Fighting a new battle.

Mastering golf is no longer my biggest challenge.
GolfWRX marshalls, members and guests -

I've really enjoyed reading the forums here over the last couple years, but typically don't post very often. However, news I received on Friday has me posting this. Following up on some abnormalities identified during my annual physical, the doctors at Mayo have found cancer that has reached into my bones. We still don't know the source and will be doing more tests this coming week. Once we have that narrowed down, we'll identify the appropriate treatment to beat this thing.

As I'm sure it is with many others in similar situations, this news came as a complete shock. No history in my family; relatively young (42); healthy; etc. Not exactly the news I was hoping for, especially with a loving wife and two boys (15 and 2) that I'm looking forward to growing old with. I'll be honest...I'm scared to death of the potential prognosis with this, but I've also stepped past that fear and am very much in a fighting mood ready to take action. I know I'm not the only one in the world fighting this war, but at the moment I'm being a little selfish and asking for as much support in my corner as I can get to help maintain my strength and postive attitude. I will beat this thing! I have way too much to do yet in this life that I fully plan on completing. Anyways...I just wanted to share what I'm facing with what I've seen as a great golf community. I know it isn't the typical post for this site, but thank you for letting me share.

Hit 'em long and straight...but don't forget to make the putts!!!
Ryan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say a prayer for you Ryan. I know you can beat this this. Never give up.

MJ

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

Ryan,

I live in Maple Grove. I stumbled on your post and sat here with my mouth open for a few minutes thinking how I would feel if I had gotten the same news. You see, we have similar statistics. I'm 42 with 3 beautiful children whom I love very much.

The research and development of new treatments is really expanding right now. I'm doing some work with a charity for the cure of Pancreatic Cancer. It really gives me hope to hear about the efforts being made to that end right now. In other words: YES, I think you will beat this. I know you aren't sure what type of cancer you have or what it's origins are but it really doesn't matter. Cancer CAN be beaten as proven by so many others!!

God bless you and your family during this time. When you are feeling better and CURED, let's go tee it up!!

Brent

I've always thought that if athletics are anything other than a way to burn off excess energy, its that they prepare us to deal with the unexpected. In golf, we deal with the unexpected every shot. Whether unexpectedly good or unexpectedly bad, the very best golfers are those who play the next shot as though it was the only shot they will ever have to hit. They live to make the most out of every lie, get the ball in the hole in fewest possible strokes from wherever they are, and then move on to the next challenge.

I hope you have learned your lessons from a lifetime of golf well. This is your lie. You aren't allowed to improve it. You're hitting to a tight pin, uphill, over water, into a two club wind. Plan your shot, commit to it, relax over the ball, and let it fly. If things go well, make the putt. If they don't, play the ball as it lies.

We're your gallery. Show us how to play the game the right way. We'll all be in our own fairway sometime in our lives hitting a similar shot. Lead the way. We want to know how a pro does it. We're behind the ropes watching and hoping . . . with you.

God bless you and those that love you, my friend.

Ryan,

Sorry to hear of your condition. my wife is a nurse and tells me of young people who have a bad health break come their way.

I can not imagine what it must feel like ( having a great wife and two kids )

she always says the people that do the best are the ones with positive attitude.

you are a fighter and keep that in your mind always !

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Ryan

Thank You for sharing the thoughts of your heart, and your soul with we here at GolfWRX, we are honored that you would do so here with us. You've demonstrated to us true strength, and courage that few could fathom. Please include me as one of many who in spirit, are in the corner of life with you, and your family. Keep the spirit, and press forward, and remain optimistic..

With highest regards to you and to yours.

Peace Be With

Mac

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1307284298' post='3285902']
I've always thought that if athletics are anything other than a way to burn off excess energy, its that they prepare us to deal with the unexpected. In golf, we deal with the unexpected, every shot. Whether unexpectedly good or unexpectedly bad, the very best golfers are those who play the next shot as though it was the only shot they will ever have to hit. They live to make the most out of every lie, get the ball in the hole in fewest possible strokes from wherever they are, and then move on to the next challenge.

I hope you have learned your lessons from a lifetime of golf well. This is your lie. You aren't allowed to improve it. You're hitting to a tight pin, uphill, over water, into a two club wind. Plan your shot, commit to it, relax over the ball, and let it fly. If things go well, make the putt. If they don't, play the ball as it lies.

We're your gallery. Show us how to play the game the right way. We'll all be in our own fairway sometime in our lives hitting a similar shot. Lead the way. We want to know how a pro does it. We're behind the robes watching and hoping . . . with you.

[/quote]

Wow, this is a great post, very poignant.

Ryan, best wishes, my thoughts are with you.

Thanks for all the support, EVERYONE! I can't tell you how much your replies are helping (especially my wife and my mother, who were both very touched by the responses.) As a quick update, I had a PET Scan and MRI yesterday, which didn't identify anything new other than what they've seen so far in my bones. Since they think what is in my bones was driven there by something else, and they have yet to identify the source, I'm taking that as "good" news because it doesn't appear to be in my organs or other tissue. I'm still anxious to find out more answers, but this in my mind is a moral victory...Ryan 1 up!!

More later...
Ryan

Stay strong my friend. The fact that you are young and healthy with such a positive outlook are huge advantages. Best of luck, and God bless.

Prayers going up for you from Kentucky...

Srixon Z785 
Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat 

Hey Ryan,

Sorry to hear the news. It's never easy to hear news like that for yourself or loved ones. My step-mother has leukemia and my aunt was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. They are both fighting hard (although my step-mother is just a stubborn Italian woman so according to her, she's basically immune to the cancer that she has). Good people get good breaks. Maybe this ball you've been given will kick out of the rough and into the fairway? Stay strong!

Dustin.

Prayers will be with you and yours!!!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1307284298' post='3285902']
I've always thought that if athletics are anything other than a way to burn off excess energy, its that they prepare us to deal with the unexpected. In golf, we deal with the unexpected every shot. Whether unexpectedly good or unexpectedly bad, the very best golfers are those who play the next shot as though it was the only shot they will ever have to hit. They live to make the most out of every lie, get the ball in the hole in fewest possible strokes from wherever they are, and then move on to the next challenge.

We're your gallery. Show us how to play the game the right way. We'll all be in our own fairway sometime in our lives hitting a similar shot. Lead the way. We want to know how a pro does it. We're behind the ropes watching and hoping . . . with you.

[/quote]

Well said, smith - one of the best posts I've read on this site.

Ryan, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You stay strong, and beat this! Keep us posted - we are here for you. Best of luck, and I gotta feeling you're goin' low this round...

Ryan, given some experience in my family, all I can say is "Enjoy life, NOW". 1) Enjoying life is a way of fighting disease. Sounds hokey, but I think it is true. 2) Enjoying life makes it easier for those around you who are disturbed by negative prognoses.

If it is golf, fine, we are here. If it is stamp collecting, well you probably have another forum. But do it. Wholeheartedly. We support you. Post here when you can.

Ryan, positive thinking saves three shots per side. Make cancer your personal b****, buddy. You got this shot.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Ryan, wishing you well from up here in Canada!

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter