2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

DC/MD/VA Tee Times, Playing Partners, Club Fitting, etc

Visitors welcome too of course
I know we have a MD/VA golfers discussion and "call out" thread, but I thought it'd be good to start one specifically for people looking to play, with openings, planning outings, visiting, etc. Also, since the US Open is around the corner there may be other WRXers coming into town and might want to look for a game while they're here. It's nice to have a thread we can check into if we don't have a tee time to see if anyone has a slot or if you want to play and just need more bodies.

Even though I'm starting this, I don't have anything lined up just yet, but the week of July 4th, I would like to take a day off from work to play at 1757, Pleasant Valley, or South Riding. Other planned rounds for later in the season are Cannon Ridge, Laurel Hill, and Musket Ridge.

Anyway, feel free to post up. Hopefully this will come in handy.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Idea for a thread Puppetmaster....I'll lead off:

A few of us are playing Musket Ridge on Sunday afternoon June 12. Room for a few more, times are right around 2:00 PM. Post here or PM me for interest.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Etiger83' timestamp='1308671029' post='3324293']
Don't really have much time to play this month but really would like to get out and practice. Anyone know of the best short game areas/ranges at courses in the Alexandria/Arlington area? Preferably grass range with a nice short game area (chipping green, bunkers, etc....)
[/quote]

That's a toughie. it might be Laurel Hills. I believe they have grass and mats. I do know they have a short game/bunker practice area. I used to go to Top Golf all the time. Not exactly what your asking for but it was convenient to me and a very nice facility.

Vokey

Laurel Hill has a pretty good short game area with sand bunkers. They rarely have the grass tees open on the range. Also, the range doesn't have many targets to hit to. I go there strictly to work on the short game. I go over to Hilltop as well (off Telegraph Road in Alexandria). They have a short game area that is just okay. No grass tees, but they do have a sand bunker at the end of the range. Plenty of targets too. If you want to travel a little, Forest Greens just off of exit 150 on I-95 has grass tees. I'm not crazy about it because you're hitting everything straight downhill. There is a relatively new place in Clifton (not too far from the Fairfax County Parkway) called Virginia Golf Center. I haven't used it, but did stop by to check it out. I didn't see any grass tees, but looks like they have an outstanding short game area and a 9 hole par 3 course.

[quote name='bartlettsj' timestamp='1308751979' post='3326772']
Laurel Hill has a pretty good short game area with sand bunkers. They rarely have the grass tees open on the range. Also, the range doesn't have many targets to hit to. I go there strictly to work on the short game. I go over to Hilltop as well (off Telegraph Road in Alexandria). They have a short game area that is just okay. No grass tees, but they do have a sand bunker at the end of the range. Plenty of targets too. If you want to travel a little, Forest Greens just off of exit 150 on I-95 has grass tees. I'm not crazy about it because you're hitting everything straight downhill. There is a relatively new place in Clifton (not too far from the Fairfax County Parkway) called Virginia Golf Center. I haven't used it, but did stop by to check it out. I didn't see any grass tees, but looks like they have an outstanding short game area and a 9 hole par 3 course.
[/quote]

That's really wierd about the lack of grass ranges in NOVA. Up here in Howard and Montgomery Counties we have several options for grass ranges. Waverly Woods and Blue Mash being two of the better ones. I believe all the courses over in Frederick area, Musket Ridge, PB Dye, Maryland National mostly have grass as well.

Vokey

Bristow Manor is a hike from you, but it has a huge grass range. Not sure about short game area though, but with the range they have, I assume they must have something.

Burke Lake Park and Pine Crest are other decent executive courses, relatively close, if you want a change of pace, and some wedge/iron practice.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1308756535' post='3326967']
Bristow Manor is a hike from you, but it has a huge grass range. Not sure about short game area though, but with the range they have, I assume they must have something.

