2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Hawaii GolfWRX'ers where did you play?

pitbull808

So what Rick...how was it at Ko Olina. It's been ages since I played there. Probably the last time was after the Fields last year. I really need to get back out there. At least to get another free cup! :o

It was really fun, except for the wind. Never knew I could hit a knockdown pitching wedge 50 yards. Now if only I wasn't 100 yards from the green it would've been a good shot :drinks:.

Greens weren't fast yet, rough was still easy except in a few places. I could see how low scores could be had this week for the LPGA players.

Tad and Stephanie Kono were playing 2 groups ahead of me, didn't really get to see their bags or anything though. I was surprised how many LPGA players were already there practicing. Looks like a few who were checking it out for Monday Qualifying maybe? Or those who missed the cut this past week. I didn't get a chance to look in any bags though.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a chance to play Hilo Country Club aka Muni this past weekend. The greens were half way decent compared to what they normally have. Anyone in here have a chance to play Kukio yet?

Hooooa....Hilo Muni...I haven't played there in over 25 years! ;) If I remember right, it was always in "okay" shape. Nothing super top notch but always playable.

Never have been to Kukio yet but have heard some good things about it.

Tracy, Jose, and myself played Pearl Country Club the other day and the course is in terrible shape. Actually, it's just the greens that are really trashed. Every green on the back nine was covered in sand, and not just aerated sandy, but in some areas completely covered. Tracy said that one of the workers said that they were having a mold problem. I'd avoid that course until they fix the greens. If you want to see what I'm talking about, just go look at their practice green.

Taylormade M2 9.5* Graphite Design GP 6s
Taylormade M2 15* Graphite Design DJ 7x
Taylormade M1 17* and 21* Graphite Design Tour AD-GT 85s
Miura PP-9003 5-PW Nippon Ns Pro Modus 3 120 stiff
Titleist forged Vokey 50, 54, 58 wedges Nippon Ns Pro Modus 120
Scotty Cameron 009 beached 350 gram

Tracy, Jose, and myself played Pearl Country Club the other day and the course is in terrible shape. Actually, it's just the greens that are really trashed. Every green on the back nine was covered in sand, and not just aerated sandy, but in some areas completely covered. Tracy said that one of the workers said that they were having a mold problem. I'd avoid that course until they fix the greens. If you want to see what I'm talking about, just go look at their practice green.

i heard that they burned the greens! ;) the workers cut the grass too short and fertilized too much, and that they had to redo the entire backside greens again because the grass died. but, thats just what i heard.

Oh, David told my dad that some dumbazz maintenance worker sprayed some kind poison thinking it was fertilizer and completely killed the greens on the back 9. The mold excuse is just a cover for the f-up. Did they discount the green fees because of that?

i heard that they burned the greens! ;) the workers cut the grass too short and fertilized too much, and that they had to redo the entire backside greens again because the grass died. but, thats just what i heard.

I wouldn't doubt some of the problems were developed prepping it for the Pearl Open. Then with the rains they probably got a fungus problem with the grass being so short. Too bad..that place can be an awesome course. I miss the days when I worked there and played for free. :)

As far as a discount, it was still $45 dollars to play on a weekday. Is that normal?

The greens on the back nine were a funny shade of green from what I could see through the sand. I also heard a rumor that this was caused by a disgruntled former employee.

Taylormade M2 9.5* Graphite Design GP 6s
Taylormade M2 15* Graphite Design DJ 7x
Taylormade M1 17* and 21* Graphite Design Tour AD-GT 85s
Miura PP-9003 5-PW Nippon Ns Pro Modus 3 120 stiff
Titleist forged Vokey 50, 54, 58 wedges Nippon Ns Pro Modus 120
Scotty Cameron 009 beached 350 gram

As far as a discount, it was still $45 dollars to play on a weekday. Is that normal?

The greens on the back nine were a funny shade of green from what I could see through the sand. I also heard a rumor that this was caused by a disgruntled former employee.

$45? OMG, that's the normal green fee. You guys should have been entitles to a discount, as I would've complained.

