2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Wilson Staff D100 Prototype in Ricky Barnes Bag

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds interesting. I really think that Wilson need to take a leaf our of PING's book and design something classic and simple that performs really well like they did with the G2, and then go from there. Abandoning the TiSI range and keeping it simple really worked in getting it into the bags of their staff players and because it was well priced amatuers took to it too. I'd argue that Mizuno need to do the same thing except that it appears that they have been and it hasn't worked all that well, and guys like Charles Howell III are gaming the i20, which is probably testament to PING.

[quote name='m4tTy333' timestamp='1343271112' post='5355038']
Not sure why, but for some reason I can never get into WIlson Staff clubs
[/quote]

A lot of people feel that way because Wilson has a broad range of products. Most of which are cheap beginner clubs that are sold at Kmart and other low price point outlets.

The Staff line however is a completely different story. I play the FG62 irons and they are incredible. A very well balanced club. Hitting em pure is a beautiful thing.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

[quote name='Steve Ryan' timestamp='1343271725' post='5355110']
[quote name='m4tTy333' timestamp='1343271112' post='5355038']
Not sure why, but for some reason I can never get into WIlson Staff clubs
[/quote]

A lot of people feel that way because Wilson has a broad range of products. Most of which are cheap beginner clubs that are sold at Kmart and other low price point outlets.

The Staff line however is a completely different story. I play the FG62 irons and they are incredible. A very well balanced club. Hitting em pure is a beautiful thing.
[/quote]

I believe it man. There is just something about them. And I'm not the type of player that won't use a product because of the name. I mean last year I played to a 1.6, 2.2 this year and I had no problem playing a Top Flite Gamer for a solid month or so. Use a 5 wood that is ancient, Callaway Steelhead III. They really just don't look appealing to my eye I guess

Here is a link to a pic of his bag. the d100 is present.
[url="http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/byron-nelson-championship-studio-shot-of-wilson-golf-bag-news-photo/145028175"]http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/byron-nelson-championship-studio-shot-of-wilson-golf-bag-news-photo/145028175[/url]

[quote name='Hawkeye_7' timestamp='1343217703' post='5349184']
Here's the picture of the driver... don't know how fw looks like

[url="http://www.usga.org/equipment/images/conf_clubs/20120517.jpg"]http://www.usga.org/...bs/20120517.jpg[/url]
[/quote]

Great looking driver from the bottom. Hope it has a deep face & is light like the DXI Superlight.

Not really feeling that driver tbh! I would like to see Wilson Staff do well too. Wilson should drop the cheap sets of clubs and concentrate solely on the Staff line. They should simplify their range too and make it very classic looking. A new driver design and adjustable options at a reasonable price would help Wilson imo, totally agree with the poster who said their tour players have to get their drivers in the bag.

[quote name='Yrag' timestamp='1343478879' post='5368820']
Not really feeling that driver tbh! I would like to see Wilson Staff do well too. Wilson should drop the cheap sets of clubs and concentrate solely on the Staff line. They should simplify their range too and make it very classic looking. A new driver design and adjustable options at a reasonable price would help Wilson imo, totally agree with the poster who said their tour players have to get their drivers in the bag.
[/quote]

I think it's a chicken and the egg thing with companies like Wilson. We'd all like to see them make a range of pure players clubs that gets the tour pros excited to game them but without the full sets they sell in sporting goods stores or mail-order they'd probably go out of business. There seems to be a fine balance between quality clubs and mass market full sets. I guess we should admire a company like PING who made quality clubs the average player loved but were quickly adopted for the tour. They seem to have a pretty solid line-up which could be a role-model for Wilson Staff if they have the R&D to develop tour quality equipment but getting their players to drop the Taylor Made or other OEM drivers from their bags is a big ask.

I wonder when the last time a Wilson driver won an event? I remember seeing Padraig using the Spine driver now and again but was it in his bag when he won his majors?

Padraig used the Wilson Smooth for an extended time

9.0* Callaway Epic Flash w/ HZRDS Yellow
16.5* Callaway Rogue FW w/ Rogue Silver 70
21* Callaway Big Bertha Hyb
4-PW Callaway Apex 19 Irons w/ TT Elevate Tour
52* Callaway MD4 S Grind
56* Callaway MD4 S Grind
60* Callaway PM Grind
Odyssey OWorks Black 7S

Z Cord grips

[quote name='LorenRobertsFan' timestamp='1343513373' post='5370512']
Padraig used the Wilson Smooth for an extended time
[/quote]
He used the Smooth at the beginning of 09. He was all over the place with that thing. That's about when he started experimenting with TM drivers and woods.
07 & 08 he won his 3 majors with a Dd6+ which was not available in the US.
If they can make it adjustable, and sound good unlike the DXI(IMO) and Barnes and Paddy start playing it, then maybe they'll get noticed.

Titleist TSR3 9* 1K stiff

Titleist TS2 Hy 18* Evenflow stiff

W/S C300 Forged 4-GW Pro Modus 120 S

W/S Staff wedges 52*/56* Pro Modus 120 S

Cameron Futura 38" CB

Wilson Triad/Pro V1

• 2 months later...

I really like Wilson Staff products and currently play the FG Tour V2 irons (4-PW) and FG Tour ball and I am a 7.5 handicap...I really would love to make my whole bag Wilson Staff but my current driver is one of my favorite clubs in the bag (see sig)...Cannot wait to check out the D-100 though...

