TM R11s 15.5 FW

SpinMill75

Just got one...wow!
Hi everyone,

Just a quick review of my new fairway wood. I was playing a 13* PING G5 as well as a PING G10 4 wood and would alternate based on courses, weather, etc. The 13* was not super great off the fairway unless I had a perfect lie, but a cannon off the tee and made a good backup driver. The 4 wood was great off the fairway but found that, due to the closed face, if I'd miss...it was going left big time - so i kind of lost confidence in it.

Anyway, I decided to go with an adjustable head fairway wood that I could position open and play as a 4 wood and add a wedge.

So....after trying a few out I decided on the R11S 15.5. Set 1 increment higher and open club face. RIP Phenom 70 G stiff flex shaft.

Here are my thoughts -

Playability - Tried it off super tight lies, primary rough and off the tee - all three are effortless. The ball launches very quickly.

Accuracy/ Forgiveness - Super accurate and forgiving, easy to turn left or right. At the range, I found every shot was landing close to each other.

Distance - Its long, really long! Can easily use this as a driver when we're not getting along or when playing a tight course. Doesn't matter if its off the fairway or off the tee.....LONG! Did I mention its LONG! Ball go far!

Feel - The sound is different from any club I've ever had.....its a little hollow and tinny sounding, but the ball is going so far you tend to forget how it sounds. The face seems hot, the ball takes off really fast. I really liked the feel of the face, you could dial in the ball position quickly and you noticed right away if you missed it based on the feel coming off the face.

Look - I think it looks pretty cool, the clubhead is matte white and the RIP shaft is matte black. Its kind of sinister looking.

All in all, I'm very impressed. I know this might just be the "honeymoon" but so far I am really happy with this purchase. I also like the fact that I can make adjustments based on course setup and weather rather than carry extra clubs.....

Cheers, spin

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review and I couldn't agree more!

I pulled the 3 and 5 wood for the R11s 4 wood (cranked open to play at 15.5*) and it could not be happier. This allowed me to get an extra wedge in the bag, and not lose my 3 hybrid.

OP is dead accurate on his review, long, workable, and looks great!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I absolutely hated my R11TP 14 from last year.

I found a R11s 14 TP on the bay for 210 and pulled the trigger sold the RIP and put in my Kai Li and it is 100x the club the OG R11 was.

Great launch angle, good roll, and its very easy to hit. Whatever TM did to the CG they did it right cause the R11s is a BIG improvement over the R11 Fairway.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

[quote name='Eternal' timestamp='1334289037' post='4712570']
Great review, kinda making me rethink my choice for a FW. Have you hit this up against the Adams Super XTD FW? I'm curious because that was the other one I am looking into getting.
[/quote]

I didn't because the Adams sat closed/neutral which was part of the issue...I needed one that sat open.

Any comparisons between the R11 and R11S fairway? I didn't think it could get much better than the R11. Is it that much different?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond- 8* Ventus TR Black 6X
TM Stealth 2 Plus - 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Titleist U505- 2 Iron Hzrdous Black 6.5
PXG GEN 5 Tour - 4-PW LA Golf 120 S
Artisan Hand Grind- 50, 55, 60 DG TI S400
Tyson Lamb- Bridgeport Custom

[quote name='agadawg17171' timestamp='1334294351' post='4712940']
Any comparisons between the R11 and R11S fairway? I didn't think it could get much better than the R11. Is it that much different?
[/quote]

Guess you didn't read my post.

IMO The OG r11 was awful its felt heavy, dead, and launched way too low.

The R11s is 2-3 grams lighter, has a more tradition spring off face and 3 wood sound, and launches 1-1.5 degrees higher.

IMO there is no comparision the R11 was a dud (which was proven by its lack of tour use) and the R11S is a big upgrade.

Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115

What I found agrees with almost all that's been said, I tried the r11 fw last year and hated the feel of it. Very harsh, almost felt like hitting rocks (and they were real balls, not range balls). The r11s was a huge improvement in my mind and just added it to my bag. I even like the stock shaft (non-tp) although will probably play around with some other choices there.

Performance wise, I didn't see much difference between the r11 and rbz (but my swing was still pretty rusty from the winter) but the feel was very different. I found the RBZ to be too soft on contact for, almost no feedback about the contact.

I never tried them off the deck - that's not a common shot for me as I usually prefer my 18 deg hybrid in those situations.

Off the fairway the R11s performs great....

Went for the R11s over the RBZ because, as I stated in my OP, I wanted to have the option of one club that fit different roles. Thanks to its adjustability, I can carry one club that I can adjust prior to the round based on course layout, conditions, weather, etc. and add a wedge. The RBZ can't fit that role.

[quote name='ignitewvu' timestamp='1334318397' post='4713492']
[/quote]

The R11s is 2-3 grams lighter, has a more tradition spring off face and 3 wood sound, and launches 1-1.5 degrees higher.

IMO there is no comparision the R11 was a dud (which was proven by its lack of tour use) and the R11S is a big upgrade.
[/quote]

Easy there buddy. I did read your post. I was looking for someone that actually liked their R11 fairway. I have one and love it but just had to try the RBZ. So it looks like if I like my R11 that I will only like the R11s more. I would not say it was a dud though. There were a good bit of tour players hitting it and most of the guys this year are hitting the RBZ so I'm not so sure the R11s has been that much more successful on tour than the R11.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond- 8* Ventus TR Black 6X
TM Stealth 2 Plus - 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Titleist U505- 2 Iron Hzrdous Black 6.5
PXG GEN 5 Tour - 4-PW LA Golf 120 S
Artisan Hand Grind- 50, 55, 60 DG TI S400
Tyson Lamb- Bridgeport Custom

[quote name='Eternal' timestamp='1334289037' post='4712570']
Great review, kinda making me rethink my choice for a FW. Have you hit this up against the Adams Super XTD FW? I'm curious because that was the other one I am looking into getting.
[/quote]

I did hit the R11s against the XTD. I don't want to say anything bad about the XTD, it's a very loved club around here. What I will say is this, R11s fit my game, and the hole in my yardage gaps, better than XTD.

For me, the R11s has a higher ball flight and straighter ball flight (due to being able to open the face because I fight a hook). I will say XTD was a few yards longer, however I preferred the higher flight and softer landing of the R11s. Remember, we're talking 4 wood here, so I do use to go after greens on par 5's; so the low runners weren't preferred.

FYI - XTD doesn't offer a 4 wood, so I found XTD 3 wood longer than R11s 4 wood and XTD 5 wood slightly shorter

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='agadawg17171' timestamp='1334349229' post='4716444']
[quote name='ignitewvu' timestamp='1334318397' post='4713492']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Easy there buddy. I did read your post. I was looking for someone that actually liked their R11 fairway. I have one and love it but just had to try the RBZ. So it looks like if I like my R11 that I will only like the R11s more. I would not say it was a dud though. There were a good bit of tour players hitting it and most of the guys this year are hitting the RBZ so I'm not so sure the R11s has been that much more successful on tour than the R11.
[/quote]

Could have fooled me you asked for a comparision and I gave you one with monitor results.

• 4 weeks later...

Any feedback on the stock R11s phenom shaft? Not much info on it. What does it play like? Any other shafts you have played that are similar to it?

Driver: PING G30 LST 9* - Tour 65 Reg Shaft
3W: R11 Ti 13* - Fubuki 73x5ct Stiff Shaft
Driving Iron: Cobra King One Black Utility 2/3i - UST Recoil 780 Stiff Shaft
5-GW: Cobra King One Forged - UST Recoil 110 Stiff Shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T5s 52.09, 56.10, 60.06 - DG Wedge Flex Shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterrey

I personally loved, still do, my current R11 3wood. But finding it hard to resist the rocketballz craze. I hit one and it didn't immediately win me over, felt tinny and no feedback as far as feel. But it was indeed long. I didn't even think of trying the R11s just cause I assumed it was same thing as last year with some new decals. But reading this is making me consider it. So how does the R11s vs R11 vs RBZ stack up?

[quote name='Zk ProuT' timestamp='1336847662' post='4901414']
I personally loved, still do, my current R11 3wood. But finding it hard to resist the rocketballz craze. I hit one and it didn't immediately win me over, felt tinny and no feedback as far as feel. But it was indeed long. I didn't even think of trying the R11s just cause I assumed it was same thing as last year with some new decals. But reading this is making me consider it. So how does the R11s vs R11 vs RBZ stack up?
[/quote]

I disliked the R11 as well but I really liked the R11s at the range. Feels a lot better than the previous model in my opinion. I hit both the RBZ tour and R11s on the LM and they both went about 260. I hit the R11s straighter so I bought one off the BST . Have yet to play or go the range with it though due to time constraints..

[quote name='Veng' timestamp='1336830327' post='4900562']
So honeymoon is over, how do you like the club now?
[/quote]

Honeymoons over but still in love with it. Have played several rounds with it and can make the following report -

Off the turf, its longer than any fairway wood I've ever had. Very easy to hit off both tight and fluffed up lies. This club is super workable. Though my stock shot is a draw, I can fade this club easily as well. Off the tee, this club will bring a smile to your face. The balance of the club is super, you can feel the club through the swing and its easy to load. The Phenom shaft is awesome....I don't know if I lucked out with it or what but I really like it. It has "pop". I would liken it somewhat to a Grafalloy Blue with maybe tad more stiffness in the middle.

The adjustable features on the club are really the shining star of this FW. Very easy to adjust and see results quickly. Though the white takes a little getting used to, I have found that the matte finish helps for the sunny conditions I've been playing in and for whatever reason it actually helps me see the ball better at address.....

So, happy to report I'm still happy with this club.

-spin

I have the r11 3 wood and am waiting on a beta shaft from aldila this week. Will I be able to use this shaft with this tip adapter in the r11s? I would assume so, but want to make sure. Also, is there any difference in the tp version of the r11s besides the shaft upgrade?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1