2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno shaft optimizer. I forgot my recommendations. Can anyone check my numbers?

bag302

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, I haven't tried the new software, but presume it's pretty much the same, but obviously the shafts options have changed as when I tried the Mizuno optimizer about 3-4 years ago now I think. But I will always remember my numbers as being 87mph and 6,4,4,2.

Could you be kind enough what the new software is recommending these days for those numbers please?

Dave, I haven't tried the new software, but presume it's pretty much the same, but obviously the shafts options have changed as when I tried the Mizuno optimizer about 3-4 years ago now I think. But I will always remember my numbers as being 87mph and 6,4,4,2.

Could you be kind enough what the new software is recommending these days for those numbers please?

The new software returns, Project X LZ 6.5, Project X 6.5 and Dynamic Gold X100 with KBS CTaper X next in the list. Your DNA shows a fairly aggressive swing with a very late release, so the software is suggesting shafts stronger than expected, heavy weight, with tip strong profiles, bear in mind the recommendations do tend to fall on the stronger is better approach. The majority of changes in the software are in the smoother tempo factors, where Mizuno now have a much wider array of options.

The new software returns, Project X LZ 6.5, Project X 6.5 and Dynamic Gold X100 with KBS CTaper X next in the list. Your DNA shows a fairly aggressive swing with a very late release, so the software is suggesting shafts stronger than expected, heavy weight, with tip strong profiles, bear in mind the recommendations do tend to fall on the stronger is better approach. The majority of changes in the software are in the smoother tempo factors, where Mizuno now have a much wider array of options.

That's all very true Dave, Thanks for the info by the way.

Personally, as you say quite rightly they do fall on the stronger side of where I would expect to be, but as you emphasize, they are only a starting point anyway. And a good fitter can pick a few things up quite quickly to decipher any slight changes.

The other factor of course is that it was 3-4 years ago now and just because my numbers where like that then, it doesn't mean they will be the same now, but I will be getting them analyzed again next week at a Mizuno Fitting that I'm going to. So it will also be interesting to see if they have moved much. But if they still come up on the stronger suggestion side, then I can always specify soft stepping any of the suitable options anyway.

I would certainly suggest you test your favourite shaft, one flex down from the recommendation.

Absolutely. The one very slight caveat that I hold dear. Is that very often, I have been to a fitting and fitter will only be able to fit from numbers (notwithstanding the Mizuno system of course), they then look at my SS with a 6 iron and you can see them think 'ah right, stiff flex', they then go through all the different Stiff flex shafts of different weights/bend profiles and simply fit me into the one that performs the best of those. To me this is simply lazy as no thought is given to tempo, transition and release. This is the beauty of the Mizuno system I suppose. But if somebody fits nicely into a Stiff flex on paper by virtue of their SS, then it follows suit that going down a flex should also be considered for anyone whose tempo is 'easier' and/or release is earlier with a possible lighter shaft. And visa versa for somebody with a quicker tempo and later release.

Certainly when I have been fit into KBS Tour Stiff flex many times now, the feel is okay, but when I have tried a KBS Tour X Flex, the ballflight is higher, longer and overall far more consistent. Could be due to me needing the extra weight 130g v 120g raw. Due to my quicker tempo and later release.

Anyway, thanks for all the info Dave, it'll be interesting to see what the recommendations are next week when I go to a Mizuno Fitting event.

Dave,

I'm in a remote location with no access to a fitter. My DNA numbers are 78,4,4,7,5.

I've been pleased with the TT XP 115 Reg shaft which is the number one recommendation. I'm wondering if the modus 105 stiff would also work if I wanted to increase swing speed. The modus 105 didn't even show as an option when I had my fitting about 12-18 months ago. The C-taper lite and KBS tour were the other two recommendations.

thanks in advance

Dave,

I'm in a remote location with no access to a fitter. My DNA numbers are 78,4,4,7,5.

