2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Was this Target's mistake?

captpat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kitsoasis' timestamp='1335406540' post='4791120']
can't understand why the OP is getting grief, he simply spotted a bargain due to Target's mistake.

if the shop lists something at the wrong price that's their problem
[/quote]

So you have never made mistake that you are glad someone pointed out to you, rather than take advantage of it?

If someone dropped $20 by mistake, would you let them know or just take it?

It is subtle, be we have to look out for one and other rather than take advantage of others mistakes. I mean it is not really a dog eat dog world is it?

I know I sound like an idealist, believe it or I have job where I spend most of my times making deals, I have done well by not trying screw people over, but to try get a good deal for all concerned.

[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1335411925' post='4791838']
can't understand why the OP is getting grief, he simply spotted a bargain due to Target's mistake.

[/quote]

So you have never made mistake that you are glad someone pointed out to you, rather than take advantage of it?

It is subtle, be we have to look out for one and other rather than take advantage of others mistakes. I mean it is not really a dog eat dog world is it?

I know I sound like an idealist, believe it or I have job where I spend most of my times making deals, I have done well by not trying screw people over, but to try get a good deal for all concerned.
[/quote]

I thought we were talking about how retail regulations. As far as I know, if a catalogue lists something at half it's price by accident, they have to sell it at that price until they issue a retraction stating their mistake, so the OP's situation is no different. If Target makes a mistake listing something at a particular price, they have to sell it at that price until they fix the mistake.

If someone dropped $20 in front of me of course I'd let them know about it.

Dude, you were fully aware what the cost was supposed to be. This isn't like the thing a few years ago when targets nationwide mispriced some topflite D2's at 3.50 a box or whatever it was. You took advantage off the way the balls were placed on the shelf and then you used a "well selected cashier" hoping to get past her. You spent 96 bucks when you should have spent twice that for the balls you got. You [i]knew [/i]the true cost. You knew that a smart cashier would have caught on to this little game, that alone is intent to get a 2 for 1 deal that you knew you weren't entitled to. Sorry, that is stealing. Then, you post your tale here, as though you didn't expect some to find what you did less than honorable. As someone else said, the next time you decide to take merchandise from a retailer without paying for it KNOWING that you should, Keep such "scores" to yourself.

Everytime you stand over a ball, try to clear your mind that you stole it. I'd hate to think that might take you out of your game.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

These "morality" threads never end well...
So the OP clearly knows that he took advantage of the company's mistake, but did not break the law. Morally, probably not the best decision.
On the other hand, how many people drive above the posted speed limit? That is breaking the law. How many people worry about morals and right & wrong in that instance?
Given that perspective, everybody is a hypocrite and should spend less time worrying about others and more time worrying about themselves.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1335444287' post='4792944']
Dude, you were fully aware what the cost was supposed to be. This isn't like the thing a few years ago when targets nationwide mispriced some topflite D2's at 3.50 a box or whatever it was. You took advantage off the way the balls were placed on the shelf and then you used a "well selected cashier" hoping to get past her. You spent 96 bucks when you should have spent twice that for the balls you got. You [i]knew [/i]the true cost. You knew that a smart cashier would have caught on to this little game, that alone is intent to get a 2 for 1 deal that you knew you weren't entitled to. Sorry, that is stealing. Then, you post your tale here, as though you didn't expect some to find what you did less than honorable. As someone else said, the next time you decide to take merchandise from a retailer without paying for it KNOWING that you should, Keep such "scores" to yourself.

Everytime you stand over a ball, try to clear your mind that you stole it. I'd hate to think that might take you out of your game.
[/quote]

+1, I totally agree!

Cobra F6 w/ Whiteboard
XR16 5 wood
TaylorMade Jetspeed 3, 4, 5 hybrid
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Mack Daddy3 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

This is similar to the mess up Target did nationwide with the Top Flight D2 Feel balls a few years ago. For whatever reason, someone entered the price for D2's in Target's national pricing system as $1.97. It last for about a week before Target caught on. People were clearing out Target stores all over the USA.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1335444287' post='4792944']

[/quote]

Agreed!! Now OP is trying to justify his actions when in the original post he made it sound like he clearly knew the balls were not supposed to have rubber bands around them...and to make it worse you go back and get even more??? Then you come on here and brag about it. Class act for sure!

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

[quote name='captpat' timestamp='1334855842' post='4752666']
As I perused the Target spring offering of balls, I noticed the Pro v1 and the NXT Tours were on each others space....no biggy, scanner would ring correct. BUT, the NXT Tours were banded together (with a heavy rubber band) in a 2 dozen bundle. [b]Well selected cashier rang the 24 balls for $29.99. I'm assuming this was the shelf stocker's error. I got more.
[/b][/quote]

See the bold above. that is your own exact quote. You chose a well selected cashier to ring up a shelf stockers error...then you go and get more and you expect people to tell you how awesome you are?? Wow you really got a "steal" literally. Congrats on that bud, you are a top notch customer any business would be lucky to have! :rolleyes:

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

There was nothing wrong with the pricing...the shelf stocker forgot to take a rubber band off of the two boxes, that's not a pricing error at all. Keep trying to justify your actions, you don't need to prove anything to me, but I would reconsider my actions next time.

And you honestly don't think that instances like this that happen more than people realize, play a role in a company eventually closing stores, going bancrupt, etc? Not saying Target is going to go bancrupt but I know for a fact that Loss Prevention was a huge reason in the old Ames stores going out of business! Enjoy those free balls though

The idea that target losing $90 is going to cause them to go bankrupt is laughable.
Almost everyone in his situation would have done the same thing, he didn't do anything wrong/illegal, he paid exactly what he was told to, not a penny more.
If target stockers dont know how to take rubber bands of golf balls then they deserve to be fired.

You're going out on a limb here...and I didnt say THAT would make them go bancrupt but it all adds up over time. These threads are always good, shows who has morals and who doesnt.

Buddy of mine bought a dozen ProV's at Target years ago. Gets home to unload them into his bag and out pour a bunch of rock-hard Nikes.

Someone did the ol' switcheroo on the balls inside the packaging. That's why all the high end balls at Target now have the bands around them so you can't open them and inspect the balls.

He took his lumps and never returned the dozen, so consider that a wash for this guy taking advantage of the pricing mistake.

Oh - and one time I bought a high-end sleeping bag from Target and didn't want to unfurl it until I got to my destination, a fly in Canadian fishing trip where they drop you off at a cabin in the middle of nowhere with the supplies you bring in and a satellite phone in case of emergency.

That night I unroll it and climb in for what I thought would be a great night of sleep. Feel something rolling around down there, pull it out and it's a pair of girls white cotton panties. Turns out I apparently purchased a used sleeping bag. I mean REALLY used. And to make matters worse it was one of those 'rated to 10 below' sleeping bags and we had record heat, so I was sweating balls in that thing. Couldn't climb out of it or the mosquitoes would suck me dry.

So considering all that, let's let this guy have his little victory here. :)

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

A big box store is not a victim...

I mean, sure he took advantage of a deal, but he didn't steal anything. He didn't go in and band them together to get a deal, he bought them as they were stocked.. Not like it's going to make a multi million dollar superstore franchise go out of business..

I don't really care because if it's not urethane, I bet cost is SUPER low compared to actual price any way.

[quote name='captpat' timestamp='1335442698' post='4792862']
OP here......for all the haters.....I DID drop $96.00 on balls. And helped a little old lady load her purchases.
[/quote]

So you owe Target $96 now? Glad you're so proud.

I hate people who go ballistic on a company for making a simple mistake and then they want the cheap price. I hate when people go nuts about misprints in ads. It's that sense of entitlement and trying to f*** the man that is a big problem in this country... Just like Occupy Wall St

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='Stinger82' timestamp='1335474806' post='4795908']
You're going out on a limb here...and I didnt say THAT would make them go bancrupt but it all adds up over time. These threads are always good, shows who has morals and who doesnt.
[/quote]

Interesting that you would bring up morals, since they are technically something that humans invented. It is totally subjective and is imposed from a societal standpoint. I think you are overgeneralizing wayy too much for this ball thing. If you found a dollar on the ground would you try to return it?

I have on several occasions bought something and it was miss tagged or something, but it ended up being way cheaper than what the price tag on the shelf was. Maybe it was a sale, just not advertised or whatever. I don't work for Target so how would I know?

[quote name='kitsoasis' timestamp='1335412200' post='4791868']
[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1335411925' post='4791838']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought we were talking about how retail regulations. As far as I know, if a catalogue lists something at half it's price by accident, they have to sell it at that price until they issue a retraction stating their mistake, so the OP's situation is no different. If Target makes a mistake listing something at a particular price, they have to sell it at that price until they fix the mistake.

If someone dropped $20 in front of me of course I'd let them know about it.
[/quote]
Actually, catologs and retail stores are allowed to correct pricing mistakes.

[quote name='Auditor_Kevin' timestamp='1335475450' post='4795986']
Buddy of mine bought a dozen ProV's at Target years ago. Gets home to unload them into his bag and out pour a bunch of rock-hard Nikes.

Someone did the ol' switcheroo on the balls inside the packaging. That's why all the high end balls at Target now have the bands around them so you can't open them and inspect the balls.

He took his lumps and never returned the dozen, so consider that a wash for this guy taking advantage of the pricing mistake.

Oh - and one time I bought a high-end sleeping bag from Target and didn't want to unfurl it until I got to my destination, a fly in Canadian fishing trip where they drop you off at a cabin in the middle of nowhere with the supplies you bring in and a satellite phone in case of emergency.

That night I unroll it and climb in for what I thought would be a great night of sleep. Feel something rolling around down there, pull it out and it's a pair of girls white cotton panties. Turns out I apparently purchased a used sleeping bag. I mean REALLY used. And to make matters worse it was one of those 'rated to 10 below' sleeping bags and we had record heat, so I was sweating balls in that thing. Couldn't climb out of it or the mosquitoes would suck me dry.

So considering all that, let's let this guy have his little victory here. :)
[/quote]

I woulda never thought to go to target for a high end sleeping bag... the wash for your buddy was mr. switcheroo, the guy that got the prov balls for the price of the nikes. the wash for op would be the guy who got charged double for one dozen, if there is anyone like that

For all the guys that say this was okay: if it was two golf shirts with one stuffed in the other, would that be okay too? If the cashier hands you the wrong change (in your favour) is that okay too? I fail to see why you should profit from someone's mistake.

lock[1].gif

These disputes are a waste of time. There are two ways of thinking. This has nothing to add to the golfballs forum. Lock it and move on.

I can;t imagine why you read, let alone posted, where you think time is being wasted. This thread can exist, and YOU can move on just as easily.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck