2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Memory Lane of Irons

rc1111

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hand-me-down Patty Bergs had the "reminder grip". My mom at some point decided to "upgrade me" to the Blue Ridge Specials (with the reminder grips) and my little brother got the Patty Berg's.
The Sam Snead's took me from probably 13 through high school. Northwestern 1,3,5 woods.
But my first golf club was a PowerBilt 5 iron that was kid sized (shaft and head size).
Broke a garage window and plastic balls in the backyard became the you won't get your butt beat balls of choice.

Lee Trevino played Rawlings golf balls. And Faultless.
At some point in time probably the largest manufacturer of golf balls was the Faultless Rubber Company in Mansfield, OH. They made golf balls for just about everyone.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

Everyone gets an A+ for making the walk down memory lane a lot of fun... There is likely a museum somewhere or in someone's home that has a huge collection of old golf stuff. It would be enjoyable to see the evolution of clubs. I have seen desk ornaments composed of several golf balls from old wood and featheries to strange dimple to a modern ball. And somewhere I dimly recall a wall ornament that had maybe 25 or 40 (who knows how many) golf balls sitting in their little box windows.

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1343698294' post='5381406']
I can remember it was Dr. John Nicolaides?, who was then a professor at Notre Dame, who proclaimed the hexagonal dimpled Royal "Plus 6" ball flew farther than Titleist.

Golf ball trivia time-

What was a year Titleist got shut out from being the winning ball in one of the four majors?
[/quote]

Well, I know Ken Venturi played a Royal in the 1964 US Open, but I would have to say it goes back farther to one of the Open Championships won by the likes of Gary Player or Peter Thompson who likely would have been playing a Dunlop ball.

[quote name=''53 Precision' timestamp='1343699737' post='5381578']
[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1343699435' post='5381552']
Hint- The company had staffers using the irons and the ball.
[/quote]

Don't know the year, but Hogan was the number one ball on tour prior to Titleist taking over that position, so I would guess it to be The Ben Hogan Co.
[/quote]

I believe it was the early 70's, not sure about the exact year either.

BTW, Titleist had been the number 1 ball on tour for many years before this, I believe going back to its introduction in 1948. Then they changed the Titleist to a new dimple pattern from the traditional one all manufacturers used. The beginning of the "dimple wars". Tour pros felt the new Titleist ballooned on them too much. Many switched to the Hogan Apex ball, which became the number 1 played ball on tour for a year or 2. Then Titleist came out with a "pro trajectory" version and recaptured the number 1 spot which they have held since.

In fact there is a famous story about the argument Ben Hogan had with MacGregor, his equipment sponsor, because he played Titleist instead of the Tourney ball.

First set of irons I had when I was a kid at 10 years old were some old hickory shafted irons from the 30s just before steel was made. They still were stamped with Niblick, Mashie Niblick, etc. When I was 12, I got a set of MacGregor, then a highly popular blade, irons with MacGregor Persimmon woods. Played those for 12 years. When I was 24, I got a new set of MacGregor blades and Toney Penna persimmon woods. Then, not too long after, the first TaylorMade metalwoods came out. I didn't go to metal though until the Great Big Bertha and still used persimmon fairways and the same MacGregor irons. Hung on to the GBB driver until I got one of the TM drivers the R580. Never changed irons until I got the Titleist 681s. I got a TM r9 and played that until the R11s. Along the way upgraded my woods to metal fairways too. Played the 681 irons until I got these new Mizuno MP-69 irons. As for putters, I used a bullseye up until about 2008 when I got a Scotty Cameron.

I remember checking balls for roundness, and then choosing a putting ball. Hagen, Wilson Staff, Hogan were the big names where I live. Kenneth Smith's were regarded as elite level clubs, like tour issue today. I forgot about Faultless, I had one for a putting ball that was as round as a ball bearing and felt just as good. The Club Special was an everyday ball, with Titleist being reserved for tournaments. I liked the Wilson X31's, but not as well as my Haig Ultra's. I still have the Haig's and for whatever reason, they feel completely different than modern forged irons.

I still remember the first set of irons I assembled.

I think the component heads came from Golf Craft.

They were cast blades ( I could not afford forged).

My shafts were Dynamic X (before Dynamic Gold).

Not knowing any better, I tipped to length, did not cut the butts at all.

I have always battled a severe hook. These clubs felt like swinging rebar, but oh, man, were they ever straight!

