905 vs. 983

trudat

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not had great success with my 905T, I don't know if it is better or worse than my 983K, I put a Fit on -11 95g in my 905 and I don't think I like the shaft head combination. I have K's with a proForce 75 and a V2 76g in them and until I get a different shaft in my T, I would have to say there is no huge difference to me.

I went from an E to the S, and love it. Distance-wise, there isn't a whole lot different with them. Maybe just a hair longer with the S, but nothing to get excited about. But, the forgiveness is much better. I never thought the E was hard to hit, by any means. But, you can hit the S just about anywhere on the face and still get great shots. My 983E has a Speeder 952 in it, and my 905S now has a ZCom BW65. Took a while to get used to the light weight shaft, but its great now.  The ZCom is just stellar in this head, and feels fantastic.

So, I kind of agree with people here. If distance is your main goal, you won't hit a 905 a lot longer than the 983s.  But, if you want forgiveness, the 905 is definately easier to hit.  At least, to me it is. I think the 983 is a good driver, the 905 is just a little better.

Hilg

24157[/snapback]

I completely agree. Distance is similar but the S is just so much more forgiving. I will give the nod to the E in terms of feel though. Both are solid sticks with the right shaft setup.

I went from an E to the S, and love it. Distance-wise, there isn't a whole lot different with them. Maybe just a hair longer with the S, but nothing to get excited about. But, the forgiveness is much better. I never thought the E was hard to hit, by any means. But, you can hit the S just about anywhere on the face and still get great shots. My 983E has a Speeder 952 in it, and my 905S now has a ZCom BW65. Took a while to get used to the light weight shaft, but its great now.  The ZCom is just stellar in this head, and feels fantastic.

So, I kind of agree with people here. If distance is your main goal, you won't hit a 905 a lot longer than the 983s.  But, if you want forgiveness, the 905 is definately easier to hit.  At least, to me it is. I think the 983 is a good driver, the 905 is just a little better.

Hilg

24157[/snapback]

Did you go up a degree in loft, stay the same, or go down? I'm using a 10.5* E and am moving to the S, but no stores in my area allow demoing w/o tape on the face....

Stayed the same. Went from a 9.5* 983E with Speeder 952 X to the 9.5* 905S with ZCom BW65 X. Flight is similar, but the ZCom is just a hair less spinning, so the flight is a little longer if anything. Not much, but if I catch one hot, they carry forever. But, very similar launch between them.

Hilg

24345[/snapback]

I have now tried the 905T with a Reg NV65, Stiff NV85, the 4560 and a Stiff YS6+. None will get my good old LFE out of the bag. The head appears draw biased, I couldn't hit a fade with the NV65 or YS6+, instead the ball just ballooned. Both my playing partners use 983Ks and they are also underwhelmed.

However the 904s are excellent.

What are the main differences between the 905T or 905S and the 983K..?

Is the price difference worth it? I hear a lot of people are sticking with their K's after testing the 905 series...?

24091[/snapback]

Try another Shaft.. I have a 9.5 905T with Graffaloy Pro-Launch stiff..my last driver also switched shafts (Graffaloy Blue stiff) \To me the shaft makes it either good or great.

Hilg

24157[/snapback]

Well said!

I was in the minority using the 983E with a NV 65-S shaft. I did not like the K. Previous drivers for me were the 975D, 975J and 975JVS all with EI70 S shafts.

My 905S with NV 65-S shaft is very forgiving and I have no distance issues with it. I can hit it high, low, with a little fade but no hook. It will be in the bag until I get my hands on the 460cc version. I saw one of the Euros on the range with in at the International and he was just killing it!

• 5 years later...

Had to bring up an old topic for some. Anyway, I never played Titleist driver's until last year and my first model was the 983K. Incredible driver and every bit as forgiving as today's 460cc models but in a smaller package. For the past year, I often wondered if the 983E or 905S was a better stick. Well, a few weeks ago I bought an "E" model and it played alright but it did not live up to hype of producing a more boring flight - also not very forgiving on mishits. Now I just bought a [u][i]905S[/i][/u] and this is even more interesting. Although the head is [u][i]400cc[/i][/u] (983K is 365cc) it [u][i]lacks forgiveness big time for it's size[/i][/u]. Although I'm going to reshaft it for the heck of it, I'm hear to tell you that the [b]983K IS KING[/b] and I really can't see why anyone would prefer the 983E or 905S over it. I can't speak for the 905R or T models but I wouldn't expect them to measure up too.

Handicap:  3

[quote name='Buzzkill' timestamp='1285294659' post='2711482']
Had to bring up an old topic for some. Anyway, I never played Titleist driver's until last year and my first model was the 983K. Incredible driver and every bit as forgiving as today's 460cc models but in a smaller package. For the past year, I often wondered if the 983E or [b]905S[/b] was a better stick. Well, a few weeks ago I bought an "E" model and it played alright but it did not live up to hype of producing a more boring flight - also not very forgiving on mishits. Now I just bought a [u][i]905S[/i][/u] and this is even more interesting. Although the head is [u][i]400cc[/i][/u] (983K is 365cc) it [u][i]lacks forgiveness big time for it's size[/i][/u]. [b]Although I'm going to reshaft it[/b] for the heck of it, I'm hear to tell you that the [b]983K IS KING[/b] and I really can't see why anyone would prefer the 983E or 905S over it. I can't speak for the 905R or T models but I wouldn't expect them to measure up too.
[/quote]

Well I reshafted the 905S (8.5 loft) - I installed a Speeder 569 with blue graphics. I played with it today and was really surprised with the flight. I was expecting the the flight to be high but it has worked out as a low/med combo which is great for me. Granted, it's only been one round but the club has the potential of sharing the bag with my 983K. Anyway the 569 isn't a high launch & high spin shaft for me with this configuration.

[quote name='Buzzkill' timestamp='1285964815' post='2723763']
[quote name='Buzzkill' timestamp='1285294659' post='2711482']
Had to bring up an old topic for some. Anyway, I never played Titleist driver's until last year and my first model was the 983K. Incredible driver and every bit as forgiving as today's 460cc models but in a smaller package. For the past year, I often wondered if the 983E or [b]905S[/b] was a better stick. Well, a few weeks ago I bought an "E" model and it played alright but it did not live up to hype of producing a more boring flight - also not very forgiving on mishits. Now I just bought a [u][i]905S[/i][/u] and this is even more interesting. Although the head is [u][i]400cc[/i][/u] (983K is 365cc) it [u][i]lacks forgiveness big time for it's size[/i][/u]. [b]Although I'm going to reshaft it[/b] for the heck of it, I'm hear to tell you that the [b]983K IS KING[/b] and I really can't see why anyone would prefer the 983E or 905S over it. I can't speak for the 905R or T models but I wouldn't expect them to measure up too.
[/quote]

Well I reshafted the 905S (8.5 loft) - I installed a Speeder 569 with blue graphics. I played with it today and was really surprised with the flight. I was expecting the the flight to be high but it has worked out as a low/med combo which is great for me. Granted, it's only been one round but the club has the potential of sharing the bag with my 983K. Anyway the 569 isn't a high launch & high spin shaft for me with this configuration.
[/quote]

I've played a few rounds now with the 905S with a speeder 569. The club is working great and flight is low/mid. I've decided to put in my bag since it goes hand in hand with my irons - both are demanding. [b]The 983K is a better driver though[/b] and I encourage anyway to try one.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='in4mationHI' timestamp='1123520165' post='24101']
My 983e was much better than my 905. The 905 always ballooned, and wasn't any better than my 983. The way i see it is that you might as well buy a 983 and save your money, b/c it's a much better driver than the 905. Just my opinion.
[/quote] Are you sure the 905 didn't just have a higher launching shaft in it?

I went from the 983K with a stock Speeder S flex shaft to the 905T with a YS-6 S flex shaft. I realllly wish I would have waited for the 905R to come out because I have only heard great things about that club. It's the first 460cc Titleist head and it's basically the 983K but more forgiving and a little hotter off the face.

I really liked the YS-6 shaft in the 905T though, great club, went pretty straight, just not super far. I really hated the Speeder in my 983K, way too flimsy of a shaft and it launched really low. The K was definitely a game changing club, but it's a bit outdated now.

[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Driver:[/b] [i]Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5° w/ 65g Tour Stiff Flex[/i][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]3 wood:[/b] [i]Titleist 917F2 16.5° w/ Diamana Blueboard 70s+ Stiff Flex[/i][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Hybrid:[/b] [i]Titleist 915H 21° w/ Diamana Blueboard 70s+ HY Stiff Flex[/i][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]4-PW:[/b] [i]Mizuno MP5s w/ Project X 6.0 Shafts[/i][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Wedges:[/b] [i]50.12F 54.10S 60.08M Vokey SM6 Jet Black[/i][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Putter:[/b] [i]Odyssey Tour Designs Black Milled #9 w/ SuperStroke Fatso 5.0[/i][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Ball:[/b] [i]Titleist Pro V1x[/i][/font][/size]

[quote name='in4mationHI' timestamp='1123520165' post='24101']
My 983e was much better than my 905. The 905 always ballooned, and wasn't any better than my 983. The way i see it is that you might as well buy a 983 and save your money, b/c it's a much better driver than the 905. Just my opinion.
[/quote] Titleist says the 905S is lower spin than the 983E. What do you think?