Hawaii GolfWRX'ers where did you play?

pitbull808

A little off topic, but which course has the best practice facility in your opinions. I'm talking combination, range and short game area. I usually go to Mililani because no one goes there, but the practice bunker is crap and you can't call those practice greens. Just flags stuck in light rough.

Ko Olina. Big practice green, which is well manicured. Beautiful chipping and pitching area (bunker too). Driviing range is real grass instead of mats. Range balls are usually in pretty good shape too. I see Michelle Wie out there practicing quite a bit. Only draw back is that it is kinda far for me and it can be a bit windy.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little off topic, but which course has the best practice facility in your opinions. I'm talking combination, range and short game area. I usually go to Mililani because no one goes there, but the practice bunker is crap and you can't call those practice greens. Just flags stuck in light rough.

Ko Olina. Big practice green, which is well manicured. Beautiful chipping and pitching area (bunker too). Driviing range is real grass instead of mats. Range balls are usually in pretty good shape too. I see Michelle Wie out there practicing quite a bit. Only draw back is that it is kinda far for me and it can be a bit windy.

Yeah, Ko Olina is out of the way for me too. Just cause I'm in town most of the time now, but now I'll check it out for sure. Anywhere else closer to town, maybe Koolau?

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

Rick...I alternate between Koolau and Bay View. Bay View...the balls suck but at least there's shade over there. I still end up dripping like a pig but I'm not all sun burnt. I usually take a bag of shag balls to hit with my driver. They have a sign there to not use any of your own balls....but I tee em up and try flying the fence with them. :( If I get up early in the morning....which lately with me getting off at 10pm is a bit later then I want to.......I go to Koolau. I like Koolau's driving range. The balls are all pretty new Nike practice balls. The poles are located on "greens" so aiming for a target is much more fun. The putting green is huge. When I get bored, I do a couple of 60yard lag putts. There's also a chipping area and the bunker is pretty good too.

Well I finally got to get a round of golf in today. If you can call it that. Weeks of not practicing took it's toll in a big way. I should have known it wasn't going to be a good day when I spent a few minutes last night before packing my bag in the car staring at my putters. I didn't even know which putter I used last and which one would go with me today. Anyways... Russ and I woke up early after getting off late last night and met up at Luana Hills for the first tee time.

The vog was everywhere when I first got to the course. It looked like a cloud was hanging over the course. We made our way to the 10th hole...and left with pars. Okay..not bad for being rusty....signs of a good day perhaps??? Not! :drinks: No sooner after we were both just practice/playing. Since we were the first one's out and had left the group behind us about two holes back, both of us were hitting ton's of balls off the tee. I know he had two drivers and I was just trying to groove some sort of swing.

Although the rains were pretty heavy for the past two days, it didn't show on the course. The greens were very firm. They were so firm you could hear the ball land from the fairway. I thought this was really unusual since they said they had just recently aerated. I had spent a few minutes on the putting green when I arrived but stopped because they were in such bad shape. I figured no sense practice on these because the course must be better. I was wrong...the greens were in horrible condition. Some kind of circular fungus had spread all over the greens. There were dark green circular splotches all over the place. Really ugly looking. I felt sorry for the tourist behind us who had to pay the big bucks to experience greens that looked like they could have been from Hawaii Country Club/Old Kunia.

The fairways were in pretty good shape. Although there were a few muddy areas where the drives would get plugged, at least they were allowing the carts on them.

All in all...a pretty lousy day of golf. :cheesy: The only good thing was that my new Spin Milled wedges worked great. Maybe a little too great. I'm going to definitely have to change the way I attack a hole. The ball doesn't move to far once it lands. :cheesy:

Well I finally got to get a round of golf in today. If you can call it that. Weeks of not practicing took it's toll in a big way. I should have known it wasn't going to be a good day when I spent a few minutes last night before packing my bag in the car staring at my putters. I didn't even know which putter I used last and which one would go with me today. Anyways... Russ and I woke up early after getting off late last night and met up at Luana Hills for the first tee time.

The vog was everywhere when I first got to the course. It looked like a cloud was hanging over the course. We made our way to the 10th hole...and left with pars. Okay..not bad for being rusty....signs of a good day perhaps??? Not! :cheesy: No sooner after we were both just practice/playing. Since we were the first one's out and had left the group behind us about two holes back, both of us were hitting ton's of balls off the tee. I know he had two drivers and I was just trying to groove some sort of swing.

Although the rains were pretty heavy for the past two days, it didn't show on the course. The greens were very firm. They were so firm you could hear the ball land from the fairway. I thought this was really unusual since they said they had just recently aerated. I had spent a few minutes on the putting green when I arrived but stopped because they were in such bad shape. I figured no sense practice on these because the course must be better. I was wrong...the greens were in horrible condition. Some kind of circular fungus had spread all over the greens. There were dark green circular splotches all over the place. Really ugly looking. I felt sorry for the tourist behind us who had to pay the big bucks to experience greens that looked like they could have been from Hawaii Country Club/Old Kunia.

The fairways were in pretty good shape. Although there were a few muddy areas where the drives would get plugged, at least they were allowing the carts on them.

All in all...a pretty lousy day of golf. :cheesy: The only good thing was that my new Spin Milled wedges worked great. Maybe a little too great. I'm going to definitely have to change the way I attack a hole. The ball doesn't move to far once it lands. :cheesy:

Thank goodness it was free :drinks: I know that Prince GC next week and Hickam GC the following week will be in great shape.

Well, I snuck away today to play golf again, since I am having fun with my new wedges. Got invited to play Royal Kunia and couldn't turn it down. Things started out looking very promising despite a mediocre tee shot off of #1. Layed up and hit my gap wedge to 12 feet. Slid the putt by to make an easy par. Hit a perfect cut 3 wood off the tee on #2 and put my second to about 25 feet. I 3 putted for bogey. Sadly I repeated the same drill for the next 5 holes! 3 putts for bogey! :drinks: It was painful to watch, to say the least. I only played one bad hole all day, which I doubled. Tee to green was great but I just could not make a putt. 14 putts for birdie and I didn't make any of them! :cheesy: Despite all the 3 jacks, a bad knee, and the rain, I limped in for 43-40. But oh what could have been...it's not often that I hit 14 out of 18 greens in regulation.

Well, I snuck away today to play golf again, since I am having fun with my new wedges. Got invited to play Royal Kunia and couldn't turn it down. Things started out looking very promising despite a mediocre tee shot off of #1. Layed up and hit my gap wedge to 12 feet. Slid the putt by to make an easy par. Hit a perfect cut 3 wood off the tee on #2 and put my second to about 25 feet. I 3 putted for bogey. Sadly I repeated the same drill for the next 5 holes! 3 putts for bogey! :drinks: It was painful to watch, to say the least. I only played one bad hole all day, which I doubled. Tee to green was great but I just could not make a putt. 14 putts for birdie and I didn't make any of them! :cheesy: Despite all the 3 jacks, a bad knee, and the rain, I limped in for 43-40. But oh what could have been...it's not often that I hit 14 out of 18 greens in regulation.

hey sounds like a perfect time to change it up a little and try out a nice new putter!! :wave:

hey sounds like a perfect time to change it up a little and try out a nice new putter!! :wave:

Heeehehe....My thoughts exactly! :D Nice round anyways Tony. I'd be happy with it the way I'm playing!

I along with pmhacker, 808golfer and loprohitta were out at Hawaii Prince today. We were first out on the C & A courses. I was pretty worried that the place might be a little muddy due to all the rains we had in the past couple of days. Those fears were really unwarranted considering it is Ewa we were playing in. :drinks:

The course looked pretty darn good considering they aerated recently. The grass had grown over the greens and although there was still a few impressions where they spiked it, they rolled pretty true and smooth. I was really impressed because the speed was pretty good too. I think once they roll it and verticut it, they will be fantastic.

Since we were the first ones out, it was a quick 3.5hr round. We finished before the sun really got hot. I played okay. There were many holes that I really screwed myself but still finished in the 70's. All in all a great day to wake up and play golf. :cheesy:

Alright, gotta vent!

Ever have one of those days when you wish you showed up at the course either 5 minutes earlier or 5 minutes later?

So I take my recently Pimped by Carl bag and head to a certain municipal golf course to walk on and test out my new sticks. I get paired immediately with another single and off we go. This guy, who I will call "Hal" (names have been changed to protect the guilty) warns me that he isn't a very good player. I say, "no problem", as I play with 100 shooters all the time. Well, I had no idea what I was in for! :)

Since we were on the tee as soon as we finished paying, we loaded the cart and scrambled to the first tee. I start stretching out and Hal goes to the tee box. As I get a ball and tee out of my bag, he slaps at the ball and doinks it off the tee. Hal quickly reaches into his pocket and tees up another ball, then swipes at it again. almost the same results, but a little further. I drive him to his first shot, which he proceeds to pick-up and put in his pocket. I drive him to his second ball. As he is looking over his shot, he asks me for the yardage. I tell him the approximate yardage and he starts rummaging through his clubs. He finally selects a club and addresses the ball. After a few waggles, he decides that this is not the right club and goes back to his bag. He pulls another club, then proceeds to hit his shot, which hits the top of a tree and drops.

I finally get a chance to go over and look for my ball, only to find that it is in a water hazard. I take my drop and hit my 3rd to about 15 feet. I take Hal back to his ball, which is nestled next to a tree. He tries the miracle shot and moves the ball 3 yards. He then asks me for yardage again, then proceeds to yank his shot left of the green. He runs across the fairway and only grabs one club! He chips up and scurries back to to the cart. Finally, we made it to the green! He slaps it across the green and leaves it about 6 feet from the cup. Now it's my turn, so I address my ball and notice that he has decided the he will finish. I back away and watch as he takes 6 or 7 waggles (yes with the putter) and pushes the putt 18 inches from the hole. He walks up to the hole and promptly steps on my line as he takes another 6 or 7 waggles before tapping in his 18 incher! I finally get to putt and hit my putt 6 feet past the hole. I make the 6 footer for bogey and head to the next tee.

There was a back-up on the second hole and we catch-up to the group in front of us. He notices that I am a pretty decent player and starts asking me to help him with his swing and give him advice. I don't mind giving my friends tips, but I hate doing it for strangers. Hal explains that he has been playing for a year and plays with a regular group on fridays. Then he starts asking me a million questions about golf, the swing, strategy, and equipment. What kind of questions you ask? Hmmm. Grip, stance, swing, path, what driver should he get, is it true the new drivers are better, should he hit a 5 wood instead of a 3 iron, should he chip or putt from just off the green? You get the idea! Isn't the group in front of me off the green yet???? C'mon! I am doing my best to be gracious and answer all of his questions, but boy this is getting old real fast. we finish the hole without much incident, and I start thinking maybe it won't be so bad. Once again, wrong! :drinks:

We tee off on the next hole, which is a Par 5 and he repeats the waggle routine and slaps a shot down the path. Without missing a beat, he re-tees and takes another swipe! Another great doink! I can't hit, since I have to wait for the fairway to clear before I can hit. So Hal decides to re-tee again and swipes at another one! He then turns to me and asks for some help with his swing. I give him a very quick tip then start to tee up my ball, purposely stopping him from teeing up yet another time. I hit my shot and then have to take him to pick up all the balls he sprayed. We hit our second shots and we go over to his ball and he proceeds to hit a grounder that actually rolls up pretty close to the green. I compliment him on the results of his shot, and he complains that he is not happy with it, since it was not an aesthetically pleasing shot. Hal then explains that he and I are very different golfers, since I prefer to score well and think my way around a golf course; while he would prefer to hit a really nice high shot that looks good but goes offline! :wave:

Anyway, this constant badgering and lack of etiquette continued all day long. Not only did he take a really long crap/dump at the turn, but he stepped in my line, didn't pull the pin, kept asking about the rules, kept hitting extra balls off the tee before I could even hit my tee shot, kept asking for swing advice, complained about his bad shots, hit out of turn, and kept making me take the cart to look for the extra balls he hit all over the course! Needless to say all of this agitation, coupled with the slow play, just made it very difficult to enjoy. :cheesy: He kept mentioning that one of the guys in his group was a good player who usually shoots in the 90's! :D

Amazingly, I managed to shoot 78 and avoid strangling him too! Nice to know that my Pimped by Carl clubs work very well. Although I wished I had stayed home, it was a good score under the circumstances. I couldn't wait to get off the 18th green and leave. What a difference 5 minutes would have made! Sorry to vent here fellas, but I figured you guys would understand what this was like. Truthfully, this was one of the very few bad experiences I have had playing at the muni's. Hal seemed like a nice enough guy, but he was also a huge pain in the Word not allowed. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. :D

:drinks: :cheesy: :wave: Damn Tony...sorry but thanks for the laugh! I needed it! Sorry if your pain was my pleasure. After meeting you the other day...I can actually picture you going through that hell. This is exactly the reason I'll argue with the cart guys if they want to pair me and Russ up with anyone. Once I was a New Ewa and they wanted to pair my Dad up with this guy who I saw on the putting green. Just from watching him putt I knew he was awful. I told them no..and that when I called for the time they said they would let us play two and the course wasn't backed up so I wasn't about to play with anyone else but my Dad. I gave the guy a few "stink" looks...the kind I use at work :) and he sent us out.

