2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Adams a12 OS Irons: a Review

Sean2

Thank You GolfWRX and Adams Golf!
From Adams Golf
The newest generation of the Idea family, the Idea a12 OS hybrid irons are built with ultra thin faces, perimeter weighting and low CG's throughout the set.

For the first time in a hybrid club, the Idea a12 OS hybrid utilizes Velocity Slot Technology to produce a spring-like effect across the entire face, which improves forgiveness and increases launch angle without increasing spin; this combined with the ultra thin face produces higher ball speeds increasing distance.

The Idea a12 OS set also includes redesigned Transitional Hybrids with a "Truss Back" design allowing more weight to be distributed to the perimeter of the club lowering the center of gravity making them optimally suited for bridging the gap between the hybrids and the deep undercut cavity-back irons of the set.

First Impressions

This is a great looking set of super game improvement irons/hybrids. The irons are a combination of chrome and brushed silver with a black and red badging giving it a muscular look inspiring confidence. The topline is what you would expect in a super game improvement iron.

Thy hybrids incorporate the same color scheme on the sole of the club, while the face is entirely brushed silver. The crown is black. The hybrids also include the Adams Velocity Slot Technology. The hybrids offer a nice blend of size and minimal offset, not being overly large, yet large enough to inspire confidence off the tee or off the fairway/rough for those longer shots.

Each head is a bit different in size in both the irons and hybrids. In the irons the gap wedge has the largest head and each iron thereafter gets progressively smaller. With the hybrids, the 4-hybrid has the largest head and the 5 and 6 each a bit smaller, respectively.

The shaft is a Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 60.

Here are some pictures:

7-iron through Gap Wedge

Gap Wedge through 7-iron

Hybrids: 4 through 6 and vice versa

Here is the shaft for both irons and hybrids

Here are the headcovers for the hybrids. They are very well made and sleek looking.

The grip, which is like a Crossline/Tour Velvet. It's very tacky and has a great feel.

The 7-iron and 5-hybrid in the fairway

The 7-iron and 5-hybrid in the rough

First Range Session

I started with the gap wedge and hit a few chips/pitches to warm up. At set-up the club looked a bit large, but that's what I expected with a super game improvement iron. I currently play the Adams Idea Tech V3 so this was actually a tad smaller for me. The club felt solid and the ball flew nicely off the club face.

I started taking some full shots with each club working my way through each one starting with the gap wedge. Two things I noticed immediately: 1) the trajectory was nice and high, and 2) I was getting more distance. Regarding the first point, the ball wasn't ballooning it just had a very nice trajectory. As to the second point, I was hitting the ball a good five yards further with each iron. At first I thought it might be a stronger lofted set, but when I got home I checked and the lofts and they are very similar to my current set.

When I hit the ball on the sweet spot the ball rocketed off the club face with a nice, high, boring trajectory that landed softly. I hadn't hit shots like these before.

The club feels really solid when you hit one on the sweet spot. And, when you miss one you know it. I though this was a real plus in both cases. I like the fact that you can get feedback, good and bad, with an SGI club.

I was able to hit a few shots out of the rough with the gap and pitching wedges before it started raining. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't lose a lot of distance and was still able to get the ball in the air, which is something I've struggled with out of the rough. I hope that works with the other irons as well.

I also noticed the a12's are more forgiving than most other irons I've ever hit (and I go through a lot of clubs, like many of us do on GolfWRX). THAT SAID, you still have to be able to put a decent swing on the ball to get good results. No club will cure a bad swing.

After one range session I think Adams has another winner here. It's still early days yet, and I need to put these club through the paces on the golf course under varying conditions, which I plan to do and report back.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review...very informative..especially from someone who is currently playing a really great Adams set!

Did you find the overall look of these to fit your eye better? in general, or something very specific?

I have found on the fairways that the velocity slot gave them a touch softer feel to me, are the hybrids the same?

Thanks again for the review....great job!

Enjoy the clubs!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1316753429' post='3584349']
Great review...very informative..especially from someone who is currently playing a really great Adams set!

Did you find the overall look of these to fit your eye better? in general, or something very specific?

I have found on the fairways that the velocity slot gave them a touch softer feel to me, are the hybrids the same?

Thanks again for the review....great job!

Enjoy the clubs!
[/quote]
Thanks Dscvrr, I appreciate it!

I find the a12 irons fit my eye better then the V3's. Specifically they are less bulky and I like the finish better. Adams is upfront that the finish will wear off on the V3's, but I'm very particular about how my clubs look.

The a12 hybrids are quite a bit larger than the V3 hybrids. Please see my next post for an update on the hybrids. :-)

[color="#FF0000"][b]Adams a12 OS Irons: the Hybrids[/b][/color]

I was able to spend a little more time with the hybrids today. They come in 4, 5, and 6 configurations. The lofts are 22º, 25º, and 28º respectively. As I said in the first post, the 4 is the largest hybrid, the 5 is a bit smaller, and the 6 smaller still (please see the photographs in the first post). That said, the a12's are still a bit larger than the V3 hybrids of the same configuration.

[b]Looks[/b]: these hybrids have a great look. They are larger enough to give you confidence as you set up to the ball, but small enough where you feel you can go after it as well. I was a bit concerned that the velocity slot may be a distraction, but it wasn't at all. I really like the way the hybrids set up to the ball: minimal offset and square to open, so I wasn't concerned about hooking the ball, which is a first for me when it comes to hybrids. I felt very confident over the ball.

[b]Feel[/b]: the ball has a great feel coming off the club head. Very solid, with a great sound; not tinny at all. When you hit the center of the club face the ball really takes off...a nice, high, piercing trajectory.

[b]Tee[/b]: this is a great club off the tee, whether on longer par 3's or tight par 4's. These hybrids inspire a lot of confidence.

[b]Fairway[/b]: I played the ball in the middle of my stance like I would any iron, and hit down on the ball like I would with any iron. I was very pleased how the ball responded and how it felt and sounded: good trajectory and good distance.

[b]Rough[/b]: the club really surprised me here. I hit a 5-hybrid out of a wet lie in the rough and the ball took off with a nice high trajectory and great distance.

[b]Conclusion[/b]: I find the a12 hybrids much easier to hit then mid to long irons. They offer more consistent shot making, distance, trajectory, and results.

I had the opportunity to play another round with the a12's today.

The irons: the first word that comes to mind are "hot". These irons have lots of pop. I airmailed three greens on approaches with the a12's. I'm not only surprised at how far I hit these irons, but how crisp I hit them as well. My regular playing partner commented on how much better I hit these irons then my previous ones.

The hybrids: these are great off the tee. Like the irons these are "hot". Lots of distance, great trajectory, and straight. I didn't have the opportunity to hit them off the fairway today.

I still hit my share of poor shots, and no club is a silver bullet. You still have to put a good swing on the ball to get good results, but the a12's offer a degree of forgiveness that the majority of golfers will find appealing.

[color="#FF0000"][b]a12 OS Update[/b][/color]

Played 18 today.

The a12's continue to impress. The irons are long and feel solid with a well stuck shot. I hit a couple off the toe and was surprised at how straight and far the ball went.

The hybrids also continue to perform well off the tee, the fairway, and the rough. For me I find their performance out the the rough to be especially outstanding, which is where I've always struggled: good distance and ball flight.

I hit a 5-hybrid out of a fairway bunker, the ball being fairly close to the lip, and the ball flew off the face with a nice high trajectory. I didn't make the green, but got a lot closer than I thought I would.

Do you normally use a 5 and 6 hybrid?

I play with a guy who loves his older A3's. They really are a nice set of irons, not chunky, but still plenty of tech in them. He's a good player, infact, he's a high single digit. He hates his 5 hybrid, and wishes he could have gotten an iron. Fairway bunker shots and rough, he just hates using it.

