Mizuno shaft optimizer. I forgot my recommendations. Can anyone check my numbers?

bag302

[quote name='BdaGolfer' timestamp='1382394316' post='8036541']
Bump for DaveMac...thanks for the help.
[/quote]

The Modus 120 is Nippon's take on the dynamic gold, it is not in the Mizuno system but based on the [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/740015-tom-wishon-irons-shaft-graphs-in-regular-flex/#entry5862441"]Modus 120[/url] bend profile it certainly would be a candidate for your swing, it has a softer butt so should feel smooth and the stiff tip would work well with your release, I am not sure it would add the extra launch you are looking for.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1382440533' post='8039023']
[quote name='BdaGolfer' timestamp='1382394316' post='8036541']
Bump for DaveMac...thanks for the help.
[/quote]

The Modus 120 is Nippon's take on the dynamic gold, it is not in the Mizuno system but based on the [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/740015-tom-wishon-irons-shaft-graphs-in-regular-flex/#entry5862441"]Modus 120[/url] bend profile it certainly would be a candidate for your swing, it has a softer butt so should feel smooth and the stiff tip would work well with your release, I am not sure it would add the extra launch you are looking for.
[/quote]

I am hoping to try it in the new 714MB as soon as my local store gets it in, so I will get a feel for it then. If it doesn't change the launch much I may go 1* weak with the heads (may do it regardless) - presumably this will up the launch and only add a couple hundred rpm's to the spin?

[quote name='North Shore Golfer21' timestamp='1382881219' post='8064245']
Bump here, have my numbers but not my recommendation:
84 4 4 9 7
[/quote]
Steel recommendations (Latest European version of software so includes XP105 and CTaper):[list=1]
[*]Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]KBS Tour S
[*]Nippon NS Pro 1150S
[/list]

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1383341934' post='8089864']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1383320971' post='8088424']
Could I have some shaft recommendations for 89 6,4,5,2.
[/quote]

Latest UK (European) software recommends the following steel shafts for your DNA[list=1]
[*]Dynamic Gold X100 soft stepped
[*]Project X 6.0
[*]KBS C Taper X soft stepped

Thanks Dave and perhaps goes someway to explain why when I tried the KBS C-Taper Stiff flex, that it spun just a touch too much for me. Maybe, as the shaft optimizer says, I need the X Flex Soft stepped or the S+? I'm not sure how the X Flex soft stepped differs from the S+ though, do you?
[/list]
[/quote]

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1383343798' post='8089990']
Thanks Dave and perhaps goes someway to explain why when I tried the KBS C-Taper Stiff flex, that it spun just a touch too much for me. Maybe, as the shaft optimizer says, I need the X Flex Soft stepped or the S+? I'm not sure how the X Flex soft stepped differs from the S+ though, do you?
[/quote]
I would not expect to see massive spin and launch differences moving from S+ through X soft stepped to X straight in, so I anticipate that the C Taper is simply not the best profile for your swing. All of these shafts are strong to begin with, so moving from S to X is only a moderate difference (relatively speaking). Soft stepping is even more subtly, equating to roughly 1/3 of a flex, in many cases it is tough to tell a soft stepped shaft form a straight in build.

If you have a look at the table at the start of the [url="http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/kbs-tour-c-taper-lite-golf-club-shaft-review/"]C Taper lite review[/url] it highlights how subtle the difference between S+ and X flex is.

How do the C Taper numbers stack up against the Dynamic Gold X 100?

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1383346188' post='8090142']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1383343798' post='8089990']
[/quote]
I would not expect to see massive spin and launch differences moving from S+ through X soft stepped to X straight in, so I anticipate that the C Taper is simply not the best profile for your swing. All of these shafts are strong to begin with, so moving from S to X is only a moderate difference (relatively speaking). Soft stepping is even more subtly, equating to roughly 1/3 of a flex, in many cases it is tough to tell a soft stepped shaft form a straight in build.

If you have a look at the table at the start of the [url="http://www.golfshaftreviews.info/index.php/kbs-tour-c-taper-lite-golf-club-shaft-review/"]C Taper lite review[/url] it highlights how subtle the difference between S+ and X flex is.

How do the C Taper numbers stack up against the Dynamic Gold X 100?
[/quote]

Well I must be honest, I haven't tried the X100. I hit the S300 and I just couldn't get any kind of ball flight at all. I tend to launch the ball fairly low, with a late release (hence the 2 in the shaft optimizer), it means I squeeze the ball due to playing on and around Links Courses. The Dynamic Gold S300 launches at around 12* with a 6 iron but with over 6000rpm of spin. So I didn't bother with the X100. I tried the KBS Tour X Flex, and that raised the launch angle by about 1* and dropped the spin to around 5600rpm, it also raised my ball speed by 3 mph. As I said, I only tried the C-Tapers in an S flex and the spin was just over 6000rpm, so just a tad high.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1383347875' post='8090266']
Well I must be honest, I haven't tried the X100. I hit the S300 and I just couldn't get any kind of ball flight at all. I tend to launch the ball fairly low, with a late release (hence the 2 in the shaft optimizer), it means I squeeze the ball due to playing on and around Links Courses. The Dynamic Gold S300 launches at around 12* with a 6 iron but with over 6000rpm of spin. So I didn't bother with the X100. I tried the KBS Tour X Flex, and that raised the launch angle by about 1* and dropped the spin to around 5600rpm, it also raised my ball speed by 3 mph. As I said, I only tried the C-Tapers in an S flex and the spin was just over 6000rpm, so just a tad high.
[/quote]

Interesting to see the launch numbers. My (wrong) assumption was you were suffering from too high a launch. The optimiser is picking all the stiff tip shaft options based on your release (as you pointed out) which is working against your need for a little more launch, based on these numbers the KBS Tour X is the shaft giving you the best numbers, the spin number and extra ball speed are excellent. Obviously the launch angle could be a little higher but you could add a degree of loft (no more because it messes with the bounce and offset) or try a more game improvement model (assuming the numbers are from the MP 64, MP4), the heads make quite a difference to some players.

By the way the X100 is a slightly different bend profile than the S300 and is actually very slightly softer than the S300 in the tip.

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1383355966' post='8090824']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1383347875' post='8090266']
[/quote]

Interesting to see the launch numbers. My (wrong) assumption was you were suffering from too high a launch. The optimiser is picking all the stiff tip shaft options based on your release (as you pointed out) which is working against your need for a little more launch, based on these numbers the KBS Tour X is the shaft giving you the best numbers, the spin number and extra ball speed are excellent. Obviously the launch angle could be a little higher but you could add a degree of loft (no more because it messes with the bounce and offset) or try a more game improvement model (assuming the numbers are from the MP 64, MP4), the heads make quite a difference to some players.

By the way the X100 is a slightly different bend profile than the S300 and is actually very slightly softer than the S300 in the tip.
[/quote]

Yes my launch angle is a touch low I agree. It's because I tend to deloft and 'squeeze' the ball at impact. this is just how I play. Of course, this can impart more spin, hence the need for my spin rates to be kept an eye on, the delofting of the club at impact is simply a product of my swing, and I'm happy to play with it. It has been a matter of getting that subtle balance right between not allowing my launch angle to drop anymore, but keeping that spin rate in check. I thought about trying the Nippon Pro Modus 120 in an X Flex, but at the moment the KBS Tour X Flex certainly helped with ball speeds and spin rates. My only concern with that, is that at 130 Grams, and 48 yo, I was hoping to go lighter, not heavier!! But maybe regardless of age, a heavier shaft just suits me better. And maybe that's something I could think about and try in my woods too.