Burke Lake Park and Pine Crest are other decent executive courses, relatively close, if you want a change of pace, and some wedge/iron practice.
[/quote]

+1 for Pinecrest, but only for a certain reason. Pinecrest is definitely not a course I look forward to playing on the weekend, but if I'm trying to get in a quick 9 or if I can't get on anywhere else, I usually end up playing Pinecrest because it is about 10min from my house.

Instagram: @rsolson617

[quote name='ironcheflam' timestamp='1308921785' post='3332131']
I just moved to SoMA and was wondering where to play...
[/quote]

LOL!!! Excuse my ignorance but is that SoMA as in Southern Mass Ave? I knew they started calling parts of Northeast NoMA a few years ago but hadn't heard of this.

But in answer to your question, it depends on whether you want to go to Virginia or Maryland? Lots of great choices in both. If you research some threads with DC area golf courses you'll see a lot. Some of the closest to DC that I like Laurel Hills in Lorton, Old Hickory in Woodbridge both in Virginia less than 30 minutes from the District.

In Maryland, Frederick is about a 40 minute drive north of the city but has some of the best courses in the area, Musket Ridge, Whiskey Creek, PB Dye, Worthington Manor. About 30 minutes straight out Central Ave is Renditions a replica course with holes from Amen Corner and the Island Green at TPC Sawgrass

Vokey

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1308924418' post='3332251']
Lexington Park is in Southern M[u]D[/u]. I think that's what he meant. :)
[/quote]
Ok, that might make since becasue I certianly don't know much about the courses in Taunton, MA :) I swear I didn't see the second part saying Lexington Park, either I'm going insane or it was added latter.

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1308924754' post='3332266']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1308924418' post='3332251']
Lexington Park is in Southern M[u]D[/u]. I think that's what he meant. :)
[/quote]
Ok, that might make since becasue I certianly don't know much about the courses in Taunton, MA :) I swear I didn't see the second part saying Lexington Park, either I'm going insane or it was added latter.
[/quote]

sorry yes i meant SoMD. I played renditions today and it was nice to play but a little too easy took about 45 mins to get there not so bad. Trying to get out tomorrow but its raining down here not sure how long thats going to last.

[/quote]

Bristow Manor has a large grass tee to hit for the range. It is actually nice because it is tee box style grass and dirt as opposed to others "grass ranges" that are indeed like mowed backyard grass. They have a putting green and chipping/short game green. It is not extensive but gets the job done for me. Course is always in great shape as they have a great superintendant and maintenance crew. I would suggest all locals to head out there and try it at least once. Its also a good place to go if you get off work early during the week as it is pretty mellow and never crowded in the afternoon.

The course right down the road, Broad Run has a large short game area that I go to every now and then. It is annoying because they rarely use their grass tees but when they do it is almost a crab grass sort with nothing but sand underneath ontop of hating their nine hole course and charging like their a country club I like to avoid that place like its the plague. Honestly, their weekend rate to play nine holes is more than it is to play other local 18 hole courses.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

All:
We have narrowed the choice to Waverly Woods on July 6th around 3PM. PM me if your interested in playing.

[quote name='MDHacker' timestamp='1309269030' post='3341791']
All:
Carolina Golfer 2 and I are thinking of playing Hobbits Glen or Waverly Woods on July 6th around 3PM. Anyone interested ?

MDHacker
[/quote]

I would've if I were closer, that looks like a nice course, but I can't slip out of work early enough to make it up there.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1309892371' post='3366364']
I would've if I were closer, that looks like a nice course, but I can't slip out of work early enough to make it up there.
[/quote]
J
I know it'd be a hike for you from down your way so no wories. However,It may be too late for Hacker to change but if he wanted to make it somewhere out your way, I could probably swing it.

Also keep in mind my offer for later in the year at Hershey. How does a Saturday in early September look for you?

