Mizuno shaft optimizer. I forgot my recommendations. Can anyone check my numbers?

bag302

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1451771753' post='12793166']
[quote name='doctorjedi' timestamp='1451767590' post='12792920']
Can I get a hand when someone gets a moment. 85 5 4 6 5 thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Recommended shafts are:
Dynamic Gold R300
Project X 5.5
KBS Tour S

You could test the XP 115 S or Nippon 1150 S if the above recommendations are not to your liking.
[/quote]

Thank you Dave.

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if anyone is watching this thread anymore, but if so can I get a hand when someone gets a moment? 88 7 5 5 4 Thank you in advance.

Recommendations from the software for this DNA are

Dynamic Gold X 100 Soft stepped

Project X 6.0

KBS C Taper X Soft stepped

The reason for such strong recommendations are the base swing speed coupled with an aggressive tempo and a lateish release.

The recommendations above are border line X flex so might be a little on the strong side, so I suggest you test a couple of these options as well.

Dynamic gold S300

KBS Tour S

I'm not sure if anyone is watching this thread anymore, but if so can I get a hand when someone gets a moment? 88 7 5 5 4 Thank you in advance.

Recommendations from the software for this DNA are

Dynamic Gold X 100 Soft stepped

Project X 6.0

KBS C Taper X Soft stepped

The reason for such strong recommendations are the base swing speed coupled with an aggressive tempo and a lateish release.

The recommendations above are border line X flex so might be a little on the strong side, so I suggest you test a couple of these options as well.

Dynamic gold S300

KBS Tour S

DaveMac, thanks for the quick response, much appreciated. I have played the CTaper in S, but they aggravated some elbow soreness. I am torn between S300 or the AMT X100 SS. The idea of a slightly lighter weight shaft in the longer irons is intriguing.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

DaveMac -- thanks for all your help in this thread. Can you give me my recommendations for 86 3 3 5 5?

Thanks!!

Sorry for the delay, your DNA produces an interesting group of shaft recommendations, mainly driven by your smooth tempo. The recommendations are:

True Temper XP 105S

KBS C Taper lite S

Nippon NS Pro 1150 S

The graphite recommendation is the Orochi Tour spec S

Naturally you need to test the shafts for performance and feel.

Mizuno released the EI profiles of a few of the shafts in their custom option range, here is a relative stiffness comparison for your recommendations. There is a pretty wide variation in relative stiffness between the recommendations, certainly enough for each one to give a distinct feel. Post your thoughts if you get around to testing your recommendations, I am sure your feedback will be of interest / help to others.

Once again, thanks for your feedback DaveMac.

I was able to try the KBS C Taper lite S and Nippon NS Pro 1150 S with the JPX850 forged head. My numbers were very very close with both of these shafts. The Nippons were a tiny bit better performing for me. Very slightly better ball speed, height and carry.

As far as feel goes, the c tapers feel great. First time hitting that shaft and it felt great. So soft and smooth, I would think I was swinging a graphite shaft if you didn't tell me they were steel. The only issue I can see with them is that they were so soft that feedback was very minimal, meaning every shot felt flushed when I know that was not the case based on ball flight. The Nippons felt more "normal" to me. Not harsh though, just not as soft as the KBS'. But I definitely got more feedback on mishits with the Nippons.

All in all, I would game either but the KBS would take more getting used to since the feel was so different. I was not swinging the club well the day I tested, so I would like to go back and retest on a better swinging day. Also, I tried both indoors. I really want to try both outside to see how they perform off grass.

Driver - Cobra Bio Cell +
3w - Adams Tight Lies TI
5w- Adams Tight Lies TI
4-AW - Nike Pro Cavity
SW - Nike VR Toe Sweep - 56 degrees
Putter - Nike Drone 2.0
Bag - Sun Mountain four five

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Newbie here..

Found this thread and could do with some help like the others.

My numbers are

84 6 3 4 3

I've played S300 for ever but I'm starting to feel that they're a bit much for me these days.

