Real or Wannabe Engineers or Designers

How would you redesign the golf cart?
If you were redesigning the golf cart from scratch, what would your design look like? And in the interest of making this a somewhat realistic exercise, my only rule is that your design must not cost significantly more than today's carts.

I'll start off with a basic suggestion of reworking the dash console to add cubbies/holders for devices like cell phones, GPSs, and rangefinders. Right now I think many of us either use a cupholholder (thereby losing a cupholder) or have our stuff slide around unsecured in the big open area.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MichiganMike' timestamp='1310499274' post='3385618']
If you were redesigning the golf cart from scratch, what would your design look like? And in the interest of making this a somewhat realistic exercise, my only rule is that your design must not cost significantly more than today's carts.

I'll start off with a basic suggestion of reworking the dash console to add cubbies/holders for devices like cell phones, GPSs, and rangefinders. Right now I think many of us either use a cupholholder (thereby losing a cupholder) or have our stuff slide around unsecured in the big open area.
[/quote]

Interesting (and IMHO) a worthy question. I like the ideas of cubbyholes but I don't think that they will score very high in the 'can't cost significantly more...' part. It isn't the parts that add expense but rather the cost of the new molds so that these can be re-invented.

To that end, I would say that an insert could be made that subdivides the major compartments -- but alas, not all golf carts are made the same.

I can tell you that I want to have either/or (maybe both?) a twelve-volt cigarette/cigar lighter (expect it to be used as such, not just as a charging point for a cell phone or a yardage finder etc. Allow for a 120v charging as well?

Seal up and vent out 'sweating' drinks so that they don't run down your leg (I know, that sounds a little bit off). Maybe a better seat -- most certainly
a better seat-back? More efficient?

Remove the typical ball port in the central part of the dash, reduce it to one extra ball. That give you one on the tee, one in your pocket (potentially another in your other pocket (if you 'swing' that way)? and one in the car. The rest are in your bag if needed.

A horn button on the column -- notice I said a button -- I didn't say a horn itself? hehe. Maybe it can be an inflatable wacky waving inflatable arm guy tube man? Or maybe it just flips you off? Your choice.

A way to signal that it is ok to start off with that blind tee shot around a bend or over a hill?

The last carts that go out have a seeding system to go over the ruts etc.?

Better brakes?

Wider tires, less turf damage?

On a cart path, remove the 'sleeping policemen' in fact, remove them from all things like apartment complexes, doctor's offices, worksites, basically ANYWHERE?

A back-up strap so that you don't hit a rut and toss your bag out of the back, the back-up strap saves your bacon?

A device that measures angle of attack and delivers more power as needed to get past such a restriction (I am sick and tired of having a 20 foot hill and going 1 MPH over it the whole way. Let it override the governor and now you can take a 20 foot hill at at 15mph?

Just a couple of thoughts.

You have good ideas but there are a few reason golf carts are design how they are.

[quote name='devildog66' timestamp='1310503766' post='3385931']
[quote name='MichiganMike' timestamp='1310499274' post='3385618']

[/quote]

Interesting (and IMHO) a worthy question. I like the ideas of cubbyholes but I don't think that they will score very high in the 'can't cost significantly more...' part. It isn't the parts that add expense but rather the cost of the new molds so that these can be re-invented.

To that end, I would say that an insert could be made that subdivides the major compartments -- but alas, not all golf carts are made the same.

I can tell you that I want to have either/or (maybe both?) a twelve-volt cigarette/cigar lighter (expect it to be used as such, not just as a charging point for a cell phone or a yardage finder etc. Allow for a 120v charging as well?
[b]Expensive[/b]
Seal up and vent out 'sweating' drinks so that they don't run down your leg (I know, that sounds a little bit off). Maybe a better seat -- most certainly
a better seat-back? More efficient?
[b]That hole is there to make the cart easier to clean. By having a hole you could use a hose to clean the entire cart rather than having to clean out each hole individually. Back seats are also made to last, comfort, durability and cost don't really mix[/b]
Remove the typical ball port in the central part of the dash, reduce it to one extra ball. That give you one on the tee, one in your pocket (potentially another in your other pocket (if you 'swing' that way)? and one in the car. The rest are in your bag if needed.
[b]I've seen carts like this[/b]
A horn button on the column -- notice I said a button -- I didn't say a horn itself? hehe. Maybe it can be an inflatable wacky waving inflatable arm guy tube man? Or maybe it just flips you off? Your choice.
[b]Expensive and would be abused and annoying[/b]
A way to signal that it is ok to start off with that blind tee shot around a bend or over a hill?
[b]That on the course. If they know its a blind tee shot, they need to have a bell or something similar[/b]
The last carts that go out have a seeding system to go over the ruts etc.?

Better brakes?

Wider tires, less turf damage?

On a cart path, remove the 'sleeping policemen' in fact, remove them from all things like apartment complexes, doctor's offices, worksites, basically ANYWHERE?

A back-up strap so that you don't hit a rut and toss your bag out of the back, the back-up strap saves your bacon?

A device that measures angle of attack and delivers more power as needed to get past such a restriction (I am sick and tired of having a 20 foot hill and going 1 MPH over it the whole way. Let it override the governor and now you can take a 20 foot hill at at 15mph?

Just a couple of thoughts.
[b]On these last few I feel like your course may have old carts. Much better braking in acceleration in the newer ones and weight displacement. I also think that companies have slowed carts down on courses request. Slower carts are less accident prone and do less damage to the course[/b]
[/quote]

I think thre should just be a computer/ GPS -enabled unit that not only allows you measure distance/drives, order lunch, etc......but it could also be seen and monitored by the pro shop to enforce pace of play. They could send a "text message" or email or something to inform you that you need to pick up the pace.

Otherwise the seat is wired with a 1000 volt charge that takes care of the "problem"........

just kidding. ( kind of)

I'd certainly appreciate the back being redesigned to fit stand bags, or just about any modern bag for that matter. I hate sticking my "cart" bag or stand bag in the back and cinching it down only to see that the bottom either doesn't fit or the cinching twisted and/or made it crooked. Seems like this design hasn't changed in a long time and there has to be a handful of better ways to do it.

I've seen quite a few older, we're talking old three wheelers, that had the bag rack on the front. I would like to play using one once, just seems to make more sense that the bag is right there in front of you as get in and out. Would like to know why they went away from that design.

Definitely a holder for your personal GPS right on the windshield where it is easy to see/read. Our local course got all new carts this year and getting in and out sucks, I'm tall and so is my wife, between the taller safety rail at seat edge, larger roof overhang, and a steering wheel that is further back there are days I swear I'm going to knock myself out I hit the roof so hard sometimes.

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1310515256' post='3386463']
Perhaps a cry out to fitness folks instead to get people off of golf carts.
[/quote]

I fully agree, but unfortunately it'll never happen at some courses due to space between holes. I just measured my local course online and it's a minimum of 6.4 miles. And that does not account for anything like an off fairway shot, dropping and picking your bag near the green, etc. I clocked it as the shortest possible tee to green walk.

My biggest problem with carts is greenside. When I walk (can't on my home course - mountain course with seriously long, steep drives from one hole to the next), I always have the right club in front of me… could be anything from a putt with a 6 iron to a lob with a 64°. Now-a-days I grab my putter and a wedge or three, but can't count the times I have had to make a shot with the wrong club due to not wanting to take the time to walk back to the cart for the right one.

I would love to see a two piece bag with a detachable pseudo stand bag that had 6 iron-putter, or even a secure and quickly detachable mounting system for a stand bag so I could just quickly grab my whole bag.

There are also numerous places in the fairway (especially during Fall thru Spring) where you can't take the cart anywhere near the ball. Being able to quickly grab a stand bag would speed up play as I all too often see players in front of me going back to the cart to pull another club after they get to their ball with the wrong one.

Somebody build it PLEASE! :black eye:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='signats' timestamp='1311687401' post='3424525']
Something like this?

[url="http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/golfbagplace_2169_8183191"]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/golfbagplace_2169_8183191[/url]
[/quote]
Not quite. It doesn't hold enough clubs and is cheaply made. There is a much nicer one at http://www.provoto.com/catalog.php?item=2

Problem with both of these is if they don't hold enough clubs you are constantly swapping them, which takes more time. Ideally the two piece bag would let you quickly grab everything but your woods and storage.