I know it would defeat the purpose of the sets OEM's are making these days, but it would be nice if they allowed you to make your own SGI combo set up..

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1317438690' post='3610385']

I know it would defeat the purpose of the sets OEM's are making these days, but it would be nice if they allowed you to make your own SGI combo set up..
[/quote]

With this a12OS set, you can.

From what I have been told, Adams will offer a 5 iron and a 6 iron for this set that are built like the 7 and 8 irons.
This set in most shops will come with 3 hybrids (4,5,6) but you can order it with as few as 1 if you did a 4-GW set with the 4 being hybrid, the 5-8 being hollow irons, and the 9-GW being cavity backs.

I'm considering a 3h,4h, 5-GW set in these for myself.

I've only tried the 4 hybrid, 7 iron and PW in this set but I was amazed at the distance, straightness, and all out forgiveness these clubs offered. I was stunned with the touch I got from the PW too on less than full swings.
They are going to go over HUGE i think.

i have a set of adams V3 2h,4h-6h, 7 semi-hybrid., 8-GW with the stock graphite R shafts and a set of adams CB2 5-GW which i reshafted with adams pro-launch HL graphite R shafts..

i comboed the V3 4h-6h and the CB2 7-GW as my gamers and the combination is working out pretty nicely..

i recently tried carrying the V3 7 semi-hybrid also to find out what differences there are compared to the CB2 7 iron and so far not too much on my good swings..

do you think i would gain anything signficant with these new A12 OS vs my present set-up?

i am 66 and a 9 hdcp(got as low as a 3) and my driver SS is 95-98mph and have been playing golf for 53 years--and counting..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1317438690' post='3610385']
Do you normally use a 5 and 6 hybrid?

I play with a guy who loves his older A3's. They really are a nice set of irons, not chunky, but still plenty of tech in them. He's a good player, infact, he's a high single digit. He hates his 5 hybrid, and wishes he could have gotten an iron. Fairway bunker shots and rough, he just hates using it.

[/quote]
I like the 5 and 6 hybrids. I find them easier to hit out of the rough and fairway bunkers than 5 and 6-irons. But that's just me. I get more elevation and I'm surprised at the distance as well.

I checked Adams website but I don't know if you can make your own combo set, as Skip suggested.

[quote name='jmvargas' timestamp='1317442365' post='3610555']
i have a set of adams V3 2h,4h-6h, 7 semi-hybrid., 8-GW with the stock graphite R shafts and a set of adams CB2 5-GW which i reshafted with adams pro-launch HL graphite R shafts..

i comboed the V3 4h-6h and the CB2 7-GW as my gamers and the combination is working out pretty nicely..

i recently tried carrying the V3 7 semi-hybrid also to find out what differences there are compared to the CB2 7 iron and so far not too much on my good swings..

do you think i would gain anything signficant with these new A12 OS vs my present set-up?

i am 66 and a 9 hdcp(got as low as a 3) and my driver SS is 95-98mph and have been playing golf for 53 years--and counting..
[/quote]
I can't really say JM. I'm 56 myself and can tell you that recently I played the V3's. Personally I like the a12 OS's better. I like the way the hybrid's look and set up, their distance, I find them easier to hit out of the rough and fairway bunkers, and they are a bit longer as well. As to the irons those are definitely longer and I like the look better. My HI is a 10.6 and my SS is a bit less than yours.

[color="#FF0000"][b]Adams a12 OS Update[/b][/color]

I wanted to say a few words about the Gap Wedge. This is an extremely versatile club and very easy to hit. It's great on full swing, but it really shines on three-quarter, half, quarter, pitch, and chip shots. I've used this club to great affect in a variety of situations:

--50 yard shots from the fairway or out of the rough
--long chip shots from the fairway
--70 yard shots out of the rough, etc.

This is a very solid, versatile club. The sole seems to be designed to allow the golfer to play the club from a variety of lies, be they in heavy rough, the fairway, or a bunker. I wish I had the sand and lob wedges to test as well. I'd be very curious to see how these clubs respond out a variety of situations around the green. In any case, the a12 OS gap wedge has been very impressive.

