2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No one at my club recognizes Japanese clubs!.!..!??!

Tenngolfer

The look on peoples faces when you tell them you have a set of 'Yamahas'............don't they make motorbikes!?! Priceless

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ian-500' timestamp='1341326097' post='5210010']
The look on peoples faces when you tell them you have a set of 'Yamahas'............don't they make motorbikes!?! Priceless
[/quote]Your reply should be..."yea but since Suzuki is running away with the market they started making golf clubs"...LOL

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='Ondeck25' timestamp='1341327516' post='5210162']
[/quote]Your reply should be..."yea but since Suzuki is running away with the market they started making golf clubs"...LOL
[/quote]

LMBO... someone the other day saw my Yonex and was like "aren't they big into Tennis rackets.." yep..found this badboy with a fujikura at Walmart ;-)

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1341328010' post='5210224']
[/quote]

LMBO... someone the other day saw my Yonex and was like "aren't they big into Tennis rackets.." yep..found this badboy with a fujikura at Walmart ;-)
[/quote]I think they do ping pong paddles too. Love the Walmart comment...that's funny.

Editor Product Reviews

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha ... other people are so stupid and you're so smart!

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you had read the thread you would've seen that it is a consensus that outside of WRX that JDM products are basically unheard of. Myself and the majority of people chiming in all agree that if not for WRX alot of us still wouldn't know what they are. I myself didn't know until i found WRX (as i also previously stated). Alas, the only person calling anyone stupid or implying anything negative is YOU.

nice try and keep up the trolling buddy.. you might have more luck over on the Lord of the Rings fansite if you go over there and start trashing the new Hobbit movie. Just go over there and say that the really cool ring that Bilbo Baggins used was forged in Japan.. really gets everyone in an uproar.

[/quote]

[/quote]

And he then laughed at you for thinking Yonex sells racquets at Wal-Mart. Bar none, Yonex has the best quality control of any racquet company....and has a following among the tennis 'geekdom' that rivals JDM's.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I have that same problem too. I used to play an Epon EMB driver (now a Katana driver) and no one has ever said - Oh those are popular in Japan...many golfers have not even heard of Scratch Wedges before either (I have 3).

Too bad - the craftmanship is extraordinary - but man are they pricey.

TK3

My set-up:
Bag - Flex Tech Crossover
Driver - Ping G430 MAX with HZRDUS Black Smoke

3 Wood - Ping G430

Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 Hybrid
Irons - Cobra King Tour irons

Wedges - Ping Glide 4  50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Shoes - Ecco Hybrid
Ball - Maxfli Tour X

[quote name='TK3' timestamp='1341351368' post='5212488']
I have that same problem too. I used to play an Epon EMB driver (now a Katana driver) and no one has ever said - Oh those are popular in Japan...many golfers have not even heard of Scratch Wedges before either (I have 3).

Too bad - the craftmanship is extraordinary - but man are they pricey.

TK3
[/quote]

Yes but I think worth it. I am not too far away from the scratch headquarters. I have debated getting fitted for wedges and maybe some sb1s... I am trying to at least keep my golf ho at bay until 2013.., my eBay total for the year makes me slow down

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1341335238' post='5210934']

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you had read the thread you would've seen that it is a consensus that outside of WRX that JDM products are basically unheard of. Myself and the majority of people chiming in all agree that if not for WRX alot of us still wouldn't know what they are. I myself didn't know until i found WRX (as i also previously stated). Alas, the only person calling anyone stupid or implying anything negative is YOU.

nice try and keep up the trolling buddy.. you might have more luck over on the Lord of the Rings fansite if you go over there and start trashing the new Hobbit movie. Just go over there and say that the really cool ring that Bilbo Baggins used was forged in Japan.. really gets everyone in an uproar.
[/quote]

Troll boy, the only reason you posted was to show how superior you are. I have taken notice and commented on your superiority. Now resume telling everyone how stupid the masses are for thinking your clubs came from WalMart and how you'll take all their money with your superior golf game.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath here...this is all in good fun...and for the record I knew about JDM before becoming a member here. And at no point do I think any other golfer is dumb for not knowing about JDM or any other brand or product. Now exhale and resume having fun talking about golf.

Editor Product Reviews

[quote name='Bottlenosedolphin' timestamp='1341362737' post='5213390']
The theme of this thread is dishonesty.

The real question is if JDM stuff was much more mainstream and well known would you really like it as much?

Yeah didn't think so.
[/quote]

Ouch, didn't you post in another thread about your miura wedges? Guess maybe they aren't just hyped up exotic clubs...

Hmm, even if what you said was 100% true, not sure where the dishonesty comes into play. Maybe you are saying you don't think jdm is better so I am being dishonest about how good i think jdm is?? I don't care what you meant.

Anything rare or exotic always has more appeal than anything you can buy at any local store. If oems were the rare and exotic I would still be gaming my jdms. I just posted a few days ago in an epon thread I would play the ugliest club in the world if it was best for me and my golf game, I don't care who made it.

If I was going for wow factor I would buy some tileists or new pings and put expensive shafts in them, something everyone would know and recognize.

