Golfers in Austin, TX

epmonies

Bluebonnet....ran into a fellow grxw fan...Jeff and I were put together as singles and we had a blast! I kinda struggled off the tee, but did manage a 38 on the front thanks to consecutive birdies with the magic putter...but I messed up the back with 3 poor choices...I'm still disgusted, lol...81 on the day, Jeff 79...I think Jeff cheated. He was out driving me with some illegal club. I think he called it a 3 wood...
Spending Xmas in round rock, but drove back to Gastropoda to get a couple clubs...(bastrop...autocorrect is stupid).
Jeff had a good word of advice for me...take up ping pong...seriously, he said do what works for you...use the clubs that work for you and your swing...perfect those aspects of your game so you can be consistent...my 3 lousy choices cost me 5 shots, including water balls on 16 & 17...
Hit the 31* hybrid 190 on one hole, then couldn't hit it 150 on 17...splash...reteed the ball as high as I could, took the 16* and choked way down, nice easy pass, and Im dancing...
Golf...

[quote name='AustinLefty' timestamp='1451005446' post='12760972']
I had a blast playing with you today as well. Hopefully we'll get a chance to play a round out at Kizer, Lions, or Colovista soon. You caught me on a day when I was hitting the ball as well as I have in quite a while. I ended up with 37 putts though so I definitely need to spend some time working on that.
[/quote]
Lefty, you got all kinda game! I quit counting putts cuz there are too many variables...also I tried today to treat my putts like they are chips, mentally, and I find it takes some of the pressure off...
I switched out some clubs...gotta go with what wrx!

[quote name='ATXgolfer ' timestamp='1451009128' post='12761156']
I was at bluebonnet today.. showed up at 3:30pm and they said course was closing at 4pm.. called up Shadowglen.. same story. Headed over to Riverside and played 9 holes..
I did play 18 @ bluebonnet on Monday.. its always first on my list when I don't have any hotdeal tee times lined up ahead of time
[/quote]
If I lived in s.austin, I'd practically live at kizer...the practice area is huge!

If any of y'all play in bastrop on a regular basis let me know. I live in La Grange so it's pretty rare for me to make it into Austin to play, but I play at either colovista or pine forest at least every other week

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1540362-raholland71-witb/#entry16159836"]WITB[/url]
Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport Circle T

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I had a buddy pull out for our tee time at 11:54 at Shadowglen so I have an opening and it's only $15. Anybody want in?

TM Stealth2+ - Diamana S+ 6x
17' TM M2 15* 3 wood - Tensei Blue 7x
Nike VR Forged Combo 3-PW - Hard stepped Project X 6.0
TM MG Wedges - 52, 58
Custom Nike Oven Method 006, Toulon Las Vegas

The Austin Golf Association season starts up again this Sunday.. I've been a member for 4-5 years now and its a different experience playing competitive (or with a little cash on the line)..

Its always fun and flighted by handicap.. details are on the website http://ghin.com/eclub/aga

Would someone wanting to join just pay the yearly due and is automatically in all those tournaments or each tournament is a certain entrance fee?

Very interested in this, I live in San Marcos and would love to have a constant tournament thing to go to! Even if it's for fun and not actually winning haha

The Austin Golf Association season starts up again this Sunday.. I've been a member for 4-5 years now and its a different experience playing competitive (or with a little cash on the line)..

Its always fun and flighted by handicap.. details are on the website http://ghin.com/eclub/aga

Would someone wanting to join just pay the yearly due and is automatically in all those tournaments or each tournament is a certain entrance fee?

Very interested in this, I live in San Marcos and would love to have a constant tournament thing to go to! Even if it's for fun and not actually winning haha

Norbe, I was wondering this too and from what I can gather, you pay the $50 yearly due just to be able to play and for handicap keeping. It says tournament fees are generally slightly above normal greens fees at the course the tournament is at. And you are also on your own for cart and range balls. I thought they would at least throw in range balls. Then there are also gross/net score and skins games you can buy in to. Seems like costs can add up quickly. I really want to do this but the cost would prevent me from playing in many events.

TM MG Wedges - 52, 58

• $50 dues for membership covers $25 for official GHIN handicap and you get drinks/snacks at every tournament. They cater food for 3-4 tournaments..
  • They also collect 1$ over green fee that goes into this pool
  • Everything else is voluntary (money games - low gross ($10), low net ($10), Skins ($5-$10) and CTP ($4)
  • It is volunteer led, so no sponsors and all $$ are accounted for by the board
  • Comes to $60-$70 per tournament (I always enter all the games, some folks prefer to skip gross/net depending on where they are in the flight; other forgo Skins etc). $80-$100 for some of the premium courses.. (don't skip Lakecliff.. one of my favorites)
  • You can play all or pick and choose. I end up playing 10-15 tournaments, as I have kids soccer games etc, else would play most of them
  • You need to play in at least 5, to be eligible to play in the 2-day championship. They have a Calcutta for this tournament, where there is an auction for betting on players and folks end up betting $75-$150 on a player (for a 3-4x return if they win).

It is fun.. you will meet new golfers and make friends. You can make requests to be paired with folks you know and are comfortable playing with.. I love the competition and this has made golf a lot more fun for me. I am always thinking about how I can improve and this provides a benchmark.. I moved from the 3rd flight to the 2nd flight and hope to be in the 1st flight in the near future

horrible formatting, but good read to learn more - http://www.austingolfassociation.com/faq.html

Norbe, I was wondering this too and from what I can gather, you pay the $50 yearly due just to be able to play and for handicap keeping. It says tournament fees are generally slightly above normal greens fees at the course the tournament is at. And you are also on your own for cart and range balls. I thought they would at least throw in range balls. Then there are also gross/net score and skins games you can buy in to. Seems like costs can add up quickly. I really want to do this but the cost would prevent me from playing in many events.

Darn, yeah the cost seems to add up quickly and my student budget won't be able to afford it unfortunately. It seems like it would be a lot of fun though!

Thanks for that ATX! I'm going to join! Sounds like too much fun to pass up and I LOVE to compete but have never done anything like this.

Do most guys walk or ride?

TM MG Wedges - 52, 58

Thanks for that ATX! I'm going to join! Sounds like too much fun to pass up and I LOVE to compete but have never done anything like this.

Do most guys walk or ride?

I think its mix of 60% walking and 40% riding.. I always walk.. unless it is a course where you are paying for the cart (Avery, Shadowglen, Lakecliff, Cowan Creek etc. Althou there are guys that walk these courses as well...

Glad to hear you are joining! Look forward to teeing it up with you.. 1st tournament is this Sunday @ Kizer.. it is too late for you to get into that one... Next is Clay followed by Shadowglen..

Cool I do enjoy walking. I'll have to invest in a pull cart. Or is that frowned upon? I'm out of town this weekend anyway so I'll have to try to get in for Clay.

TM MG Wedges - 52, 58