2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Golfers in Austin, TX

epmonies

[quote name='bossman641' timestamp='1443196377' post='12366454']
Played ShawdowGlen for the first time yesterday since moving here 9 months ago. That course is no joke from the tips. Maybe I'll feel differently the next time since I'll have a little course knowledge, but it felt like there was nowhere to bail out on the front 9 at all. Have a couple complaints (greens slow, tee boxes uneven, and everything could be a little bit better manicured) but I'll definitely play there again for the price. If they could get that place in tip top shape it would be fantastic. So many sidehill/downhill lies. Also, I have to brag that I eagled 7. Drove up the hill to figure out where in the world to aim at and hit a hybrid just right of the church steeple to about 40 feet.
[/quote]

Been saying how awesome shadow glen could be ever since it opened . The layout is fantastic but always a little hairy . It definitely is tough from the tips .

[quote name='SticksNstones' timestamp='1443402017' post='12375856']
I have just started playing again after a 10 year dry spell. My son pulled me back in and it gas been nice to spend time out on the course. I have only played Hancock, Mustang Creek, and Hidden Falls; but I enjoyed playing them. I think I like Mustang Creek the best out of those three. Of course hitting Louie Mueller's BBQ after is good too.

I would love to meet up and play with some of you if you can stand it - I am afraid I need some work. I have no idea what my handicap would be so I round it up a bit....

what are some other courses I need to play?
[/quote]

If you live close to Harvey Penick, I would give that a try as well. Good course for practice and getting a lot of rounds without breaking the bank.

[quote name='schwollo' timestamp='1443492341' post='12381770']
Played ShawdowGlen for the first time yesterday since moving here 9 months ago. That course is no joke from the tips. Maybe I'll feel differently the next time since I'll have a little course knowledge, but it felt like there was nowhere to bail out on the front 9 at all. Have a couple complaints (greens slow, tee boxes uneven, and everything could be a little bit better manicured) but I'll definitely play there again for the price. If they could get that place in tip top shape it would be fantastic. So many sidehill/downhill lies. Also, I have to brag that I eagled 7. Drove up the hill to figure out where in the world to aim at and hit a hybrid just right of the church steeple to about 40 feet.
[/quote]

Been saying how awesome shadow glen could be ever since it opened . The layout is fantastic but always a little hairy . It definitely is tough from the tips .
[/quote]

For any of the old-timers, how does the condition now compare to the pre-2011 closing? Was the course ever in pristine shape?

Any folks interested in getting a round on Saturday? Usually play Falconhead or Grey Rock - about a 14 index so nothing special.

Taylormade M3 9.5° Tour AD DI 6S
Taylormade M5 15° PF V2 6F4
Taylormade M3-r 17° PF V2 F4-S
Titleist 913h 21° Diamana S+ Blue 82HY
Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Titleist SM7 Raw 46°, 54°, 60° PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='ATXgolfer ' timestamp='1443401107' post='12375764']
I love Fall.. weather is cooler and courses are empty thanks to Football season... started at 5pm at Morris Williams yesterday and felt like I had the course to myself. Course is in great shape. Anyone play clay after they reopened?
[/quote]

Played Clay last weekend and it's in great shape, fws are nice and green are running smooth. The par 4 island green is more accessible now that they reduced the pond that guards it. Bail out to the right and roll it up on the green, much better. They also separated the giant bunker on number 9. Number 18 is not such a beast any longer, much easier to get on in 2 with the smaller pond. I'll be playing it again tomorrow morning.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

[quote name='bossman641' timestamp='1443561973' post='12386354']
[quote name='schwollo' timestamp='1443492341' post='12381770']
[/quote]

[/quote]

For any of the old-timers, how does the condition now compare to the pre-2011 closing? Was the course ever in pristine shape?
[/quote]
I haven't played it since the reopening but my friends have and they say it is back to pre closing shape. It was never in pristine shape .

[quote name='Norbe5' timestamp='1444022592' post='12411286']
[quote name='KK44' timestamp='1443813979' post='12401766']
I'm looking to take advantage of the nfl season and catch a round Sunday afternoon. about a 7 hdcp. Anybody interested?
[/quote]
Darn just saw this.
Where do you usually play and around what time?
[/quote]

I play all over. Haven't gotten out to too many courses yet. Have played Forest Creek, Teravista, Star Ranch, Shadowglen, Mo Willie, Grey Rock and I think that's it. Moved here about 6 months ago.

I try to take advantage of some great late-rates around here though so generally looking to go out later in the day.

TM Stealth2+ - Diamana S+ 6x
17' TM M2 15* 3 wood - Tensei Blue 7x
Nike VR Forged Combo 3-PW - Hard stepped Project X 6.0
TM MG Wedges - 52, 58
Custom Nike Oven Method 006, Toulon Las Vegas

[quote name='KK44' timestamp='1444538360' post='12440438']
[quote name='Norbe5' timestamp='1444022592' post='12411286']
[quote name='KK44' timestamp='1443813979' post='12401766']
I'm looking to take advantage of the nfl season and catch a round Sunday afternoon. about a 7 hdcp. Anybody interested?
[/quote]
Darn just saw this.
Where do you usually play and around what time?
[/quote]

I play all over. Haven't gotten out to too many courses yet. Have played Forest Creek, Teravista, Star Ranch, Shadowglen, Mo Willie, Grey Rock and I think that's it. Moved here about 6 months ago.

I try to take advantage of some great late-rates around here though so generally looking to go out later in the day.
[/quote]
I would love to catch a round with you. I'm a student at Texas State in San Marcos, so I wouldn't mind driving up the short drive. Im around a 15hdcp wouldn't mind playing with you.
Can't this Sunday, but maybe the next for sure

[quote name='SticksNstones' timestamp='1444570452' post='12441426']
Heading out to try Pine Forest today with just plain bill. The course description, rating, and slope tells me it will be a challenging day; but it will be a great day to meet a new friend and hang out in God's country :)
[/quote]

They have some good deals on golfnow. Can't beat it for $10-$15.. and its usually never busy on a weekday which is when I've played it.

My gf has to be at UT for 5-6 hours Saturday so I was going to play somewhere in Austin. What's the best course within 20 minutes of UT? I always hear about Falconhead being the best in Austin, but that's too far. Need to stay closer to UT.

Just a quick google search shows Lions but recent reviews say bad greens. Anyone got advice?

#2 has water on the right, but unless you're a big slicer, it not really in play. You have to carry the water on #5, but its only like 175 yds to get over. Water on the left on #6, but there's plenty of room right, unless you're a big hooker. Water shouldn't be an issue on #7, hit it straight and you're over. Card shows water on the rest of the front, but its not really in play. I hate #11, water on left, but not really a problem off the tee. Huge bunker on the left also off the tee, but can get out fairly easy. Hole plays very long for a par 4, although the card says its not, you may have an issue with water on the approach. Water shouldn't be in play the rest of the way until you get to 18. Water can come into play on the approach. Its a fairly open links style course and lots of fun.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Played MoWillie Saturday and the greens were brutal. Not sure what's going on there right now. I've played there a bunch and have never seen them this bad. Lots of sand on them.

TM MG Wedges - 52, 58

Jimmy Clay had bad greens, tons of dead spots and sand. And someone stole my wedge too.

I left it at 18 and put my clubs in the truck and noticed it wasn't there, no biggie, I've done this before.

Was not at the 18th hole, so I figured it was turned in. Was never turned in. Group that was behind me said they did not see it at 18 but the group behind them was still on the green, so I assume someone in that 4some took it.

Sucks. Ordered a new one this morning.

Got out and played Wolfdancer for the first time on Saturday afternoon. The pace was absolutely brutal as there were 2 tournaments going on ahead of us. Took 2 hr and 40 min to play 9 holes. Got to 10 and saw it was going to be at least a 15 minute wait before teeing off so we played the front again and then played another 4 holes on the back. Course was fantastic, I've been thinking about it since and can't wait to get out and play it again.

[quote name='jasonbird110' timestamp='1445281122' post='12478088']
Jimmy Clay had bad greens, tons of dead spots and sand. And someone stole my wedge too.

I left it at 18 and put my clubs in the truck and noticed it wasn't there, no biggie, I've done this before.

Was not at the 18th hole, so I figured it was turned in. Was never turned in. Group that was behind me said they did not see it at 18 but the group behind them was still on the green, so I assume someone in that 4some took it.

Sucks. Ordered a new one this morning.
[/quote]

That sucks. Almost happened to me at Chambers Bay earlier this year.. I left it near the green at the 15th or 16th hole.. finished 18 and waiting for the group behind us to get to the green. Asked the guy if he found a wedge, and he said no and I look at the wedge in his hand and it was mine. When asked about it, he gave it to me and said he had a brain fart.. he was a high school kid, but that was some cocky bullxxxx.

[quote name='bossman641' timestamp='1445282541' post='12478236']
Got out and played Wolfdancer for the first time on Saturday afternoon. The pace was absolutely brutal as there were 2 tournaments going on ahead of us. Took 2 hr and 40 min to play 9 holes. Got to 10 and saw it was going to be at least a 15 minute wait before teeing off so we played the front again and then played another 4 holes on the back. Course was fantastic, I've been thinking about it since and can't wait to get out and play it again.
[/quote]

I had been wondering about Wolfdancer lately. Been thinking about taking a personal day at work and heading out there for a Wednesday or something. Might have to pull the trigger on that once next month, I wonder when their fall rates will start.

TM MG Wedges - 52, 58

[quote name='KK44' timestamp='1445392376' post='12485266']
[quote name='bossman641' timestamp='1445282541' post='12478236']
[/quote]

I had been wondering about Wolfdancer lately. Been thinking about taking a personal day at work and heading out there for a Wednesday or something. Might have to pull the trigger on that once next month, I wonder when their fall rates will start.
[/quote]

Check out the [url="http://www.thefirstteeaustin.org/club/scripts/view/view_insert.asp?IID=157748&NS=GAU&APP=106"]first tee [/url]Players book, if you want to try out courses in the Austin area.

[quote name='KK44' timestamp='1445448625' post='12487774']
Thanks! Is there any fine print in there?? I'm guessing you can only play each of those courses once?
[/quote]

The SA version of this usually blacks out Friday-Sunday until 2pm. That's all I would think is in the fine print, but I am just speculating.

[quote name='jasonbird110' timestamp='1445453870' post='12488142']
[quote name='KK44' timestamp='1445448625' post='12487774']
Thanks! Is there any fine print in there?? I'm guessing you can only play each of those courses once?
[/quote]

The SA version of this usually blacks out Friday-Sunday until 2pm. That's all I would think is in the fine print, but I am just speculating.
[/quote]

How do you set up tee times? Just call the club house?