[attachment=869395:000_0241.JPG]
[attachment=869397:000_0242.JPG]
[attachment=869399:000_0243.JPG]

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1317494409' post='3612077']

[/quote]
I can't really say JM. I'm 56 myself and can tell you that recently I played the V3's. Personally I like the a12 OS's better. I like the way the hybrid's look and set up, their distance, I find them easier to hit out of the rough and fairway bunkers, and they are a bit longer as well. As to the irons those are definitely longer and I like the look better. My HI is a 10.6 and my SS is a bit less than yours.
[/quote]

..many thanks for the reply sean..

i can see from the GW pics that the sole is very similar to the one on my V3 7 semi-hybrid..

am not a big fan--yet--of that type of sole in the short irons so may stick with my present set-up for now..

i think the shafts are key to any distance gain and it looks like i already have silmilar shafts in my short irons as the A12 OS..

i really like the V3 hybrids both in looks and performance so won't fix what ain't broken there..

in any case Adams makes really great stuff and great review!!

PS..my only beef is the that the black finish of the V3 wears out pretty fast..i can't understand why they just didn't use the same one they use on the CB2 which is so much better..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Another thing I like about Sean's review is I recall some of his posts being about playing blades or musclebacks. And so indirectlly, reading about him now playing the a12 OS shows that good shot makers will hit any kind of irons, and hit them well, as long as they're confident and comfortable with them. And sounds like you really like these new a12 OS Sean. Keep those updates coming, as these appear to be very popular, generating a lot of interest all over the web, and you're sharing some practical and useful hands on information and impressions.

[quote name='jmvargas' timestamp='1317509881' post='3612889']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1317494409' post='3612077']

[/quote]
[/quote]

..many thanks for the reply sean..

i can see from the GW pics that the sole is very similar to the one on my V3 7 semi-hybrid..

am not a big fan--yet--of that type of sole in the short irons so may stick with my present set-up for now..

i think the shafts are key to any distance gain and it looks like i already have silmilar shafts in my short irons as the A12 OS..

i really like the V3 hybrids both in looks and performance so won't fix what ain't broken there..

in any case Adams makes really great stuff and great review!!

PS..my only beef is the that the black finish of the V3 wears out pretty fast..i can't understand why they just didn't use the same one they use on the CB2 which is so much better..
[/quote]
You're welcome JM. I'm happy to hear the V3's are working for you! As to the hybrids, the a12's set-up more square for me. lol

For me the face feels hotter on the a12 irons than the V3's. I like the sole of the shorter irons because it gives me a bit more forgiveness without sacrificing playability. But, that doesn't mean one is better than the other. It's what one prefers. :-)

I agree, Adams makes very great equipment...for all kinds of golfers, and thanks for your kind words! I do agree about the finish on the V3's, though Adams does say it will wear out, I like my clubs to have a "clean" look.

[quote name='The GreekGrind' timestamp='1317513253' post='3613059']
Another thing I like about Sean's review is I recall some of his posts being about playing blades or musclebacks. And so indirectlly, reading about him now playing the a12 OS shows that good shot makers will hit any kind of irons, and hit them well, as long as they're confident and comfortable with them. And sounds like you really like these new a12 OS Sean. Keep those updates coming, as these appear to be very popular, generating a lot of interest all over the web, and you're sharing some practical and useful hands on information and impressions.
[/quote]
Thanks GreekGrind! You have an excellent memory. I have played musclebacks. My most recent set was the Callaway X-Protos. Great clubs. I've played the 2009 X-Forged 2-PW, all kinds of GI's, and now the a12's. I'm willing to try/play any club and have no bias toward one kind of club over another. The more I play the a12's the more I like them. I'll keep posting my impressions on this thread.

I played 18 from the back tees at our club today. It's not long, just a hair over 6,000, but the slope is 127. It's very, very tight with water on every hole, and small greens surrounded by trouble. I shot a 79.

While keeping the ball in play off the tee had a lot to do with it, I hit a number of great iron shots with the a12's. The more I hit these irons the more I like them. We've had quite a bit or rain lately and the fairways were quite soupy, that said I was still able to make solid contact with the ball. The same can be said for the hybrids, though I only hit a couple of those from the fairway.

Again, I'm surprised at how far these clubs go. I've always had a tendency to overclub but with the a12's I actually find myself taking less club on occasion, which is a first for me.

You still have to put a decent swing on the ball, but so far the a12 OS's are proving to be the real deal.

Are these clubs draw-biased at all? The hybrids look like they point left.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1317588545' post='3616005']

I played 18 from the back tees at our club today. It's not long, just a hair over 6,000, but the slope is 127. It's very, very tight with water on every hole, and small greens surrounded by trouble. I shot a 79.

While keeping the ball in play off the tee had a lot to do with it, I hit a number of great iron shots with the a12's. The more I hit these irons the more I like them. We've had quite a bit or rain lately and the fairways were quite soupy, that said I was still able to make solid contact with the ball. The same can be said for the hybrids, though I only hit a couple of those from the fairway.

Again, I'm surprised at how far these clubs go. I've always had a tendency to overclub but with the a12's I actually find myself taking less club on occasion, which is a first for me.

You still have to put a decent swing on the ball, but so far the a12 OS's are proving to be the real deal.
[/quote]

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

[quote name='Muddler' timestamp='1317609565' post='3617327']
Are these clubs draw-biased at all? The hybrids look like they point left.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1317588545' post='3616005']

[/quote]
[/quote]
No, they aren't. I feel they set-up square, which is another thing I like about them. :-)

Hmmm. I still really like these clubs. In fact, I recently ordered the sand wedge and lob wedge.

The irons are long, accurate, and forgiving, as are the hybrids. I've taken a couple of lessons recently, which only enhance the performance of the a12's. Today I hit a driver, 6-hybrid to a short par 5. No way! Granted, I still have to put a good swing on the ball, but when I do the ball just rockets off the club face.

I've hit a few off the toe and was surprised that I didn't lose that much distance, and the ball still went straight.

Sure, I've hit my share of fat and thin shots, and those shots respond they way any fat or thin shot will, but the a12's do offer a measure of forgiveness that will mask some minor sins that will shave some strokes off your game. I've broken 80 a couple of times since I've started testing the a12's, and have more confidence when I'm standing over a shot.

I'm still testing the a12's, as well as incorporating swing changes, but so far it's been a great combination. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='maskedman' timestamp='1319554234' post='3715561']
Sean2, your review has me intrigued. It looks like you have graphite in all clubs, which is what I would do if I were to purchase these. Can you speak to the shaft? R or S or Sr flex? One other question - did you compare these with the Redline set?
[/quote]
Maskedman, the shafts are graphite in regular flex. They are an excellent shaft (Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue). Nice feel, trajectory, and pop.

I had the opportunity to hit the Redlines recently. Overall I give a bit of a nod to the Redlines. I like the hybrids a bit better...how they look. As to the irons I like the finish on the Redlines (no chrome). With just a limited trial I hit the Redlines a tad further. But that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. :-)

• 4 months later...

Just finished reading this thread, found it on a search for these clubs. I've recently taken up the game again after about a 5 year hiatus. I was playing to about a 16 handicap using a set of Ping I3s. I've never been confident using a long iron, even my 5.

The other night I was hitting my friend's Burner 2.0 and really liked them. Especially the hybrids. However, those clubs are getting hard to find and the TM HP Burners don't appear to be of the same quality.

I plan on hitting some of these A12 OS this weekend and if I like them I'll be purchasing a set to replace my I3s. I have the I3s in a steel shaft (JZ stiff I believe) and plan on moving to graphite if I go with the A12s. I'll probably also order the SW as well.

Thanks for the review, enjoy the read.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360