[quote name='Ondeck25' timestamp='1341371891' post='5214272']
I think everyone needs to take a deep breath here...this is all in good fun...and for the record I knew about JDM before becoming a member here. And at no point do I think any other golfer is dumb for not knowing about JDM or any other brand or product. Now exhale and resume having fun talking about golf.
[/quote]

Neither do I. I posted repeatedly that I didn't even know jdm until I found this forum. I guess noone read that part of the thread ;-)

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1341259140' post='5205696']

dont assume things.. I was not disappointed.. as I have said now for like the 6th time I was curious as to noone knowing about JDM was something unique to my area, or in general. The consensus is that it is a general thing that noone knows about JDM. I am quite content that noone knows about my JDM goodies and prefer it that way. I think I said that in my original post too.

I don't play clubs to impress others, I play what makes [u][b]ME[/b][/u] happy, and right now it is definitely JDM.. I don't see ithat changing anytime soon.

I do think alot of people are missing out because they only rely on mainstream media and advertising to tell them what clubs to play.. the majority of golfers miss out on a very good market of clubs because of it. Luckily the internet allows us access to information and products we would have never found out about if not for it.
[/quote]

Again, I'd really like to know what I'm missing out on. More technical the explanation the better.

This is a serious question.

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1341380792' post='5214844']Again, I'd really like to know what I'm missing out on. More technical the explanation the better.

[/quote]
there's no need to get technical because the answer is simple. feel, quality, and craftsmanship...if your into those things. if not, then you're not missing out on anything since off the rack clubs will be more than adequate for most golfers.

to me it's no different than owning a fine mechanical timepiece.

if you have the bucks and hanker after something exotic just go for it. if people don't swoon on the tee box don't be surprised if no-ones ever heard of the stuff, or has a chuckle when they hear what you paid for it. In reality they would probably notice more if you turned up with a bag full of the latest Pings or Rocketballz

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1341384220' post='5214952']
[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1341380792' post='5214844']Again, I'd really like to know what I'm missing out on. More technical the explanation the better.

[/quote]
there's no need to get technical because the answer is simple. feel, quality, and craftsmanship...if your into those things. if not, then you're not missing out on anything since off the rack clubs will be more than adequate for most golfers.

to me it's no different than owning a fine mechanical timepiece.
[/quote]

Said better than I could've said it. +1

couple things

Swisstrader is acting like an unhinged nutball in this thread. Insulting people while demanding an apology because others should be insulted is a Double face palm/epic fail.

The OP was clearly looking for some type of validation from strangers for his JDM bag and disappointed he didn't get it. The like minded Jdm fans are joining in suggesting that fishing for compliments was not his intent, because it's easier for them to feel that way about themselves when no one gives a damn about their gear either.

That is not to say that i am completely unsympathetic to the OP's plight. I wore my "I hate Thrillhouse" hat AND shirt last weekend and NOT ONE GUY commented on it. I was bitterly disappointed there. So i decided to go to the range and just help some people who clearly needed it.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1341411190' post='5215672']
couple things

Swisstrader is acting like an unhinged nutball in this thread. Insulting people while demanding an apology because others should be insulted is a Double face palm/epic fail.

The OP was clearly looking for some type of validation from strangers for his JDM bag and disappointed he didn't get it. The like minded Jdm fans are joining in suggesting that fishing for compliments was not his intent, because it's easier for them to feel that way about themselves when no one gives a damn about their gear either.

That is not to say that i am completely unsympathetic to the OP's plight. I wore my "I hate Thrillhouse" hat AND shirt last weekend and NOT ONE GUY commented on it. I was bitterly disappointed there. So i decided to go to the range and just help some people who clearly needed it.
[/quote]

I was going to reply to this, but I think you insulting everyone that had a different opinion than yours speaks for itself.

I have been reading this thread since it started and find it all a bit amusing.........one of the terms that is wildly thrown around on WRX is [i][b]JDM[/b][/i].....obviously referring to Japanese made clubs. Well guys....JDM stands for [i][b]Japanese Domestic Market[/b][/i] and denotes items made exclusively for the the Japanese home market....in other words "Not for Export"
In the auto industry JDM cars are quite sought after in other markets because enthusiasts believe they have some sort of cache that is not perceived in USDM vehicles.
Almost all the Japanese clubs that guys are raving about on WRX as JDM are not that at all........they are Japanese made or designed but are USDM in every way....they are made for the US Domestic Market.......export items made for sale in the rest of the world.
Since the OP has a set of Miura TB irons, let's use Miura as an example.....If you have Hagane, Miuraism or Miura Giken clubs those ARE JDM....but all the "Miura" models (Including mine) are export models and thus are USDM.
A small point I know but still worth thinking about.
BTW....I have been playing Yonex and Miura clubs for the last 20+ years and all I would say about the OP's premise about whether they are known or not is that they seem to fall into two categories....those who recognize them and covet them....... and all the masses who have never heard of them or simply don't care. I was in Phoenix last fall on a golf trip and had a pro at one of the courses comment on my bag of Miuras......"Aren't those the cheap knock-offs made in Korea ?"
I don't see any special cache in any of these clubs....they are just a quality made golf club from another country. Oh and bye the way.......They are USDM!!

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter