Ben Hogan persimmon Driver.....How New/old???

I think I found a really nice pair of Ben Hogan woods. But I need help dating these clubs I would like to know how old they are and if they have any real value/rarity. These Hogan woods have the red and blue line underneath the Ben Hogan signature which to me means their from the "personal" collection. What do you guys think?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size="4"]Kidfromkanada
The information I have comes from the "Golf Club Identification & Price Guide IV - which is published by Golfworks/Maltby found on page 24-30 .

1972 Speed Slot Personal 2070 which is the same head shapes and features as the Model 4070 "but" in persimmon. There is a asterick * in the "value" column.

So what was the Model 4070?
Standard radius sole design with medium deep face. Black/Red Accur-aim@ insert with 4-screw inverted Y-pattern. Crown decal - white Ben Hogan with red and blue lines underneath. Speed Slot decal on the toe. 10.5 degree loft on the driver.

I suggest you check our your local "Used Book Store" for an old copy. It might cost you $20.00 shekels. It's a very easy way of identifying what you have, anytime you want.
Max
St. Catharines
[/size]

"One Day At a Time"

[quote name='Maxwell' timestamp='1311127078' post='3406159']
[size="4"]
1972 Speed Slot Personal 2070 which is the same head shapes and features as the Model 4070 "but" in persimmon. There is a asterick * in the "value" column.

So what was the Model 4070?
Standard radius sole design with medium deep face. Black/Red Accur-aim@ insert with 4-screw inverted Y-pattern. Crown decal - white Ben Hogan with red and blue lines underneath. Speed Slot decal on the toe. 10.5 degree loft on the driver.
[/size]
[/quote]
[size="3"]

[/size]

[size="3"]Maxwell,[/size]
[size="3"]You have a great resource which I think I'll be ordering from amazon. But the only thing different from the books description, and my Driver is that mine doesn't have an Inverted Y screw pattern. Mine is a square. From the condition of the grip because it's still has some "tackyness" I want to believe this Driver is from the late 80's. But then again what do I know... I'm only 21. Anyway Its a beautiful golf club, It would be cool if I could get the history of it. Maybe one day be able to complete the set.[/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size=2]Cheers
[/size]

Hi kid,
I agree with maxwell.

You said your insert is square. Your 4th pic shows an inverted Y insert. Also your crown decal appears to only have one blue line under HOGAN. They always used red and blue lines. As persimmonpal said maybe these were refinished and whoever put the decal on lost the red line.

I also think they stopped using this crown decal around 1978.

As persimmopal said they don't have much value. During the period that MR. HOGAN owned the CO. 1953 to about 1985 they made high quality clubs. Yours are during that period very nice clubs.

[quote name='robert horneman' timestamp='1311178585' post='3407518']
Hi kid,
I agree with maxwell.

You said your insert is square. Your 4th pic shows an inverted Y insert. Also your crown decal appears to only have one blue line under HOGAN. They always used red and blue lines. As persimmonpal said maybe these were refinished and whoever put the decal on lost the red line.

I also think they stopped using this crown decal around 1978.

As persimmopal said they don't have much value. During the period that MR. HOGAN owned the CO. 1953 to about 1985 they made high quality clubs. Yours are during that period very nice clubs.
[/quote]

There is a big difference between an inverted Y insert and an inverted Y screw pattern. Hogan used an inverted Y screw pattern for most of the 60s into the early 70s. His club clearly shows a square screw pattern. Those crown decals were one piece so its unlikely that the red line was lost. Someone would have had to cut it off of the original decal which I highly doubt. There's a good possibility that the decal was aftermarket and not from the Hogan Company. Upon closer inspection of the photos, I think you can see the red line above the blue. Anyone else see it?

WeeIcemon you got a great pair of eye's because in those pictures it is hard to see the red line. But the red line is their I can assure you that and as an added bonus next time I might turn the flash off when taking a picture. I know there is no big dollar amount for this club since its not mint condition but still.

Does anyone know what was the last year of persimmon/wood club production of Hogan clubs?

Here is a pic of of an inverted Y screw formation

I believe the last Hogan persimmons that came out were the Apex woods, which are stamped oil hardened on the toe, and Ben Hogan on the crown.. red fiber insert. Technically though, they were not made by the Hogan Co, they were made for Hogan by Louisville Golf. I believe that was around 1992-1993. Here is a link for a current auction for one of them. (not my auction) Nice driver.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ben-Hogan-Apex-Persimmon-driver-steel-shaft-NR-/190557056093?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2c5e15ec5d

[attachment=826005:IMG_5598.JPG][attachment=826005:IMG_5598.JPG][attachment=826004:IMG_5597.JPG][attachment=826003:IMG_5596.JPG][attachment=826002:IMG_5595.JPG][attachment=826001:IMG_5600.JPG][attachment=826000:IMG_5599.JPG][attachment=825999:IMG_5591.JPG][attachment=825998:IMG_5590.JPG][attachment=825998:IMG_5590.JPG]Here are a few Ben Hogan persimmons I have,
i have taken some pictures of them and sorted them by years they were made. This is not all of the ones he produced,but cover most of the models, The top picture is a couple of different DFD models from the 60's, the scond groupings are from the 50;s 60;s, the 3rd grouping is from the 70;s and the last groupings are from the 70 80,s I was not able to add captions to each picture like I wanted[quote name='persimmonpal' timestamp='1311261689' post='3411020']
I believe the last Hogan persimmons that came out were the Apex woods, which are stamped oil hardened on the toe, and Ben Hogan on the crown.. red fiber insert. Technically though, they were not made by the Hogan Co, they were made for Hogan by Louisville Golf. I believe that was around 1992-1993. Here is a link for a current auction for one of them. (not my auction) Nice driver.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Ben-Hogan-Apex-Persimmon-driver-steel-shaft-NR-/190557056093?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2c5e15ec5d"]http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2c5e15ec5d[/url]
[/quote]

• 3 years later...

Since I'm in thread resurrection mode this morning, I found this one while searching for info on my Hogan Speed Slot 6-screw D. Face looks like the one shown in Teevons last pic ^, second in from the right. Based on his comments, appears that it may have been from sometime in the 80's. Shaft is DG S300 if that has any relevance. Am I correct on the vintage? Like to know how old my "stuff" is. TIA.

[attachment=2479801:image.jpg]
[attachment=2479803:image.jpg]

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1414752926' post='10377487']
Since I'm in thread resurrection mode this morning, I found this one while searching for info on my Hogan Speed Slot 6-screw D. Face looks like the one shown in Teevons last pic ^, second in from the right. Based on his comments, appears that it may have been from sometime in the 80's. Shaft is DG S300 if that has any relevance. Am I correct on the vintage? Like to know how old my "stuff" is. TIA.

[attachment=2479801:image.jpg]
[attachment=2479803:image.jpg]
[/quote]

Fella, if there is a speed slot on the toe, I'll peg it as being in the '79-'82 family of Tour woods. It can be either a 2030, 3030 or a 4030 depending on the year. Can you post a toe picture?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Maltbys golf club identification book has pretty good descriptions but are not perfect regarding Hogan clubs. His book just goes back to 55 for Hogan.
I have attached a copy of ad from 1958-59 showing picture of woods sold and an ad for 59 saying this was first year for speed slot
Precision was stamped on sole from 54-57

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1422516447' post='10839657']
Here you go Burton
what is cool about his driver in pic is that it has a large speedslot in it, Precision's did not have speedslot, notice how the speedslot is much bigger than production models
[/quote]I've been collecting clubs for over 50 years...most of what I have would be considered "junk" but...about 25 years ago I lucked up on a jewel. One of the Hawk's very on. The proof is not in the pudding but in the specs. It's a 54 Ben Hogan Precision 9 degees loft; 2 degrees open; 4 degrees flat! Oh yeah the stiffest true temper X shaft available at that time. Sorry not for sale.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Glolfer03' timestamp='1436157330' post='11894372']
Any ideas on this one? I can't seem to find enough information to guesstimate the value, age, etc
[/quote]
Looks like the Hogan Radials, 83-86ish, very cambered sole, made to match the Radial iron set. From what I recall, the fairway woods were great out of the rough!!