I've currently got GS95 S200 and while they're OK, I hit them high, dispersion is variable and I feel they're a bit light.

Is there anything between the 2 that fits my numbers

Thanks in advance..

Hi. Newbie here..

My numbers are

84 6 3 4 3

I've played S300 for ever but I'm starting to feel that they're a bit much for me these days.

I've currently got GS95 S200 and while they're OK, I hit them high, dispersion is variable and I feel they're a bit light.

Thanks in advance..

Your DNA produces the following recommendations:

Dynamic Gold S300

Project X 5.5

C Taper S

The main factors driving your recommendations are your Tempo is medium fast in Mizuno's terms meaning there is a bit of aggression there that would be helped with shafts with a bit of weight. Your release factor of 3 indicates a late release, making the tip stiff shafts a good match. This might be the reason for your dislike of the XP 95 which while light is a tip soft profile.

Tweaking your tempo to introduce the lighter weight options the recommendations become:

Dynamic Gold SL S300

Project X 5.0

KBS C Taper Lite S (hard stepped)

The optimiser is limited to Mizuno's custom shaft list so you might find something you like outside this list. Shafts like the Steelfiber i110 S and Modus 120 S would be my first suggestions. It is becoming easier to find and test shaft options, so just be patient and I am sure you will find something to give you the feel and performance you are looking for.

Hi. Newbie here..

My numbers are

84 6 3 4 3

Thanks in advance..��

Your DNA produces the following recommendations:

Dynamic Gold S300

Project X 5.5

C Taper S

The main factors driving your recommendations are your Tempo is medium fast in Mizuno's terms meaning there is a bit of aggression there that would be helped with shafts with a bit of weight. Your release factor of 3 indicates a late release, making the tip stiff shafts a good match. This might be the reason for your dislike of the XP 95 which while light is a tip soft profile.

Tweaking your tempo to introduce the lighter weight options the recommendations become:

Dynamic Gold SL S300

Project X 5.0

KBS C Taper Lite S (hard stepped)

The optimiser is limited to Mizuno's custom shaft list so you might find something you like outside this list. Shafts like the Steelfiber i110 S and Modus 120 S would be my first suggestions. It is becoming easier to find and test shaft options, so just be patient and I am sure you will find something to give you the feel and performance you are looking for.

Cheers for that..

Would KBS Tour fit the bill..?

Or PX Flighted..?

Would KBS Tour fit the bill..? Or PX Flighted..?

Truthfully only you can answer that by testing both, they will feel quite different than your Dynamic Gold S300. The KBS Tour is stronger in the butt / middle than DG and softer in the tip. The S is 10 grams or so lighter but the KBS tends to feel even lighter because the weight balance of the shaft is more even than the tip heavy balance of the DG.

Project X flighted is just a very strong feeling shaft.

My advice is to be clear in what you are trying to achieve with the change, then find a shaft that gives you those qualities, this will save you blind buying potential candidates from eBay.

Would KBS Tour fit the bill..? Or PX Flighted..?

Truthfully only you can answer that by testing both, they will feel quite different than your Dynamic Gold S300. The KBS Tour is stronger in the butt / middle than DG and softer in the tip. The S is 10 grams or so lighter but the KBS tends to feel even lighter because the weight balance of the shaft is more even than the tip heavy balance of the DG.

Project X flighted is just a very strong feeling shaft.

My advice is to be clear in what you are trying to achieve with the change, then find a shaft that gives you those qualities, this will save you blind buying potential candidates from eBay.

I suppose I'm looking to replace S300s with a lighter version...

I'm OK with the flight of the DG it's just the weight more than anything else...

Had a hit with Apex Pro last year with the KBS V 110 and that seemed to go well

I'm thinking a shaft around 110-115 is the kind of weight I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

In a semi-similar situation here.