Vokey

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1309269996' post='3341846']

[/quote]

Bristow Manor has a large grass tee to hit for the range. It is actually nice because it is tee box style grass and dirt as opposed to others "grass ranges" that are indeed like mowed backyard grass. They have a putting green and chipping/short game green. It is not extensive but gets the job done for me. Course is always in great shape as they have a great superintendant and maintenance crew. I would suggest all locals to head out there and try it at least once. Its also a good place to go if you get off work early during the week as it is pretty mellow and never crowded in the afternoon.

The course right down the road, Broad Run has a large short game area that I go to every now and then. It is annoying because they rarely use their grass tees but when they do it is almost a crab grass sort with nothing but sand underneath ontop of hating their nine hole course and charging like their a country club I like to avoid that place like its the plague. Honestly, their weekend rate to play nine holes is more than it is to play other local 18 hole courses.
[/quote]

Totally agree with everything you just wrote bubbagump! Bristow does have the largest grass range with the best turf IMHO. Broad Run rarely uses their grass range and their mats are like hitting off cartpath! The only good thing about Broad Run is that their chipping area is kind of secluded and there is usually never anyone over there so you feel like you are practicing in your own backyard green.

I live right down the road from Bull Run and I really like their practice facility and the course now that it is under new ownership. The same group that owns Rasberry falls and a couple of other courses recently bought it and have really turned the place around back to its original glory. The practice area is free to use if you pay to play, but if you just want to practice it will cost you $20, but you can hit as many balls as you want for as long as you want.

My favorite places to practice/play are definitely Dominion Valley and Evergreen. They are both private, and both have top of the line practice areas!

Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
Titleist TS3 15 w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist 915HD 20.5 w/ Aldila Tour Blue 95X
Titleist T100 4-P w/ TI X100
Vokey SM7 52.08, 56.10, 60.04 w/ TI S400
Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

[quote name='ismashedit' timestamp='1311178619' post='3407520']
Does anyone play in Maryland? Hello? Is anyone out there? You know it is summertime = golf season.
[/quote]

ismashedit...yeah there are many of here that play all around Maryland. However in my case my workload the past month and the coming month will curtail me to a couple rounds a month. Once September comes I hope to be able to get a bit more in during the week and on weekends as well.

Let us know if you're ever over near Timbers at Troy or Waverly Woods, my two most frequented courses. Although I'd love to get back to Whiskey Creek sometime this year.

Vokey

Are there any locations in NoVA that have an outdoor range outifitted with Trackman, or another quality LM that will allow me to bring my own stuff and get it adjusted properly?

I know I can go to Golf Galaxy and hit in to their net using their LM, but there is no visual confirmation of ball flight -- which I find very important.

Thanks all!

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1311192879' post='3408173']
Are there any locations in NoVA that have an outdoor range outifitted with Trackman, or another quality LM that will allow me to bring my own stuff and get it adjusted properly?

I know I can go to Golf Galaxy and hit in to their net using their LM, but there is no visual confirmation of ball flight -- which I find very important.

Thanks all!
[/quote]

I doubt anyone would have a "free" Trackman station for people to just use. Interesting concept though - pay by the hour Trackman usage for those slow days. I'd pay, lol. Anyway, 1757 in Sterling and Westfields have outdoor Trackman set ups, but you have to know someone there or pay for a fitting session to get on. Mike Fix at High Launch Golf sets up his Trackman at Cannon Ridge (grass range) and does it by appointment only.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1311193847' post='3408226']
[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1311192879' post='3408173']

Thanks all!
[/quote]

I doubt anyone would have a "free" Trackman station for people to just use. Interesting concept though - pay by the hour Trackman usage for those slow days. I'd pay, lol. Anyway, 1757 in Sterling and Westfields have outdoor Trackman set ups, but you have to know someone there or pay for a fitting session to get on. Mike Fix at High Launch Golf sets up his Trackman at Cannon Ridge (grass range) and does it by appointment only.
[/quote]

I mentioned free in my query? I was inquiring about club fitting, which I assumed indicated that I would be paying for their equipment, and knowledge. I can see how it could be read the other way, but didn't mention free.