I absolutely did not figure out Hogan's secret about 30 weekends ago

@DW

Re Schlee, I don't think that is Schlee's main point.

@HF and Drewspin

The MacKenzie findings on axial torque is flawed because it didn't consider a very important thing that will GREATLY affect the torque. So, if the test-guinea pig golfer doesn't have that exact important thing of Hogan, the findings would be the exact opposite.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@HF and Drewspin

The Mackenzie findings is flawed. It didn't consider or take into account one important thing that Hogan had. So, if the guineau pig golfer didn't have that thing, the results would actually be the entire opposite.

@DW

Trust me, the Life article said that when Hogan had that cup and weak grip, he couldn't hook it no matter how much wrist he puts into the DS and no matter how hard he tried to roll into and through the ball.

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1342628553' post='5299966']
@HF and Drewspin

The Mackenzie findings is flawed. It didn't consider or take into account one important thing that Hogan had. So, if the guineau pig golfer didn't have that thing, the results would actually be the entire opposite.

@DW

Trust me, the Life article said that when Hogan had that cup and weak grip, he couldn't hook it no matter how much wrist he puts into the DS and no matter how hard he tried to roll into and through the ball.
[/quote]

You're thinking of the SI article, not Life, which is why I didn't remember the exact quote:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1130032/index.htm

We can debate the method, but the effect is the same.

[quote name='Dire Wolf' timestamp='1342629846' post='5300142']
[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1342628553' post='5299966']
@HF and Drewspin

@DW

[/quote]

You're thinking of the SI article, not Life, which is why I didn't remember the exact quote:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1130032/index.htm

We can debate the method, but the effect is the same.
[/quote]

No. The '55 LIFE Hogan Secret article. He didn't hold off anything based in that article.

June 8, 1955 issue:

http://books.google.com.ph/books?id=ylYEAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=html_text

• 3 months later...

Feel like I came in in the middle of the movie...which elbow and what motion?

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1351175756' post='5843769']
HOGAN LIVES!!!!... In Tylers elbow. Wish you had a slowmo of this!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdPUfJlNJL4&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdPUfJlNJL4&feature=plcp[/url]
[/quote]

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1351213917' post='5847365']
No movie. But it looks like Tyler's impact and release are getting more and more solid.
[/quote]

OK, but did not help me. You say "Hogan lives in Tyler's elbow". My question was which elbow (assume you mean right) and which position are you liking?

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1351257771' post='5849003']
No movie. But it looks like Tyler's impact and release are getting more and more solid.
[/quote]

OK, but did not help me. You say "Hogan lives in Tyler's elbow". My question was which elbow (assume you mean right) and which position are you liking?
[/quote]

Oh, sorry. Thought everybody already know what I was talking about. His right elbow at and after impact.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1351261378' post='5849261']
[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1351257771' post='5849003']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Oh, sorry. Thought everybody already know what I was talking about. His right elbow at and after impact.
[/quote]

Ok, not meaning to be dense, but what's special about his right elbow at impact? I've watched the move about 20 times and looks like a lot of guys who just hit the ball average at best (not knocking this guys swing obviously). Thanks

Thanks for kind words BHSP, Chiva and TA. I think my release has gotten better for sure. I'm going to see Slicefixer this coming Monday so I'm going to post up some "before videos" before I go and then do after ones too.

My arm swing and pivot is still pretty sloppy IMO. I struggle with having too much lateral move and a lot of arm run on, but I have a new feeling I think will help fix it.

Swisstrader - what BHSP and I and a bunch of other Hogan lovers/wannabes like to see through impact is the arms not chasing out away from the body at impact. So the right elbow stays bent longer (at and post impact) and closer to the body, as the club head doesn't go left to fast post impact. So arms are more down and club more out is the look, or a angle between the shaft and the arms post impact instead of them being in a strait line. I've never been good at this since I started playing a long time ago, but lately I've been able to do it. So that's the elbow thing he is talking about. But you can do this and still hit it like crap. I've proven that, although I'm starting to learn how to use it lately and have been hitting it better.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1352418338' post='5909799']
Yahhhh, speaking of Tyler. I think he went to get his slice fixed. Wonder how it was?
[/quote]

speaking of which...how's your ball flight? :D

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1352469774' post='5911617']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1352418338' post='5909799']
Yahhhh, speaking of Tyler. I think he went to get his slice fixed. Wonder how it was?
[/quote]

speaking of which...how's your ball flight? :D
[/quote]

Ball flight is reeeeeeeal good. Finally getting enough confidence when I go to the range to get right there in the middle of everybody. I used to be waaaaaaay over to the right side so nobody would look at me. Golf is fun now!

Yep. I went to see the man himself.

It was by far the best golf decision I've ever made. I wish I went earlier, but after working hard for the past 2 years I can appreciate Geoff's teachings more now. And his ridiculously good student's swings.

I was definitely on the wrong path before too. Focusing on way too much crap instead of what's most important. Like Hogan said, I wasn't getting to the root cause of my problems. Geoff cut right to them.

Hoganfan said before I went something like Geoff would help me focus on the "few important things of the golf swing instead of them many unimportant things." I wanted to believe Hoganfan but I thought it was impossible because I had so much crap floating in my head from 2 years of confusing myself (see my many silly threads, including this one) and experimenting (although I do think going through that process will ultimately help me and my understanding of the swing, but I always look for the silver lining so I'm bias).

Anyway, he's the swing in case anyone is interested. I have a ton of work to do, but thankfully it's less about experimenting and more about following a path Geoff has laid out. And I trust his path after seeing players he took from beginner to world-class technique.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qhifLKuAFk&feature=g-crec-u"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qhifLKuAFk&feature=g-crec-u[/url]

Glad you had a great experience TD. Wish I could have been there as well! While understanding every last nuance and variation is a good thing for a teacher, it's usually a disaster for the student to try to turn his golf swing into a complicated science experiment. Would be interested to hear what things he helped to correct and clear up for you.

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1352480906' post='5912343']
Glad you had a great experience TD. Wish I could have been there as well! While understanding every last nuance and variation is a good thing for a teacher, it's usually a disaster for the student to try to turn his golf swing into a complicated science experiment. Would be interested to hear what things he helped to correct and clear up for you.
[/quote]

Yeah I definitely turned my swing into a science experiment. More like pseudo science lol.

The main things we worked on were grip and setup. Pivot as well, but it was secondary and it was easier to pivot well after taking care of the first two things. The grip also helped tighten up my arm swing, which I usually get super long and out of sync with a bent left arm to boot.

But what happened after getting the grip and setup correct was doing everything else became much easier. IMO my pivot, release and backswing are much better in the video above, but I didn't really have to focus on those things for them to improve.

How are Elle and Ben doing? Elle usually rests her head on my right foot during my swing. Helps me stay more calm in my lower body action.

Love it!

Great to hear you had a good time sir!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1352482604' post='5912491']
His dogs are awesome. Except for Baxter (the little one who's fur covers his eyes completely). That blind little sh*t chewed up my $200 revos "all to hell". My fault for leaving them out though. It was pretty hilarious actually.
[/quote]

I haven't met Baxter yet. Buster maybe? I know they got another smaller one named Rocky. Awesome if they got another dog!!!

How about range cat? That cat lives better than we do!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*