Mizuno shaft optimizer. I forgot my recommendations. Can anyone check my numbers?

bag302

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1396140488' post='8977533']
[quote name='andfri' timestamp='1396124104' post='8976029']
Please help: 90 3456 and 90 3455 and maybe 90 4455
[/quote]

Recommendations for DNA 90, 3,4,5,5 are:

Steel[list=1]
[*]Nippon NS Pro 1150 X soft stepped
[*]True temper Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]Project X 5.5
[/list]
Graphite[list=1]
[*]Project X 5.5
[/list]
Numbers show healthy club head speed, slow tempo and a mid release.

Player testing required to find best match, which still might be outside the above recommendations depending on your personal preferences, so keep an open mind.
[/quote]

Dave, thank you for your quick reply.

I currently play MP64 with KBS Tour Stiff.
I struggle sometimes with a too early release. This follows in draws and sometimes hooks to the left.

What would be your shaft recoomendations?

Do I Play a to tip soft shaft and would it be help if i go to another shaft?

I have also a set with KBS C-Taper but i didn't like them at all due to harsh feeling and that they feel heavier compared to KBS tour (i know the weight is the same). But results are better at all.

Would you emphazise C-Taper more with 90mph and Release factor of 5-6?

Thanks.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Petethreeput' timestamp='1396141679' post='8977675']
Dave you seem to be very knowledgeable about all things optimizer. I have a question, is the "perfect" number 1, so the further from one the better swing, or the closer to optimum? I don't know if this question makes sense, but I was 4's and 5's, ended up with a Nippon shaft, can't remember which one. Is there a value judgment the instructor can make based on the results?
Thanks, Pete
My fitter couldn't really explain what they meant, but knew the attendant categories to the numbers.
[/quote]

Pete, the first thing I would say is there are no perfect numbers as far as the optimiser is concerned. It is a tool to describe the swing you have, and if you simply want to keep your current swing then the optimiser points you in the direction of candidate shafts.

The primary fitting parameters are:[list]
[*][b]swing speed[/b]: this is the one we all want to be higher and better technique, athletic ability and practice helps
[*][b]tempo[/b]: this tends to be a personal characteristic 1 on this factor simply means a slow gentle change of direction and 9 means maximum aggression. There is little correlation between more aggression (a faster tempo) and more club head speed.
[*][b]release point:[/b] this is perhaps the most talked about factor, the magical elusive late hit, 1 would be the latest release point but I think the only Mizuno tour professional who reached this factor was Daniel Vancsik. The bulk of Mizuno's male tour staff have release factors between 3 - 5. I think this caused some arguments / discontent during the testing phase of the tool.
[/list]
The other two factors are more shaft engineering than swing, although toe down can influence dynamic lie angle (it also suggest high hands at impact )

There you have it, there are no perfect DNA numbers. There is always a player / fitter judgement call on interpreting the DNA results, the recommendations are just a starting point and player testing is mandatory. The system is discrete meaning there are always players on the border between two quite different recommendations, so a bit of operator experience is a useful asset. The Mizuno tool is also restricted to the current Mizuno custom options list which while reasonable, it is not exhaustive.

Ping are about to press the Sky pro swing analyzer into service as a fitting tool so it will be interesting to see how the recommendations from the two systems compare.

[quote name='andfri' timestamp='1396165128' post='8979083']
Dave, thank you for your quick reply.

I currently play MP64 with KBS Tour Stiff.
I struggle sometimes with a too early release. This follows in draws and sometimes hooks to the left.

What would be your shaft recoomendations?

Do I Play a to tip soft shaft and would it be help if i go to another shaft?

I have also a set with KBS C-Taper but i didn't like them at all due to harsh feeling and that they feel heavier compared to KBS tour (i know the weight is the same). But results are better at all.

Would you emphazise C-Taper more with 90mph and Release factor of 5-6?

[/quote]

The important parameters form your DNA are your swing speed and particularly your tempo. The fact that you generate your club head with a smooth slow transition, normally means you will be better with slightly softer flex lighter weight shafts.

Your release factor is not a problem it is actually late enough for you to play any tip stiffness of shaft, I think your dislike of the C Taper is because they have a high butt frequency, so they feel very firm and are normally liked by players who have a more aggressive tempo.

If you wan't to test some shafts in addition to your recommendations I would look at lighter smoother models, therefore I would add the Nippon NS Pro 950 X, Nippon NS Pro 1150 S and Project X PXi 6.0, perhaps even the 5.5 ([i]not a Mizuno shaft option[/i]) to your recommendations for testing.

Your current KBS Tour S shafts are not a million miles away and I would expect a shaft change will offer you more in terms of a change in feel, that out and out performance.

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1396197810' post='8980507']
[quote name='Petethreeput' timestamp='1396141679' post='8977675']
Dave you seem to be very knowledgeable about all things optimizer. I have a question, is the "perfect" number 1, so the further from one the better swing, or the closer to optimum? I don't know if this question makes sense, but I was 4's and 5's, ended up with a Nippon shaft, can't remember which one. Is there a value judgment the instructor can make based on the results?
Thanks, Pete
My fitter couldn't really explain what they meant, but knew the attendant categories to the numbers.
[/quote]

Pete, the first thing I would say is there are no perfect numbers as far as the optimiser is concerned. It is a tool to describe the swing you have, and if you simply want to keep your current swing then the optimiser point you in the direction of candidate shafts.

The primary fitting parameters are:[list]
[*][b]swing speed[/b]: this is the one we all want to be higher and better technique and athletic ability practice helps
[*][b]tempo[/b]: this tends to be a personal characteristic 1 on this factor simply means a slow gentle change of direction and 9 means maximum aggression. There is little correlation between more aggression (a faster tempo) and more club head speed.
[*][b]release point:[/b] this is perhaps the most talked about factor, the magical elusive late hit, 1 would be the latest release point but I think the only Mizuno tour professional who reached this factor was Daniel Vancsik. The bulk of Mizuno's male tour staff have release factors between 3 - 5. I think this caused some arguments / discontent during the testing phase of the tool.
[/list]
The other two factors are more shaft engineering than swing, although toe down can influence dynamic lie angle (it also suggest high hands at impact )

There you have it, there are no perfect DNA numbers. There is always a player / fitter judgement call on interpreting the DNA results, the recommendations are just a starting point and player testing is mandatory. The system is discrete meaning there are always players on the border between two quite different recommendations, so a bit of operator experience is a useful assist. The Mizuno tool is also restricted to the current Mizuno custom options list which while reasonable, it is not exhaustive.

Ping are about to press the Sky pro swing analyzer into service as a fitting tool so it will be interesting to see how the recommendations from the two systems compare.
[/quote]

Thank you. I didn't know if I should take some of the info as opportunities to improve. Guess I am who I am. Sincerely, thank you.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='reubdogg' timestamp='1400195301' post='9304367']
Can someone help me with shaft recommendations? I tried the shaft optimizer but the golf shop didn't have the software setup.
78, 6.3.5.4[/quote]

Shaft recommendations are:[list=1]
[*]Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]Project X 5.0
[*]KBS Tour Stiff (Soft stepped)
[/list]
The major factor driving your recommendations is your tempo, which is fast bordering on quick, this makes the shaft flex recommendation, stiffer than the your base swing speed.

Make sure you take the time to test the recommendations, if your tempo factor was 4 your recommendations would change to Dynalite Gold XP S300 and KBS Tour Regular (Project X 5.0 remains the same)

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please run my numbers for me? The staff working in the golf shop I tried the optimizer at did not know how to use the software (in all fairness, I think their more experienced fitters were gone for the day).

I hit several balls with the optimizer, and most times my numbers were:

86 4 2 5 4

I also had a few swings where ss was 84 but other numbers were the same. Would the 2 mph make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='canewell' timestamp='1401325664' post='9385813']

86 4 2 5 4

I also had a few swings where ss was 84 but other numbers were the same. Would the 2 mph make a difference?

[/quote]

Recommendations are:
Dynamic Gold S300
Project X 5.5
KBS Tour S

2 MPH does not make a difference but changing your Tempo factor from 4 to 3 does (Project X 5.0, Dynalite Gold XP S 300 and Nippon NS Pro 1150 S) so when you test the shafts you should try a few of the lighter options an see if you prefer them.

How accurate is this optimizer thing. Here are the numbers and recommendations I got today
94-4-4-4-5

Dynamic Gold X-100
Project X 6.5
KBS Tour X

My current setup is Mizuno JPX Pro with stock Dynalite Gold XP S300. I didn't get fitted for these, just bought off the rack basically. I just never woulda thought I would need such a X flex shaft. I tried the Dynamic Gold X-100 and I did like it despite the extra weight. I was a little worried about launching it too low, but it almost seemed to launch higher compared to my current set up. Maybe due to better contact with the stiffer/heavier shafts? It didn't feel too stiff really, almost felt like the harder I went after it, the straighter it went. Distance seemed comparable.

I have struggled with low launch in the past, but I also spin the ball pretty much. To be honest I was really thinking about trying a lightweight shaft......C-Taper Lite, KBS Tour V, PX Flighted etc.....These results are pretty much the exact opposite.

Anyone have input on these numbers or similar experiences they have seen?

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

Obviously, I am a fan of the optimiser, I like it because it is completely unbiased (dumb, if you will) it simply looks at how you load the shaft and gives you your recommendations.

Like anything digital there is always going to be DNA values which border two very different recommendations. It always helps to understand the DNA factors and it is important to remember the Optimiser software can only select from Mizuno's custom shaft list.

The stand out factors in your DNA are your club head speed, which is in the X flex range and your Tempo which is very smooth considering the club head speed produced. Just for the record your release point in mid way.

If you change your Tempo factor from 4 to 3 your recommendations become:

Nippon NS pro 1150 X (soft stepped), Dynalite Gold XP S 300 and Project X 5.5

So you can see your own instinct has you on the right track and one of the more stable mid weight shafts is likely to be your preferred option. Your smooth tempo will always allow you to play a softer shaft than your basic club head speed indicates.

If you are testing I would add the PXi to the test list as we'll.

Very helpful, thanks......So my Dynalite Gold XP shafts are close to what I should be using. The X-100s felt like a world apart from my current shafts. Not in a bad way though. I really feel like the extra weight helped somehow, I was making much better consistent contact with better dispersion. Sometimes with my XPs I feel as though I make a good swing/contact and I lose it a little right.

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

• 1 month later...

Jumping on this old thread to see if I can get some help. My numbers: 76, 7, 2, 2, 8. I have played KBS Tours for about 5 years and recently tried to remove that early release draw/hook/etc by trying out the PXI (6.0), PX (5.5) and Modus3 Tour 120. The C-Taper Lite intrigue me but I might just go back to my KBS Tours (gaming the Modus3s right now).

What would Mizuno recommend with my numbers above and do they have either the Modus3 (120 or 130) or C-Taper Lite in the system?

Thank you!

Callaway Rogue SZ, Matrix TP6HDe
Callaway Rogue SZ, Accra Tour Z RPG
Callaway Rogue Ut, Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Callaway X Forged, DG TI S400
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged, DG TI S400
Gold's Factory Custom Putter, Seven Dreamers Proto Shaft

The optimiser software returns quite a strong set of shafts based on your DNA, Dynalite Gold XP S300, KBS tour S and Nippon NS Pro 1150 S. The factor driving the stronger recommendations is your tempo which in optimiser terms is aggressive.

