2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What type of driver is working for you?

What flex, Loft, swing speed?
I know I'm probably not swinging the best since I have a partner who consistently out drives me. I just had a Ping demo person tell me I have a 88 ss and should go with a 10,5 deg stiff shaft to reduce the spin. I went to the course today with a stiff 9.5 (closest I could find) and was duck hooking quite abit I think in an effort to get more distance or more height. I get tired (62)towards the end of the round and I'm sure slow my swing down. What is your swing speed, age and what setup works best for you?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1307825253' post='3300489']
I know I'm probably not swinging the best since I have a partner who consistently out drives me. I just had a Ping demo person tell me I have a 88 ss and should go with a 10,5 deg stiff shaft to reduce the spin. I went to the course today with a stiff 9.5 (closest I could find) and was duck hooking quite abit I think in an effort to get more distance or more height. I get tired (62)towards the end of the round and I'm sure slow my swing down. What is your swing speed, age and what setup works best for you?
[/quote]

For an 88 ss I don't know whether stiff is what you want, unless you are gaming a shaft that plays weak to flex. 10.5 head sounds right, though. Anyway, I am 34, play a 44.5' TM Superfast Tp 9.5 (1.0) with a Harrison Saga 60s untipped. My ss is around 110 which (on paper) is too much for that shaft, but it actually handles it well. I game this setup because I am generally a low spin player with my metals and the mid-launch combo gives me the right ball flight without sacrificing roll out. The Saga is a great distance shaft, btw.

You don't necessarily want to reduce spin too much if your ss is around 90. A little extra spin may help keep the ball in the air longer, which is where you will pick up yards. I would suggest keeping the 10.5 head and looking for a bit softer shaft that you can consistently hit.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I'm 59 and have a swing speed o 103-105 with my driver. I play a Titleist 910 D2 9.5 degree with a Proforce V2 76 gram stiff shaft and use a Pro V1 ball. This set up works for me. To maximize your driver distance is basically dialing in the right launch angle and spin rate for your swing speed. The variables here are shaft flex, shaft weight, driver loft and your angle of attack. A harder or distance ball that spins less may help you get more distance at the expense of feel on putts and short shots. Find a golf shop that has a launch monitor where you can try different shafts and lofts. Also check out this link for maximizing your driver distance - [html]http://www.rotaryswing.com/golf-instruction/golfequipment/golf-launch-monitor.php [/html]

All I know is I hit a G15, 10.5, Stiff (Ping Tfc). I get 230-235 straight down the pipe. I'm 64, have no idea what my swing speed is and don't care. As long as this baby delivers for me and I keep a single digit hdcp. what matters? Interestingly enough, I tried a K 15 with a reg. shaft. ( Ping TFC) About the same distance but accuracy was nothing like G-15. Stiff, reg, X ,who knows? I think you just have to hit'em till you find the right one. Thankfully, I have a pro who is pretty good at 'sizing things up' watching you swing. FWIW. Yeah, I think we all have reached the 'tired near the end of the round 'stage. I walk a lot, sometimes a hike up the hill to the next hole is tiring.

I recently had my clubs "tested" for flex and loft by a custom fitter. He explained to me how the majority of clubs in the store are no where near there advertised stats. My Callaway Diablo driver is a 10 loft with a regular flex. He told me that the driver measured at nearly a 14 loft.
I have no complaints since I do bomb it and hit fairly straight but even my irons tested at a much softer flex than advertised. I have a SS of 96.

I would say that when you are purchasing a driver, do NOT worry (too much) about the loft/flex. Start with something and get on a launch monitor and see which one feels good and gives you the better #'s.

I'm 56. I don't spend a lot of time in LMs. Just enough to know I'm mid to upper 90's with a smooth tempo.

Right now, I play a 8.5˚ Titleist 975LFE with a GD YS6 Stiff. I'm looking at replacing my Titleist with a 9˚ Ping Rapture V2 with a Diamana BB in S, maybe R. We'll see.

I like to hit the ball lower than what's recommended and IMO, most "modern" 460cc drivers hit the ball higher than their stated lofts.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

[quote name='rufus mangler' timestamp='1308139947' post='3308822']
I'm 56. I don't spend a lot of time in LMs. Just enough to know I'm mid to upper 90's with a smooth tempo.

Right now, I play a 8.5˚ Titleist 975LFE with a GD YS6 Stiff. I'm looking at replacing my Titleist with a 9˚ Ping Rapture V2 with a Diamana BB in S, maybe R. We'll see.

I like to hit the ball lower than what's recommended and IMO, most "modern" 460cc drivers hit the ball higher than their stated lofts.
[/quote]
Interesting discovery this past weekend. I took both my drivers to the range where they had several demo drivers. I was hitting everything pretty poorly and decided to think back to some of my lessons and try some swing changes. I kept the club head low and outside and kept my chin up so my front shoulder would stay up and not drop. I started hitting in much better and my 11 deg was actually hitting it too high. I'm actually thinking about staying with the 11 deg head and go with a shaft to lower the spin and launch. The Callaway Imix heads are great for this.

My SS is mid 90's and I play a Ping K15 12* with a TFC stiff shaft. I average about 250 off the tee and play to a 6 handicap. I was fitted for this club at the Ping factory. My launch angle with this club is near the 14* mark. Measured on a LM at the Ping factory.

I also play a 47.5" Integra 175 12* with a stiff shaft. I can hit this club at about 270 or so average. I drove a par 4 at 300 yards this morning. 3 putted for a par. but I was about 25 yards from the hole. I was on the front and flag was in the back : (

• 4 weeks later...

I am 65 and a 2 'cap....Swing speed is mid 90's and I use a Miura Precious Edition 10.5* (actually measures at 10*) with an Aerotech Claymore MX48 shaft ,F5 flex....F5 is their stiffest shaft but it is really more like a firm regular....254 cpm at 45.25" Love the club even though it took a few rounds to get used to a smaller head...they are 390 cc.......almost never miss a fairway and long enough to be competitive....Longest yesterday was just over 270...that is maxed out for me.

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I am 64 and am not sure of my SS nor do I really care. LMs and I do not get along well. I just do not swing the same inside as outdoors. Besides the nearest one is in Phoenix and I try and stay out of there as much as possible. I am just finishing a swing coverhaul and I received an R11 9* today and played a few holes with it after the range. I was even par when the lightening and rain came today just as I birdied the 5th hole. I played a round with a demo and shot a 43/44. Plus it was the first time with a new putter as well. I have been using a Superfast 10.5 but launch the ball very high with this set-up. (This is not good in a very windy area) The shaft feels soft and now my SS is increasing so I am getting way too much spin. The R11 has a stiffer 'r' shaft which feels just right for me now. The lower face angle is also good. I did a bit of tinkering with the loft and was happy it did actually lower the launch angle. I still am erratic on SS and drive 210-250 at this time. They all go straight down the middle but I keep on working on more distance off the tee. I have more work to do on my swing. (Does it ever end?) Unlimited range balls is making a huge difference in my game and swing. I am now hitting about 2-3 hundred balls several times a week. Index is 10.6 and dropping.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Does anyone (seniors)know what swingweight works best for them?
I just bought the Callaway Diablo Octane driver in 11.5 deg. regular (46") shaft. The first time out I was hitting it straight but low and did not feel like I was in control of it.
The second time out I cut the shaft 1" and added just one 4" strip of lead tape. I'm not sure exactly what the sw is however I'm assuming it is in the C range since it started out at D4. I will experiment with more lead and/or a shorter shaft length until it feels comfortable. I normally play 44-44.5" however heard from someone in the know (JB from The Hackers Pradise) he is seeing more sucess with the new longer drivers due to the new technology in heads and shafts. They are longer lighter and heavier SW. I'm thinking since I don't feel as strong and conditioned as before D0-D2 might be where I end up.
The sw and shaft length seem to make a big difference in how I swing the driver.

Finally able to play more often after two spine surgeries (neck and lower back). Spent the last 18 months regrooving my swing with a PGA coach. Shorter arc with a softer transition and follow thru.

I was fitted for a Ping Rapture V2 last year in 10.5 degrees with the Diamana Blue shaft regular flex. Distances were great. Feel or feedback were also terrific. But accuracy could have been better.

I recently switched to the Ping G15 with the Serrano shaft in regular flex. It's 12 degree and tipped and swingweighted to D-4. Right now about 220 to 230+ carry when the Hawaii winds aren't gusting. The 12 degree loft allows me to vary the trajectory to take advantage of the winds. Accuracy improved even more after it was tipped. Most consistent driver I've had in many many years.

All of my irons and woods are swingweighted to D-4

One of the guys I play with is 72 years old. He switched from a Taylor Made 10.5 degree to a Callaway Bertha 460 with 13 degrees loft and is playing great golf off the tee.

AlohaJim

[quote name='mocokid' timestamp='1311095407' post='3404636']
Guys, I've been out of the game for 10+ years. How do you get your mph measured? is there a machine you can buy with mph, distance, angle, accuracy, etc. feedback for each shot? Who makes and how mcuh $$ ???
[/quote]
You need to go to a fitter to find out your launch #'s. It depends on how much you want to spend from a custom fitting/club builder to a big box (Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith) to Bridgestone Challenge ball fitting (free).
The monitors that measure this are expensive.

