2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

How is Mizuno regarded in the JDM world?

Geohans

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizuno is not a boutique operation in Japan, as a whole in Japan, inclusive of other sports besides golf, think of it as a Nike to Japan, would consider them large on the JDM scale also, competing with the likes of tourstage and srixon

Taylormade Brnr 11.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li blue 60
Callaway Paradym 3 Hybrid
4-5 Mizuno MP-27 KBS c-taper lite s
6-PW Mizuno MP-63 KBS c-taper r+
50.07, 54.12, 58.10 Mizuno MP-T5 ttdg w
Ping Ketsch

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1322431328' post='3858597']
And the quality of their golf equipment? Sort of like Nike is here as well?
[/quote]

Careful now...:diablo:.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

The way it was recently explained to me by a very reputable fitter who specializes in JDM gear goes something like this (and please don't shoot the messenger!):

Epon - best of the best
Miura - darned good, but not the same gold standard as Epon
Mizuno - thought to be more of a mass produced product, but still better than most of the US gear

Full disclosure...I am an Epon freak, but only because I've hit them side by side with the above and there is truly no comparison.

[quote name='Swisstrader' timestamp='1322434670' post='3858871']
The way it was recently explained to me by a very reputable fitter who specializes in JDM gear goes something like this (and please don't shoot the messenger!):

Epon - best of the best
Mizuno - thought to be more of a mass produced product, but still better than most of the US gear

Full disclosure...I am an Epon freak, but only because I've hit them side by side with the above and there is truly no comparison.
[/quote]

Kind of a biased post !!! All of these manufacturers are well known and liked in Japan
as well as the rest of the world. Mizuno is a 100 + year old company !! Don't dismiss
the fact that the size and manufacturer of different sporting goods makes them any
less of a fine maker of golf equipment !!!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Srixon and Bridgestone are popular brands, and Mizuno would be a little less popular. Srixon and Bridgestone spend the most money to sponsor players and on advertising. It's rare to see anyone in Japan playing Epon or Miura. There's no negative image to Mizuno. The old T-Zoids were very popular for many years in Japan.

Brands rise and fall. Mizuno irons are more popular among more serious players, but game improvement is king. The ratio of younger players in Japan is small. Population is aging so fast that the population will decline by about 30 million people over the next 40 years. Older players are not going to be playing Mizuno irons, so I expect Mizuno will decline significantly in popularity in Japan.

Added: Mizuno just started a new ad campaign that they're bringing some manufacturing back to Japan and using that craftsmanship angle to try to boost sales.

[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1322441407' post='3859335']

Epon - best of the best
Mizuno - thought to be more of a mass produced product, but still better than most of the US gear Full disclosure...I am an Epon freak, but only because I've hit them side by side with the above and there is truly no comparison.
[/quote]
Kind of a biased post !!! All of these manufacturers are well known and liked in Japan
as well as the rest of the world. Mizuno is a 100 + year old company !! Don't dismiss
the fact that the size and manufacturer of different sporting goods makes them any
less of a fine maker of golf equipment !!![/quote]

Yup, that's why I said "full disclosure". I'm also not judging by the size of the company, just what I've been told and how the clubs play.

If you've never hit an Epon, you would not know (reverse bias!!)

mizuno have the same amt of irons in the shops as most other big brands,
it helps they prob have oodles of models t aswell.
theres literally trillions of them , have to wade thru shelves of m- somethiong-or-others
the big companies here are yamaha, xxio, tourstage ,srixon, mizuno.
id guess that would prob equate to 95% ish of the maket if not more.
u see mizzys all over the palce in peoples bags on courses.

they are as wellregarded as anything else here, is say.
but as above almost all of them are players irons of differnt shapes.
the tourstge yamaha xxio guys basically sew up the GI sector from my observations

especially XXIO they are supreme in this sector.
funny tho i never look at mizzy ever when i go searching for irons. ive palyed the mp-68 beautiful and soft , but they didnt do it for me.

owari !

Epon - best of the best

[/quote]

I like some of the Epon irons -- I think they use newer technology than Miura. Having hit or owned all of the Epons irons at one time or another, the feel is definitely crisper than Miura. The Miura heads look better than Epons in the GI irons - more fluid, less bulky, more player-like. I found ball speed with Miura was higher when you find the right head-shaft combo.

It's all a matter of taste. If you're into techno gear and crisp feel, you'll slide to Epon. If you like subtle changes to tradition and a softer, more solid feel, you'll side to Miura.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Well stated...I got on a trakman and there was a discernible difference in ball speed between the Epons and everything else. I'm terrible at remembering numbers but I believe the Epons were 4 mph faster with a 6 iron than the Miuras.

I initially went into the fitter saying I wanted Miuras and walked out with a set of Epons, a brand I had hardly heard of just 2 short hours prior.

[quote name='SwingMan' timestamp='1322480097' post='3860847']

Epon - best of the best

[/quote]
I like some of the Epon irons -- I think they use newer technology than Miura. Having hit or owned all of the Epons irons at one time or another, the feel is definitely crisper than Miura. The Miura heads look better than Epons in the GI irons - more fluid, less bulky, more player-like. I found ball speed with Miura was higher when you find the right head-shaft combo.

It's all a matter of taste. If you're into techno gear and crisp feel, you'll slide to Epon. If you like subtle changes to tradition and a softer, more solid feel, you'll side to Miura.
[/quote]

[quote name='infernomachine' timestamp='1322484718' post='3860909']
anyone on tour playing miuras or epon?
[/quote]

Not a ton of professionals getting endorsement deals from the smaller Epon or Miura, although many of the actual forgings for the pros are straight from Miuras foundry in Japan which tells you something about the quality. Goosen won the 2001 US Open w Miuras, Olazabel won the Masters years ago w Miuras, Woosnam won the 1991 Masters w Miuras. And if you google Tiger Woods and Miura, you'll see exactly where he's had his irons forged.

I'm also not a believer in the adage of "tell me which pros use them" to prove or disprove the worth of a club. Endorsement deals drive a lot of decision making for pros vs best quality equipment and both Epon and Miura have gone on record basically saying they dont pay pros to play their gear. I'm not a tour pro. I just your every day hack who wants to take every advantage in equipment and for me that's the Epons.

More info below on pros using Miura's.....

http://www.miuragolf.../avid-oct07.pdf

[/quote]
Does it matter? We are talking about quality, not quantities.......that's like saying FERRARI is not not as good of car as ANY OF GM's CAR because you dont see them on the road that often? Just saying....... Sorry if I offended anyone or the analogy is not right....

Im a mizuno iron player.They make awesome irons.Wedges are ok.Everything else is average.

Mizuno caters for all handicap levels in their irons which Taylormade nike cleveland bridgestone dont do as well Imo.

Mp 52 are my choice and lovem. I have hit mp 53 57 67 and mp 63. Love the distance and feel.

Tip.Mizuno heads play and feel better with slightly lighter shafts.Nippons kbs 90 are perfect.

[/quote]

...my idol--KJ Choi--plays miuras!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Epon - best of the best

[/quote]

Man you're going to wear out that Epon horn you're blowing. Remember different people get different results, I had some 502s and wanted to love them but they didn't feel near as good or fly as well as the Miura 301s I had before them. I also had a set of 202s that I didn't like as much as the 301s. Considering Mizuno's are about half the price of Epons and Miura's they certainly have a market and a large loyal following and I'd have them over all US OEM irons.

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1

[quote name='potuna' timestamp='1322521511' post='3863267']

Epon - best of the best
[/quote]
Man you're going to wear out that Epon horn you're blowing. Remember different people get different results, I had some 502s and wanted to love them but they didn't feel near as good or fly as well as the Miura 301s I had before them. I also had a set of 202s that I didn't like as much as the 301s. Considering Mizuno's are about half the price of Epons and Miura's they certainly have a market and a large loyal following and I'd have them over all US OEM irons.
[/quote]

Not quite sure why you're getting testy over my response to the OP's question around how Mizuno is viewed in the JDM world...the guy asked for a point of view and I gave it to him. In fact, was not even my point of view, but the view from the number one JDM club fitter in the US.

The OP's question was not around whether or not there's a market for Mizuno, just how they stack up against other JDM product and I stand by my view that Epons are of higher quality and more highly regarded.

On "the other forum" they conducted a poll as to which is the best forged JDM club out there. Epon had close to 50% of the vote while Mizuno had an anemic 4% of the vote.

More on same below:

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/forum/topic/30414-best-forged-irons-poll/

[/quote]

Ding ding ding ding ding! They don't have to try and look cool to their buddies lol .

I giggle when I read these threads. "Holy grail of golf clubs" "There's no comparing them to another forged club" "Their forging process is the most technologically advanced everr" "EPIC" "I paid $2k for these blades and my handicap went down by 5 over my old MP14's" "Even though the guys at my club had never heard of them and give me 3 a side I could still tell the clubs made me look like a ballin' professional to them when they found out how much they cost" "Tiger would be #1 again if he could afford these"

[quote name='Swisstrader' timestamp='1322526126' post='3863625']

Epon - best of the best
[/quote]
[/quote]

Not quite sure why you're getting testy over my response to the OP's question around how Mizuno is viewed in the JDM world...the guy asked for a point of view and I gave it to him. In fact, was not even my point of view, but the view from the number one JDM club fitter in the US.

The OP's question was not around whether or not there's a market for Mizuno, just how they stack up against other JDM product and I stand by my view that Epons are of higher quality and more highly regarded.

On "the other forum" they conducted a poll as to which is the best forged JDM club out there. Epon had close to 50% of the vote while Mizuno had an anemic 4% of the vote.

More on same below:

[url="http://www.tourspecgolf.com/forum/topic/30414-best-forged-irons-poll/"]http://www.tourspecg...ged-irons-poll/[/url]
[/quote]

Didn't mean to offend or rile you up and you are correct in the JDM market Epons are more highly though of than Mizuno. However I'm not sold on Epon being the gold standard based on the 502s, I guess I need to try the 302s.

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1

No offense taken...my buddy just picked up a set of 302's and thus far not a fan

[quote name='potuna' timestamp='1322531090' post='3864067']
[quote name='Swisstrader' timestamp='1322526126' post='3863625']

[/quote]
[/quote]

More on same below:

[url="http://www.tourspecgolf.com/forum/topic/30414-best-forged-irons-poll/"]http://www.tourspecg...ged-irons-poll/[/url]
[/quote]

Didn't mean to offend or rile you up and you are correct in the JDM market Epons are more highly though of than Mizuno. However I'm not sold on Epon being the gold standard based on the 502s, I guess I need to try the 302s.
[/quote]

This doesn't add much of a wrinkle but there are quite a few brands in Japan that are more commonly found in shops than Miura and Epon that are relatively rarely mentioned. Off the top of my head XXIO, Yamaha, PRGR, Yonex.... Finding Epon and Miura isn't as difficult as it is in the states, however they tend to be more boutique than the previously mentioned and more custom order. Rare to find complete off the rack sets, and in some sense that is probably a good thing.

Taylormade Brnr 11.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li blue 60
Callaway Paradym 3 Hybrid
4-5 Mizuno MP-27 KBS c-taper lite s
6-PW Mizuno MP-63 KBS c-taper r+
50.07, 54.12, 58.10 Mizuno MP-T5 ttdg w
Ping Ketsch