Kenny Perry WITB

easyyy

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dieselG' timestamp='1327965251' post='4180767']
The guy has won 14 times and banked close to $32M on the tour. He has a contract with Adams, so he can play whatever he wants, including custom handmade stuff.

Love the comments on his the aesthetics of his bag, from us armchair quarterbacks on an internet forum.

This bag is what a golf company dreams of. An accomplished tour player playing irons that their target customers could buy and actually be able to play decent golf with.
[/quote]

Agree 100%.

[quote name='smgoldstein' timestamp='1328034689' post='4185575']
Big change going to that Yes putter from his old Ping that he said he loved.
[/quote]

He hasn't been playing that ping putter for a couple years now since the shaft broke off in the putter head. I think he's been trying lots of different putters trying to get one that is "right."

Not a fan of that bag.

And before the next guy comes here and tells me Kenny could whoop my a** with a garden set from a toystore i will say it before they do, he probably could.

Though that doesn't change my opinion of the bag at all.

Are we not entitled to have an opinion without people telling us that we are hacks who couldn't beat Kenny if we were given a 500 handicap?

Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5 Fujikura PRO 62
TM SLRD 3 WOOD
Callaway APEX #3 Hybrid
PING I200 KBS Tour 4-UW
SM6 56 (@55), SM6 60

[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1327983683' post='4182813']
Actually there is an offset. Perry has always played an offset iron on tour. When he played the R7s and the R9s they were the "common" club and not the TP nor the "B".
[/quote]

I had heard about his bag back at the Sony from an Adams employee. When Perry went for his Adams fitting he took the MB2's and the Redlines back home with him for testing. A few days later he phoned back that although he loved the feel of the MB2's and could hit them very easily he loves the look of offset in his irons. The Redlines and it's offset fit his eye better so that's why you see it in his bag. It was probably as big a surprise for the Adams guys that he went with the Redlines as it is to the forum.

For guys that only look at the Redlines and scream UGLY..you might want to hit them before you do that. I thought the same back when they came out but my rep dared me to take a few sticks to the range to test out. They're extremely easy to hit and yes..probably due to the jacked up lofts,they're very long. I can see where Perry might say he feels young again because the guys I went to the range with were all in agreement that they were easily a club to club and a half longer then what we were playing. A friend of mine who is a Pro was hitting 200 easy with the 6 iron.

Sure they are not the look/bling that everyone might want to look at but it's nice to see a guy playing a club because HE likes it and not because he was made to play it.

[quote name='ZJohnson' timestamp='1327990310' post='4183289']
Trust me, these have just as much offset as the normal Redlines.
[/quote]
Which really shouldn't be a surprise. The old TM 320s, the Tour Burners, the R7s, the Burner 2.0s...

Kenny just sits back launches it to the moon, playing his shots exclusively in one direction (99.9% of the time). He doesn't need workability.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='c5driver' timestamp='1327965785' post='4180819']
[quote name='ajm1555' timestamp='1327964568' post='4180673']
That bag is embarrassing! I wonder what brand his driver is, Spalding? But hey, if he hits it straight, who cares? My brother has a 1980's women's wedge in his bag. He's lights out with it.

I just hope Kenny got a good discount in the clearance section of TGW.

[/quote]

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1327964867' post='4180719']
Honestly, that bag and those irons are gross. :sorry:
[/quote]

I must have missed the part about golf that stated you had to have a "pretty golf bag".
[/quote]

Dont go too hard on him, he used to be high up on the bs "who??" g board. You know, where having $340000 bag meant you could post about your 168mph swingspeed :cheesy::tongue::rolleyes::russian_roulette:

Aerojet LS 9*

0311 Gen5 15*

0311 Gen5 19*

223 4-PW 

T5 50*

RTX4 56*

RTX4 60* 

Phantom X 12.5

Have a guess how many Americans are ranked higher than Kenny Perry.

Wrong .

171 - and that's just the Americans, never mind the 201 others from around the World.

I realise he's had a decent career and all, but I don't see what the fascination is with him NOW

Anyway - that's just me - I'm not a fan - I shouldn't have posted - I apologise - carry on...

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1

[quote name='BigPete' timestamp='1328048373' post='4186991']

Wrong .

171 - and that's just the Americans, never mind the 201 others from around the World.

I realise he's had a decent career and all, but I don't see what the fascination is with him NOW

Anyway - that's just me - I'm not a fan - I shouldn't have posted - I apologise - carry on...
[/quote]
He has a set of Game Improvement clubs in his bag. He went from Taylor Made too Adams.
So instead of his old TM R7 and Burner game improvement irons he used to play and win with.
Some folks on the site want to let us know that Mr. Perry is playing these so called ugly
Adam Redline irons this week. And he also won with the not so pure but ugly Ping Craz-E putter.
Wow! Another ugly club that wins. Cameron Kombi, 2-ball. TM Spider and so on and so on.....

[quote name='mkay' timestamp='1328040712' post='4186171']
And before the next guy comes here and tells me Kenny could whoop my a** with a garden set from a toystore i will say it before they do, he probably could.
[/quote]

probably?

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

[quote name='MileHighClub' timestamp='1328066062' post='4189137']
[quote name='mkay' timestamp='1328040712' post='4186171']
[/quote]

probably?
[/quote]
Well maybe only 99.8% of the time

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Wrong .

I realise he's had a decent career and all, but [i][b]I don't see what the fascination is with him NOW[/b][/i]

[/quote]

Maybe because he is not only a great golfer but a great person.

[quote name='nomoreclubs2012' timestamp='1327966925' post='4180937']
[quote name='dieselG' timestamp='1327965251' post='4180767']
The guy has won 14 times and banked close to $32M on the tour. He has a contract with Adams, so he can play whatever he wants, including custom handmade stuff.

Love the comments on his the aesthetics of his bag, from us armchair quarterbacks on an internet forum.

This bag is what a golf company dreams of. An accomplished tour player playing irons that their target customers could buy and actually be able to play decent golf with.
[/quote]

I don't think adams is going to sell a ton of these ugly irons because Kenny Perry is playing them. Man they are ugly! [b]Old guys who buy adams[/b] generally aren't wrxers and don't check pros WITB threads!
[/quote]:busted2:

From bumping into him recently, I asked what he was playing. He mentioned redlines as an option. He apparently not only likes to look down at offset but had very interesting opinions of how the sole interacts with the turf. The more rounded radius of the redline sole was something he seemed to like in contrast to what he saw from cb2s, cb3s, proa12s, and his next closest option, mb2s. He likes what he likes, and theres something to be said for that. Now, for those saying hes a sellout, I'm pretty sure if he was going to be a sellout, and slang what Adams was paying him to for the sake of sales and money, I think they would pick their bread and butter, a12os or the most expensive set they have. Its hard to say someone is selling out when they put a $400 iron set in the bag. So, I get everyone having an opinion (right or wrong in my mind) about the redlines look, but Im positive that nothing about this makes him a sellout or anything of that nature.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='300Drive' timestamp='1328039846' post='4186093']
Just goes to show, WE have way too much ego in our bags, and not enough game in our game........
[/quote]

+1000000000000000....

Driver: SIM 9*, Ventus 6R
FWs: Maltby ke4 ist 17*, kura kage silver 65 R; ke4 ist pro 20*, Maltby fw shaft

4H: Srixon ZX, Evenflow Riptide 80 5.5

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5i Recoil F3; 6i-GW , Nippon 950GH reg (all + 1/2”)
Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52 & 58
Putter: Odyssey versa 12
Ball: Maxfli tour x

[quote name='duffer888' timestamp='1327992612' post='4183377']
His days are over unfortunately. Now, he's just an Adams spokesman slinging what they want him to sling.
[/quote]

I was curious to if you have seen the scores he has posted the last couple days?? If his days are over I can't wait to get to that point lol

[quote name='ZJohnson' timestamp='1328070706' post='4189675']

Wrong .

I realise he's had a decent career and all, but [i][b]I don't see what the fascination is with him NOW[/b][/i]

[/quote]

Maybe because he is not only a great golfer but a great person.
[/quote]

Have to agree. I've talked with Kenny a few times by chance and he is one hell of a nice dude.

[quote name='nomoreclubs2012' timestamp='1327966925' post='4180937']
[quote name='dieselG' timestamp='1327965251' post='4180767']The guy has won 14 times and banked close to $32M on the tour. He has a contract with Adams, so he can play whatever he wants, including custom handmade stuff. Love the comments on his the aesthetics of his bag, from us armchair quarterbacks on an internet forum.This bag is what a golf company dreams of. An accomplished tour player playing irons that their target customers could buy and actually be able to play decent golf with.[/quote]I don't think adams is going to sell a ton of these ugly irons because Kenny Perry is playing them. Man they are ugly! Old guys who buy adams generally aren't wrxers and don't check pros WITB threads!
[/quote]
Old guy here, all of 38 and playing to a 2.4 index and I am playing the Adams Idea Pro Black MB irons, and I am a member, and mostly for the WITB Forums, I have a garage full of irons, woods and too many putters and wedges to count! Certified Club Ho, but I think your comments show your lack of knowledge of the game, its available equipment and what it means to be a player, no matter what I am gaming at the time I am trying to improve on something. Adams, Yonex, Scratch, TM, I dont care whos name is on the sticks, if they fly and I can work them, who gives a rats a#$.

[quote name='pitbull808' timestamp='1328042696' post='4186357']
[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1327983683' post='4182813']
Actually there is an offset. Perry has always played an offset iron on tour. When he played the R7s and the R9s they were the "common" club and not the TP nor the "B".
[/quote]

I had heard about his bag back at the Sony from an Adams employee. When Perry went for his Adams fitting he took the MB2's and the Redlines back home with him for testing. A few days later he phoned back that although he loved the feel of the MB2's and could hit them very easily he loves the look of offset in his irons. The Redlines and it's offset fit his eye better so that's why you see it in his bag. It was probably as big a surprise for the Adams guys that he went with the Redlines as it is to the forum.

For guys that only look at the Redlines and scream UGLY..you might want to hit them before you do that. I thought the same back when they came out but my rep dared me to take a few sticks to the range to test out. They're extremely easy to hit and yes..probably due to the jacked up lofts,they're very long. I can see where Perry might say he feels young again because the guys I went to the range with were all in agreement that they were easily a club to club and a half longer then what we were playing. A friend of mine who is a Pro was hitting 200 easy with the 6 iron.

Sure they are not the look/bling that everyone might want to look at but it's nice to see a guy playing a club because HE likes it and not because he was made to play it.
[/quote]

Agreed!!! For all of those who have issues with KP's irons (and those who believe that he is past his time), how about his "W" at the Ace Group Classic??? We are amateurs. He (KP) is a professional, and a very successful professional to boot. He plays equipment that works for him. He is not peer pressured into playing equipment, against his better judgement just to keep up with what's popular among the masses (us), just because the name or aesthetic appeals to the general public (us). If it works, then why fix it???

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

[quote name='Plainbucknasty' timestamp='1329702438' post='4327735']
Adams must be doing something right to get Kenny away from Taylormade.
[/quote]
Adams is doing some nice things. But it should be noted that KP was not going to get the $$$ he was getting previously to play the Champions Tour. TM doesn't support that tour any where near the extent of the PGA or Euro tours where Adams likes to "dominate" the Champions Tour. They were willing to reach deeper for KP. (I know this for a fact.)
Interestingly KP's ad about the Adams 3wd that he called "a rocket" was NOT in his bag last prior to this week (I haven't seen the Darrell survey info for this week yet).

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.