I remember the shaft recommendations, but don't remember my numbers. I know the swing speed was 84-86mph. Not sure about the rest, although I do know that I have a very fast tempo. The shafts it recommended were:

DG S300 Stiff

KBS Tour Stiff

Nippon NS Pro 1150 Stiff (Soft-stepped)

I swung an MP-5, and that's what I play, so I'm assuming the shaft recommendations should be pretty spot on. Here's my dilemma though:

I got my MP-5's a few months ago barely used at a price I couldn't pass up on, but they have Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff shafts in them. I do like them, but with them being a lighter shaft I feel like they're enabling my tempo to get a little out of control. Would changing to any of these recommended shafts be that much of an improvement? The cost of new shafts+grips+installation would probably be around $450-$500, which would bring my total cost for the irons close to retail price. I guess I won't really know if it'll be a marked improvement unless I try the different shafts out, but I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a little insight. Apologies if this would be better answered in a new thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello out there,

Just got fitted with mizuno optimizer. 88 5 6 7 8

Recommended KBS Tour Xstiff SS

Launch monitor showed spin at 6300 average.

Is this too much spin? Has anyone compared this to Project X6.0 for spin?

What spin numbers should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance

The actual recommendations are KBS Tour X Soft stepped, Nippon NS Pro 1150 S hard stepped.

As I have said on a number of occasions, the optimiser swing speed can be a little higher than a genuine launch monitor, a couple of mph adds True Temper XP 115 XP S300 and KBS Tour S.

Spin at 6300 is a smidgen high but nothing to worry about. What was your 6 iron launch angle and spin consistency?

The old spin rule of thumb is (iron # * 1000 - (iron # * 1000 / 10)) or 5400 for a 6 iron. This will increase in response to a players swing speed so in reality spin is a range not a specific number.

Project X tends to spin less for the majority of players although it also has a reputation for a firmer / harsher feel.

Hello out there,

Just got fitted with mizuno optimizer. 88 5 6 7 8

Recommended KBS Tour Xstiff SS

Launch monitor showed spin at 6300 average.

Is this too much spin? Has anyone compared this to Project X6.0 for spin?

What spin numbers should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance

The actual recommendations are KBS Tour X Soft stepped, Nippon NS Pro 1150 S hard stepped.

As I have said on a number of occasions, the optimiser swing speed can be a little higher than a genuine launch monitor, a couple of mph adds True Temper XP 115 XP S300 and KBS Tour S.

Spin at 6300 is a smidgen high but nothing to worry about. What was your 6 iron launch angle and spin consistency?

The old spin rule of thumb is (iron # * 1000 - (iron # * 1000 / 10)) or 5400 for a 6 iron. This will increase in response to a players swing speed so in reality spin is a range not a specific number.

Project X tends to spin less for the majority of players although it also has a reputation for a firmer / harsher feel.

The shaft used was KBS Tour X Stiff and KBS Tour Stiff. I know the spin numbers for the Stiff were 6600 average, and flight was about 1.5 degrees higher.

The KBS Tour X Stiff had great feel. Not sure of exact angle, but it was very consistent.

The launch monitor was used, and it confirmed the swing speed accurately at 88 average.

I guess I should try the Project X 6.0 to see what kind of spin rate and launch angle it has, although it was not recommended by the software.

Dave, this has been awesome, but haven't seen any like what I received last weekend, so here we go. 93 - 5-7-5-8 Optimizer gave me KBS Tour X, PX 6.5, and C Taper Lite X. Could you give me some additional options and/or explain those choices? Do you think an NS Pro 1050gh x ss is an option? Much appreciated.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 52*, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 56*, PX 6.5 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

The shaft used was KBS Tour X Stiff and KBS Tour Stiff. I know the spin numbers for the Stiff were 6600 average, and flight was about 1.5 degrees higher.

The KBS Tour X Stiff had great feel. Not sure of exact angle, but it was very consistent.

The launch monitor was used, and it confirmed the swing speed accurately at 88 average.

I guess I should try the Project X 6.0 to see what kind of spin rate and launch angle it has, although it was not recommended by the software.

The release factor of 8 in your DNA (88 5 6 7 8) shows you have an early progressive release, suggesting you would suit shafts with a relatively softer tip. This might be the reason you prefer the feel of the KBS Tour. Using the shaft to fix the flight probably isn't the best way to go, if you strengthen the irons by 1 degree the visual impact is minimal but launch and spin are lowered (1 degree / 400 rpm aprox). 88 MPH with a moderate swing tempo is borderline for the X flex so if you like the feel and weight of the S you could hrad step it once (equally if you prefer the weight of the X you could soft step this once), if you are buying outside Mizuno the KBS Tour is available in S+ which is bang on the middle of the two in strength and weight.

You should still test the Project X and perhaps the KBS C Taper to see if the performance / feel is better than the KBS Tour.

Here is a comparison of KBS Tour, KBS Tour and C Taper showing the relative stiffness of the shafts (I only have S flex), it shows the increased tip stiffness of Project X and C Taper.

Dave, this has been awesome, but haven't seen any like what I received last weekend, so here we go. 93 - 5-7-5-8 Optimizer gave me KBS Tour X, PX 6.5, and C Taper Lite X. Could you give me some additional options and/or explain those choices? Do you think an NS Pro 1050gh x ss is an option? Much appreciated.

Your DNA shows X flex club head speed, generated with a moderate level of aggression having an early (progressive) release. The software tries to put you into something X flex, a little lighter, having a softer tip, relatively speaking. The KBS Tour matches two of the three characteristics X flex, soft tip although it might be a little heavy. The project X is a little lighter but Tip firm. The C Taper Lite is a lot lighter but perhaps a little soft overall.

The NS Pro 1050 X Soft Stepped is certainly worth a try, it has a tip soft profile and is certainly in the right weight range.

Your DNA shows X flex club head speed, generated with a moderate level of aggression having an early (progressive) release. The software tries to put you into something X flex, a little lighter, having a softer tip, relatively speaking. The KBS Tour matches two of the three characteristics X flex, soft tip although it might be a little heavy. The project X is a little lighter but Tip firm. The C Taper Lite is a lot lighter but perhaps a little soft overall.

The NS Pro 1050 X Soft Stepped is certainly worth a try, it has a tip soft profile and is certainly in the right weight range.

Thank you very much. I currently play the KBS Tour stiff, but feel like my dispersion is hurting. Don't like PX, but do like something lighter. Do you think a full X is the right idea? Am I on the edge to the point that soft stepping would be a good idea?

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 52*, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 56*, PX 6.5 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Thank you very much. I currently play the KBS Tour stiff, but feel like my dispersion is hurting. Don't like PX, but do like something lighter. Do you think a full X is the right idea? Am I on the edge to the point that soft stepping would be a good idea?

Soft stepping is a very subtle change in flex so yes with 93 mph of club head speed X straight in is an option but please try before you buy. One other point the Nippon NS Pro X is likely to be softer than the KBS Tour S, don't be mislead by shaft labelling.

Soft stepping is a very subtle change in flex so yes with 93 mph of club head speed X straight in is an option but please try before you buy. One other point the Nippon NS Pro X is likely to be softer than the KBS Tour S, don't be mislead by shaft labelling.

Yeah, that's what I was curious about. Can't find a CPM rating on the ns pros anywhere. Thanks again!

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 52*, PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 56*, PX 6.5 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Swing 86 3254 first 2 swing

3253 last swing

would any modus shaft fit these parameters?

Thanks

Yes absolutely Modus is worth testing. Your smooth tempo suggests you should be confirtable with lighter weight so Steelfiber i95 and Recoil 95 are worth testing as well.

Thats what I find interesting with Mizuno system. My consistency is much better with the heavier shafts even though the numbers of the system suggest otherwise. I hit DG s 300 so much better than SF 95 and other light shafts when actually on the course. I can't feel the club with the lighter shaft.

Have Modus 120 but seem to like the extra weight of Modus 125 more.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

• 1 month later...