. but that was the only good thing about the day. he did kinda give it to me by shooting a 101 too! :bad:

• 1 month later...

Was on Vacation in Oahu and played Olomana on Monday(30th). The rivers were still dry and the fairways were cracked in a few places. Wish I had read the card more carefully and noticed I could get a free drop from the cracks. The rental R7s were nice but had to adjust to the draw tendency in the driver a bit. Almost drove the green on the 280 par 4. Never added up the total, but only got a few pars.

Was a twosome following a group of 6 firefighters and we rarely waited. Those guys play fast.

• 4 weeks later...

I got back from playing Koolau today, only the second time I've ever played there. Shot a nice little 94 from the Championship tees. But not because of poor driving (which is usually my weakness), rather poor irons and shortgame. I hit a career high (well felt like career high) 8/14 fairways and only 2 GIR. I need to work on my approach shots.

I'm trying to convert to Stan Utley's short game techniques and this was my first round trying it, wasn't that bad chipping, but couldn't make a putt. Pitching was poor and bunker shots were horrible because I couldn't figure out distance control with the new method.

But overall, it was fun, just really humid and muggy without much wind. Wait I mean, it was blowing really hard that's why I shot a 94...yeah, that's the ticket.

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

I got back from playing Koolau today, only the second time I've ever played there. Shot a nice little 94 from the Championship tees. But not because of poor driving (which is usually my weakness), rather poor irons and shortgame. I hit a career high (well felt like career high) 8/14 fairways and only 2 GIR. I need to work on my approach shots.

I'm trying to convert to Stan Utley's short game techniques and this was my first round trying it, wasn't that bad chipping, but couldn't make a putt. Pitching was poor and bunker shots were horrible because I couldn't figure out distance control with the new method.

But overall, it was fun, just really humid and muggy without much wind. Wait I mean, it was blowing really hard that's why I shot a 94...yeah, that's the ticket.

Championship tees, very brave of you.

Stick with Utley, I like his methods. Well, except for his bunker technique which is very strange indeed. Putting and pitching is good info IMHO.

BTW, I felt the wind today. It was howling. Damn near took the house down it was blowing so hard........

I'm trying to convert to Stan Utley's short game techniques and this was my first round trying it, wasn't that bad chipping, but couldn't make a putt.

I'm going to start calling you the king of self help! :)

:cheesy: WOW Joey...;)

Come on Rick...you've got Chikara's! In the words of Xsfspeed, "you keep chipping that way and we'll have to revoke your license to carry!" :(

Anyways...Koolau...since Russ and I used to play there quite often back when we payed for the cheap membership, the greens take a few rounds to get used to. You have to know which one's you can go at and which one's you're much better off just playing for the middle. Many times it seems where a better shot would be to run it up but then you'd have to figure our if the fronts were soggy. Don't feel bad though, there's a reason it was one of the toughest courses in the Nation. I've seen a tourist who played with us loose six balls by the eight hole. Luckily Russ had a shag bag with him because the guy was borrowing balls to finish up the back side without a visit to the pro shop! :D

I'm trying to convert to Stan Utley's short game techniques and this was my first round trying it, wasn't that bad chipping, but couldn't make a putt.

Come on Rick...you've got Chikara's! In the words of Xsfspeed, "you keep chipping that way and we'll have to revoke your license to carry!" :(

Anyways...Koolau...since Russ and I used to play there quite often back when we payed for the cheap membership, the greens take a few rounds to get used to. You have to know which one's you can go at and which one's you're much better off just playing for the middle. Many times it seems where a better shot would be to run it up but then you'd have to figure our if the fronts were soggy. Don't feel bad though, there's a reason it was one of the toughest courses in the Nation. I've seen a tourist who played with us loose six balls by the eight hole. Luckily Russ had a shag bag with him because the guy was borrowing balls to finish up the back side without a visit to the pro shop! :D

Well, if I don't help myself who will? This help yourself mentality also works great at buffets ;).

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

Championship tees, very brave of you.

Stick with Utley, I like his methods. Well, except for his bunker technique which is very strange indeed. Putting and pitching is good info IMHO.

