Golf Shops to visit in SD/LA area

AP2 712

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Redpro' timestamp='1322926830' post='3885343']
[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1322843865' post='3880887']
Can anybody comment on Roger Dunn in West LA (Bundy Drive)?
It will be the shop which will be the easiest for me to go to in the first few days of my vacation in April. Rather than taking my own clubs or renting clubs, I thought about buying used or clearance clubs for the four weeks I will be in the US.
Would this be a good place to go for that?
[/quote]
Best thing about the Dunn store in west LA is Kevin Moore the club repair guy. Make sure you see and talk to him just a bit about anything golf and golf experience related. Yes, it is realistic to get the clubs you need there, but the used club prices are high retail mark-up.....but lots of drivers, wedges, hybrids, putters and iron sets to choose from. That said, try to see a store manager and try making an offer on a used set you'd want to play with....often it will just sit there and not be purchased unless someone does make a realistic, but lower offer. After all, they get sick of staring at the used clubs in inventory and would like to move it out the door. Cash flow in retail, you know? If you can make it to Pasadena, see Crown City Golf on Green Street. Richard has many used clubs at $29, $39, $49, $59, $69, etc. It's a small shop but I picked up two Vokey spin milled wedges there with Steefiber shafts in them for $59 each and a TM R510TP w/Speeder shaft for $49!! Also, he is currently having a sale of 20-30% off of those used club prices!! Best of luck and have a great visit!
[/quote]

Thank you, this is very helpful.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Golfsmith Misson valley... Got 2 Travis mathew shirts for 40 each after using the golfsmith coupon I got yesterday @ the chevron. Better prices at these stores than the RD stores.
Headed over to fairway after the giants game
I did like the Scotty and vokey wedges they had at golf mart but there are better deals to be had on the bst forum....nonetheless it's nice to see this stuff

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='PutterKilledTheDream' timestamp='1353172824' post='5946911']
Fairway Golf in SD....by far much more aftermarket options and educated employees. They've got alot of higher-end Japanese brands and lots of exotic shaft options for demoing. Better players retailer without a doubt in the San Diego area.
[/quote]

Yes but poor pricing...better deals found on the BST forum

[quote name='AP2 712' timestamp='1353180314' post='5947275']
Fairway Golf in SD....by far much more aftermarket options and educated employees. They've got alot of higher-end Japanese brands and lots of exotic shaft options for demoing. Better players retailer without a doubt in the San Diego area.
[/quote]

[/quote]
That's not the fairest comparison to make.

[quote name='Jeembo' timestamp='1353354178' post='5954523']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

$165+ for SC headcovers... $4,000 for Circle T putters....$56 for Scotty Cameron T-shirts ***STILL IN STOCK WITH THE STUDIO STORE****

I think it's a pretty fair statement when you set your prices that much higher than what they go for! I get it that they are a sponsor on the site but they have turned me off with their pricing... you are better off not advertising prices that are over the top

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1322860675' post='3882037']
[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1322845438' post='3881001']
[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1322843865' post='3880887']
Can anybody comment on Roger Dunn in West LA (Bundy Drive)?
It will be the shop which will be the easiest for me to go to in the first few days of my vacation in April. Rather than taking my own clubs or renting clubs, I thought about buying used or clearance clubs for the four weeks I will be in the US.
Would this be a good place to go for that?
[/quote]

The West LA store is not as stocked as the Santa Ana store, but it is RD's second biggest store. Lots of demo'ed and used stuff in there to choose from. The North Hollywood store is brand new and they've got a decent selection of used as well, though not as much as WLA.
[/quote]

Do I have a chance to get a driver, a 4- or 5-wood, irons 4-PW, a 54° or 56° wedge and a putter (11 clubs in all) in decent condition for about $ 500 there?
I was hoping it should be possible to get away with
Driver $ 100
Fairway wood $ 70
Irons $ 250
Wedge $ 50
Putter $ 50
That would be $ 520 total.
Is that realistic for something in decent condition?
I can play pretty much everything, as long as the irons do not have ProjectX shafts, the driver has a loft of at least 10.5° and the woods do not have Graffaloy pro launch shafts in them.
[/quote]

I think that is totally realistic. I shop at that store all the time and love it. If you put a set together and tell them you'll give them $500 for it I'm sure they'll work with you as long as you aren't picking all of the best condition latest model clubs out of the bins.