Sadly none of the more exotic shafts you mention are on Mizuno's custom shaft list.

Thank you DaveMac. Seems that the KBS Tours might be good to stick with. I might shaft up a couple irons and demo them in my set before moving fully over. Thanks for your quick response!

Callaway Rogue SZ, Matrix TP6HDe
Callaway Rogue SZ, Accra Tour Z RPG
Callaway Rogue Ut, Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Callaway X Forged, DG TI S400
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged, DG TI S400
Gold's Factory Custom Putter, Seven Dreamers Proto Shaft

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone give me the recommendations for 92 5 4 4 6 please, and what happens if you change the ss to 89/90 , 92 seemed a little quick to me.
Many thanks.

Mizuno St-Z - 9.5 - Accra Tour Z RPG H
Callaway Epic flash - 15, tensei blue av 75
Ping G410 - 19 Tour Ad DI
Yonex Cb301 pw-7 Cb501 6-4- Modus 120
Titleist Sm8 - 50 - 54 - 58
SIK DW-c

[quote name='daniel gibson' timestamp='1410897046' post='10127579']
Can someone give me the recommendations for 92 5 4 4 6 please, and what happens if you change the ss to 89/90 , 92 seemed a little quick to me.
Many thanks.
[/quote]

Recommendations are[list=1]
[*]Dynamic Gold X100 Soft stepped
[*]Project X 6.0
[*]KBS Tour X soft stepped
[/list]
Dropping your swing speed by two MPH makes no difference to the recommendations, however if your release changes from 6 to 7 the Nippon NS Pro 1150 S Hard stepped becomes a recommendation along with the KBS Tour X soft stepped. I think the C Taper Lite S (which is new for this year) would be worth a try, if you like the feel of a lighter club.

The recommendations are always a starting point, so nothing wrong in going with a softer flex if you are getting good numbers and are happy with the shaft feel.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1410904888' post='10128243']
[quote name='daniel gibson' timestamp='1410897046' post='10127579']
Many thanks.
[/quote]

Recommendations are[list=1]
[*]Dynamic Gold X100 Soft stepped
[*]Project X 6.0
[*]KBS Tour X soft stepped
[/list]
Dropping your swing speed by two MPH makes no difference to the recommendations, however if your release changes from 6 to 7 the Nippon NS Pro 1150 S Hard stepped becomes a recommendation along with the KBS Tour X soft stepped. I think the C Taper Lite S (which is new for this year) would be worth a try, if you like the feel of a lighter club.

The recommendations are always a starting point, so nothing wrong in going with a softer flex if you are getting good numbers and are happy with the shaft feel.
[/quote]
Any help on these numbers are appreciated!! I used the optimizer over a wider variety of swings and this is what I got everytime:
5153 or 5253
5143 or 5243
SS 92

Any help on shaft recommendations would be great!

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1401393628' post='9391179']
[quote name='canewell' timestamp='1401325664' post='9385813']

86 4 2 5 4

[/quote]

Recommendations are:
Dynamic Gold S300
Project X 5.5
KBS Tour S

2 MPH does not make a difference but changing your Tempo factor from 4 to 3 does (Project X 5.0, Dynalite Gold XP S 300 and Nippon NS Pro 1150 S) so when you test the shafts you should try a few of the lighter options an see if you prefer them.
[/quote]

These were my recommendations as well. I use CFS shafts (regular hardstepped) but had some success with the KBS tours at the fitting. 7 iron spin came down from 6,900 to 6,100 and gained almost 10 yards. I was surprised because I'm not a big guy and thought a 120 gram shaft would be to much.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Onespeed24' timestamp='1414022092' post='10335571']
Can someone run these numbers for me and tell me the recommended shafts?:

78 - 7/6/7/7

[/quote]

Recommendations are:

Dynalite Gold XP S300 (XP 115 on new shaft range)
KBS Tour S
Nippon NS pro 1150 S

The optimiser is putting you into a stronger flex shafts than expected because of your fast tempo, (it is the main factor driving this recommendation)so when testing the shafts try the regular flex as well to see which side of the recommendation you prefer.

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1413067091' post='10271923']
[quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1412117005' post='10214415']
Bump for:

SS 92

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

Recommendations are:
Dynamic Gold X100 soft stepped
Project X 6.0
KBS CTaper X soft stepped
[/quote]Thanks. I appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

- I got fitted today for the Mizuno JPX-850 forged irons. My shaft optimizer averages were 90,5,4,5,5. Would you be able to look up the shaft recommendations?

I mentioned to the fitter that I generally like the feel of lighter shafts. I actually currently play with regular flex graphite. I always thought of my swing is moderate speed and tempo. The fitter told me I was way off and need a heavier and stiffer shaft. He said that with regular flex graphite, the club head could twist and result in the heel digging into the turf - which does happen an awful lot for me.

He initially tried out the Dynalite stiff shafts for me. They felt like absolute boards to me. He said that they are the "right" shaft for me per the analysis, but that he could stretch to recommend trying the KBS C-Taper Lites for a bit of a higher launch and less board-like feeling. After doing the board tests, he recommended standard loft, lie, and no step adjustments.

The C-Taper Lites were an unusual feeling for me. Much less ballooning than I am used to and a nice controlled trajectory. Suddenly mishits were straighter and far less tragic. Maybe the shafts let me take advantage of the clubhead game improvement features a bit more? I'm not sure, but I may have lost a bit of distance. Any thoughts about this shaft for my swing profile?

Any thoughts or other recommendations are appreciated! :)

Your DNA of 90, 5, 4, 5, 5 is very strong, placing you just into the X flex shaft category, the actual recommendations for this DNA are:[list=1]
[*]Dynamic Gold X100 (Soft stepped)
[*]Project X 6.0
[*]KBS Tour (Soft stepped)
[/list]
Your DNA shows you have plenty of club head speed, a moderate tempo and a mid release, certainly a much stronger swing than would be a match for a regular flex graphite shaft. The above recommendations would feel very very heavy and very stiff coming from your current gamer. The problems I would expect you to have with your gamers are wide dispersion, occasional ultra high spin shots (ballooning flight) and I think you would always be on your guard with regards to keeping your swing in check, with swing thought like [i]'smooth[/i]' and '[i]good tempo'[/i].

The advice from your fitter is reasonable, if you reduce the strength and weight of your recommendations a little (a smoother tempo factor of 3), the C Taper Lite S flex would be a recommendation. The others would be the New XP 115 S (Replacement for the Dynalite XP, you didn't like) and the Nippon Pro 1150.

You have to trust your own feel, (provided the launch monitor numbers aren't off the charts) so the C Taper lite look like a good option but you have to be fully sold on the idea or it won't be a success. You should see improved consistency, controlled spin and repeatable distance. I doubt you will loose any distance. The main reason for the improvement you observed is because the shaft can [i]'keep up'[/i] with the energy you are applying to it.

There is not much else in the Mizuno fitting cart, which bridges the gap for you. The Nippon NS Pro 950 X might be worth a try because it is light and the NS Pro family have a smooth bend profile similar to many graphite shafts, it is hard to find and it will be a lot stronger than your current shaft.

Some of the heavier graphite shafts in other fitting carts might be to your liking, the UST recoil 110 S for example, which is a Titleist option is possibility (expensive though), Recoil's are Ping, Callaway and Nike options as well.

Since the jump is such a large one, to help you with the transition, it might be worthwhile getting one club, say a 6 iron (it could be a new club or something close pre-owned (say KBS Tour regular or R+) ), using it for a month or so on the range, after you have conditioned yourself to the different shaft feel, you could re-test your options before making your final purchase.

Best of luck.
Dave