2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Found the perfect hybrid (finally)... and it's from Miura

RLL33

Found the perfect hybrid for me (finally…), and who makes it…? Miura.

I’ve been trying hybrids since the first TaylorMade Rescue came out. Been through all of the TM’s, then Bobby Jones, Ping, and Titleist. Still went back to my 4-iron as inevitably the hybrids either ballooned on me or started hooking even when I played fine with them for a while. Stayed with the Titleist 910H the longest because I could adjust it. But it sometimes felt head heavy, and the black paint on it chipped easily, distracting my eye.

I’ve been playing Miura wedges for a few years, especially after trying the Y-grinds. So when I saw they had a hybrid, I figured why not, maybe the description as a club much more like an iron in appearance at address and assurance of no ballooning would hold up.

I’ve gotten all my wedges directly by calling the Vancouver Miura office (amazingly there are no Miura dealers that I know of in LA proper…), and while being on the “friends of Miura” list has been a real treat for me for a lot of reasons, I decided to go to ace fitters David Dugally and Sean Greenbaum at TheGolfCoastOnline.com down in Orange County to build me the hybrid. After a good talk with David about it, and my affinity for Project-X shafts, he turned me on to the new Project-X Black shaft and sent me the HB-3 (20 degree) with Project X Black 5.5.

Well, first hit on the range – the sweetest sound and feel I’ve ever had anywhere near a bybrid. I mean S-W-E-E-T! Crisp but soft, smooth as those wedges, and the Project-X Black was incredibly solid even though lighter than I expected. Every shot a nice little baby draw. And no ballooning – even when I caught one good to 200 yards. Flew like the 3-iron I still can't hit is supposed to...

Then took it to the course and found the same thing. Sweet off the fairway or tee, but most importantly, quick, smooth, and easy out of the rough. Distance with – again – no ballooning, and a nice soft landing.

I’ll put some pics below. I just can’t say enough about how sweet this club is. You can see from the pictures that it really does sit and look like a long iron more than a hybrid at address. It’s taller (deeper) than most hybrids I’ve played – as Miura puts it, it sits to the height of a golf ball. And the two tiered bottom definitely does what is advertised out of the rough.

So, once again Miura just does it for me… If you’re a feel player, you gotta feel this club.

Oh, and I also decided to drive down to finally have a full fitting at David and Sean’s place in Santa Ana. I’d gotten ahold of a CB301 six iron from Miura in Vancouver, and sure enough, it tested out the way it felt to me – i.e., made for me. And yeah, I decided to pop for the rest of 4 thu 9, and Sean is building them for me this week… Can’t wait to get them next week! <g>

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that is one beautiful club.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Those are great hybrids....I use both HB3 and HB4....BUT I gotta ask...did they shim in a .335" shaft? I can't find a .350" PX black shaft on the website. All Miura hybrids ...both HB series and the older UT series are .350" parallel hosels.

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

[quote name='FLOGMR' timestamp='1339306603' post='5060592']
Those are great hybrids....I use both HB3 and HB4....BUT I gotta ask...did they shim in a .335" shaft? I can't find a .350" PX black shaft on the website. All Miura hybrids ...both HB series and the older UT series are .350" parallel hosels.
[/quote]

We waited several weeks because there weren't any taper tips even in the country, but David finally got the [color=black]Project X Black Hybrid 5.5 .355”taper tip [/color]for me.

P.S. It was worth the wait ! You can contact David or Sean at TheGolfCoastOnline.com or at Vector Golf. They provide what they call "concierge service" to Miura customers, and I can testify that they live up to it.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1339359652' post='5062490']
[quote name='FLOGMR' timestamp='1339306603' post='5060592']
[/quote]

We waited several weeks because there weren't any taper tips even in the country, but David finally got the [color=black]Project X Black Hybrid 5.5 .355”taper tip [/color]for me.

P.S. It was worth the wait ! You can contact David or Sean at TheGolfCoastOnline.com or at Vector Golf. They provide what they call "concierge service" to Miura customers, and I can testify that they live up to it.
[/quote]

So they ground down a .355 taper to get it in? Hope there is enough material to be strong at the top of the hosel....that shaft would be .370 at the top of the hosel before grinding it down...be just the same as grinding down a .370 graphite iron shaft....Are the walls of the PX Black pretty thick at the tip??
.........let us know how it holds up.