By the way Dave. I certainly take on board about what you say about a more Game improvement iron, as their spin rates are often lower as you say. I certainly noticed that, when I tried the Titleist 714's yesterday. My highest spin rates were with the MB's, whereas the AP1's, which were a real surprise by the way, were really excellent, and perfectly usable. My only negative comment, was from a personal perspective, in that I found it very difficult to move the ball in the air with them. They're just point and shoot, which can be a positive of course, but I do like to work the ball a little, and found this difficult to do with the AP1's, this was why I thought about the AP2's, because they offered the best balance between workability, which they offer some, and keeping the spin rates down more than the CB/MB's.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]

The biggest factor driving the recommendations, is the very late release factor (1) making the software look for tip stable shafts (DG and C taper). Your tempo is smooth, so you won't overload the butt of the shaft in the transition, making the smoother lighter PXi 6.0 a possibility, provided it does not produce too much spin with your full speed and release.
[/quote]

Dave,
Just an update. I had a fitting with the Titleist rep this morning, looking at a 714 CB/MB combo set. Unfortunately he didn't have the Modus to try, but I wanted to give you props for your call on the PXi 6.0! Looking for lighter weight shafts, I tried the 5.5 first, then the XP95 (way too light), then KBS Tour in R flex (still don't like them). The 5.5 was ok, but could go a few yards left. The 6.0 was the standout winner - dispersion was tight i.e. dead straight; launch was 14+ degrees and the spin rate was consistent with the DG, so shouldn't be a ballooning problem - oddly enough the launch and spin rates with all shafts were very close. I liked the feel too, very smooth, just doing its thing. Even when I stepped on one and carried it 25 yards further it behaved. I'll be putting the 6.0 in something, I just haven't decided between the 714's and MP-4/64.

Cheers,
Alan

[quote name='BdaGolfer' timestamp='1384649127' post='8159694']
Dave,
Just an update. I had a fitting with the Titleist rep this morning, looking at a 714 CB/MB combo set. Unfortunately he didn't have the Modus to try, but I wanted to give you props for your call on the PXi 6.0! Looking for lighter weight shafts, I tried the 5.5 first, then the XP95 (way too light), then KBS Tour in R flex (still don't like them). The 5.5 was ok, but could go a few yards left. The 6.0 was the standout winner - dispersion was tight i.e. dead straight; launch was 14+ degrees and the spin rate was consistent with the DG, so shouldn't be a ballooning problem - oddly enough the launch and spin rates with all shafts were very close. I liked the feel too, very smooth, just doing its thing. Even when I stepped on one and carried it 25 yards further it behaved. I'll be putting the 6.0 in something, I just haven't decided between the 714's and MP-4/64.

Cheers,
Alan
[/quote]
Good to hear, enjoy your new clubs when you make the final call.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='mwpeters8182' timestamp='1393709963' post='8773220']
Got to swing the optimizer today, but they were having issues with the software

My numbers were: 82 4 4 2 4

[/quote]

Mid - smooth tempo and mid late release produces the following recommendations[list=1]
[*]Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]Project X 5.0
[*]KBS Tour S soft stepped
[/list]
Depending on your weight preference it might be worth your while trying the Dynamic Gold SL as well.

I skimmed all 10 pages, and didn't see anything similar to mine:

84 4 3 8 4

I remember PX (or was it Pxi) 5.5s were a recommendation. I currently play stock 85g shafts that came in my TM Burner 2.0s. Should I expect a significantly different ball flight with a PX 5.5 vs those??

My bigger problem is I have no idea what to do about my woods. I went to a PGA tour superstore and jumped on the monitor with a bunch of drivers about 5 weeks ago. Swing speeds during that session were showing as around 115. I bought an X-Flex shaft based on that, and the good ball-speed, accuracy I was getting from a RBZ Stage 2.

Since then I have bought a SkyPro, and over a pretty big sample, I think I am more in the 104-108 range under actual conditions. I really don't feel like I am doing anything different with the driver in terms of loading the club or releasing, etc, that would necessitate an X flex vs a "firm" or whatever 5.5 is.