Just moved to a TM Superfast 2.0 HT measured at 12.5* loft

I was hitting my R11 high enough 13*LA on the launch monitor but because I was hitting UP on it I wasn't generating enough spin <2000RPM to keep it airborn.

I reshafted with a Regular Flex slightly tipped Diamana Whiteboard and SCHAZAAM

14*Launch Angle, @150mph ball speed with 2500 RPM

Couldn't be happier, easy to hit straighter and a longer.

[quote name='truehack' timestamp='1311181217' post='3407611']
Just moved to a TM Superfast 2.0 HT measured at 12.5* loft

I was hitting my R11 high enough 13*LA on the launch monitor but because I was hitting UP on it I wasn't generating enough spin <2000RPM to keep it airborn.

I reshafted with a Regular Flex slightly tipped Diamana Whiteboard and SCHAZAAM

14*Launch Angle, @150mph ball speed with 2500 RPM

Couldn't be happier, easy to hit straighter and a longer.
[/quote]
true;
I had a similar experience where I needed to hit up in order to get a high enough launch with my 11 deg FT-iz regular with my 90 ss. I think this head was lower spin and higher kick point and making it dificult for me. The 11.5 deg Octane is working better while I'm still figuring out how far down to cut the shaft and add to the swing weight.
I'm guessing your swing speed is at least 100 if you are getting 150 ball speed. Do you have a favorite swing weight? I'm starting to think it is lighter than the standard D4 for me.I diffinitely like a shorter length than the 46"

[quote name='ND Fan' timestamp='1311185976' post='3407741']
Just bought a Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 8.5 with a Habanaro X factory shaft. That thing has a serious case of the straights, I don't get it the shaft isn't supposed to be that great but what ever it does it works for me right off the clearance rack.
[/quote]

Your a senior hitting an 8.5 X shaft?

Ping G15 @ 8.1deg loft, .9deg open Aldila RIP 70S tipped .5" and 44" in length. Like smackin the ball with a hammer. biggrin.gif

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

I'm 65 years of age now, but still in pretty good shape. (6'1, 210lbs, and a flat belly). Really haven't seen any loss in distance just yet.

My all-time favorite driver is a 325cc TaylorMade R500 Tour with 45" Fujikura Speeder 757 Stiff flex shaft, tipped 1/2". I have both 9.5* and 10.5* lofts. Which one is in my bag really depends on course conditions. Moist and soft fairways during the summer usually bring out the 10.5* for maximum carry and workability. However if fairways are firm and fast the 9.5* is usually in the bag for a bit more run. Generally applies to the winter months here in South Florida.

I consider the TM R500 Tour one of the finest Drivers ever made! Other outstanding TM drivers from the same series are also highly recommended. Specifically these heads and lofts:

- R510 Retail (330cc) 9.5* or 10.5*

- R510-TP Retail or DF Tour (390cc) 8.5*, 9.5* or 10.5*

- R540XD-TP Tour (400cc) - 8.5* or 9.5*

- R580XD-TP Tour (440cc) 8.5* or 9.5*

Note: All the heads shown above work great with the same 757 shaft spec mentioned above. (And yes, I own them all!)

:rolleyes:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

• 3 weeks later...

I am 26 and swing near 110. I am currently using my titliest 905S with a EI-70 stiff shaft.[i] [/i]I do have a R9 with the stock stiff shaft that i take with me if i need to shape the ball more but i usually dont use it as i lose enough yards with it.

Edit sorry guys realised i am in the wrong forum second for my ages.

23 years old. Swing speed of 101mph with a smooth tempo. Using a R11 9° set to HIGHER loft, with 10g weight on the toe, 1g weight on the heel, and sole plate set to OPEN. This is all held together with an Oban Devotion 6 04flex 44" shaft. I get a smash factor of about 1.48... I need to up that swing speed to get a little more distance. I'd like to get to 105-108 swing speed.

TM 9.5° SLDR Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec - 6 years old
Mizuno MP-H4's S300 - 6 years old
Ping i20 15° Black Project X 6.0 - 7 years old
Scott Cameron Del Mar

Ping G10 7.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto 60X. Bomber combo, great trajectory with little spin. Can also hit it low (I mean LOW) if needed into the wind or a dry fairway.

TM SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Speeder
Cobra Bio Cell+ 13.5* w/ Matrix
Srixon ZTXII w/ TT TC X1
TM ATV 52*/58* w/ KBS Tour Black (Tiger Stepped)
[size=4]Scotty Cameron Golo[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

supertri 10.5 w/ fubuki 63x5ct. also crushing the my new superfast 2.0 3 wood... it's making me want the 2.0 driver, but not 46.5 inches long

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x