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

Good lord is that one ugly club! Looks good in your bag though.

Chris Herrbach

Director of Golf - American Heroes Foundation

WITB:
Driver: Ping G430 LST 
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Titanium @14.25* 
Hybrid: PING G425
Irons: PING i230 4-PW 
Wedges: GW - PING Glide 3.0 50, SW Mizuno T22 54*, LW Indi TT 60*
Putter: LAB Golf LINK with Stability Tour Black shaft.

I'm glad it works for you mate. When I was going through the Miura fitting, we tried these out pretty extensively but I just couldn't get along with it. I couldn't get a hang of the feel and it kept the ball way to low for me. I do like the sole though, it's got enough heel to toe camber to take to pretty much any lie.

Seems to be a great club, just not for me.

• 2 years later...

I have a HB4 with an Aerotech SteelFiber shaft coming next week. Can't wait as these seem to be doing well in the hands of people who own them

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I took a look at them, but didn't get a chance to hit it. The convex face threw me off. If it's supposed to be based on an iron, shouldn't the face be flat(ter)?

Nice bag!

PING G425 9º Driver w/Mitsubishi C6 Red
PING G25 3W & 2 Hybrid 17º
Epon AF-302 4i-PW w/ TT XP 95
Miura K Grind 52º (TT XP 95), 56º & 64º (TT DG Spinner)
Bettinardi Tour Stock BB34

[quote name='Tiptx1122' timestamp='1403653714' post='9569987']
I have a HB4 with an Aerotech SteelFiber shaft coming next week. Can't wait as these seem to be doing well in the hands of people who own them
[/quote]You should enjoy it, one of the best sounding and looking hybrids to date!
[quote name='24hrclown' timestamp='1403681637' post='9572427']
I took a look at them, but didn't get a chance to hit it. The convex face threw me off. If it's supposed to be based on an iron, shouldn't the face be flat(ter)?

Nice bag!
[/quote]I have the HB 3 and 4 and also the i25 with its "flat" face. I can work the Miura just as easily as the i25 with a little more forgiveness in the Miura. The only reason I'm playing the i25 over the Miura right now, is I have an 87 gram hybrid shaft in the i25 vs a 60+ gram wood shaft in the Miura. I may switch back though, cause I reminisce all the times I was able to hit knockdown shots from 185-190 yards (hb4) and 200-210 yards (hb3). The sole on the Miura are versatile as well, can't remember how many times I've hit an errant drive to the right and the rescue rescued me from soft dirt, pine straw, light rough, etc.

May put em back in the bag before the seasons up. The only gripe I have with them is not being able to put a Speeder HB 8.8 in.

@therealping

I hit the HB4 last week with a Nippon 950 steel fwy shaft. Talk about easy to hit !!

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

I'm playing them on aerotech steelfiber Hfs75, call them my rough savers :)

A-Grind 10,5 - Veylix alpina 573 wildeye
Roddio Baffy - Veylix alpina 573 wildeye
Ryoma UT 21 & 24 - Veylix alpina 673
Epon AF-705 6-AW - Veylix alpina 673
Seven 52 - Veylix alpina 673
Seven 56/60- Steelfiber i95
Grindworks Plus One 380 Sakura edition - Dogatti PT135

[quote name='Tiptx1122' timestamp='1403653714' post='9569987']
[/quote] Well I thought next week as this was what I was told and to find out that no one has even talked to the rep. I know I talked to several other places and there is a waiting period...much longer than I want to wait so I going to give the PING Anser Hybrid a go.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Placed my order at 8:15 am EST this morning. Received tracking info at 12:20 today and it will be at my office by end of business tomorrow.

Steelfiber in my soon to be new 3 hybrid weapon. I'll let you guys know how it goes in my Wednesday game.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

• 2 months later...

Updates?

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Looks an awful lot like my BH 4h, 24°, on 4i Apex edge, stiff, shaft. It also has the convex face.

I'm not bashing on Miura, it just caught my attention, on looks alone, from the posted pictures.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)