No idea on retail pricepoints....I, surprisingly, just rolled in there for the first time last week. Didn't really dive into the pricing, just looked at their offerings. I'm positive they're more suited to cater to the better player category though, the SD competitors are a complete joke when it comes to clubfitting, equipment knowledge.

Even GolfMart or Stadium Golf Center? I am surprised to hear that although I was at both places browsing

You can see their pricing on their website... I was very fond of this store after my first visit but after seeing their pricing online... I was quickly turned off by that...It's mainly their Cameron stuff as the other stuff doesn't have such a markup.

[quote name='AP2 712' timestamp='1353366791' post='5955475']
Even GolfMart or Stadium Golf Center? I am surprised to hear that although I was at both places browsing

You can see their pricing on their website... I was very fond of this store after my first visit but after seeing their pricing online... I was quickly turned off by that...It's mainly their Cameron stuff as the other stuff doesn't have such a markup.
[/quote]Golf Mart has the biggest selection, but i've literally walked out of there laughing hearing some of what's put out by the salespeople. Not really sure about Stadium, I know Coleman ( fitter) and he's a good guy, just don't trust or care for the data given by Foresight GC2 monitors. All the shops use these monitors, I, as you can see by my avatar, only trust data from TrackMan.

[quote name='PutterKilledTheDream' timestamp='1353472166' post='5961027']
[quote name='AP2 712' timestamp='1353366791' post='5955475']

[/quote]Golf Mart has the biggest selection, but i've literally walked out of there laughing hearing some of what's put out by the salespeople. Not really sure about Stadium, I know Coleman ( fitter) and he's a good guy, just don't trust or care for the data given by Foresight GC2 monitors. All the shops use these monitors, I, as you can see by my avatar, only trust data from TrackMan.
[/quote]

What golf mart did you go to? I go to the mission valley store a lot and the salesmen there seem very knowledgable in the clubs that are sold.

As for used clubs they usually are very willing to work with customers that want to buy.

Mission Valley...i've been going there for years, but I have a pretty extensive background in the industry in general. Don't trust any data you get from those monitors. They've got alot of 'off the shelf' set ups, but really nothing custom, especially for demoing. My point was in reference to the 'lower handicap' players, Fairway has better offerings.

[quote name='PutterKilledTheDream' timestamp='1353529233' post='5963289']
Mission Valley...i've been going there for years, but I have a pretty extensive background in the industry in general. Don't trust any data you get from those monitors. They've got alot of 'off the shelf' set ups, but really nothing custom, especially for demoing. My point was in reference to the 'lower handicap' players, Fairway has better offerings.
[/quote]

That's strange, I've been going to that store for years and with those new GC2's I get the same numbers as I do on the golf course. And any time I want something custom I go back to the repair shop there and they seem to have tons of stuff that you can't find anywhere else in SD. Plus the work is top notch.

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

Also, does that fact that you said in another thread that you're the only Trackman professional in SD have anything to do with what you said above?

[quote name='Farrow' timestamp='1354809437' post='6027249']
[/quote]

Also, does that fact that you said in another thread that you're the only Trackman professional in SD have anything to do with what you said above?
[/quote] not at all.....places like Golf Mart are the primary reason I bought a Trackman, because as a scratch level golfer I got tired of being fleeced by false information. I would have preferred to save 15K, but went with what was ACTUALLY accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='AP2 712' timestamp='1353355305' post='5954593']
[quote name='Jeembo' timestamp='1353354178' post='5954523']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

$165+ for SC headcovers... $4,000 for Circle T putters....$56 for Scotty Cameron T-shirts ***STILL IN STOCK WITH THE STUDIO STORE****

I think it's a pretty fair statement when you set your prices that much higher than what they go for! I get it that they are a sponsor on the site but they have turned me off with their pricing... you are better off not advertising prices that are over the top
[/quote]

Thanks for stopping by our shop AP2712. Always great to see fellow GolfWRXers in our shops.

We actually price match any authorized retailer on all our products. Unfortunately with the Scotty Cameron products the price is set higher than you might see elsewhere because of an agreement we have. We would love to mark everything down and do more business but things don't always work out the way you want it to.

We been open and in business since 1991 on the same street here in San Diego and we actually had a great relationship with Scotty Cameron since 1991 before he joined Titleist.

Hopefully see you around again soon,

RYAN

[b]Fairway Golf Online Store[/b] :golfer:
Website: [url="http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com"]http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com[/url]
Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
Instagram:[url="https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/"]https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/[/url]
Phone: 1-619-702-1702