2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Best wedges on the market.

hammer190290

[\

May I ask WHY you like raw rusty finishes on your wedges ?

Now a days the grooves of most modern wedges are very sharp and provides plenty of spin. This removes the old argument of buying raw rusty wedges because they spin more than the standard wedges.

I consider getting the new 588 DSG wedges, but I don't like my wedges to rust and and I don't like shiny chrome finishes, amd the 588 DSG is not yet being made in satin chrome finish - so I'll have to wait for Cleveland to make a DSG in satin - OR maybe buy mysefl my first set of RTG rzax rusty wedges !

But don't know WHY and IF I would like my wedges to be rusty and worn to look at - so please explain why you like that particular look on a wedge :hi:

I would do gun metal too but mostly I like the raw look. I coke off the rust every few months but my wedges usually take a beating and having the bare naked keeps the look consistent. The raw haze finish wears unevenly. Spin seems the same on all modern wedges.

I also like my irons without paintfill and shaftbands so maybe I am just weird.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate chrome on wedges for one, I cannot stand any glare whatsoever from a wedge and prefer stark contrast when lined up to a ball... gunmetal is okay but as Ryun said finishes wear off and leave mutilated looking faces. Rust really is minimal also... it is not as if the rust cakes the entire wedge instantly, therefore upkeep is minimal if you want to keep the rust to a minimum. I use brushes on my clubs after every practice session or round and this keeps my wedges looking the same, not really rusty but dark in appearance.

I also hate paintfill... white blegh.

I would do gun metal too but mostly I like the raw look. I coke off the rust every few months but my wedges usually take a beating and having the bare naked keeps the look consistent. The raw haze finish wears unevenly. Spin seems the same on all modern wedges.

I also like my irons without paintfill and shaftbands so maybe I am just weird.

Don't think you're weird because you like raw looking wedges - a lot of poeple like that look. But raw finished wedges just don't spin the ball more than a normal looking chrome wedge - thus the old argument saying that raw wedges span the ball more than chrome wedges did is no more correct.

How do you feel about the shiny chrom finish in a wedge ?

It's a mystery to me why Cleveland comes out with a new wedge 588 DSG with a new grind and sharper grooves and then only makes two models of this - one in RTG and one in shiny polished chrome, which will no doubt cause irritation for people like me, who don't like reflection in a wedge.

..............How do feel about the Vokey 200 tour satin series and the Vokey spin Milled compared to the Mizzie MP's ?

And what about the more tear drop shaped Mizuno Mp-T wedges Black Nickel - don't you fancy them too :yess:

I kind of like a more tear drop shaped wedge as to a round face, like the Mp series. The new Mizzie MP_R series will be the succesor to your Mp Forged and will also feature a round face.

Don't know if I'm going on the 'round wagon' - I simply like tear drop shapes heads better, but you shall never say never :idhitit:

I think the Vokeys are tremendously accurate and well made wedges, but I don't like the crisper feel of them. I like a softer feel like the Mizzies. I've never hit a spin milled Vokey, but would love to try one of their Oilcan versions.

As far as Tear vs. Round - I've always liked the way a rounder-shaped head style "centers" the ball. I think Icould easily hit the T series though! :diablo:

..............How do feel about the Vokey 200 tour satin series and the Vokey spin Milled compared to the Mizzie MP's ?

And what about the more tear drop shaped Mizuno Mp-T wedges Black Nickel - don't you fancy them too :yess:

I kind of like a more tear drop shaped wedge as to a round face, like the Mp series. The new Mizzie MP_R series will be the succesor to your Mp Forged and will also feature a round face.

Don't know if I'm going on the 'round wagon' - I simply like tear drop shapes heads better, but you shall never say never :idhitit:

I think the Vokeys are tremendously accurate and well made wedges, but I don't like the crisper feel of them. I like a softer feel like the Mizzies. I've never hit a spin milled Vokey, but would love to try one of their Oilcan versions.

As far as Tear vs. Round - I've always liked the way a rounder-shaped head style "centers" the ball. I think Icould easily hit the T series though! :diablo:

The oilcan Vokeys will rust - do you like a raw wedge with rust spots on the head ?

I can't seem to make up my mind whether I should go for an RTG or OilCan style of wedge that will show rust spots easily. I like to buy the new Cleveland DSG 588 wedges, but they only come in two versions - an RTG version that will rust quickly and a shiny chrom version that will cause reflection problems when playing in sunny weather. This is why I like and prefer Satin wedges or wedges with a finish like the Cleveland CG10 black Pearl (that don't rust) and Mizuno Mp-T Black Nickel (that don't rust either)

I started out using chrome 588s, but the chrome wasn't for me. Went to the rac satins and were nice, but bought gunmetal 588s on impulse. The sole grind on the 588s just didnt seem to be as playable as the racs. So here I am now, with the rac black tps and I love them, great black finish and so soft feeling. PLus the face and cavities are sort of starting to rust which is cool!

i have the mt28 v2 from fourteen golf...luv em luv em luv em!!!

Tm Stealth 2 plus proto driver w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Green 60

Tm Stealth 2 #3 and 5 woods w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Blue 70

Tm P7mc 4-pw w/ KBS $ taper 130 soft stepped 

Tm MG3 50,54,58 w/ KBS Tour

Tm Spider X Tour w/ KBS One Step putter

Tp5x balls

Vessel Carry bag

Are clevelands for more a teardrop face or a round face?

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

I play a 51 and 56 Cleveland 588 chrome for 4 years and see no reason to change. I love these clubs. They perform great and I love the feel. Probably the most secure clubs in my bag.

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

rac Black TP. i've been pulling off some amazing shots with the TP and ProV1 combo, getting some sick spin on my wedge shots. Great feel, perfect set up, just the right amount of bounce, good looks, non-glare finish.

588 DSG RTG's look very promising also.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

Check out Custom Grind Wedges by Don Wood (formerly of Cleveland Golf, Wood Bros. Golf and Zevo among others). Don is an incredible craftsman having designed one of the most visually appealling and playable wedges on the market today, and is the holder of several golf club design related patents. I have put 4 of his custom grinds in my bag, and based on their performance I will not go back to a retail wedge having played Cleveland, Titleist, etc. These are not bad wedges, but Don has taken this business and design to a new level. Don or Steve can be reached at forgolfersonly.com. It's worth a visit to their site.