I've been pleased with the TT XP 115 Reg shaft which is the number one recommendation. I'm wondering if the modus 105 stiff would also work if I wanted to increase swing speed. The modus 105 didn't even show as an option when I had my fitting about 12-18 months ago. The C-taper lite and KBS tour were the other two recommendations.

The new version of the software gives, KBS C Taper Lite R, Nippon Modus 105 R and True Temper XP 105 R300. The recommendations are on the more flexible side because your tempo is smooth.

Certainly nice if you can increase swing speed (hard to achieve) but what is more important is how the speed is produced. For example if more speed came as a result of more aggression, then extra weight might be required, to keep the aggression in balance.

Modus 105 is in the Ping and Mizuno fitting carts so try the regular and stiff flexes for yourself. It's a nice smooth shaft.

Many thanks to you DaveMac!

It appears the new software has recommended lighter shafts across the board with only the C-Taper Lite being part of my original recommendation. The C-Taper Lite also provided very respectable numbers during my original fitting as I still have all the screen shots from each shaft and head combination. I like having a smooth swing so I won't be changing that to gain SS.

I've tried the TT XP 105 stiff and don't have an issue with it however it is the lightest of the recommended 3 shafts (101 grams). I was interested in the Modus 105 because of the additional 4 grams in weight compared to the XP 105. Maybe I'll consider the Modus 105 stiff, soft stepped once or twice as a compromise. This would allow me to have a few additional grams in weight without varying the flex profile too drastically.

Any additional thoughts?

It appears the new software has recommended lighter shafts across the board with only the C-Taper Lite being part of my original recommendation. The C-Taper Lite also provided very respectable numbers during my original fitting as I still have all the screen shots from each shaft and head combination. I like having a smooth swing so I won't be changing that to gain SS.

I've tried the TT XP 105 stiff and don't have an issue with it however it is the lightest of the recommended 3 shafts (101 grams). I was interested in the Modus 105 because of the additional 4 grams in weight compared to the XP 105. Maybe I'll consider the Modus 105 stiff, soft stepped once or twice as a compromise. This would allow me to have a few additional grams in weight without varying the flex profile too drastically.

Any additional thoughts?

The Modus 105 S only requires a couple more MPH of clubhead speed to become a recommendation, so provided you like the feel of the shaft, it is a perfectly valid option. If you are going down the soft stepping route, once would be fine.

Still recommend you try the shaft if possible, even the NS Pro 950 will give you and idea of how the Nippon's compare to True Temper, different steel so different feel.

Dave? Do you know off the top of your head if Mizuno will 'soft step' twice if specified, or do they just do it generically once?

Jay 65,

I generally order my clubs with my golf instructor at Golf Tech. In the past he as suggested Mizuno will "step" more than once in any direction if specified at the time of order. I personally have not requested a set stepped "twice" in either direction.

Dave? Do you know off the top of your head if Mizuno will 'soft step' twice if specified, or do they just do it generically once?

Generally only once, you would need a contact (pro, fitter, rep) to get it cleared as a special request.

You could hard step the softer flex, which would put you in the same place (more or less), depending on shaft model.

Cheers guys, all I can do is ask, should the need arise, which it may not of course, I just wanted to go in armed with all the info and possibilities if I need to.

By the way Dave, I'd rather not hard step the softer flex, because the weight of the softer flex is 10g lighter than the stiffer flex (going from KBS Tour Stiff 120g to KBS Tour X 130g), and it's the weight that I'm probably going to be after and need, so soft stepping the heavier weight would make more sense rather than hard stepping the softer flex, if that makes sense. It's just to tame my transition little and keep it in check, as it does get a bit too quick sometimes, and the 120g shaft doesn't do that, but the 130g seems to help.

Any additional thoughts?

The Modus 105 S only requires a couple more MPH of clubhead speed to become a recommendation, so provided you like the feel of the shaft, it is a perfectly valid option. If you are going down the soft stepping route, once would be fine.

Still recommend you try the shaft if possible, even the NS Pro 950 will give you and idea of how the Nippon's compare to True Temper, different steel so different feel.

DaveMac, thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge, experience and wisdom regarding this topic. I am better informed.

Cheers guys, all I can do is ask, should the need arise, which it may not of course, I just wanted to go in armed with all the info and possibilities if I need to.

By the way Dave, I'd rather not hard step the softer flex, because the weight of the softer flex is 10g lighter than the stiffer flex (going from KBS Tour Stiff 120g to KBS Tour X 130g), and it's the weight that I'm probably going to be after and need, so soft stepping the heavier weight would make more sense rather than hard stepping the softer flex, if that makes sense. It's just to tame my transition little and keep it in check, as it does get a bit too quick sometimes, and the 120g shaft doesn't do that, but the 130g seems to help.

Understood, KBS Tour is a consistent profile throughout the flex range so makes soft stepping more predictable. They kind of do it themselves with R+ and S+ flexes.

Would you please run my numbers? 88-5-5-5-6

Recommendations are, KBS Tour S, Dynamic Gold AMT S300 and Project X 6.0, XP 115 S300 is number 4 on the list.

Thank you! Strangely enough I just found my list from last year - it suggested Dynamic Gold X100 ss, Project X 6.0, and KBS Tour X ss. Software must have updated.

Are those suggestions listed in order? Or just top 3?

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 10.5* with Tensei Blue 65S

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 19* with Tensei Blue 75S

Taylormade RSI 2 6-PW-AW-SW with PX Flighted 6.0

Putter: TBD

Recommendations are, KBS Tour S, Dynamic Gold AMT S300 and Project X 6.0, XP 115 S300 is number 4 on the list.

Thank you! Strangely enough I just found my list from last year - it suggested Dynamic Gold X100 ss, Project X 6.0, and KBS Tour X ss. Software must have updated.

Yes this is the output order, it doesn't really mean that number 1 will be your best fit, it is just a sub set for you to test.

Yes the software has been significantly updated, mainly to accommodate the wider range of shafts in the 90 - 115 range but the EI shaft data has been used to refine the recommendations, these generally still fall on the strong side for the majority of players, which was the case with your last recommendations. The software tries harder to save weight if possible, which is why your recommendations are in the 120 gram range. If the tempo is increased to 6 a few X versions show up in the recommendations.

Not a problem if you are more comfortable with the additional weight and feel of the stronger shafts.

Yes this is the output order, it doesn't really mean that number 1 will be your best fit, it is just a sub set for you to test.

Yes the software has been significantly updated, mainly to accommodate the wider range of shafts in the 90 - 115 range but the EI shaft data has been used to refine the recommendations, these generally still fall on the strong side for the majority of players, which was the case with your last recommendations. The software tries harder to save weight if possible, which is why your recommendations are in the 120 gram range. If the tempo is increased to 6 a few X versions show up in the recommendations.

Not a problem if you are more comfortable with the additional weight and feel of the stronger shafts.

Interesting. Last year, the Mizuno rep built be a JPX 850 with X100 and I found it boardy and harsh. S300 felt great!

Interesting. Last year, the Mizuno rep built be a JPX 850 with X100 and I found it boardy and harsh. S300 felt great!

I've played the X100 for 8 years and I never thought about the shaft being boardy. That is until I swung a Modus 105x. Now I agree with this statement. The X100 is not what I'd call a smooth feeling shaft.

Isn't it weird how golf equipment works? I have seen tons of posts calling PX harsh and boardy. While PX 6.0 and X100 are pretty close in stiffness (X100 just a little stiffer), PX 6.0 felt great to me but X100 felt like swinging an aluminum bat at a telephone pole. The rep also built me a KBS Tour X, and that felt much better than X100 but according to the FCM chart, KBS Tour X is stiffer than DG X100.

can anyone run my #s

88mph 5 5 4 6

This is crazy. You and I have nearly identical numbers but different recommendations. I am 88mph 5 5 5 6. Apparently one point of variance in the kick angle makes a huge difference. Who knew?

You got KBS Tour S, XP 115 S, and C-Taper Lite X. I got KBS Tour S, Project X 6.0, and Dynamic Gold AMT S300.

can anyone run my #s

88mph 5 5 4 6

This is crazy. You and I have nearly identical numbers but different recommendations. I am 88mph 5 5 5 6. Apparently one point of variance in the kick angle makes a huge difference. Who knew?

You got KBS Tour S, XP 115 S, and C-Taper Lite X. I got KBS Tour S, Project X 6.0, and Dynamic Gold AMT S300.

I've said this many times now but just to clarify, the Optimiser don't look at your swing and provide the perfect shaft number one on the list. It simply suggests a sub set of recommendations for further testing, based on feedback from testing the fitter can further change the shaft based on performance and player feedback. It is only subtly different to a human club fitter looking at your swing and picking three shafts from his/her inventory for you to try. The difference being the DNA system (assuming it is using the same version of the software) will always give the same recommendations. IMO this is good, especially in big box stores were fitters / sales assistants often don't have extensive fitting experience.

The difference in the recommendations above is because a different version of the software was used for the earlier recommendation, it wasn't due to the difference in kick angle.. There is significant overlap between the two sets of recommendations and ultimately it is the final player testing that confirms the shaft selection.

It is a discreet system, so at certain points in the software 1mph or 1 swing factor point will make a significant difference to the recommendations, the latest version of the software is a little better at handling these transaction points,

Bottom line is if you hit the three recommendations and don't like them, try alternatives until you find something you like.

Any additional thoughts?

First, thanks again to DaveMac who helped me earlier in this thread.

Also, for everyone, just to reiterate, you can do your own profile if you pick up the Mizuno PFS app in the Apple Store (iOS only). It's kind of neat to see how varying swing speed even a couple of MPH or the other inputs by a point or two can change the recommendations. Which is why, as DaveMac says, the recs are just a starting point that can't replace full swing testing.

@daveisdman We have similar profiles. I think DaveMac kind of intimated this, but just to be clear that our profiles (mine is 78 4-4-5-6) put us on the cusp of a lot of recommendations. DaveMac confirmed my fitter was on the right track when he entered my speed of 78 (instead of my actual speed of 80) due to my age and because I told him I don't switch irons out very frequently. At the time under the old software, 78 mph gave out some different recommendations than 80. I ended up going with KBS Tour R because they appeared in both sets of recommendations, I soft-stepped them once and I could not be happier.

Any additional thoughts?

First, thanks again to DaveMac who helped me earlier in this thread.

Also, for everyone, just to reiterate, you can do your own profile if you pick up the Mizuno PFS app in the Apple Store (iOS only). It's kind of neat to see how varying swing speed even a couple of MPH or the other inputs by a point or two can change the recommendations. Which is why, as DaveMac says, the recs are just a starting point that can't replace full swing testing.

@daveisdman We have similar profiles. I think DaveMac kind of intimated this, but just to be clear that our profiles (mine is 78 4-4-5-6) put us on the cusp of a lot of recommendations. DaveMac confirmed my fitter was on the right track when he entered my speed of 78 (instead of my actual speed of 80) due to my age and because I told him I don't switch irons out very frequently. At the time under the old software, 78 mph gave out some different recommendations than 80. I ended up going with KBS Tour R because they appeared in both sets of recommendations, I soft-stepped them once and I could not be happier.

Games,

I couldn't agree with you more. I continually review the results of my last fitting and none of the recommended shafts performed horrible. There were minor differences in spin but to be honest most of the variability was introduced by my swing. I know the Modus 105 is a smooth shaft and I've played the XP series now for several years.

After my fitting I believe any of the recommended three will work fine for me. The real work begins now as I focus on swing improvements .

@davemac

I just picked up a Mizuno shaft optimizer club (driver) for really cheap. Pardon my ignorance, but does the wood optimizer only work for drivers? Is there a separate iron version? I've never seen one used in the wild!

I haven't seen a driver length Optimiser test club. The MK1 version of the iron test club was a fixed head 6 iron (with an over length shaft) the electronics package was black in colour.

Is there a chance you have a hybrid headed version of the MK1 test club?