2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Shaft suggestions for FT-Tour 8.5 Driver

Hello,

I was out of commission with an injury, but I am back playing and my swing is almost back; unfortunately, the shaft broke in FT-5 driver along with the head, so I purchased a used Callaway FT-Tour 8.5 driver. I don't like the feel of the stock Aldila Voodoo shaft, so I am looking to replace it. In my FT-5 I had the VS-PROTO 70 Stiff. My swing speed ranges between 100-105 with a normal swing. Before the injury I maxed out at 110, but with the injury, "I try" not to get too amped up. I did a quick track man and here is what I got. When I feel I make really good contact the ball seems to balloon and then just die. My really bad shots are the pulls or hooks, usually when my tempo is too fast.

Club Speed: 104.5

Ball Speed: 146.5

Smash Factor: 1.47

Dyn Loft: 17.6

Spin Rate: 3100

I was looking at Proforce AXIVCore Green 65 or Mitsubishi Whiteboard or Blueboard. I just bought a Titleist 910H Hybrid with the stock Diamana Kai'li shaft and that one feels pretty good so far. Not sure how it compares to Blueboard in a driver.

Thanks in advance.

A

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ajl7519' timestamp='1309656948' post='3360212']
Hello,

I was out of commission with an injury, but I am back playing and my swing is almost back; unfortunately, the shaft broke in FT-5 driver along with the head, so I purchased a used Callaway FT-Tour 8.5 driver. I don't like the feel of the stock Aldila Voodoo shaft, so I am looking to replace it. In my FT-5 I had the VS-PROTO 70 Stiff. My swing speed ranges between 100-105 with a normal swing. Before the injury I maxed out at 110, but with the injury, "I try" not to get too amped up. I did a quick track man and here is what I got. When I feel I make really good contact the ball seems to balloon and then just die. My really bad shots are the pulls or hooks, usually when my tempo is too fast.

I was looking at Proforce AXIVCore Green 65 or Mitsubishi Whiteboard or Blueboard. I just bought a Titleist 910H Hybrid with the stock Diamana Kai'li shaft and that one feels pretty good so far. Not sure how it compares to Blueboard in a driver.

Thanks in advance.

A
[/quote]

IMO, if your misses are pulls or hooks, launch and spin are higher than you want and you are ballooning, a good direction may be to go a little heavier than the 60-70 range. Maybe look at the 75-80+ range. Maybe the Green 75 instead, or BB 83S, or maybe even just another VS 70S if you did like that shaft.

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

[quote name='heavybladed' timestamp='1309802777' post='3363654']
IMO, if your misses are pulls or hooks, launch and spin are higher than you want and you are ballooning, a good direction may be to go a little heavier than the 60-70 range. Maybe look at the 75-80+ range. Maybe the Green 75 instead, or BB 83S, or maybe even just another VS 70S if you did like that shaft.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. I never tried swinging 75-80g shaft in my driver. I like the VS Proto, but it's not as stable as I would like. I have the same shaft in my 3-wood which is perfect for tee shots and the fairway, but I don't go at my 3-wood like my driver. Would you say the BB plays a bit more stable/stiffer than the VS Proto? Also, I see the BB 73 is about 71g, so if it plays stabler/stiffer than the Proto or Voodoo that might be a good option.

The Voodoo shaft is definitely not the one for me, when I go at it, I get abig nasty hook, and I can feel it whipping on me. On the ones I swing a little less I was getting 250-260 yards of carry today, but that is not my natural tempo. I love this FT-Tour head so far.

A

[quote name='ajl7519' timestamp='1309891621' post='3366319']
[quote name='heavybladed' timestamp='1309802777' post='3363654']
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. I never tried swinging 75-80g shaft in my driver. I like the VS Proto, but it's not as stable as I would like. I have the same shaft in my 3-wood which is perfect for tee shots and the fairway, but I don't go at my 3-wood like my driver. Would you say the BB plays a bit more stable/stiffer than the VS Proto? Also, I see the BB 73 is about 71g, so if it plays stabler/stiffer than the Proto or Voodoo that might be a good option.

