2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Hogan Apex 1973-1978 Left Handed

New here and found the site after using google to determine the value of my buddys Hogan precision irons that were stolen.......anyway here is my play set of irons. I spent from the first 20 years playing wilson staff 1969 bullet backs all the while searching for the one of the few sets of Vintage Hogan Irons made for a lefty. I always wanted a set of the 73-78 models and found a lone 2-iron. About four years ago I was on EBAY and BAM!!!!!!!!!! there they were. The auction stated the irons looked like they had been left in a water hazard but hey I got them for ~ $7.00 dollars and paid $10 shipping. I got them home and they were all there but the equalizer. So about a year later a matching set with Apex 4 shafts 2-E came up for a BIN of $100 and I pounced. Then about a month ago on Craigslist the classic Red/White/Blue bag pops up for $20 and I pounced on that. So my playing set is now complete with the purchase of a very nice 8802.

Driver-Biggest Big Bertha 7 degree

Fairway wood- Big bertha 2 wood "the deuce"

Irons- Hogan Apex 2-Equalizer

Wedges- 56 and 60 degree BeCu

Putter- The Wilson 8802

DSC_6122.jpg

I also searched for a putter on here called The Portsider. I had seen these in ad's and now I have three of them. They are small so look like a novelty putter. They look like and 8802. I will post pics later.

So lefties lets see your vintage equipment.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First things First!

[b][i]You have a great set of Vintage Hogans...

[/i][/b].....The Sam Adams (Quad Cities Open ) set.

My Congratulations on your tenacity and persistance in putting them together.

Wilson Portsider, or Walter Hagen Lucky Lefty? Which of the 8802s is your favorite?

But your "Biggest Big Bertha"......and "The Duece".......Vintage?

Maybe you haven't seen the post of LH MacGregor Persimmons....

.....Of course, since this [i]appears[/i] to be a Left Handed Vintage Equipment throwdown, I'll post something [i]very [/i]soon.

First things First!

You have a great set of Vintage Hogans... Thank YOU!!!

.....The Sam Adams (Quad Cities Open ) set. Tell me more about this please????

My Congratulations on your tenacity and persistance in putting them together. It was a great day for me taking the first set that was "in the water hazard" and cleaning them up, high speed polish.....20 year journey!!!!

Wilson Portsider, or Walter Hagen Lucky Lefty? Which of the 8802s is your favorite? Pics of the Portsider below. I was playing with a Cleveland Designed By 8802 copy and just recently picked up the 8802. I know little of them, my favorite right now is the one in my bag!!! :D

But your "Biggest Big Bertha"......and "The Duece".......Vintage? Ya got me!!! Vintage, no.....but Classic in my book YES....so I squeak in with this one. I was lucky enough to start golfing in 1984 at the age of 13. I played with a wooden driver and fairway wood, blades and balatas...Powerbilt blades. I will look for a set of real persimmion Hogan woods, as that would only be the way to be fully Vintage but sadly I would only a want to hit a Balata or soft golf ball to preserve them.

Maybe you haven't seen the post of LH MacGregor Persimmons.... Not yet.....after my rambling I will be onto the search feature!!!!

.....Of course, since this appears to be a Left Handed Vintage Equipment throwdown, I'll post something very soon. I will quickly run out of equipment for this throwdown....did not intend to come off aggressive and do not take my red text as aggressive !!! It just me being lazy to respond to your quotes!!! Look forward to some pics of some vintage left handed equipment!!!

Very cool vintage documentation:

DSC_6243.jpg

DSC_6244.jpg

Lefty Ladies and Gentlemen The Wilson

Portsider

DSC_6245.jpg

DSC_6246.jpg

DSC_6247.jpg

Compared to my 8802

DSC_6248.jpg

Taking pics of golf clubs is a pain!!! 8802 next to The Portsider I put lead tape on it to make it playable but its so small and light.

DSC_6250.jpg

Let's answer your question first-

Sam Adams (the golfer, and NOT the beer)

He is one of only six left-handers to ever win a PGA Tour event. Which one?

On September 30, 1973, Adams recorded the only victory of his PGA Tour career, posting a 16-under-par 268 at the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Cities_Open"]Quad Cities Open[/url]

and Yes... Sam was a Hogan Staff member, and used the same Hogan Apex irons you've worked long to obtain.

Looking at your equipment from a different perspective-

Both Ben Hogan and Ely Callaway did offer Persimmon woods to right handers, but sadly...LH Ben Hogan Apex, or Callaway Persimmons?

In the 80s? Nope Titleist? Spalding? Please......replied to the guy who posted his LH WITB featuring nothing but Titleist clubs...

Both Toney Penna (Model 12) and Roger Cleveland (TC-15) offered at least ONE LH Persimmon Model-

Interesting you should mention PowerBilt- they were my irons in the 70s... the Citation Driver was and is a very nice model, but the one I tried had an Aluminum shaft, and wasn't as long as the MacGregors, or the Dargie one elderly left handed pro sold to me... Already posted the photos of the LH Persimmons

You had a set of 69 Wilson "BulletBack" Dynapower Irons...and PowerBilt blades.... you're not alone.

I'll post a photo of WITB in the '70s and early '80s....

As for putters My 14th birthday present was a LH Acushnet Bullseye Flange- try finding one of those....

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1311397825' post='3416187']
Let's answer your question first-

Sam Adams (the golfer, and NOT the beer)

He is one of only six left-handers to ever win a PGA Tour event. Which one?

On September 30, 1973, Adams recorded the only victory of his PGA Tour career, posting a 16-under-par 268 at the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Cities_Open"]Quad Cities Open[/url]

and Yes... Sam was a Hogan Staff member, and used the same Hogan Apex irons you've worked long to obtain.

Looking at your equipment from a different perspective-

Both Ben Hogan and Ely Callaway did offer Persimmon woods to right handers, but sadly...LH Ben Hogan Apex, or Callaway Persimmons?

In the 80s? Nope Titleist? Spalding? Please......replied to the guy who posted his LH WITB featuring nothing but Titleist clubs...

Both Toney Penna (Model 12) and Roger Cleveland (TC-15) offered at least ONE LH Persimmon Model-

Interesting you should mention PowerBilt- they were my irons in the 70s... the Citation Driver was and is a very nice model, but the one I tried had an Aluminum shaft, and wasn't as long as the MacGregors, or the Dargie one elderly left handed pro sold to me... Already posted the photos of the LH Persimmons

You had a set of 69 Wilson "BulletBack" Dynapower Irons...and PowerBilt blades.... you're not alone.

I'll post a photo of WITB in the '70s and early '80s....

As for putters My 14th birthday present was a LH Acushnet Bullseye Flange- try finding one of those....
[/quote]

Thank you for the knowledge and education. When I was trying to play the game for a living I studied everything I could find that was Hogan. Read the modern fundamentals book over and over again, but I never researched Sam Adams, learn something new everyday!!! How lucky of Sam to be on the Hogan staff, any links or photos of his golf swing??

Your right, the only Hogan wood woods I have seen are Laminate not persimmion. Oh the discrimination us left handers face trying to get quality golf equipment!! It would be nice to have a set of wood woods for the nostalgia.

I will never forget getting my first set of irons, the Powerbilts.........got them out of the shed at the Chi Chi Rodriguez par 3 course that was on Gulf to Bay road in Clearwater FL. The Powerbilt irons and Citation woods were in a University of South Florida (USF) green golf bag. I hit those woods til they exploded!!!

I still have my 69 staffs, they have been retired due to now having two sets of the Apex irons, they served me well for many years, i have 1-wedge and will post some pics later.

I will keep a look out for a LH bullseye flange putter for you, post a pic so I know what I am looking fo..... I think i know what they look like......and If I should find one it is yours!!

NOW a couple things I noticed......... I was born September 30, 1971.......Sam Adams won the quad cities open on September 30, YOU joined this forum on September 30!!! coincidence I think NOT!!!!

I am not a leftie but have a few left handed putters to share, there are 3 Bullesye flanges a,2 pings,, and Anser andB60, a kenneth Smith, Spalding TPM, Portsider, Matzie ,Rawlings,Cleveland Crenshaw (new) , Mac Jimmy Demaret Master, Australian Dint(new), HB ,Beckley Ralston and more,

New here and found the site after using google to determine the value of my buddys Hogan precision irons that were stolen.......anyway here is my play set of irons. I spent from the first 20 years playing wilson staff 1969 bullet backs all the while searching for the one of the few sets of Vintage Hogan Irons made for a lefty. I always wanted a set of the 73-78 models and found a lone 2-iron. About four years ago I was on EBAY and BAM!!!!!!!!!! there they were. The auction stated the irons looked like they had been left in a water hazard but hey I got them for ~ $7.00 dollars and paid $10 shipping. I got them home and they were all there but the equalizer. So about a year later a matching set with Apex 4 shafts 2-E came up for a BIN of $100 and I pounced. Then about a month ago on Craigslist the classic Red/White/Blue bag pops up for $20 and I pounced on that. So my playing set is now complete with the purchase of a very nice 8802.

Driver-Biggest Big Bertha 7 degree

Fairway wood- Big bertha 2 wood "the deuce"

Irons- Hogan Apex 2-Equalizer

Wedges- 56 and 60 degree BeCu

Putter- The Wilson 8802

DSC_6122.jpg

I also searched for a putter on here called The Portsider. I had seen these in ad's and now I have three of them. They are small so look like a novelty putter. They look like and 8802. I will post pics later.

So lefties lets see your vintage equipment.

]Great photos of some LH putters!

Hmmmm...... those LH Bullseye Flange putters.....and the Australian Dint.........

In a Golf World not long ago, Crenshaw showed both putters he won the '84 and '95 Masters with.....one was "The Wilson 8802"

Since both the CDBBC and the Designed By Cleveland are coveted, I'll hold judgement.....

I'll post very soon....

And here are the photos of the Cleveland Drivers, and the Designed By Cleveland putter...

[attachment=849260:100_9034.JPG][attachment=849261:100_9066.JPG][attachment=849262:100_9068.JPG]

• 4 years later...

TCJ-

Good Luck with your search of LH Ben Hogan Apex irons-

Thanks, I'm going to need it I'm sure!

Are the irons in Mr. Clean's picture the same as the ones, second down from the top, in your picture rex?

TCJ-

Yes, they are 1973 LH Ben Hogan Apex irons. 3 -Equalizer (Thanks Again Teevons!)

The set below them are the LH Slazenger Ben Hogan Apex Irons from the UK.... 1-E (Thanks again Stixman!)

GolfNut-

Nice PowerBilt Citation Driver you have sneaking into the '76 Staff photo.

I too was fortunate to find a set of lefty 73 Apex irons. I re finished my speed slots.

Also had the 7-PW of my 76 staff blades re chromed and I have to say they are my fave irons.

Have about 5-7 persimmon drivers too.

Hard to find decent lefty gear...will try to post more pics on weekend.

thnx for sharing

Golfnut-

You just have to know where to look....

These are part of a collection of Classic Clubs....

Stay Tuned.