2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golfers in Austin, TX

epmonies

I wouldn't play Clay if it was free.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Anyone interested in playing in this event? [url="http://jaimepadrongolftournament.com"]http://jaimepadrongolftournament.com[/url]

If so, let me know. The team I played on last year is dragging their feet and still haven't decided to play this year. I'm gonna either sign up as a single or wait for a response on here. Figured it'd be a good chance to meet a couple wrx'ers in the Austin area.

Quick synopsis:
Teravista Golf Course
four man scramble
8am on Saturday, August 23rd
chance to win $1,000,000
$100 entry fee w/free meal

Oh I almost forgot. Last year, Teravista handed out a coupon for a free green fee after we completed our round. So it's basically, two rounds of golf, a free meal and a chance to win some good prizes.

Just lemme know.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

that sounds like a good deal, wish i could join you, but I'm going to spend all my green fees money for the month on Sunday, lol. Playing in a tournament at Barton Creek (Crenshaw) course and its also $100. Pretty stoked since i've never played that course before.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I got married at Barton Creek a couple years ago and played that course. We ended up getting a 50% refund, because its condition was poor to say the least. The bunkers were comparable to Bluebonnet Hill with small pebbles everywhere. I researched the course on here and learned that the Crenshaw course is the least maintained and desirable course at Barton Creek. I was a bit disappointed as were most in our group of 12.

bummer, oh well, at least my buddies and I will have fun, but heard its going to be a scorcher Sunday afternoon, need to pre-hydrate.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

wondered where that was going to pop up. it used to be located off MoPac close to Braker before they developed that area. May have to give this place a looksy.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

[quote name='jsanatx' timestamp='1408127886' post='9942431']
wondered where that was going to pop up. it used to be located off MoPac close to Braker before they developed that area. May have to give this place a looksy.
[/quote]

The one that use to be located at Mopac and Braker is where Arbor Walk shopping center is now. I don't recall the name of it, but it was in no way associated with Leadbetter. The UT golf team use to practice there. I saw Kelli Kuehne there at least once a week.

If I remember right, the Mopac/Braker range had Hank Haney's name on it. It had two separate sets of tees, one faced north, and one faced south. Gave you a chance to hit into wind, or against the wind if you got tired of one.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

[quote name='Reidman' timestamp='1408217957' post='9947853']
If I remember right, the Mopac/Braker range had Hank Haney's name on it. It had two separate sets of tees, one faced north, and one faced south. Gave you a chance to hit into wind, or against the wind if you got tired of one.
[/quote]

I remember the North and South quite well, but don't believe it was associated with any of the big names in golf. It had a pitching green closer to the Southwest corner of the facility that only UT players were allowed to use. A chipping/putting green was to the East/closer to the RR tracks. I know someone who would remember the name, but it'll be late next week before I see him.

[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1408225032' post='9948313']
[/quote]

I remember the North and South quite well, but don't believe it was associated with any of the big names in golf. It had a pitching green closer to the Southwest corner of the facility that only UT players were allowed to use. A chipping/putting green was to the East/closer to the RR tracks. I know someone who would remember the name, but it'll be late next week before I see him.
[/quote]

This was the driving range where I had my first experience hitting golf balls (as a 30 year old). This was 10 years ago when a buddy from work asked me to join him and that's when the addiction kicked in.

[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1408225032' post='9948313']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Man...you had to make me bring in Google to settle the dispute. Check out this outdated website:

http://www.golflink.com/golf-driving-ranges/city.aspx?dest=Austin+TX

Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

So there it is, I was wrong as it was clearly Hank Haney affiliated. I used the range many times and never realized it. Of course I was always looking to spot Kelli Kuehne in the crowd.

• 4 months later...

This is a good deal if you want to try some of the private courses around town.. and some of the premium public courses like wolfdancer.

http://www.thefirstteeaustin.org/club/scripts/view/view_insert.asp?IID=157748&NS=GAU&APP=106

I've purchased the book for the last couple of years... waiting for this one to come out. with golfnow.com charging me fee's, I won't be using their site as much for the hot deals.

Awesome deal - I actually mentor kids at Falconhead for the First Tee and it's a ton of fun. Good way to be out on the course during the week.

Taylormade M3 9.5° Tour AD DI 6S
Taylormade M5 15° PF V2 6F4
Taylormade M3-r 17° PF V2 F4-S
Titleist 913h 21° Diamana S+ Blue 82HY
Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Titleist SM7 Raw 46°, 54°, 60° PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the sun is out, all the fair weather golfers are out this weekend. Was unable to get a tee time for twosome at MoWilly or Lions prior to 2pm. I prefer the 40s/50s so I can have the course to myself :P

Bossman, check out the AGA (Austin Golf Association), its a nice league and you will make some new golf friends and get to play the courses
www.ghin.com/eclub/aga

We play Morris Williams next Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm trying to plan a golf trip in June, wanna stay about 3 days (Friday - Sunday). Trying to play about 4-5 rounds. Probably 2 on Friday, 1-2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday before I head back to Houston. For the ATX Golfers out there, what places do you suggest we play, that are reasonable cost wise, and close in proximity (For Friday if I'm trying to get 36 in, in one day). Budget is around 500 btwn golf and hotel. Got a hotel for me and my buddy for a little over 300 for the weekend. (It's in between 1 and 183).
So we're looking at a little over 300~ for the weekend. I also saw that the First Tee of Austin offers the book to play each course for 25, is that worthwhile investment, I will probably only play in Austin just once this year? Just spitballilng at this point.

Let me know what you think.

[quote name='txedag11' timestamp='1427299987' post='11213119']
So I'm trying to plan a golf trip in June, wanna stay about 3 days (Friday - Sunday). Trying to play about 4-5 rounds. Probably 2 on Friday, 1-2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday before I head back to Houston. For the ATX Golfers out there, what places do you suggest we play, that are reasonable cost wise, and close in proximity (For Friday if I'm trying to get 36 in, in one day). Budget is around 500 btwn golf and hotel. Got a hotel for me and my buddy for a little over 300 for the weekend. (It's in between 1 and 183).
So we're looking at a little over 300~ for the weekend. I also saw that the First Tee of Austin offers the book to play each course for 25, is that worthwhile investment, I will probably only play in Austin just once this year? Just spitballilng at this point.

Let me know what you think.
[/quote]

Top tier are normally Avery Ranch, Falconhead and Sunday round at Wolfdancer on your way back to Houston...but might be a little over budget when considering 36-hole days. You will have to call on replay rates.

Second tier of choices would be Star Ranch, Teravista and Sunday round at Shadow Glen on the way back to Houston. Star Ranch normally has an all you can play & eat deal, and course usually in great shape.

Best of the muni's are Roy Kizer and Morris Williams, green fees are all you can play.

Would bet most of the First Tee book courses can only be played Mon-Thurs, so do your homework first. All of the courses above on GolfNow at great afternoon rates, so be sure to check that out too.

Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

I'll echo Reidman's post and add Grey Rock to the mix - it's in South Austin and now owned by the city but the course is in awesome shape.

Also, let me know if you and your buddy want any company. My buddy and I play Falconhead and Grey Rock regularly and would be more than happy to join y'all. Either way, have fun out there!

Taylormade M3 9.5° Tour AD DI 6S
Taylormade M5 15° PF V2 6F4
Taylormade M3-r 17° PF V2 F4-S
Titleist 913h 21° Diamana S+ Blue 82HY
Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Titleist SM7 Raw 46°, 54°, 60° PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

A couple of unmentioned courses that I'd consider is Sun City courses to get in an easy 36 hole Friday. There's 3 courses there: White Wing, Legacy Hills and Cowan Creek. They're literally 1-2 minutes from one another. It's only about a 30-35 minute drive from Mopac (1) and Research Blvd. (183). I assume you're staying at the Holiday Inn. You can play Teravista and Star Ranch another day. Both are about equal distance from your hotel, which is about 15 minutes. I've played those two courses on the same day before. Very short drive down SH-130, which will only take 5-10 minutes as long as you take the correct route and exit off SH-130. And as previously mentioned, ShadowGlen is easy to get to on your way home on Sunday. Check out from the hotel, travel South on 183 to HWY290E and you should be there in approximately 20 minutes from your hotel.

My only issue with suggesting Avery Ranch and Grey Rock is there are no other courses close enough to attempt a 36 hole day. Grey Rock is a trip down Mopac to the middle of know where and let's not forget that even weekend traffic in Austin is ridiculous, especially on Mopac.

• 2 months later...

Is there an Austin GolfWRX Facebook group? I know some other cities have made up a facebook group for guys to hook up and start playing together.

Just moved to the area and would love to find some guys to play with.

Ping G400
Ping Anser 3W
Ping Anser 3H
Ping i210 4-PW DGTI X100
Ping Glide 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* Eye2
Ping Glide 2.0 60* E/S
Ping Vault Anser 2

If you played golf in Austin today and did not enjoy it - you need to explore other activities because golf is not for you. It could absolutely not have been a better day. And the good news is that this low 90 degree weather is going to be around for a couple of weeks.

Played ShadowGlen GC and the course is in fantastic shape. Fairways are drying out and the drives are running out like they should in Summer. Greens are fast and smooth and in great shape after the rains.

Too bad that Austin doesn't have a way for want-a-be golfers to set up games. Grouplooper.com looks like it would be a great place to do it - but requires a $40/year fee to set up new groups. Still it is something to be considered as a tool for the job.

Facebook discovery would be good to draw people in - but as a tool to set up matches it is pretty limited.

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

Moved down to Austin from Boston a year ago and I've been loving the year-round golf. However I don't know too many folks and my regular playing partner (my uncle) has bailed on me for our Sunday outing and I'm looking for someone to join me at Onion Creek Sunday morning. Kizer is my home course and I got the tee time at Onion on whim. Hate to cancel and not get a round in this weekend...

I'm around a 16 handicap, 39, work in tech. Like to have a cigar when I play. :)

PM me if yer in a similar boat or just up for a casual friendly round with a stranger.

Cheers,

-Mat