Hawaii GolfWRX'ers where did you play?

pitbull808

Well, I played Wailua today. WOW! I like this golf course. The putting woes continued, and I lipped out about 6 putts, mainly due to speed issues. Despite the poor putting, it was a fun round and a beautiful golf course. Unfortunately for me, it was difficult getting used to OB stakes on the interior of the golf course. That cost me more than a few strokes. I am now a Wailua believer, and can safely say that I will be back! The greens were in really good condition and did not have many ugly marks. Fairways were well manicured and the rough was nicely trimmed. OBs and my cr@ppy putting led to a disappointing 88. Funny thing about those OBs; I played all 18 holes with just one ball. Go figure.

Had breakfast at Oki Diner, and the pancakes were great. Too bad there are many other spots to eat and golf here on Kauai that I will not get a chance to try on this trip. The good news is, that now I have to come back! :idhitit:

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, glad to hear you had a great time. Wailua is definitely a great gem and who would think it qualifies for the title of "muni course". :idhitit: It always looks pretty darn good and is definitely a "must play" on Kauai.

Welcome back! ;)

Damn, I knew I should've played Wailua when I was there in June. I ended up just playing Poipu, my initial plan was to use the money for one round at Poipu to play Wailua and Kiahuna, or someplace else. Well, next time I know where to try. BTW, even though it's a little touristy, I loved Puka Dogs too.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

Damn, I knew I should've played Wailua when I was there in June. I ended up just playing Poipu, my initial plan was to use the money for one round at Poipu to play Wailua and Kiahuna, or someplace else. Well, next time I know where to try. BTW, even though it's a little touristy, I loved Puka Dogs too.

Aw Man! I didn't get a chance to try Puka Dogs! :idhitit:

Had breakfast at Oki Diner, and the pancakes were great. Too bad there are many other spots to eat and golf here on Kauai that I will not get a chance to try on this trip. The good news is, that now I have to come back! :idhitit:

yes, their pancakes are awesome! their other menu items are alright, some might need work.

and what are puka dogs????????????? ;) sounds tempting!

Had breakfast at Oki Diner, and the pancakes were great. Too bad there are many other spots to eat and golf here on Kauai that I will not get a chance to try on this trip. The good news is, that now I have to come back! ;)

yes, their pancakes are awesome! their other menu items are alright, some might need work.

and what are puka dogs????????????? :crazy: sounds tempting!

Just had lunch at Oki Diner and it was okay. I had to get a Puka Dog before I left. Alpha, they are polish dogs that are slid into a roll that they poke a hotdog size heating rod into to brown the roll, then they slide the polish dog in with a lemon/garlic spread. The real difference makers are the various fruit relishes that can be added to your dog. They have mango, pineapple, banana, star fruit, and something else, although I can't remember what it was. I tried the banana and it was better than I expected. The relishes are almost like a syrup, and they do not contain pickles like the regular pickle relish that we normally get with hotdogs. They were good, although a little pricey and the homemade lemonade was a winner too. They are located in a little mall in Koloa/Poipu near the Roy's restaurant. I was tempted to stop at Kiahuna, since I had the clubs in the trunk too. The wife didn't look too pleased with that suggestion, so I just kept driving. :idhitit:

Sadly, I am sitting in the Lihue Airport waiting for my flight back to Oahu. Only 3 more weeks until I get to come back and play golf here again! :stop:

Gee thanks Tony. Now I'm hungry again and I just ate a plate lunch from Grace's. :idhitit:

On a sidenote...since we're talking Kauai food. If you ever get a chance to go to a Bon Dance there....they have an item I've seen nowhere else but on Kauai. The "Flying Saucer". Kind of like a manwich crimped on the sides and toasty. Couple of those, some barbeque sticks and andagi and I'm all set! ;)

okay stop all the food talk. puka dogs are driving me wild thinking about it! ;) and that flying saucer thing is just putting me over the top!!! since i am a big fan of manwiches!

sadly, i dont know when i will be visiting kauai again..... :stop:

i wish somehow people would give in and find a way to connect a few islands together. kauai and oahu being one of them! :idhitit:

and a side note, my 100th post!! :crazy:

okay stop all the food talk. puka dogs are driving me wild thinking about it! :stop: and that flying saucer thing is just putting me over the top!!! since i am a big fan of manwiches!

sadly, i dont know when i will be visiting kauai again..... :crazy:

i wish somehow people would give in and find a way to connect a few islands together. kauai and oahu being one of them! :idhitit:

and a side note, my 100th post!! ;)

;) Dwight..no kidding...I'm freeking starving now! And congratulations...only 2,700 more to catch me!

OKAY..back on topic...I was out at Koolau on the putting green today. Wouldn't you know it...after about 45 minutes...felt a small rain drop...then another...then another..Next thing you know it was pouring like crazy and I was running for the parking lot!

haha, ok maybe if i average about 100 posts a day for the next month........ :idhitit: ....who am i kidding...

and about the topic of rain!.....so yesterday i get a call from my friend around 3:30. he wants to go play 9 at pearl. so i say, isnt it going to rain? of course he says ahhh dont worry about the rain! so i get in my truck, and while driving there it begins to pour! it stops by the time i get there and it seems that it will just be a on and off type of rain. so we played anyways. it actually was half decent (besides the aerated greens) i got a little wet and plus nobody else was on the course! the weather was nothing that i wasnt used to though, i played in much worse. ;)

but pearl will be good again in about 2 weeks, i say. they just cut the grass and the greens seem to be coming along great. although there were a good amount of divots on the greens already. just a heads up if anybody was going there.

Just had lunch at Oki Diner and it was okay. I had to get a Puka Dog before I left. Alpha, they are polish dogs that are slid into a roll that they poke a hotdog size heating rod into to brown the roll, then they slide the polish dog in with a lemon/garlic spread. The real difference makers are the various fruit relishes that can be added to your dog. They have mango, pineapple, banana, star fruit, and something else, although I can't remember what it was. I tried the banana and it was better than I expected. The relishes are almost like a syrup, and they do not contain pickles like the regular pickle relish that we normally get with hotdogs. They were good, although a little pricey and the homemade lemonade was a winner too. They are located in a little mall in Koloa/Poipu near the Roy's restaurant. I was tempted to stop at Kiahuna, since I had the clubs in the trunk too. The wife didn't look too pleased with that suggestion, so I just kept driving. :idhitit:

Sadly, I am sitting in the Lihue Airport waiting for my flight back to Oahu. Only 3 more weeks until I get to come back and play golf here again! ;)

Man! I saw those puka dogs on the food network when they were going all over for a good hot dog!! I am jealous!!!! I want to try those puka dogs...but I ain't flying over there just for that...need to make a golf trip!!! :stop:

What? No one went and played this weekend? I didn't get a chance myself, hopefully will get out for 9 at Ala Wai after work. But we'll see if I can even swing, I went surfing with the girlfriend near China Walls and paddling out and back in kicked my Word not allowed. My arms and shoulders don't even ache this bad after I lift.

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

What? No one went and played this weekend? I didn't get a chance myself, hopefully will get out for 9 at Ala Wai after work. But we'll see if I can even swing, I went surfing with the girlfriend near China Walls and paddling out and back in kicked my Word not allowed. My arms and shoulders don't even ache this bad after I lift.

:idhitit:

I played 9 at Ala Wai this morning (9 hole maintenance day). It was a little crowded, but it was a good chance to try out my r7 460 TP. I never even hit the driver on the range, unwrapped it and went to play. I drove it well, but my iron play was terrible. Double bogeyed the first from 110 out in the dead center of the fairway. ;) Despite the horrible iron play, I managed a 4 over par 38 (that's pretty good for me). :yess:

Hey "rok", I hope you get to play, and I hope it doesn't hurt too bad. :diablo:

I wish I got to play on the weekend. It's been ages since I've done that since I have weekdays off.

Played polo today out at New Ewa Beach. I'd have golfed but knocking the balls left, right, over and under was more of what I was doing. It was hotter then hades at 10:30am and playing behind three keeaumoku street women :diablo: for 18 holes made it a long day. Actually it wasn't their fault because the course looked backed up all over. No score to brag about....I'd rather hide in a cave. Put it this way...this might be the second month in a row that the 'cap goes up. :idhitit:

Put it this way...this might be the second month in a row that the 'cap goes up. :diablo:

Is that really a bad thing? :idhitit:

If we ever really do have an outing, then you can play with your "old" cap Pit :yess: . In fact if everyone plays with a vanity 'cap, then maybe I could have a chance.

And by the way, work is really getting in the way of my golf. I had to stay late yesterday and didn't get a chance to even hit balls at Ala Wai. I'm getting desperate, I might just take a day off work to get in a round.

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

Put it this way...this might be the second month in a row that the 'cap goes up. :wub:

Is that really a bad thing? :idhitit:

If we ever really do have an outing, then you can play with your "old" cap Pit :D . In fact if everyone plays with a vanity 'cap, then maybe I could have a chance.

And by the way, work is really getting in the way of my golf. I had to stay late yesterday and didn't get a chance to even hit balls at Ala Wai. I'm getting desperate, I might just take a day off work to get in a round.

I have no pride! My handicap is 36! ;) ...on a good day! :diablo:

I agree, work gets in the way of playing golf...that's why I stopped working! :) Now I can golf everyday. I can go to Roots everyday. I can hit balls everyday. And best of all, I don't have to work late! :yess: But going to Roots everyday gets expensive. :)

Maybe I could start recycling for the HI-5 money? Do you think Keith will mind being paid with bottles and cans? ;)

My handicap is my ball doesn't go where I want it to go. :diablo:

Anyways....enough ...positive thoughts from now on! :yess:

Dwight....a couple of us will be out at Waikele next Friday. Tony....that's a lot of bottles and cans to collect for a newbie club from Roots! ;) Trust me...I've been saving mine! :idhitit:

This one is from the "DOH! :idhitit: " file.

I played Ala Wai again this morning and the r7 460 TP has got to be the straightest and most forgiving driver there is! 5 of 6 fairways hit on the front and 2 of 3 (the ones I used driver on) on the back. 15 to 20 yards short of my FT-3, but sooooo easy to hit straight. I putted pretty well, but my iron play was pathetic! :diablo: I am glad I wasn't playing with you guys, because it was painful to watch. Let's just say there was a whole lotta chipping and pitching going on. So I scramble around half decent until I get to 17 and 18, where I started to get very tired due to walking in the heat. I doubled 17, then hit one O.B. on 18 and made double there...to shoot 83 :yess: I don't break 80 all that often, so this was a good opportunity, considering I was having a bad iron day. But I blew it!

Can I get a "DOH!" from the gallery?

i gave in and played hawaii country club again today......i must say though, it got alot better than the last time i was there! the greens has improved alot since the last time!! i figured i try there because i was by myself today and its not that crowded over there. my friend bailed on me to watch football! there was at least 8 or 9 strokes i could have made up today!! missed a few 4-5 footers, burned a few edges and lipped out one or two, and hit a few OB. for a relatively easy course i shot a 84 (40/44), and if i hadnt messed up so much it would have been 70's really easy!! considering i only hit 4/18 gir's!! it sucks cause i mess up so much and it always costs me rounds in the 70's. :idhitit:

Well a couple of us were up early making that loooong drive to Makaha this morning. We played at Makaha Valley Country Club aka Makaha East.

The course was really in great condition. It was nice to not be putting on Paspalum greens. The ball had a great roll...although no matter where you were, the break was towards the ocean. :yess: It takes a while to realize no matter what you see the grain would take the ball against the break or even in some areas uphill.

I played pretty good considering I hit two buckets of range balls yesterday off the hosel of my clubs from wedge to driver. :diablo: Didn't have any hosel rockets today....I can't say the same for my friend though. He can come out of the closet if he chooses to admit to his "problem". :) Drove pretty crappy all day but managed to chip and putt like a pro. The new G Field 3 wood worked spectacularly on the three holes that I needed it. If you haven't tried one....it's not all hype. That is the most solid 3 wood I've hit in awhile. Which equated to about six in the last year. ;)

All in all, managed to get two easy birdies while missing two kind of easy ones. Still managed to break 80 which is always a good thing. Too bad I had enough bogeys to offset the birdies. :idhitit:

i guess you ended up buying the 3 wood huh? :idhitit: i have yet to give mines a serious shot, i only used it twice the other day. its alot harder to hit than the viq, it will take some time getting used to. however it does go farther than the viq, and it sounds so much better!

tomorrow we will be going to turtle bay, fazio course. they aerated the greens earlier and i couldnt pass it up for 35$ and they said tee times were wide open on saturday! :diablo: . im hoping the greens arent as bad, but for 35 bucks im not expecting much. we'll see tomorrow.

Didn't have any hosel rockets today....I can't say the same for my friend though. He can come out of the closet if he chooses to admit to his "problem". :) The new G Field 3 wood worked spectacularly on the three holes that I needed it. If you haven't tried one....it's not all hype. That is the most solid 3 wood I've hit in awhile. Which equated to about six in the last year. :)

You rotten person :idhitit: had to swear this morning and say the s*%#k word. Made me s#%*k my chip on the 11th hole. :diablo:

Gotta say the 3W sounded really solid and was definitely impressed :yess: Six 3W's in the past year? Ya sure about that or did you lose count above six? ;) Nah, just for grins so don't get your panties in a bunch :wub:

i guess you ended up buying the 3 wood huh? :idhitit: i have yet to give mines a serious shot, i only used it twice the other day. its alot harder to hit than the viq, it will take some time getting used to. however it does go farther than the viq, and it sounds so much better!

tomorrow we will be going to turtle bay, fazio course. they aerated the greens earlier and i couldnt pass it up for 35$ and they said tee times were wide open on saturday! :yess: . im hoping the greens arent as bad, but for 35 bucks im not expecting much. we'll see tomorrow.

Dwight...I didn't just buy the 3 wood..I'm totally loving it. That shaft combo is working spectacularly and I'm ripping it from the tee and the fairway. I initially thought it might be a little difficult and similar to my experiences with Sonartec but have been pleasantly suprised and pleased with it.

$35 at the Fazio?? Sounds like a great deal...until you calculate the gas for the drive! I think my beast would eat up a tank going back and forth. Maybe it's time I get that Scion Xb :diablo:

Played Waikele today, and the new greens are much better than the old ones. I did not see a great deal of difference in the layout, other than the new yardage flags (yes flags) in the fairways. The course was in better shape than I remember it before, so that was nice. The greens still have a lot of break in them. I had a 4 footer that broke about 18 inches! One of the marshalls said that they changed the way they were cutting the greens, since the greens were breaking a lot more :idhitit: than this before they made the change. All in all, it was nice.

Sadly, I seemed to have "misplaced" my golf swing on the back nine. :yess: Let's say that I doubled 17 AND 18 again! :diablo: I managed to keep it under 90, but it was nothing to brag about.

Dwight...I didn't just buy the 3 wood..I'm totally loving it. That shaft combo is working spectacularly and I'm ripping it from the tee and the fairway. I initially thought it might be a little difficult and similar to my experiences with Sonartec but have been pleasantly suprised and pleased with it.

$35 at the Fazio?? Sounds like a great deal...until you calculate the gas for the drive! I think my beast would eat up a tank going back and forth. Maybe it's time I get that Scion Xb :diablo:

:yess: thats good to hear! hopefully it isnt just your honeymooning phase!

and yah im hoping that i can make it there and back without having to fill up! even though my tacoma is a 4 cylinder it still manages to eat gas like a v6! my next car might have to be a hybrid car! :)

on a side note,

and for the first time i played night golf at bayview tonight!!!! i must say depth perception makes things tough at night!! and also hitting chip shots in the dim lighting is wierd! i managed two birdies and still shot a 6 over! :idhitit: it must have been the night........although it was really fun, except for the carrying my big bridgestone staff bag around. i shoulda switched bags before i went. ;) great fun for 7$!! last call is at 9 and supposedly closes at 10, even though they let us play till 10:30.

Exactly! I hope it's not just a honeymoon phase, but the G Field has got to be one of the best sounding 3 woods I've hit in ages. I loved my Tour Edge Xotic for it's distance but I couldn't stand the tinny sound. This G Field has a solid thwack to it. Russ/pm hacker's first words when I hit it on the 3rd hole at Makaha East today were "Damn, that sounds good"

Anyways...Bay View night golf? Cool! I've been seeing their adds in the sports page lately. I played there last year during the day with my GF. Always a good place to tune up your short irons. I can't believe you lugged that BStone bag around the course. We were looking at it at Carlton's place the other day and all of us thought that sucker was HUGE!

yes i cant believe i carried it also. im a dummy. i wont make the same mistake again! :idhitit: and once you get used to seeing it everyday it dosent seem that huge! that is until i put it next to my old bag.....

and i didnt even use my 3 wood on the par 4's tonight. i was scared to use the unfamiliar! or maybe i didnt want to go look for it in the dark! maybe tomorrow...