SO - this is my point, I would really like to pick up a couple of hybrids, and try to figure out if my driver shaft is even close to correct for me - and I have no idea where to start. I have been to 3 major golf stores in town, and don't feel like I have had anyone even close to knowledgeable help me at any of them. Should I just look at the overall profile of a PX 5.5, and try to find a hybrid shaft that is similar? Or just wail away on the simulators and try to figure it out myself? I don't really have the $$ to do an outside fitting on trackman. Any idea where I should start?

Thanks!

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

TravAz, I will start with the easy bit, your iron swing DNA 84,4,3,8,4 shows you have a smooth tempo and a mid late release. Your kick and release angles show you put a fair bit of stress on the tip of the shaft.

This gives the following recommendations[list=1]
[*]Dynamic Gold S300
[*]Project X 5.5
[*]KBS Tour S
[/list]
All of these shafts will perform very differently that your stock 85 gram shaft currently in your Burner 2.0's. I would expect a slightly lower launch and lower spin. The shafts are heavier and stronger than the stock shaft and have stronger tip sections.

I assume you live in the USA so I am surprised that you don't have easy access to a good custom club builder or you are within driving distance of one of Taylormade's fitting facilities. It seems you want a higher standard of fitting that you can have from retail stores and unfortunately this is going to cost some money.

The difference you observed between the store similator and the Sky pro seem reasonable, considering swing speed is a calculated value. You mentioned you bought an X flex and that might be fine depending on which X flex shaft you bought. Flex is third on the priority list, after shaft length and shaft weight when it comes to driver fitting. Flex has been superseded by bend profile which is a more accurate way of comparing relative stiffness between shafts.

The DNA recommendations about are not a done deal, you must test the shafts and confirm if the actually suit your swing. Player feel is a critical aspect of the process and I know you will have a preference for a particular shaft. In fact that preference might be outside the recommendations.

To answer your question, is to save up some money and go for a proper fitting, do your research, find a club builder in your area or an OEM fitting centre you seem to like Taylormade. You want, someone with a launch monitor (preferable outside) a wide range of shafts and a good reputation, you are also looking for a two hour session and perhaps a return visit.

Here is one [url="http://agcpgolf.com/putt/find-a-clubfitterclubmaker/"]find a Club Fitter[/url] resource, there are many more.

The alternative is the path you suggest, testing clubs randomly until you find something you like and in all honesty this is not fitting.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1394195872' post='8818125']
TravAz, I will start with the easy bit, your iron swing DNA 84,4,3,8,4 shows you have a smooth tempo and a mid late release. Your kick and release angles show you put a fair bit of stress on the tip of the shaft.

This gives the following recommendations[list=1]
[*]Dynamic Gold S300
[*]Project X 5.5
[*]KBS Tour S
[/list]
[/quote]

DaveMac,

Could you please provide me shaft recommendations for the following DNA:

82/83 5-4-6-5

Thanks!

Ping G25 10.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Titleist AP1 712 4-GW
Titleist SM5 56S and SM2 60/10
Bettinardi C01

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='andfri' timestamp='1396124104' post='8976029']
Please help: 90 3456 and 90 3455 and maybe 90 4455
[/quote]

Recommendations for DNA 90, 3,4,5,5 are:

Steel[list=1]
[*]Nippon NS Pro 1150 X soft stepped
[*]True temper Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]Project X 5.5
[/list]
Graphite[list=1]
[*]Project X 5.5
[/list]
Numbers show healthy club head speed, slow tempo and a mid release.

Player testing required to find best match, which still might be outside the above recommendations depending on your personal preferences, so keep an open mind.

Dave you seem to be very knowledgeable about all things optimizer. I have a question, is the "perfect" number 1, so the further from one the better swing, or the closer to optimum? I don't know if this question makes sense, but I was 4's and 5's, ended up with a Nippon shaft, can't remember which one. Is there a value judgment the instructor can make based on the results?
Thanks, Pete
My fitter couldn't really explain what they meant, but knew the attendant categories to the numbers.