My dad told me that David was pretty pissed regarding the green situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Darn...I thought I was the injured guy...doesn't anyone play here in Hawaii??? :cheesy:

Anyways....I finally got a round in today after a heckuva long break. My last official round was the Hawaii Outing. Some of you might know my GF's been taking lessons. She was getting anxious to get back on the course and I figured Bay View would be a pretty simple test to not get her too discourage. LOL...also figured it would be an easy test for me since I haven't been swinging much at all.

Fee's were $20 for each of us along with the cart. We hopped right on the course with no wait. Surprisingly the course did have a few groups spread throughout. The green were pretty awful. It appeared that they either were spiked, aerated or just bald. The two nicest greens...if you could call them nice were the 9th and 18th. I guess since those are the two most visible greens from the starters area, they tried to make them decent looking. At least those had grass througout the whole green...but it was like putitng on the fairway of other premium courses.

Anyways....it was a nice short round. I used my pw for about thirteen of the holes. The longer Par 4's were easily played with my fUT. I managed to shoot +5 with one birdie on the 18th. Putting really sucked but I blame it on the greens. There was pretty much no way to make a one putt without a good bounce. That's what made my birdie so funny because I had given up actually trying to make a putt and just slapped at the ball with one hand from about six feet away and it dropped. :D

My GF did pretty well too. One of the holes a Par 4 with a big pond in the front had me worried. She had been using a new Srixon Zur that I had tossed to her the hole before. I told her to switch to a lousy ball but she told me she wanted to use a good ball to give her a better chance to make it over. She then gave me the "are you in love with your ball or me??" :beach: Needless to say she hit it and it went in the water. Tough luck though, she cleared the water, hit the cement in the back of the pond, it deflected about seventy feet straight in the air and fell in the water. I then tossed her another Zur to try again...and YES...she made it easily with that one! Thank goodnes..I only had one Zur left. :cheesy: She made two pars and beat her score from last year when I took her out there.

She's got a long way to go till I can take her on the big courses but then again....I remember as a 10 year old shooting even par out there. :cheesy:

Congrats on getting back out Reid. BayView is a good practice course for your short irons. But I don't know if you can call them greens. Next step is a big boy round at a real course :D

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

Thanks guys. Yeah..it's pretty much a chip and putt for me. Even from the "blue" tees. :cheesy:

And Tony...even if I wasn't playing..I still managed to go through 3 drivers, a few putters. :D

Anyways...the break did me good. Still a bit sore on the right side but I've got a trunkload of clubs to take over to Roots this afternoon. :beach:

Thanks guys. Yeah..it's pretty much a chip and putt for me. Even from the "blue" tees. :cheesy:

And Tony...even if I wasn't playing..I still managed to go through 3 drivers, a few putters. :cheesy:

Reid, you are my idol! :D

Anyways...the break did me good. Still a bit sore on the right side but I've got a trunkload of clubs to take over to Roots this afternoon. :cheesy:

I am surprised I didn't see you there! :beach: I had few things to trade in as well. Let's say that something "followed me home" :cheesy:

• 3 weeks later...

Well...since my buddies Sean and Russ haven't posted this yet, I'll start it. We all flew up this morning to Kona to play golf at Hapuna...eat and eat and fly back this evening. We should have thrown one more "eat" in there and skipped the golf. The wind was incredibly fierce. In all my life of golfing, I have NEVER played in wind like that. I swear it was blowing a CONTINUOUS 40mph. This was no gust...continuous battering for 18 holes. To give you and example of how strong the wind was playing, on a 145yard Par 3, I hit a knockdown 6 iron and ended up fifteen yards short in a bunker. I hit a driver into the wind twice and the yardage on my skycaddie showed it to be 192 and 201yards. With the wind and with my skycaddie to check the yards, I hit a 3 wood off the tee 302 yards and my driver 353 yards. There is no way I can hit it that far without the wind blowing harder then you can imagine. I even lost my new..about five rounds in Nike hat. I had turned it around after about the fourth hole and I believe it was the twelfth hole while I was standing on the tee, the wind just took my hat and the last I saw was it flying about six feet in the air over the front of the tee box. We tried to find it but were unsuccessful.

I took pics of the whole round that I'll post up in the General Golf Style section probably tomorrow evening. Make sure you check out the coconut trees, the grass along the fairways and the pins that were bending to about 9-10 o'clock. It was pure torture for 18 holes. There was no sense in reading greens because the wind would cause the ball to break uphill, and act like a putting machine if you were below the cup because you could hit it inches from the cup only to have it return and blow right past you off the green. I didn't even bother marking my ball on the green because once I picked it up, it was nearly impossible to put it back down and have it stay there. The simple act of teeing up the ball was tough because again, it was almost impossible to keep it on there. Russ took a swing at his ball off the tee and I swear he must have been about an inch from the ball on his downswing when it fell off the tee. He still managed to clip the ball but the shot was far from pretty.

After we finished playing...it was such a beautiful feeling. Not from shooting a good round but for finally be able to leave the torture! Make sure you guys check out the pics this weekend! ;)

I don't know what you're talking about. 40 mph is fun...I also like to poke myself in the eye with hot skewers. Seriously, I would borderline want to walk off the course with it blowing like that. The worst weather I played in was at Turtle Bay last November, it was raining and windy with gusts around 30mph, the rain was horizontal. I hit one tee shot, a gust hit it and it took almost a 90* right hand turn. Ridiculous. I hope you guys had some good drinks with the eat, eat, eat.

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

I recently had the opportunity to play a course called the Legacy in AZ. It was blowing around 40-50 most of the day. It was so bad that there was a "brown out" which basically is a huge sand storm that is severe enough to block the sun out. So besides hitting my 5 iron 120 yard and eating sand all day, the round was awesome! ;)

Hey Rok I meant 9 iron so please double check! Thx.

Joey...I hope you had some goggles to go with the sandstorm! :clapping:

Rick...like Russ said..."If we hadn't paid $70 to get tortured..we'd have left after 9 holes!" I swear when I lay in bed last night I could still feel my body moving from the wind and I could still hear the roar of it! ;) I really have got to get those pics up this evening. I think I've got a shot of the coconut trees...and the way the leaves were going all in one direction was nuts!

I recently had the opportunity to play a course called the Legacy in AZ. It was blowing around 40-50 most of the day. It was so bad that there was a "brown out" which basically is a huge sand storm that is severe enough to block the sun out. So besides hitting my 5 iron 120 yard and eating sand all day, the round was awesome! ;)

Hey Rok I meant 9 iron so please double check! Thx.

Joey don't say that! I don't know how I'll get through work wondering if I have my 9 :clapping:

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

• 2 weeks later...

So I have the day off tomorrow and was supposed to do stuff, but now I'm free to play golf :drinks:. So I'm going to be in the Mililani area, but I know the greens are still getting better. Anyone know how Waikele's been lately? Do you think Leilehua would be tough to walk on as a single at around 10ish? I know they're usually pretty packed up.

Maybe I could try West Loch or Ewa Villages, it's been a while since I've played there. I'm just thinking out loud, anyone have other suggestions?

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

So I ended up playing at Ala Wai and wound up shooting a smooth 84, that included a 9 on the sixth hole. I don't know how that happened. I played ok and was surprised my legs felt ok even though it was the first time I walked 18 holes in months. Although, I couldn't get any birdie putts to drop and I had a 9 and 2 doubles, I'll take the 84. I still haven't broken 80 this year, but I guess playing once or twice a month and hitting balls once a week isn't helping things either.

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

So I ended up playing at Ala Wai and wound up shooting a smooth 84, that included a 9 on the sixth hole. I don't know how that happened. I played ok and was surprised my legs felt ok even though it was the first time I walked 18 holes in months. Although, I couldn't get any birdie putts to drop and I had a 9 and 2 doubles, I'll take the 84. I still haven't broken 80 this year, but I guess playing once or twice a month and hitting balls once a week isn't helping things either.

Darn Rick, if it wasn't for the 9 on the sixth hole....easily a smooth 79. All you Hawaii guys gotta give me 1-2 strokes a hole the next time we have our outing. I've really been playing like s*%t :D the last 2 months. Yeah, when is our next outing anyway? What's the 411 Reid? Hint, hint, hint.... :drinks:

Yeah Reid, when is that next outing? I guess not until you have Carl change the shafts in your CB2's! :drinks:

BTW, nice round Rick. I think I am gonna need some strokes from you too! I haven't broken 80 this year either! I have been hitting the ball very well, but my scoring has sucked. I am glad that my next round is a scramble! I am the "designated driver", so I get to do what I do best...swing from my heels. I don't have to worry about fairways hit or playing position. My job is simply to hit it as far as I can and hope it stays on the course. Luckily New Ewa has a number of scoring opportunities. I expect a ridiculously low number to win. Last time, we shot 61 1/2 and finished like 13th. :D

Yeah Reid, when is that next outing? I guess not until you have Carl change the shafts in your CB2's! :drinks:

BTW, nice round Rick. I think I am gonna need some strokes from you too! I haven't broken 80 this year either! I have been hitting the ball very well, but my scoring has sucked. I am glad that my next round is a scramble! I am the "designated driver", so I get to do what I do best...swing from my heels. I don't have to worry about fairways hit or playing position. My job is simply to hit it as far as I can and hope it stays on the course. Luckily New Ewa has a number of scoring opportunities. I expect a ridiculously low number to win. Last time, we shot 61 1/2 and finished like 13th. :yes:

Tony...you got that pretty much right! I need clubs first before I can play or I'll be busting out some Callaway X-12's!

Tony...I'm the designated driver in my scramble next month too! You got to love just swinging out of your shoes on every hole! :D Funny..your score sounds like ours last year too. I think we finished 16th!

Yeah Reid, when is that next outing? I guess not until you have Carl change the shafts in your CB2's! :D

I expect a ridiculously low number to win. Last time, we shot 61 1/2 and finished like 13th. :yes:

OMG!! That's messed up. My group had a 61.3 in a tournament last year and we finished 62nd. The 1st place score was 46.9....bloody sandbaggers :drinks:

Yeah Reid, when is that next outing? I guess not until you have Carl change the shafts in your CB2's! :D

I expect a ridiculously low number to win. Last time, we shot 61 1/2 and finished like 13th. ;)

OMG!! That's messed up. My group had a 61.3 in a tournament last year and we finished 62nd. The 1st place score was 46.9....bloody sandbaggers :drinks:

I don't even want to know how someone gets 46.9. Did you let them make it out to the parking lot? :yes:

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

Yeah Reid, when is that next outing? I guess not until you have Carl change the shafts in your CB2's! :cheesy:

I expect a ridiculously low number to win. Last time, we shot 61 1/2 and finished like 13th. :o

OMG!! That's messed up. My group had a 61.3 in a tournament last year and we finished 62nd. The 1st place score was 46.9....bloody sandbaggers :bigwhack:

I don't even want to know how someone gets 46.9. Did you let them make it out to the parking lot? :cheesy:

hey i beat that score by myself once!! i shot a overall 45!! oh wait, i dont think tiger woods for playstation counts..... :rolleyes:

Yeah Reid, when is that next outing? I guess not until you have Carl change the shafts in your CB2's! :rolleyes:

I expect a ridiculously low number to win. Last time, we shot 61 1/2 and finished like 13th. :o

OMG!! That's messed up. My group had a 61.3 in a tournament last year and we finished 62nd. The 1st place score was 46.9....bloody sandbaggers :bigwhack:

I don't even want to know how someone gets 46.9. Did you let them make it out to the parking lot? :cheesy:

The year before they had a score of 48.6 :o I forgot to mention that this group consisted of a high ranking local politiican, a prominent high school football coach and a dude who has a +1 handicap. Now how the heck do they get that low of a score? Crooked bums!! I think everyone in our scramble group this year will be claiming the maximum handicap of 25 :cheesy: