2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hawaii GolfWRX'ers where did you play?

pitbull808

35$ for fazio course was well worth it. only the front side had been aerated and wasnt that bad from what i have seen at someplaces in the past! the backside was nice and well maintained, the rough had been cut recently too, which made approaches from the rough a little easier than before. the greens were alright and lightning fast on the back and even with the sand on the front it was still fast! my friend and i managed to keep it in the 80's with alot of struggles on the greens. we each had our share of 3 putts. and like always on the north shore it was reallllyyy windy. i also picked up a nice tan/burn on my face also. :idhitit: but for 35$ it was a deal, i reccomend it if they still have the discount next week. and the palmer course is only 50$.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwight, thanks for the info!! Maybe, our weekly foursome (pitbull808, 808golfer and a co-worker) will have to make the trek over to the north shore and play our friday round over there. I always love the set-up at either the Palmer or Fazio Courses as they are very well maintained. If they were alot closer to home I'd be there every week :idhitit:

i gave in and played hawaii country club again today......i must say though, it got alot better than the last time i was there! the greens has improved alot since the last time!! i figured i try there because i was by myself today and its not that crowded over there. my friend bailed on me to watch football! there was at least 8 or 9 strokes i could have made up today!! missed a few 4-5 footers, burned a few edges and lipped out one or two, and hit a few OB. for a relatively easy course i shot a 84 (40/44), and if i hadnt messed up so much it would have been 70's really easy!! considering i only hit 4/18 gir's!! it sucks cause i mess up so much and it always costs me rounds in the 70's. :cheesy:

Well....I was going to hit the range today but just didn't feel like it so I figured since Dwight said they got better, I'd take a chance over at Hawaii Country Club...aka Old Kunia. Dwight...I know why you missed those 4-5 footers...the greens sucked! I will admit from afar..like the clubhouse, the 1st hole green looked green and playable. Up close bumpy city. They really need to roll the greens. My first putt from 4' away hopped right and I ended up with a Par. After that, I was getting more of that bump/hop action. Managed just one birdie on the front side. Luckily Stevie Wonder could have made it from a foot away bumps and all.

The back nine was pretty steady till the last hole. After waiting for what seemed like forever for the green to clear, I topped my ball in the ditch. Then managed to hit it short and watch it roll back down the hill towards me. Then I did it again :D Finally got it on the side of the green and chipped and putt for a smoooth masterful double. :D Ended up +3 for the day. Nothing great considering the course is so short. Almost to the level of being an Executive course even after I tried stretching out some of the tee boxes.

Only good thing is I think I finally got my driver sort of sorted out. It's still fading on me but at least it's doing it consistently for me to play with.

Well....I was going to hit the range today but just didn't feel like it so I figured since Dwight said they got better, I'd take a chance over at Hawaii Country Club...aka Old Kunia. Dwight...I know why you missed those 4-5 footers...the greens sucked! I will admit from afar..like the clubhouse, the 1st hole green looked green and playable. Up close bumpy city. They really need to roll the greens. My first putt from 4' away hopped right and I ended up with a Par. After that, I was getting more of that bump/hop action. Managed just one birdie on the front side. Luckily Stevie Wonder could have made it from a foot away bumps and all.

The back nine was pretty steady till the last hole. After waiting for what seemed like forever for the green to clear, I topped my ball in the ditch. Then managed to hit it short and watch it roll back down the hill towards me. Then I did it again :cheesy: Finally got it on the side of the green and chipped and putt for a smoooth masterful double. :D Ended up +3 for the day. Nothing great considering the course is so short. Almost to the level of being an Executive course even after I tried stretching out some of the tee boxes.

Only good thing is I think I finally got my driver sort of sorted out. It's still fading on me but at least it's doing it consistently for me to play with.

:D maybe it just seemed better to me because everything got greener!! but i do have to agree that they need to put more time into their greens, its a toss up between there and bay view for the worst greens to play on! but you really do get what you pay for there, for 20$ the muni's are in much better condition.

Dwight...I guess I have to be thankful that I could just drive to the course, jump in a cart and I was on the first tee with no wait and without having to play with anyone. Can't do that at many muni's. Probably could have been a lot faster if the way was clear but a 3 hour round was a pretty good time and still able to beat most of the traffic coming back into town. :cheesy:

played west loch today. my advice is dont go there anytime soon. :cheesy: place is really dried out, greens are dying a bit and is really inconsistent. it seems like they just cut the greens and is really uneven. i actually think it might be worse than hawaii country club! give it awhile before anybody goes there.

next play day will be monday, although im not sure where we will be going next. i know for a fact it will be a better course!

Played out at Waikele this morning..first group out. One thing that really stuck out immediately."Who's the idiot that thought it was a good idea to put Armour All on the seats and steering wheel of the cart!!!!!" First of all, my butt sliding around the seat was no fun, but trying to grip a club with that crap on your hands and glove is a beatchhhh! :D

Okay..now the course. Started off with a masterful double on the first. Followed it up with a bogey on the 2nd hole. Negative thoughts were flying in my head already after two holes. Told myself to just swing the damn club and went birdie, birdie. Suddenly good feelings were going through me and I thought things were back on normal track. I was wrong. :D :cheesy: I ended up shooting a lousy 80 by finishing like I started with a double. :D I must say the back side played pretty tough with all the shots into the wind. Hitting 4 irons for 2nd shots wasn't something I'm used to doing.

I didn't find the greens to break as much as Tony said. Nor as fast as a friend who played there last week told me. If anything, I found them to be extremely firm and grainy. I couldn't understand how my wedges were bouncing so high on the greens and rolling off the back. I must have overshot about three greens even after making my approaches with a 52*. I thought the greens were a bit bumpy especially on the short putts. And very slow into the grain. I also was surprised how much weeds they had on the course. I figured since they were closed so long, they should have at least got a handle on the nut grass that was all around the sides of the green.

I think in about six months, the greens will be better and the paspalum will tighten up a for a smoother surface. Until then, I can't see a repeat visit to Waikele in my future.

Played out at Waikele this morning..first group out. One thing that really stuck out immediately."Who's the idiot that thought it was a good idea to put Armour All on the seats and steering wheel of the cart!!!!!" First of all, my butt sliding around the seat was no fun, but trying to grip a club with that crap on your hands and glove is a beatchhhh! :D

Okay..now the course. Started off with a masterful double on the first. Followed it up with a bogey on the 2nd hole. Negative thoughts were flying in my head already after two holes. Told myself to just swing the damn club and went birdie, birdie. Suddenly good feelings were going through me and I thought things were back on normal track. I was wrong. :D :cheesy: I ended up shooting a lousy 80 by finishing like I started with a double. :D I must say the back side played pretty tough with all the shots into the wind. Hitting 4 irons for 2nd shots wasn't something I'm used to doing.

I didn't find the greens to break as much as Tony said. Nor as fast as a friend who played there last week told me. If anything, I found them to be extremely firm and grainy. I couldn't understand how my wedges were bouncing so high on the greens and rolling off the back. I must have overshot about three greens even after making my approaches with a 52*. I thought the greens were a bit bumpy especially on the short putts. And very slow into the grain. I also was surprised how much weeds they had on the course. I figured since they were closed so long, they should have at least got a handle on the nut grass that was all around the sides of the green.

I think in about six months, the greens will be better and the paspalum will tighten up a for a smoother surface. Until then, I can't see a repeat visit to Waikele in my future.

I take it that the i-rod didn't work for you. huh? well i guess i'll be seeing you later???????????

I take it that the i-rod didn't work for you. huh? well i guess i'll be seeing you later???????????

On the contrary...l. It worked great. Just stiff enough to not feel any torque nor need to swing out of my shoes. It got me to the edge of two par 5's....too bad I couldn't convert the wedges for birdies, but all in all, I loved how it felt. Much more smoother then the Fuji 904hb I had in my F-UT.

Either which way though...you'll be seeing me soon over something else in my bag. After all....it's always something.....can't be me. :cheesy:

Yeah, damn that person who put Armor All on the golf carts. Couldn't find the right handle on my clubs all day long with that c-rap on my hands. :cheesy:

Like Reid said, the greens were so firm that it wouldn't even hold a high 60* wedge shot. I walked away very disappointed with conditions of the greens. I'll maybe make a repeat visit after a year of if ever.

Yeah, damn that person who put Armor All on the golf carts. Couldn't find the right handle on my clubs all day long with that c-rap o my hands. :cheesy:

Like Reid said, the greens were so firm that it wouldn't even hold a high 60* wedge shot. I walked away very disappointed with conditions of the greens. I'll maybe make a repeat visit after a year of if ever.

have you ever tried a low 57* or 58* with alot of spin instead of a high flop shot. a few of my golfing friends

like shingo showed me that shot. un real.........

Yeah, damn that person who put Armor All on the golf carts. Couldn't find the right handle on my clubs all day long with that c-rap o my hands. :cheesy:

have you ever tried a low 57* or 58* with alot of spin instead of a high flop shot. a few of my golfing friends

like shingo showed me that shot. un real.........

You're gonna have to show me that shot tomorrow when I stop by :D

it sounds like waikele was dissapointing!! i'll wait on going there again....

Yep, I think we were probably better off going to Kunia (HCC) instead.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that but it was a great disappointment. I had thought they would have been much better since they were closed for so long. I think our money would have been better spent at New Ewa Beach GC though.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that but it was a great disappointment. I had thought they would have been much better since they were closed for so long. I think our money would have been better spent at New Ewa Beach GC though.

well you should know how long it take for greens to mature. to get them perfect, you're probably talking years.

well you should know how long it take for greens to mature. to get them perfect, you're probably talking years.

Exactly. I was talking to a few friends today who mentioned how it takes Paspalum time to mature and tighten up. One asked me if Waikele's greens were showing weird breaks, bumpy surfaces and problems with holding the balls. I told him yeah...and he said that's what it's going to be for awhile since it's so young.

ok so i figured how bad could it be at waikele. so my friend talked me into going with them today. and i left feeling i wasted my 58$!!! :cheesy: the greens looked pretty good, that is until you try to make a shot stay on there or putt!! i was rolling over greens left and right with chip shots that would normally check, shooting 5 feet past the hole on putts that i thought would play a little slower and there was no or little break to most putts, even though they seemed to break. i should have known what to expect from you guys, but i was stubborn. it will never happen again. :D i had a frustrating day to say the least. only thing that seemed to work was my driver and three wood. sad , sad day for me........im going to sleep.....

ok so i figured how bad could it be at waikele. so my friend talked me into going with them today. and i left feeling i wasted my 58$!!! :cheesy: the greens looked pretty good, that is until you try to make a shot stay on there or putt!! i was rolling over greens left and right with chip shots that would normally check, shooting 5 feet past the hole on putts that i thought would play a little slower and there was no or little break to most putts, even though they seemed to break. i should have known what to expect from you guys, but i was stubborn. it will never happen again. :D i had a frustrating day to say the least. only thing that seemed to work was my driver and three wood. sad , sad day for me........im going to sleep.....

:D Awww...poor guy...must be all tuckered out having to play a MORNING round for once! :D

Dwight...wasn't that sickening watching chips and wedge's into the green take a huge hop and run over??!! I was standing on the green when Russ hit a 60* in from about 75 yards away..the ball must have hopped about three feet in the air into the upslope before running over the backside.

:cheesy: Awww...poor guy...must be all tuckered out having to play a MORNING round for once! :D

Dwight...wasn't that sickening watching chips and wedge's into the green take a huge hop and run over??!! I was standing on the green when Russ hit a 60* in from about 75 yards away..the ball must have hopped about three feet in the air into the upslope before running over the backside.

:D hehe, yes morning rounds take alot out of me! but i couldnt sleep, too much football to watch!!

the sound that the ball made when it hit the greens was solid! i was standing on some greens when my friends were hitting into them, it sounded like it was landing on hard dirt with a thin layer of grass, and then bounced and rolled off the back. the balls kept rolling around all day long, i never got used to them....i do hope it gets better there....

Well...what do you do when you've got two new sticks in your bag, don't want to go to the range and you've got no starting time? Drive to lousy Hawaii CC aka Kunia and hop in a cart and head to the first tee.

Yup...punished myself by playing this lousy place again. I really wanted to test out my R7 425 and new Vokey and I knew I wouldn't get the true test on a range. I figured hitting a couple of tee shots and hopefully be close enough to pop wedges to the green would be fine at Kunia.

The R7 and Vokey worked pretty good for a first round test. The wedge really stood out. I got it to hop and back up on the lousy Kunia greens. Really shocked me. On the 9th hole, my tee shot was to the right of the right trap. I popped the Vokey right over the trap at the pin and it checked a foot away. I figured for sure it would run on those crappy greens but it didn't.

Finished the front nine in an hour/ten minutes after passing three groups. The back nine was another story. Took a little over two and a half hours for me to finish even after driving backwards and playing two holes over again. There was a foursome four groups ahead that wasn't letting any of the singles in front of me through. I was ready to pop a few drives at them from across another hole because they were being such dikheads. :D Anyways...played alright nothing outstanding just steady par golf.

:D no matter how crappy we say it is we always seem to find our way back to HCC. i went there on monday. :crazy: i think the greens got softer due to the little extra rain we have been getting. it was raining for the first few holes when i was there. rain golf is always interesting! and dosent it always seem like there always is group of slow people who dont let anybody pass! anyways, glad to hear you liked your new clubs! but then again i dont know anybody who dosent like new clubs! :cheesy:

• 3 weeks later...

WoW...zero post here in a long time! Am I the only one who hasn't been able to get out to a course or even a range in ages??? I know most of the courses have been getting aerated but didn't anyone have some rest and relaxation?? Or at least some frustration on the course? :(

havent been playing much lately. i guess thats what work does! :) well i have played at makalena a few times in the late afternoon. walked it and played with various different types of people. its very relaxing in the late afternoons. didnt really keep score the last few times but i think i did pretty decent. yesterday i finished 17 holes!! for 6 bucks it was great! i remember having about 10 pars and a birdie. i stayed out of trouble for most of the day, but two holes turned into practice holes with very bad tee shots!! :( i must say that makalena is getting alot better, not quite there yet. the greens have gotten more even and filled in, and putts have decents chances of going where they are supposed to. fairways still have a good amount of dirt though. just kick em to a grassy spot! i still refuse to hit my clubs outta hard dirt! :)

I don't know if you could call it "playing" golf, but did get out to Ala Wai earlier this week, my first 18 holes since getting hurt a couple months ago. And it took a smooth 89 to get around.

After 4 jacking the first green for a quad :( , the reason I'm looking for a new driver can be found in the fact I hit 4 drives OB and only gave myself 1 chance to hit the par-5's in 2, which led to 0 birdies for the first time in forever. I just couldn't putt to save my life and couldn't put the ball in the fairway either.

For some reason though, Ala Wai has my number out of all the muni courses. I think it's the only one where I haven't broken 80. So maybe my 89 was good. Nah, an 89 is never good :) .

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

I don't know if you could call it "playing" golf, but did get out to Ala Wai earlier this week, my first 18 holes since getting hurt a couple months ago. And it took a smooth 89 to get around.

After 4 jacking the first green for a quad :( , the reason I'm looking for a new driver can be found in the fact I hit 4 drives OB and only gave myself 1 chance to hit the par-5's in 2, which led to 0 birdies for the first time in forever. I just couldn't putt to save my life and couldn't put the ball in the fairway either.

For some reason though, Ala Wai has my number out of all the muni courses. I think it's the only one where I haven't broken 80. So maybe my 89 was good. Nah, an 89 is never good :) .

well, i wouldn't blame yourself entirely, the greens just got a work over so there is a million holes and sand.

no one can shoot good there now. anyway, keep trying it'll come back. just use the force. :)

Remember, 89 beats 90!

well, i wouldn't blame yourself entirely, the greens just got a work over so there is a million holes and sand.

no one can shoot good there now. anyway, keep trying it'll come back. just use the force. :cheesy:

The force? Why didn't I think of that? All this time I have been using my credit card to work on my game! :) I guess I don't feel so bad about how I played this past week (see below).

As for Ala Wai, I played there on Tuesday right after they aerated the greens and yesterday too. I have been struggling with my driver lately and I like playing Ala WAi to practice and work on certain parts of my game rather than go low. Tuesday was an interesting round. I made 4 birdies and still managed to shoot a disappointing 81! I had too many OBs. Thursday was a different story. The greens had less sand on them and looked better, but they were actually worse. The bumps really affected my putts, especially near the hole. The sad tale is that I had 7 putts for birdie. The longest was from 27-28ft and I only made one of them! I three putted 3 of them as well. My par putts were not bad, just got affected by bumps as they lost speed at the hole. Anyway, I ended up bogeying 18 for an 80. But for 12 bucks a round, it was better than just hitting balls.

Ahhh..nice to see some of you got out to the courses....even with all the aeration going on pretty much everywhere. There's a lot of discounts to be had right now. I've heard Mililani cut it's rates. I think even Luana did so too because of the work on the greens.

Be happy you guys have time to golf....I need to stay away from golf shops and get on a course too! :(

Yeah, Miliani and Olomana has rates of about $30 for every monday, which works for me because starting next week I have Mondays off :( Which means golf every Monday for me from here on out.

A little off topic, but which course has the best practice facility in your opinions. I'm talking combination, range and short game area. I usually go to Mililani because no one goes there, but the practice bunker is crap and you can't call those practice greens. Just flags stuck in light rough.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0