Anways.....you've got way too much patience. I would have unstrapped by bag after his first two tee shots and walked the darn course. Either that....payed the guys on the 2nd tee to let me join them! :D Then there's always the walk off on the 3rd hole to the driving range! :smilie_titty:

On a good note.....at least your pimped clubs worked great. Now you can invest in some hot pink Iomics! :D

Tony, job well done (78) considering the circumstances. Maybe today was karma catching up to you...y'know something bad u did a long time ago that finally bit you in the azz today. Aah, just kidding buddy. :king: You are too kind, as I most likely would've done something to him :drinks: :D :cheesy: :wave: :smilie_titty: that would have got my muni privleges revoked. :smilie_titty:

In all, thanks for the good chuckle :) Hopefully, one day you'll look back at this fiasco and have a good laugh yourself. :D

Thanks guys! It was a long and painful day! As Reid said, the sticks do work great! And, I did get to golf today. Other than that, it was an exercise in restraint and patience. I'm glad that my misery could bring a chuckle to your day! :drinks:

Okay Reid, I guess 28 is out of line, so I'll settle for 22!

Carl, You Da Man! :) My sticks worked great. Hit some nice drives with the 905r. Irons were much more consistent and I also think they were a hair longer too. Wedges were awesome (again) and the Betti dropped a few birdie putts too. All in all, TBC has been the sh*t for me. :D Nice to run into an old friend who got skills! :D

Next time something like this happens, I am going to start speaking Swahili and doing some kind of African tribal dance! If that doesn't work, I am going to call a friend on my cel phone and talk to them for the entire round! If all else fails, I am gonna have to resort to farting everytime he starts his downswing! :wave: :cheesy:

Next time something like this happens, I am going to start speaking Swahili and doing some kind of African tribal dance! If that doesn't work, I am going to call a friend on my cel phone and talk to them for the entire round! If all else fails, I am gonna have to resort to farting everytime he starts his downswing! :D :drinks:

:cheesy: Tony, you're killing me here! Damn..guys..we've got to put something together. These stories are so much more enjoyable after meeting a guy and being able to picuture it happening. :wave:

You guys are crazy, if you break 80 consistently and get 22 strokes, I think I get to have 30 strokes, 5 heart attacks, and a lobotomy :drinks: . The other week I shot 84 at Olomana and was happy because I actually struck the ball well.

Although, I do agree an outing would be fun.

And Tony, good self-restraint on not taking your wedge and "waggling" it someplace where the sun don't shine :cheesy:

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

:cheesy: Tony, you're killing me here! Damn..guys..we've got to put something together. These stories are so much more enjoyable after meeting a guy and being able to picuture it happening. :wave:

Yeah, an outing would be fun. I will probably shoot 95, because I will be laughing so hard that I won't be able to hit the ball! :D

You guys are crazy, if you break 80 consistently and get 22 strokes, I think I get to have 30 strokes, 5 heart attacks, and a lobotomy :drinks: . The other week I shot 84 at Olomana and was happy because I actually struck the ball well.

You do realize that my high round for the year is 98 or 99 don't you? And yes, I was actually trying to play well! :smilie_titty: This was club play and I got my Word not allowed handed to me! But of course, this was before being Pimped by Carl! :smilie_titty:

And Tony, good self-restraint on not taking your wedge and "waggling" it someplace where the sun don't shine :)

Rick, I felt like Phil Jackson! I was trying to be the Zen Master! :D Ohhhhmmmmmmmmmmm!

I was out at Hickam/Mamala Bay today with pm hacker, 808golfer and another friend. Course looked in great shape. Although some of the greens were a little rough, the majority were in their usual manicured condition.

We started off on the back nine and my start and finish were the same. Two wonderful lousy chip/3 putt doubles. I sucked it up all day. Probably my only saving grace was that my driver got back on track and some of my mid irons were pretty good. One thing I know I have to do next time is get some sleep before I go out at 7am for golf. Damn insomnia's kicking my butt. :pimp: And yes Carl...I know...a shot of chilled Crown might have done me good. :)

I was out at Hickam/Mamala Bay today with pm hacker, 808golfer and another friend. Course looked in great shape. Although some of the greens were a little rough, the majority were in their usual manicured condition.

We started off on the back nine and my start and finish were the same. Two wonderful lousy chip/3 putt doubles. I sucked it up all day. Probably my only saving grace was that my driver got back on track and some of my mid irons were pretty good. One thing I know I have to do next time is get some sleep before I go out at 7am for golf. Damn insomnia's kicking my butt. :smilie_titty: And yes Carl...I know...a shot of chilled Crown might have done me good. :pimp:

Yes, you need some sleep! Good thing you were driving a golf cart and not a automobile! :smilie_titty: At least the golf carts couldn't go fast! hee hee

Hmmmmm....missed my ace by THAT much! LOL :)

We started off on the back nine and my start and finish were the same. Two wonderful lousy chip/3 putt doubles. I sucked it up all day. Probably my only saving grace was that my driver got back on track and some of my mid irons were pretty good. One thing I know I have to do next time is get some sleep before I go out at 7am for golf. Damn insomnia's kicking my butt. :pimp: And yes Carl...I know...a shot of chilled Crown might have done me good. :)

Brah, u need to sleep before we play. If u no can sleep, i kona half to go ova to yo house and kick u in da kolu's.

On another note, the course was in pretty "shaka" shape today. I personally know that Navy-Marine will be in better shape when we play next friday. In all, everyone had fun and shot decent scores...nothing to brag nor sulk about.

We started off on the back nine and my start and finish were the same. Two wonderful lousy chip/3 putt doubles. I sucked it up all day. Probably my only saving grace was that my driver got back on track and some of my mid irons were pretty good. One thing I know I have to do next time is get some sleep before I go out at 7am for golf. Damn insomnia's kicking my butt. :smilie_titty: And yes Carl...I know...a shot of chilled Crown might have done me good. :smilie_titty:

Yes, you need some sleep! Good thing you were driving a golf cart and not a automobile! :smilie_titty: At least the golf carts couldn't go fast! hee hee

Damn, that shot was sooooooo close to an ace :pimp: One more foot and we all could've had a self-imposed "holiday". :smilie_titty:

We started off on the back nine and my start and finish were the same. Two wonderful lousy chip/3 putt doubles. I sucked it up all day. Probably my only saving grace was that my driver got back on track and some of my mid irons were pretty good. One thing I know I have to do next time is get some sleep before I go out at 7am for golf. Damn insomnia's kicking my butt. :smilie_titty: And yes Carl...I know...a shot of chilled Crown might have done me good. :smilie_titty:

Damn, that shot was sooooooo close to an ace :pimp: One more foot and we all could've had a self-imposed "holiday". :smilie_titty:

Sean....I swear before the end of the year you will have an ace. Last week's one was pretty darn close when you knocked it off the pin....but that was more like a lucky worm burner. Today's shot had some style to it! Well done......Daniel San! :smilie_titty:

you guys sound like you have way too much fun. i really do need to get out and play more....i did get out to makalena this week and walked 9. needless to say for an easy course i stunk it up. i need to practice more, im slacking.

Dwight if you can stand the occasional regular trash talk....on almost every shot good or bad.... the occasional shank into the golf cart you're sitting in.....hehehe happened today and I was the recipient of it. :smilie_titty: ...sneezing...Russ does it about twenty times a round.....and of course there's the usual farts...whistles and giggles....then you'll fit right in with our group. :pimp: We really go out there to have a good time and forget about work for awhile. Kind of like a bar without the booze! :)

you guys sound like you have way too much fun. i really do need to get out and play more....i did get out to makalena this week and walked 9. needless to say for an easy course i stunk it up. i need to practice more, im slacking.

Dwight if you can stand the occasional regular trash talk....on almost every shot good or bad.... the occasional shank into the golf cart you're sitting in.....hehehe happened today and I was the recipient of it. :smilie_titty: ...sneezing...Russ does it about twenty times a round.....and of course there's the usual farts...whistles and giggles....then you'll fit right in with our group. :pimp: We really go out there to have a good time and forget about work for awhile. Kind of like a bar without the booze! :)

That sounds just about right pitbull! We do just go out to have some fun and forget about work, buuuuuutttttttt....you forgot to mention the rare throwing of the club! :smilie_titty::smilie_titty: