2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Hawaii GolfWRX'ers where did you play?

pitbull808

Rick...maybe there's something in the air. I know "someone" had a beautiful hosel rocket today after a really super drive! ;)

Hosel Rocket is way too nice of a term ;) It was a terrible SHANK!! :crazy: That was an awful hole besides the shaka drive. Took me 3 shots from 60 yards to reach the green...downright bloody awful :drinks:

Brother.....I tried to protect your with the "someone". :) Anyways..you and Sean were putting on a helluva chipping display on some of the holes today. I think it would be better though if you guys skipped the display and just hit it once to get on the green. :D

Since we don't often go to the practice range, I'd prefer to call our rounds...practice rounds :)

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick...maybe there's something in the air. I know "someone" had a beautiful hosel rocket today after a really super drive! ;)

Hosel Rocket is way too nice of a term :D It was a terrible SHANK!! :crazy: That was an awful hole besides the shaka drive. Took me 3 shots from 60 yards to reach the green...downright bloody awful :drinks:

Brother.....I tried to protect your with the "someone". :) Anyways..you and Sean were putting on a helluva chipping display on some of the holes today. I think it would be better though if you guys skipped the display and just hit it once to get on the green. :D

Since we don't often go to the practice range, I'd prefer to call our rounds...practice rounds :)

;) That's true!

Hosel Rocket is way too nice of a term :D It was a terrible SHANK!! :crazy: That was an awful hole besides the shaka drive. Took me 3 shots from 60 yards to reach the green...downright bloody awful :drinks:

;) That's true!

Hmmmm...then don't ever ever ask me to play a "regular" round of golf!!!! LOL :D

Waikele was awesome right when it reopened. The greens were rolling very true, although they were lightning fast. Now they've gotten pretty beat up again. They were the first course in Hawaii to try the new Tiff Eagle grass and they had some problems with Paspallum (sp?) invading the greens. I also heard from one of the course employees that they haven't been verti-cutting the greens because they were having problems with the grass not rooting too good when they were verti-cut. I played there right after Thanksgiving and the greens were pretty slow and shaggy. Hopefully it'll get better with time.

Taylormade M2 9.5* Graphite Design GP 6s
Taylormade M2 15* Graphite Design DJ 7x
Taylormade M1 17* and 21* Graphite Design Tour AD-GT 85s
Miura PP-9003 5-PW Nippon Ns Pro Modus 3 120 stiff
Titleist forged Vokey 50, 54, 58 wedges Nippon Ns Pro Modus 120
Scotty Cameron 009 beached 350 gram

Waikele was awesome right when it reopened. The greens were rolling very true, although they were lightning fast. Now they've gotten pretty beat up again. They were the first course in Hawaii to try the new Tiff Eagle grass and they had some problems with Paspallum (sp?) invading the greens. I also heard from one of the course employees that they haven't been verti-cutting the greens because they were having problems with the grass not rooting too good when they were verti-cut. I played there right after Thanksgiving and the greens were pretty slow and shaggy. Hopefully it'll get better with time.

Hey Chucky...I thought they replanted the greens with Paspalum?

Anyways...a couple of us played there right when they opened....post #97. Didn't like it then...sad to hear it's still not good.

Reid,

According to my cousin who runs Ameriturf he said that Waikele was the first course in Hawaii to try a new type of grass, Tiff Eagle. They got it from Southern Turf in Mililani according to him. Either way, the course is not in good shape.

Taylormade M2 9.5* Graphite Design GP 6s
Taylormade M2 15* Graphite Design DJ 7x
Taylormade M1 17* and 21* Graphite Design Tour AD-GT 85s
Miura PP-9003 5-PW Nippon Ns Pro Modus 3 120 stiff
Titleist forged Vokey 50, 54, 58 wedges Nippon Ns Pro Modus 120
Scotty Cameron 009 beached 350 gram

Reid,

According to my cousin who runs Ameriturf he said that Waikele was the first course in Hawaii to try a new type of grass, Tiff Eagle. They got it from Southern Turf in Mililani according to him. Either way, the course is not in good shape.

That's odd...could have sworn it was paspalum. You're right though...it was pretty lousy. Sad to hear after all these months it's still lousy. Thanks for the report though....we can check that place off for awhile. :fool:

don'y normally post in here, because I play the same course all the time but today I had a treat. I got to play Waialae today. Couse is in great condition with the rough at tournament height. The rough around the greens is no fun, but it sits up ok near the fairways...at least for me it did. Shot a smooth 78 after starting out with a string of 6 5's (6 over for those that cant figure it out :fool: ). The greens are the amazing part...they are quick with a capital Q. After playing Leilehua all the time, anything seems fast, but these were like glass. Great day overall, with great company.

don'y normally post in here, because I play the same course all the time but today I had a treat. I got to play Waialae today. Couse is in great condition with the rough at tournament height. The rough around the greens is no fun, but it sits up ok near the fairways...at least for me it did. Shot a smooth 78 after starting out with a string of 6 5's (6 over for those that cant figure it out :) ). The greens are the amazing part...they are quick with a capital Q. After playing Leilehua all the time, anything seems fast, but these were like glass. Great day overall, with great company.

Great round Don! :fool: It's been a while since I was last at Waialae before the Sony. The rough is very rough. With the lack of a gallery to mash it down, it's really easy to loose a ball in the week preceding the tournament. Waialae's greens are always superb. The one thing I really like is the smooth roll and really lack of undulations as compared to a course like Oahu CC. Everything runs a little truer there. Almost like putting on a carpet....but a fast one. :D

Well...was out at Leilehua today. Played okay but something occurred to me while I was playing. My swing is really getting crappy. :) Irons were average to above average. I hit them pretty much like my usual with a slight draw. The driver was crap. I felt like I was steering everyone of them. Something really has gone wrong in my swing and I think it's time to see a Doctor. I kept telling Russ that something was wrong for the past months because my I felt that I wasn't generating any swing speed. Plus the fact that 808golfer was outdriving me along with Russ I knew something wasn't right. I know my elbow's been killing me but usually three advils make me forget that. :) Today I knew when I was hitting a 7 iron from 150 instead of my usual 9 iron something was going bad really quick.

Immediately after my round I went to see one of my Doctors and he told me that since I haven't been practicing at all and hardly playing, I'm overthinking everything and I need to just get my butt on the range to beat my swing back in shape. Later I went to Par 72 where that "nice guy" over there let me beat some balls on the launch monitor. My suspicions were affirmed. My club head speed has disappeared. The "nice guy" at Par 72 told me I should use a Senior shaft instead of my usual pipes. (cool) ;)

Oh golf gods.....what did I do to make you so pissed at me. :idhitit: :drinks:

Oh golf gods.....what did I do to make you so pissed at me. :) (cool)

Stop flinging their equipment!!! :) LOL...I'm guilty of that as well :idhitit:

not funny....I've never been this sick with no idea how to fix it. ;)

Maybe wathing the pro's next week will be a cure. :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey...wassamatta...all the Hawaii boys hitting the driving range in preparation for this weekend instead of playing golf? Since there's not many of us who will be able to attend....I know someone's got to be hitting th links!

Anyways..was out at Navy Marine last week. Suprised myself by playing pretty well for a guy who was hitting the ball pretty crappy. I guess my chipping was the biggest plus since I wasn't hitting many greens. I must have went up and down for par about six times. Two stupid doubles screwed me up. Results of errant drives...but still managed to break 80. Hopefully with the shaft change I just did this week, I'll be able to have a decent round on Saturday. :drinks:

well i'll be playing with the boss this saturday at makaha east. playing once every two weeks is getting to me, its not nearly enough....

hopefully i get to hear the stories after your guys round! and im curious to hear what you have in your bag, Reid!

Ahh..even more pressure. I think I'll just bring my set of clubs from high school! :drinks: Dwight you should bring your boss to play with us. If you're lucky, Russ won't hit him with a club! :)

well i'll be playing with the boss this saturday at makaha east. playing once every two weeks is getting to me, its not nearly enough....

hopefully i get to hear the stories after your guys round! and im curious to hear what you have in your bag, Reid!

Ahh..even more pressure. I think I'll just bring my set of clubs from high school! :drinks: Dwight you should bring your boss to play with us. If you're lucky, Russ won't hit him with a club! :)

haha, i can picture my boss' face! :) but he likes to play with his 2 bank golf clubs. one of these days i'll make it to one..

Thought Royal Kunia is a great course ( read some articles on it) though price is bit steep at around $150. Going to Honolulu myself in March 07 for a holiday & was looking to play a round on a good course but not pay too much.

Wasn't too sure of the conditions of the munis so keeping my options open at the moment. BTW I'm coming all the way from Australia. Funny name Blossom (couldn't think of a better name at the time) but I'm not a girl/woman.

Well.....was off yesterday and decided to take up my Dad on his offer to play with his Sunday club at OCC. Pretty hard to turn that offer down. Anyways...I was awful and the day was awful. My 13th hole...was hell. :superman: Don't laugh to hard on this.....The 13th at OCC is a rather short Par 5 but it's all uphill which makes it play longer. I hit a nice drive, layed up with a 4 iron and proceeded to skull the crap out of a wedge in the back right trap. The rest of my group...4 of them happened to all hit in the front left trap. Well, I walked on to the back of the green figuring I'd set myself up to hit my shot after they completed theirs. I glanced over at them and stepped in the trap from the steep top with my right foot. As soon as my foot hit the sand the side of the trap collapsed under it. I tried to catch my balance but slid down the slope on one foot which eventually caused my left foot to kick off the grass which in turn caused me to fall knee's first then chest into the sand. I almost ate my ball but managed to roll to the side of it. :superman: I stood up and found both my shoes were now filled with sand and my whole front covered with that powdery crap too. My right knee was stinging so I brushed the sand off of it only to find a nice strawberry that covered the whole knee cap. Next thing I know I was bleeding all over the place from my knee. :superman: I was trying to compose myself and hit my shot but ended up thinning it across the green into the trap the other four guys were in. Walked over to that trap, knocked it close and went to putt. All while trickling blood to my ankles. :) When I got to my ball on the green, my playing partners were like WTF happened to you???? :superman: None of them saw me fall in the trap! :superman: Anyways...managed to one putt for bogey. What a day...and I'll never ever think of that 13th hole without this lasting memory in my head. :superman:

haha!! im glad to see that im not the only one that that kind of stuff happens to! i fall down way to much on the course......some people call it clumsy.....but all it takes is me not paying attention and some un-even ground and then its all over....

WAIT!!! let me add this in.....has anyone ever tripped themselves with their own club while running?? i did, after i hit my approach with my wedge, i ran up to see where it was and the wedge somehow got caught between my legs and needless to say i went head over heels.......so sad...

Well.....was off yesterday and decided to take up my Dad on his offer to play with his Sunday club at OCC. Pretty hard to turn that offer down. Anyways...I was awful and the day was awful. My 13th hole...was hell. :superman: Don't laugh to hard on this.....The 13th at OCC is a rather short Par 5 but it's all uphill which makes it play longer. I hit a nice drive, layed up with a 4 iron and proceeded to skull the crap out of a wedge in the back right trap. The rest of my group...4 of them happened to all hit in the front left trap. Well, I walked on to the back of the green figuring I'd set myself up to hit my shot after they completed theirs. I glanced over at them and stepped in the trap from the steep top with my right foot. As soon as my foot hit the sand the side of the trap collapsed under it. I tried to catch my balance but slid down the slope on one foot which eventually caused my left foot to kick off the grass which in turn caused me to fall knee's first then chest into the sand. I almost ate my ball but managed to roll to the side of it. :superman: I stood up and found both my shoes were now filled with sand and my whole front covered with that powdery crap too. My right knee was stinging so I brushed the sand off of it only to find a nice strawberry that covered the whole knee cap. Next thing I know I was bleeding all over the place from my knee. :superman: I was trying to compose myself and hit my shot but ended up thinning it across the green into the trap the other four guys were in. Walked over to that trap, knocked it close and went to putt. All while trickling blood to my ankles. :) When I got to my ball on the green, my playing partners were like WTF happened to you???? :superman: None of them saw me fall in the trap! :superman: Anyways...managed to one putt for bogey. What a day...and I'll never ever think of that 13th hole without this lasting memory in my head. :superman:

LOL Sorry. Man, I've got to make one of these outings. When you guys go to the golf course sh$t happens.

haha!! im glad to see that im not the only one that that kind of stuff happens to! i fall down way to much on the course......some people call it clumsy.....but all it takes is me not paying attention and some un-even ground and then its all over....

WAIT!!! let me add this in.....has anyone ever tripped themselves with their own club while running?? i did, after i hit my approach with my wedge, i ran up to see where it was and the wedge somehow got caught between my legs and needless to say i went head over heels.......so sad...

:) Damn Dwight...I think tripping yourself beats my falling in the trap. But then again..I had all that blood. :superman:

LOL Sorry. Man, I've got to make one of these outings. When you guys go to the golf course sh$t happens.

Yeah..definitely not boring. But I could do without the blood loss! :superman:

What a day...and I'll never ever think of that 13th hole without this lasting memory in my head. :superman:

Ouch!! I'm sure that "strawberry" on your knee will remind you for quite some time.

Yikes! That was some fall mister pitbull! I wish I had my camera! lol You know if you can't do your job at a 100% might as well stay home! hee hee Does that sound like someone...sirrrrrrrr :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm going to go play Ko Olina for the first time ever tomorrow, any tips or course management advice, what should I expect, other than my wallet being a little lighter for the greens fee?

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

So what Rick...how was it at Ko Olina. It's been ages since I played there. Probably the last time was after the Fields last year. I really need to get back out there. At least to get another free cup! :drinks: