2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos Γ—

Golfers in Austin, TX

epmonies

Mat, do you only play on Sunday's or Saturday too? I play with a group of guys on Saturday and we rotate between Kizer, Likns and MoWillie. Not top notch courses, but we have lots of fun.

If it doesn't pan out for you on Sunday, you're welcome to join us tomorrow at Lions. Just let me know asap.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Another great week in Austin for golf. Being a member at ShadowGlen this year - that is where I am playing most of the time. The course is in GREAT shape after all the rain. Greens are really rolling fast and smooth. After playing at another (to be unnamed) course last year - one of the things I am loving about ShadowGlen is the tee boxes. With few exceptions - they are fantastic. Flat and with plenty of grass right now. Hope they last the year, as well as the greens.

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to hear ShadowGlen is doing better now. I like ShadowGlen, but I only play it on occasion since I live in Teravista and Star Ranch is 10 minutes away.

I've eagled #9 from the fairway, so I certainly like it.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5ΒΊ D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5ΒΊ Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21ΒΊ Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52ΒΊ & 58ΒΊ Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

just cant picture #7...only played there twice, but will be there this week some time...finally played bluebonnet today, and the back was great, but we had problems figuring out the greens, lol...bermuda and poanna made for a bumpy ride...will go back in a coupla weeks, tho...
i tend to play pine forest since i live in bastrop, mo wms, lago vista, with a smattering of rounds all around...

just cant picture #7...only played there twice, but will be there this week some time...finally played bluebonnet today, and the back was great, but we had problems figuring out the greens, lol...bermuda and poanna made for a bumpy ride...will go back in a coupla weeks, tho...
i tend to play pine forest since i live in bastrop, mo wms, lago vista, with a smattering of rounds all around...[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1435623868' post='11858504']
It's good to hear ShadowGlen is doing better now. I like ShadowGlen, but I only play it on occasion since I live in Teravista and Star Ranch is 10 minutes away.

I've eagled #9 from the fairway, so I certainly like it.
[/quote]

1st time there was by myself...the entire round! thought 9 was a dogleg right, lol...greens were sand...2nd time i went for the green and went into the trees where you might park the cart...had an opening, so punched out 12 ft past hole...missed putt coming back, but it was fun...love #18!

colovista was mostly sand on the greens, and i havent been back yet...but that's an interesting layout, especially when you hit the back and it turns into a completely different course...
there's just something about pine forest i like...#2 is a real tempter, elevated par 3's, just my kinda course, i guess...same w/ lago vista...mo wms is a great layout as well...i dont like flat courses much, i guess...

Playing ColoVista is definitely like playing 2 different courses. Front nine kinda open, back nine all trees.

No 2 at Pine Forest, iirc, isn't that a short Par 4, little bit of dogleg left over water?

MoWillie's greens were horrible a couple of weeks ago, super slow and sandy, hopefully they'll get better in a month or so. Tough course to walk.

I'll be playing Kizer this week, maybe the greens will be in better shape.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

I've played ShadowGlen with sandy greens before and it was very frustrating. When I booked the tee time there was no mention of them sanding the greens. That's been my only complaint about that course. Best way to described #7 is tee shot with open landing, then a pretty good uphill approach if you plan on laying up. If you go for it in 2, you will not see the ball land. Better stay right of the hole though because there is nothing to the left except for a drop off to very thick brush and weeds. It's definitely reachable in 2, but your approach has no room for error to the left or long. If you come up short and right, chances are you'll end up on the front of the green.

#18 is pretty straight forward. Easily reachable in 2 and with a South wind, it's reachable with a short iron.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Clay is closed until Aug or Sept. Kizer is a totally different course than Clay. Wide open and fairways in a lot better shape.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

links style course, pretty level though, only 16 and 17 have some sort of elevation change, still a pretty fun course

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

save your money on Riverside, greens are terrible and the rough is about 6-8 inches high, just a few inches off the FW and into the rough and good luck finding your ball, sucks. Valaar is an awesome course.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

[quote name='Deerslayer' timestamp='1435858671' post='11877038']
You guys should play GreyRock. It is in great condition.
[/quote]

I've lived in the Austin area since 1993 and have yet to play that course. I always forget to think about it as an option because of the drive from Georgetown. It's city owned/managed now, right?

nixed riverside...played pine forest and had a blast! lotta great holes on that layout...and i ALWAYS run into nice folks...my issue today, however, was making dumb choices...no, really...involved trees i tried to go over, but didnt...cost me a double on 9, when i could have easily gone around, but decided to go for it, like an idiot...

played Kizer last Friday and I'm happy to report that the greens are in great shape, fast and smooth. There were a couple of greens with some scaring, but overall the course was in great shape, fairways were nice and the rough was not very high.

Star Ranch on Saturday, and what can I say, Star Ranch is Star Ranch, great course, some greens were a little bumpy, but it was still a very nice experience. Most of you know that the green fee includes a breakfast and lunch buffet, good food. It was a bit far for me, I live in SW Austin and the drive to RR/Hutto was ok, definitely would go back.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

caught avery ranch today...4 singles put together and we had a great time helping each other look for misplays in the trees...i hate to complain, but the bunkers need work...and sand...about a quarter of an inch on top of hardpan...cost me 6 shots, dang it...lol...other than that, great condition, great layout...dropped 4 long putts, which was nice, since they were par savers...

played grey rock today...it's a beautiful course, but no real elevation changes...we had trouble figuring out the greens...everything went straight! prefer other types of courses, but grey might be a once a yr track for me...mo willie is a lot more fun for me...shot 81, with greens costing me at least 5 strokes...ok, maybe twice a yr, lol...rather drive to lago vista...

• 2 months later...

Played ShawdowGlen for the first time yesterday since moving here 9 months ago. That course is no joke from the tips. Maybe I'll feel differently the next time since I'll have a little course knowledge, but it felt like there was nowhere to bail out on the front 9 at all. Have a couple complaints (greens slow, tee boxes uneven, and everything could be a little bit better manicured) but I'll definitely play there again for the price. If they could get that place in tip top shape it would be fantastic. So many sidehill/downhill lies. Also, I have to brag that I eagled 7. Drove up the hill to figure out where in the world to aim at and hit a hybrid just right of the church steeple to about 40 feet.

I have just started playing again after a 10 year dry spell. My son pulled me back in and it gas been nice to spend time out on the course. I have only played Hancock, Mustang Creek, and Hidden Falls; but I enjoyed playing them. I think I like Mustang Creek the best out of those three. Of course hitting Louie Mueller's BBQ after is good too.

I would love to meet up and play with some of you if you can stand it - I am afraid I need some work. I have no idea what my handicap would be so I round it up a bit....

what are some other courses I need to play?