BTW, I felt the wind today. It was howling. Damn near took the house down it was blowing so hard........

Actually, I found that using Utley's technique out of the sand actually works quite well. The problem is you have to trust that it works first. The first couple of tries, I quit on the way down and chickened out, mishitting the ball badly. Then I commited to the method and the ball came out soft and high. You need to buy into the theory of stopping the ball with trajectory rather than spin. It has worked for me so far.

Utley's putting book has me putting better than ever.

soooo, is there anywhere down here with any of those books or videos. my game is going to hell and I dont know what to do. my putting is so bad that I went to roots today to see if the had any good belly putters! I guess watching all these guys switching over to a belly is making want to try one! :)

It seems like Im that guy in that tiger woods commercial not too long ago with the wobbly legs!! Im not to confident in 3-5 footers as much as I used to be. Its pretty sad actually. ;)

No kidding, that guy used up all 20+ balls in the shag bag. On a side note.....I still hate that course, but was starting to like it when I was a range rat many moons ago.

soooo, is there anywhere down here with any of those books or videos. my game is going to hell and I dont know what to do. my putting is so bad that I went to roots today to see if the had any good belly putters! I guess watching all these guys switching over to a belly is making want to try one! :)

It seems like Im that guy in that tiger woods commercial not too long ago with the wobbly legs!! Im not to confident in 3-5 footers as much as I used to be. Its pretty sad actually. ;)

I forgot to mention...although I'm putting better, I actually changed my grip for the first time since I started golf. I used to do a two finger reverse but went to one finger down and my hands spaced farther apart and two thumbs down the middle of the shaft. I'm really amazed how much it's helped me get my wrist out of the stroke and really into a pendulum. As I was putting at the shop the other day, I told Carl.."Funny, when you're stroking well, every darn putter feels good and you make them all!" Maybe you just need to do a little change with your grip Dwight.

soooo, is there anywhere down here with any of those books or videos. my game is going to hell and I dont know what to do. my putting is so bad that I went to roots today to see if the had any good belly putters! I guess watching all these guys switching over to a belly is making want to try one! :drinks:

It seems like Im that guy in that tiger woods commercial not too long ago with the wobbly legs!! Im not to confident in 3-5 footers as much as I used to be. Its pretty sad actually. :cheesy:

I forgot to mention...although I'm putting better, I actually changed my grip for the first time since I started golf. I used to do a two finger reverse but went to one finger down and my hands spaced farther apart and two thumbs down the middle of the shaft. I'm really amazed how much it's helped me get my wrist out of the stroke and really into a pendulum. As I was putting at the shop the other day, I told Carl.."Funny, when you're stroking well, every darn putter feels good and you make them all!" Maybe you just need to do a little change with your grip Dwight.

hmmm. I just went back to the one finger down and thumbs down the middle! I used to use a interlocking grip with one finger down, just so that I dont grip it as hard. Oh well I still have to see what works!!

Last week I went for a quick morning round at Ted Makalena GC since I haven't been there in over five years. I shot six over on the front and two over on the back for my first ever sub-80 round. No birdies, but the short game came through.

Played Waikele this morning before work, and despite a mud-filled day, I managed an 86. Short game went to hell. I knew this was coming too, as golf has a tendency to bring you back down to earth. Driving and iron play was much better than my Makalena outing, as I made a slight adjustment with regards to ball position and iron placement.

Got two more rounds coming up this week (Waikele again on Thurs. and Barber's Point on Friday).

Damn, this is a great game to love and hate...

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Well today Russ, Tony, Myself, and Tony's friend Jeff played at Kaneohe Klipper. Tony, I hope that you didn't mind Russ and I inducting you into a day in the life of how we golf and EAT!!! Ha ha ha You know since Russ is leaving us for a new life in AZ. I will be looking for a new partner in crime! ha ha ha I know we didn't play to well, but I look at it as spending time with a good friend who is leaving in a month. Boy, am I going to be saving a lot of $$$ when Russ departs! ha ha ha Just kidding!

So, Tony.....want the job???? ha ha ha :shout:

P.S. there are many more places to take you eating! lol