The Voodoo shaft is definitely not the one for me, when I go at it, I get abig nasty hook, and I can feel it whipping on me. On the ones I swing a little less I was getting 250-260 yards of carry today, but that is not my natural tempo. I love this FT-Tour head so far.

A
[/quote]

I don't care for the Voodoo in general either, my stock 909 Voodoo was like cracking a bull whip too. It was long when you timed it right, but hard to really control. From what I've heard the BB might be a similar launch to the VS, but much smoother. I had a stock BB-Titleist 909h and It hit so nice I considered leaving it. It almost felt like you didn't feel contact at all.

I played with a guy this spring who had an 8.5* FT Tour with a 6.0 PX. He actually hit it pretty high - higher than I would have thought.

Edit: Duh...

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

I play the FT-Tour (9.5) and have a Fubuki Alpha 70S (73 grams) in it and it's an awesome combo. I get a mid-launch ball flight but very low spin, so the carry/roll combination is excellent in all conditions. The shaft is also extremely stable but still very smooth. I tried a blueboard and a whiteboard in the same head but the Fubuki Alpha has been far better for me. I'm in the same swing-speed ball park as you but my spin rate is in the 2600 range with the Pro V1x.
[quote name='ajl7519' timestamp='1309656948' post='3360212']
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

A
[/quote]

Hard to go wrong with a Whiteboard or Blueboard - sounds like 73g in stiff is up your alley. Both will feel incredibly smooth compared to the Aldila. Whiteboard's going to launch a little lower but have a little less spin than the Blueboard.

Is there someplace nearby with a Callaway fitting cart that you can hit these shafts? If no, and with a complaint about ballooning, I'd say try the Whiteboard first.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1309900812' post='3366763']
Hard to go wrong with a Whiteboard or Blueboard - sounds like 73g in stiff is up your alley. Both will feel incredibly smooth compared to the Aldila. Whiteboard's going to launch a little lower but have a little less spin than the Blueboard.

Is there someplace nearby with a Callaway fitting cart that you can hit these shafts? If no, and with a complaint about ballooning, I'd say try the Whiteboard first.
[/quote]

I had stopped by one Callaway fiter I mentioned the BB or WB and he kind of brushed me off for some reason. I am going to call around and see if there is another fitter where check out these Shafts. I really do like the feel of the stock Kai'li in my Titleist 910H Hybrid, so the Kai'li 70 maybe an option as well.

Thanks again for the feedback.

A

I was able to test out a Razr Tour 8.5 driver with WB 73 and the shaft was perfect for me. This shaft feels so much better than the stock Voodoo. All the stats were better and I was able to really take a full swing without worrying about the shaft whipping on me. No more ballooning either. I ordered one online for my FT-Tour and should have it Wednesday. I will take to Golf Galaxy to have it installed. Can't wait to get it in my bag.

Thanks to all.

A

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1310407669' post='3382317']
you mentioned the axivcore green initially - and i would second that thought. great cheaper option - you may want to consider the 70g version, but wont be disappointed if you go with the 60g class. HOT ball flight!
[/quote]

Thanks, I would have definitely went that route, but I was able to get a good deal on the WB 73 at Golfsmith. They had the 50 off 250 deal, plus I had a cash card and few gift cards I forgot I had. I was originally going to go with a 60g class shaft, but they feel a bit light. The slightly heavier clubs keeps me from getting my hands and arms involve in the backswing as I have a tendency of lifting the club when my swing is off.

I picked up an 8.5 FT Tour/ WB 83x for cheap in an attempt to flip. Had to try it first though and I bomb the thing. I have similar swing speeds as you (the OP) and even though I probably wouldnt have been fitted for this shaft, I am gonna keep using it til it stops working. I hit the stock setup when it first came out and the voodoo just feels sloppy to me. This setup, even if it is a telephone pole, works very well.

• 2 weeks later...