Mizuno shaft optimizer. I forgot my recommendations. Can anyone check my numbers?

bag302

lkanon, if the shop is happy to let you swing the optimizer club, I am sure they would be willing to show you how to access and reset your numbers. It is straight forward.

Since you are working on your swing perhaps you might consider investing in a swing analyser like the Skypro, this will give you swing feedback, every time you practice plus groove mode is great, for working on those hard to shift swing faults. I have no connection with Skypro just practice a lot and I like to see the feedback that the Skypro provides.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ikanon, as long as the optimizer in the "on" position, press and hold the reset button. It should read something like 9,0... something different than what it says when you just have it "on". Now you can swing. After the swing push the reset but again ( don't press and hold, that'll reset it again) and you'll see your clubhead speed. The press it again and you'll get the strinf of 4 numbers we have been talking about.

Davemac..

I was with a clubfitter today and he threw out the project X 6.0 since I hit it poorly. He had me hit the s300 just for weight/consistency and said the x100 softstepped was a good recommendation. I got good numbers off the Nippon 1150gh stiff they had and he thought hardstepped would be even better. He threw in the PXI 6.5 softstepped... do you agree on that one? He had me hitting the PXI 6.0, once I dialed it in it was great but it was easy for me to lose it left. Maybe it was the weight. The KBS all they had was stiff but what was funny is the Taylormade MC 7 iron I was hitting with felt lousy with the KBS but fine with the s300.

Recommendations based[quote name='goale45' timestamp='1418501560' post='10588693']
Hi I appreciate your help in advance
I play at 1/2 inch long 38.5 - 5 iron
my numbers 79 mph 6458
[/quote]

Recommendations are:

True Temper XP 115 S300 soft stepped
Nippon NS Pro 1150 S soft stepped
KBS Tour S soft stepped.

Your over length playing length takes care of the soft stepping, it is + 3/4 of an inch for Mizuno std 5 iron is 37 3/4.

I suggest you try the KBS Tour R as well, as always try before you buy.

[quote name='goale45' timestamp='1418503834' post='10588857']
Thanx a million Dave - i like the feel of KBS stiff -
With the 1/2 inch over I could just order taylormade mc in KBS stiff - no soft stepping?
[/quote]

If you have tested and like the KBS Tour S then you should be perfectly fine with no soft stepping. You should confirm your length and lie because the MC's are also listed as 37 3/4 inch 5 iron standard length.

[quote name='goale45' timestamp='1418571681' post='10591695']
An Optimizer question do the same numbers work for woods shafts?
my numbers are 79 - 6-4-5-8
i currently use a fubuki alpha 60 stiff at 45.5" driver
and a matrix radix 7 stiff at 43.5" 3 wood
[/quote]

There is no Mizuno software conversion to go from 6 iron swing DNA to driver shaft recommendations.

Technology wise, Ping use a propriority app hooked you to the Sky pro swing analyser to give shaft recommendations (plus driver loft) and I think the shaft state of the art at the moment is Fujikura's ENZO shaft fitting system (3 D motion capture camera system)

With new shaft models being incorporated into the software now, I had a question about the DG XP shaft.

In the past, I was recommeded as:
- Dynalite XP S300
- Nippon 1150 stiff
- KBS Tour (ss)

Does the [b]TT XP 115 S300[/b] replace the DG XP shaft? Are they similar?

Ping G25 10.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Titleist AP1 712 4-GW
Titleist SM5 56S and SM2 60/10
Bettinardi C01

Yes it is the replacement for the XP, it is also similar but it looks like the S flex is a little stronger than the XP. There is a bigger jump in stiffness between the R and S flex.

Here is a review

[url="http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/true-temper-xp115-golf-shaft-review/"]http://www.golfshaft...f-shaft-review/[/url]

The Dynalite XP was one of those elusive shafts which never had a full bend profile, perhaps the XP115 profile will be released in the next update of the wishon software.

• 2 weeks later...

DaveMac, was wondering - do you happen to know whether Mizuno adjusts swing weight on their fairway woods if I order one an inch shorter than standard? I got a chance to hit the JPX-850 fairway woods at a demo day and I loved it. It was standard spec and stiff shaft. But I choked up about an inch because the club was quite long. I will be transitioning from 10 year old Steelheads which were much shorter. I'd rather have a shorter club, but am worried that the swing weight will be different and I'll wind up less than satisfied.

I posted in the club makers forum and people were skeptical that Mizuno would do the adjustment for fairway woods - even though they routinely do it for irons. No one was sure. Their recommendation was to buy standard and work with a local clubfitter to cut it down and adjust weight.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice!

[quote name='liquidtension' timestamp='1420790080' post='10713957']
Can you please help me out too?
My number are 87 mph 4436.
[/quote]

Recommendations for your DNA are[list]
[*]Dynamic Gold S-300
[*]Project X 5.5
[*]KBS Tour S
[/list]

Important factors are:
Tempo with 4 being considered mid tempo, just a slightly smoother tempo would throw up (XP 115 S, Nippon 1150 S and KBS C Taper lite S).
Release with 6 being mid, bordering on early, with a small change here, the recommendations would change to (XP 115 S, Nippon 1150 S, KBS Tour S)

Plenty of options for you to test to find your preference.

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1420812486' post='10714739']
[quote name='liquidtension' timestamp='1420790080' post='10713957']
Can you please help me out too?
My number are 87 mph 4436.
[/quote]

Recommendations for your DNA are[list]
[*]Dynamic Gold S-300
[*]Project X 5.5
[*]KBS Tour S
[/list]
Important factors are:
Tempo with 4 being considered mid tempo, just a slightly smoother tempo would throw up (XP 115 S, Nippon 1150 S and KBS C Taper lite S).
Release with 6 being mid, bordering on early, with a small change here, the recommendations would change to (XP 115 S, Nippon 1150 S, KBS Tour S)

Plenty of options for you to test to find your preference.
[/quote]

Thanks for the help.
With regards to my release factor, should I try to work on holding it a little bit longer and getting that number to a 4 or 5?

[quote name='liquidtension' timestamp='1420825338' post='10716265']
With regards to my release factor, should I try to work on holding it a little bit longer and getting that number to a 4 or 5?
[/quote]

We can all swing the club better, it is one of the great attractions of the game, with 87 mph club head speed, you currently have enough distance to play the game to a high level. Changing you release factor, might result in an improvement in your golf game but it is up to you if you want to make the change or not (it might not even be possible!)

If you look through this thread there are a number of swing speeds over 90 MPH with this release factor so the change is not mandatory. Making the change will probably involve more than '[i]holding the angle a little bit longer[/i]' and any changes should be using the help of a trusted swing coach.

Personally I'd work on the whole swing rather than focusing on one aspect.

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1420828913' post='10716659']
[quote name='liquidtension' timestamp='1420825338' post='10716265']
[/quote]

We can all swing the club better, it is one of the great attractions of the game, with 87 mph club head speed, you currently have enough distance to play the game to a high level. Changing you release factor, might result in an improvement in your golf game but it is up to you if you want to make the change or not (it might not even be possible!)

If you look through this thread there are a number of swing speeds over 90 MPH with this release factor so the change is not mandatory. Making the change will probably involve more than '[i]holding the angle a little bit longer[/i]' and any changes should be using the help of a trusted swing coach.

Personally I'd work on the whole swing rather than focusing on one aspect.
[/quote]

Go back a page or so and you can see what Dave had for recommendations for me on the optimizer. My numbers were the same as yours, I am just a few mph's more. Had me at KBS Tour X soft stepped, Nippon 1150 Siff hardstepped, DGX 100 softstepped, PX 6.0 and PXI 6.0 hardstepped.

Don't bother trying to hold the shaft angle longer just because you don't like the shafts selected. I love the look of the c-taper but screwing up my normal swing to fit into a shaft isn't the way to go. I have a borderline early release and have a +3 handicap so its not a bad thing :rockon:

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1420844371' post='10718275']
[quote name='Whit' timestamp='1420836106' post='10717457']
90-7-4-3-4
[/quote][list]
[*]Dynamic Gold X100 (Soft stepped)
[*]Project X 6.0
[*]KBS C Taper X (Soft stepped)
[/list]
[/quote] thank you kind sir

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

[quote name='Typhoon92' timestamp='1420835254' post='10717391'] [quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1420828913' post='10716659'] [quote name='liquidtension' timestamp='1420825338' post='10716265'] With regards to my release factor, should I try to work on holding it a little bit longer and getting that number to a 4 or 5? [/quote] We can all swing the club better, it is one of the great attractions of the game, with 87 mph club head speed, you currently have enough distance to play the game to a high level. Changing you release factor, might result in an improvement in your golf game but it is up to you if you want to make the change or not (it might not even be possible!) If you look through this thread there are a number of swing speeds over 90 MPH with this release factor so the change is not mandatory. Making the change will probably involve more than '[i]holding the angle a little bit longer[/i]' and any changes should be using the help of a trusted swing coach. Personally I'd work on the whole swing rather than focusing on one aspect. [/quote] Go back a page or so and you can see what Dave had for recommendations for me on the optimizer. My numbers were the same as yours, I am just a few mph's more. Had me at KBS Tour X soft stepped, Nippon 1150 Siff hardstepped, DGX 100 softstepped, PX 6.0 and PXI 6.0 hardstepped. Don't bother trying to hold the shaft angle longer just because you don't like the shafts selected. I love the look of the c-taper but screwing up my normal swing to fit into a shaft isn't the way to go. I have a borderline early release and have a +3 handicap so its not a bad thing :rockon: [/quote]

Thanks for all the info and support. This is one of the main reasons I support our little community.

DaveMac, I have some numbers i was hoping you could run:

93/92, 3/4,4,3,5

(i was getting 3 & 4 for tempo pretty evenly with 3 generating 93mph and 4 typically at 92)

I have tried many different shafts and most lighter weight options I seem to hit a little too high and can lose them right. So if you have any opinion on a heavier shaft to try then what I think those numbers will indicate, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='Mr.Mizzy' timestamp='1420893746' post='10720843']

93/92, 3/4,4,3,5

(i was getting 3 & 4 for tempo pretty evenly with 3 generating 93mph and 4 typically at 92)

I have tried many different shafts and most lighter weight options I seem to hit a little too high and can lose them right. So if you have any opinion on a heavier shaft to try then what I think those numbers will indicate, let me know.

[/quote]

Your tempo is super smooth for the swing speed generated. The extra 1 mph clubhead does not make any difference to the recommendations.

The light weight recommendations (I guess the ones you didn't like)

True Temper XP 115 S300
Nippon NS Pro 1150 S hard stepped
C Taper lite S hard stepped

The heavier recommendations are:

Dynamic Gold X100 Soft stepped
Project X 6.0
KBS Tour X soft stepped

The optimiser is limited to Mizuno's custom shaft list, so some of the lighter options in a stronger flex might be a possibility. There are also a few more possibilities like the Dynamic Gold Pro, KBS Tour V, Nippon Modus 130 plus the super peening. There are a few of the new graphite iron shafts as well (Accra, Aldila, Aerotech, Loomis, Fujikura and UST).

The important thing is you are happy with the feel of the shaft, so if you like heavier then that is the way to go.

Thank you very much.

It's interesting, the reason I said about what I thought it would give me was due to the last time I used it and had my numbers run. It gave me ns pro 1150 x soft stepped, dynalite XP s300, PX 5.5

I'm currently playing s300 but feel that my swing is more consistent than the results. It seems that when I swing as I did with the optimizer I hit hooks with my normal set. But if I step on them a bit more I get a weak fade. I have very little room for error it seems.

Any thoughts on this?

Just as an fyi
I typically shoot 75-82 averaging 50% gir