Cool thread, I think the evolution of equipment is incredibly interesting. Were the older irons mostly forged? Cast? My uncle has an older set of blades that , the brand escapes me but for some reason I think they say Gene Sarazen on them, and they are heavy. They feel good though, kind of like a wedge. I'm 30 and didn't start playing til I was 18. My first irons were Ping Eye 2 + orange dot. I just recently replaced them with i10s.

I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1343801900' post='5388518']
My memory might not be perfect but the stories I heard regarding Hogan and Macgregor was he was playing Spalding Dot ball,,not Titleist??
[/quote]

My source for the story is James Dodson's "Ben Hogan: An American Life" which relates the story of MacGregor's president trying to convince Hogan to play the Tourney ball instead of Titleist in the 1953 US Open.

As I said, I believe Titleist was introduced in 1948. It is possible, even likely, that Hogan played the Spalding Dot before then since it was one of the most popular balls at that time.

[quote name='dalehead' timestamp='1343849939' post='5391460']
[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1343801900' post='5388518']
My memory might not be perfect but the stories I heard regarding Hogan and Macgregor was he was playing Spalding Dot ball,,not Titleist??
[/quote]

My source for the story is James Dodson's "Ben Hogan: An American Life" which relates the story of MacGregor's president trying to convince Hogan to play the Tourney ball instead of Titleist in the 1953 US Open.

As I said, I believe Titleist was introduced in 1948. It is possible, even likely, that Hogan played the Spalding Dot before then since it was one of the most popular balls at that time.

[/quote]

Both of you are correct. Hogan won the 1953 us open with a Spaulding Dot according to author Curt Sampson's book entitled "Hogan".
Author James Dodson says he played the Titleist in the 1953 Masters in his book" Ben Hogan, An American Life"

CHARLEY PENNA

• 2 months later...

[quote name='gnlw' timestamp='1342149957' post='5266306']
When my dad gave me his set of Wilson Staff FG-17's in the early 80's, I realized that I had turned the corner in golf and was forever a disciple of the game. I've since been through several sets of irons, but those FG-17's have a special place in my heart. Not just because they were great clubs, but also because they symbolized the passing of the torch between me and my dad.
[/quote]

Those FG's played amazing. And nothing felt so good as a well struck Wilson Fluid Feel 5 iron. I have always argued that Wilson was one of the first with a bore thru iron. I think the red plug on the heel of the Fluid Feel ran right up to the tip of the shaft.

My collection of Classic Blades that I play include

1972 Wilson Staff Buttonbacks 2-PW
1979 Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades 2-SW
1986 (I believe) MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield 20th Anniversary Blades 2-SW

Add to those a Cleveland Classics AL44 Oil Hardened Persimmon Driver, an original Cleveland Classics Tour Action 588 60* wedge,
and one of the following (from my collection) Heel Shafted Blade Putters to complete the bag

Walter Hagen Gentle Ben by Crenshaw
Cleveland Classic Corey Pavin Centenial US Open Winner
Cleveland Classic Byron Nelson Classic Collection
Cleveland Classic Tour Action Black Classic Collection CMGT
Clevland Classic Form-FORGED III Black
MacGregor Tommy Armour IMG Iron Master
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield
Tommy Armour Silver Scot Collector Model Custom Made
Toney Pena (similar to JN100)
Arnold Palmer Personal
Arnold Palmer AP14
Arnold Palmer "The Original"
Old Master HBA Brass Putter
Cleveland Classic Designd by Cleveland
Cobra Designed by Dick De La Cruz 88 Model
Tommy Armour Silver Scot Ironmaster Model 709
Golden Ram Tour Grind Tom Watson
Wilson 8813 (3 different years)

Edited for Spelling

Ping I25 9.5* PWR65 Stiff
Callaway XHot 3 Wood Project X 6.0
Ping G30 19* Hybrids TFC 419H Stiff
Ping G30 4-UW CFS Distance Stiff
Ping Tour Gorge 54* & 58* CFS Stiff
Odyssey Works Rossie II
Bridgestone B330RX

My first set of clubs were made for me by my club-maker uncle, George Johnson. They all had hickory shafts. The set comprised - driver, spoon, long-iron, mid-iron, mashie, mashie-niblick, niblick and putter. The ball I used was a Kroflight, can't remember the manufacturer.

When steel shafts started to come in, I asked my uncle about them. 'Them's a passin' fancy,' was his reply. 'Nothing will beat hickory.' - He was a good club-maker but not a good prophet!! After he died, my first set of steel-shafted clubs was a set of Penfolds and the ball was a Warwick.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='rc1111' timestamp='1343689669' post='5380504']
Everyone gets an A+ for making the walk down memory lane a lot of fun... There is likely a museum somewhere or in someone's home that has a huge collection of old golf stuff. It would be enjoyable to see the evolution of clubs. I have seen desk ornaments composed of several golf balls from old wood and featheries to strange dimple to a modern ball. And somewhere I dimly recall a wall ornament that had maybe 25 or 40 (who knows how many) golf balls sitting in their little box windows.
[/quote]

I have almost every single Ping iron ever made, just miss 1 model of their irons. So I guess you are right. I enjoy looking at the older models and see the evoltion of Ping irons.

[quote name='dalehead' timestamp='1343767717' post='5385802']

In fact there is a famous story about the argument Ben Hogan had with MacGregor, his equipment sponsor, because he played Titleist instead of the Tourney ball.
[/quote]

I forget who it was.....someone well respected....Venturi? Flick? Rossberg?......Anyhow I remember reading an article where whoever it was said that they were absolutely convinced that Jack would've won another 3 or 4 majors if he hadn't been loyal to the MacGregor ball. They said that the MacGregor ball was very unpredictable in the wind compared to the Titleists everyone else was using at the time.

[quote name='eerogolf' timestamp='1360616312' post='6408469']
I have almost every single Ping iron ever made, just miss 1 model of their irons. So I guess you are right. I enjoy looking at the older models and see the evoltion of Ping irons.
[/quote]

I feel the same way; I'm certainly missing more than one set but really enjoy having 37 sets of Hogans racked up in chronological order.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1360633047' post='6410265']
[/quote]

I feel the same way; I'm certainly missing more than one set but really enjoy having 37 sets of Hogans racked up in chronological order.
[/quote]
Lets see some pics of your Hogans??

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1360637125' post='6410731']
[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1360633047' post='6410265']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Lets see some pics of your Hogans??
[/quote]

Will do, Tim. Heading down to the basement shortly to get started...

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

My most unusual Hogans are a driver and two wood - MacGregor with Ben Hogan etched in top of head. Never been refinished but look good. I believe they may be the same head as the M85. Enjoying this thread, thanks for starting it.
One other thing. Anyone remember how the hard TopFlights would ruin the laminated woods if your hits were on the toe very much? lol

[quote name='jmck' timestamp='1360617636' post='6408627']
[quote name='dalehead' timestamp='1343767717' post='5385802']
[/quote]

I forget who it was.....someone well respected....Venturi? Flick? Rossberg?......Anyhow I remember reading an article where whoever it was said that they were absolutely convinced that Jack would've won another 3 or 4 majors if he hadn't been loyal to the MacGregor ball. They said that the MacGregor ball was very unpredictable in the wind compared to the Titleists everyone else was using at the time.
[/quote]
What I remember is Tom Wieskopf complaining that Nicklaus, since he owned the company would play better,not avaialble to the public yet, Macgregor balls, the pros on staff had to wait and it really pi..ed him off

[quote name='russad' timestamp='1360663070' post='6411951']
Looking forward to seeing the guisician's Hogans, 37 sets sounds incredible.
[/quote]

Yes me too ... I started collecting Hogan last year, ticking off the "Hogan" iron chart, and am now up to 10 sets - I love this brand!

I have:

1950s Slazenger Ben Hogan Precision 2-9 (not sure exact year they were released in UK .. anyone know ?)
1961 Power Thrust 3-E + Exploder
1967 Percussion Center 7 2-E
1979 Apex II 2-E
1984 Apex PC 2-E
1988 Apex Redline 2-E
1994 Apex Ft Worth Tx 3-E + SW
1998 Apex 2-E
2003 Apex 2-E
2006 Apex 3-E

Also have some odds and ends:

1971 Round Sole Exploder
1972 Slazenger Hogan Apex 1-Iron

Slazenger Hogan Special Sand Iron
Hogan Special Sand Iron x2
Sure Out
BeCu Wedges Special FW (52), Special SI (56 x2) and Special LW (60)
Forged Wedges 5208 Fairway, 5309 Fairway, 5711 Sand, 6004 Lob
Colonial Wedges 52, 56, 60
Apex Wedges 5208, 5410, 6006

It's fun to play them all. None of these clubs cost very much and some of the sets are almost mint.

Would love a set of Personals, but still getting my head round the $1000 I'd need to join that particular party ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)