:smilie_wilson:

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

[quote name='KoKo2' timestamp='1351523309' post='5861889']
I really like Wilson Staff products and currently play the [b]Ci[color=#FF0000]11[/color][/b] irons (3-SW) and DUO ball and I am a 7.5 handicap...I really would love to make my whole bag Wilson Staff but my current driver is one of my favorite clubs in the bag (see sig)...now if the D-100 has a deep face and I can get it with a Project X 6.0, tipped and shorter than 45 I may give it a go!

[/quote]

I play the same set with ctaper shafts. could not be happier with them. everyday i find myself looking for new irons, and then i realize i love the setup i have and the need goes away. once the handicap comes down from 12 next season, i see myself playing one of their forged irons. i have not gamed the driver, woods, or hybrids, and to be honest, will not. i am very happy with my current set up that is not leaving the bag anytime soon.

but again, dont discredit the iron lineup, very good selection

There is another post here w/ a witb of Paul Lawrie showing a good look of these fairways as he is currently testing same, look very promising .

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='KoKo2' timestamp='1351523309' post='5861889']
I really like Wilson Staff products and currently play the [b]Ci[color=#ff0000]11[/color][/b] irons (3-SW) and DUO ball and I am a 7.5 handicap...I really would love to make my whole bag Wilson Staff but my current driver is one of my favorite clubs in the bag (see sig)...now if the D-100 has a deep face and I can get it with a Project X 6.0, tipped and shorter than 45 I may give it a go!

[/quote]

I picked up a DXi driver on the cheap about a month ago to replace a Callaway X. More control without a drop in distance. I have been extremely happy with the purchase and looking forward to what Wilson will be doing with this D-100 line.

[quote name='cstone72' timestamp='1352267538' post='5902083']
I play the same set with ctaper shafts. could not be happier with them. everyday i find myself looking for new irons, and then i realize i love the setup i have and the need goes away. once the handicap comes down from 12 next season, i see myself playing one of their forged irons. i have not gamed the driver, woods, or hybrids, and to be honest, will not. i am very happy with my current set up that is not leaving the bag anytime soon.

but again, dont discredit the iron lineup, very good selection
[/quote]

Very nice set up...I bet those C-Tapers look great in the black heads...I had C-Tapers in i20 irons and they are great shafts...now why did I get rid of that set? Oh yeah I am a HO! LMAO I really like my Ci11 irons but am really anticipating all the new stuff coming out and I will probably change in the Spring after the PGA show...maybe I will play the FG Tour V2 as I like KBS Tour shafts alot???

[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff

As I have mentioned I have been hitting the D-100 Driver and a 19 degree D-100 hybrid for a month now and love it. The Driver is totally new with a deep face, all black color and a nice strong sound, no tin can but solid. The std shaft is a 45 gram Matrix Ozik White shaft. The 19 hybrid is also black with the white hybrid shaft and nice and compact and solid. When the national rep. was down to my course we talked a lot about their future plans and it is looking up, that is if someone in charge gets their head out of their butt and starts doing it right. And as someone else said, get the Staff playing the Woods!!!!!!!!!! I have the Spine, the Smooth, The DXI, and the new D-100 blows them all away. The first time I hit it I took my TM Superfast TP out of the bag.

He also brought a 3 and 5 Wood but being leftie he only had them in the Driver and 3wood. The 3 wood looked great and one of our Pros hit it and said it was as good as his TM Rktblz 3 Wood. I watched him hit and it was longgggg.

The Irons are great also and quality and well constructed. The new D-100 is a game improvement Iron that really works with everyone. I saw a scratch player hit it and go WOW, and the same with a high hcpr. It is decent looking and although geared as a super game improvement Iron is good for anyone.

I play the Ci-11s and go back and forth with the Tour V2s which I really like but although at my old age, 73, I should not be able to play well with them, they are easy to hit high, solid, and straight with the KBS shafts. The Ci--11s are a bit lighter, but longer with Graphite. They are both very nice looking irons and the quality is there.

According to the Rep. they will be out on the East Coast in Feb. and they hope to get them going in the warmer areas before Dec. Prices are right, product is great, and forget the advertising hype of the "Big Boys" and go for a solid, very affordable, competitive product without a lot of BS advertising, Wilson is quality. But they do need marketing people,,,, bad.

If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend the 2012 Wilson FG Tour golf ball. It's resilient (doesn't cut easy), spins like a champ, feels good off the irons and woods, and soft as butter off the flatstick. The previous model seemed almost too soft to me off the driver and irons, but the new version is a rock star. I rank it right up there with Pro V1 and Srixon Z Star.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke TD 9*

TaylorMade Qi10 4W & 7W

Ping G430 4H

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 6-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Swag Savage Too

Bridgestone B XS yellow 

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me of does his PW look like a KZG? haha, I know it's the Wilson crest, but in that linked pic it looks like the KZG logo.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='Jut' timestamp='1352478468' post='5912149']
If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend the 2012 Wilson FG Tour golf ball. It's resilient (doesn't cut easy), spins like a champ, feels good off the irons and woods, and soft as butter off the flatstick. The previous model seemed almost too soft to me off the driver and irons, but the new version is a rock star. I rank it right up there with Pro V1 and Srixon Z Star.
[/quote]

I agree and just recently switched back to them...I gave the Duo a shot as I was going through a swing change and was losing some balls here and there...but now I am back to the FG Tour as it is as good as any premium ball out and I purchased a dozen for $37.99...oh yeah and most importantly I made my first ever [b]hole in one [/b]this past August playing this ball...