2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bandon: Caddie or no Caddie

youngun87

[quote name='cottonseed' timestamp='1346072170' post='5541741']
I would be careful with asking your dads caddie for advice, even if you are going to pay him. It has been my experience that caddies don't generally like this practice. Espeically when one of their buddies is sitting in the yard without any work. Don't be surprised if your dad's caddie is not interested in helping you even if you offer to pay him.
[/quote]

That has not been my experience. Especially if you're upfront about what you need and want, and that you're willing to pay him accordingly. Frankly, that would be the quickest route to that caddie getting complaints and getting canned. And from a purely practical standpoint, why would he only want to earn $80 for a loop when he could add a bit more advice and get an extra $25?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1346093078' post='5543851']
I would be careful with asking your dads caddie for advice, even if you are going to pay him. It has been my experience that caddies don't generally like this practice. Espeically when one of their buddies is sitting in the yard without any work. Don't be surprised if your dad's caddie is not interested in helping you even if you offer to pay him.
[/quote]

That has not been my experience. Especially if you're upfront about what you need and want, and that you're willing to pay him accordingly. Frankly, that would be the quickest route to that caddie getting complaints and getting canned. And from a purely practical standpoint, why would he only want to earn $80 for a loop when he could add a bit more advice and get an extra $25?
[/quote]

So hire a caddy.

Bandon says that the client (you) determines the fee.

That's a heck of a lot better than Pebble or other places - who charge a fee + tip.

You're already getting a bargain at Bandon...why try to skate the rules? That ruins the experience for the rest of those that follow simply b/c you're being cheap or selfish.

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1346095004' post='5544057']
[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1346093078' post='5543851']
[/quote]

[/quote]

So hire a caddy.

Bandon says that the client (you) determines the fee.

That's a heck of a lot better than Pebble or other places - who charge a fee + tip.

You're already getting a bargain at Bandon...why try to skate the rules? That ruins the experience for the rest of those that follow simply b/c you're being cheap or selfish.
[/quote]

You seem to misunderstand. Nobody is skirting the rules. Bandon offers the services of forecaddie for $25 per man for 18 holes. That's a resort-sanctioned practice, not a skirting of the rules. In the case of a foursome, there would be one forecaddie for the group, and he would be paid $100 ($25/man). He doesn't carry any bags. He helps point out lines (particularly on blind shots), helps club you, and helps with reads - basically, all the things a caddie would do minus carrying the bag.

What the OP is asking and I'm suggesting is pretty much the same thing, and is what I've been told on the phone with the resort would be acceptable. I've asked about how we would handle a situation where some in our foursome wanted a caddie and some wanted nothing or a forecaddie.

Just because you don't understand the way things work there doesn't mean you need to lob grenades like "cheap" and "selfish" - you should educate yourself before you do that.

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1346097281' post='5544315']

Just because you don't understand the way things work there doesn't mean you need to lob grenades like "cheap" and "selfish" - you should educate yourself before you do that.
[/quote]

CH:

With all due respect - I see your point.

However reread Cottonseed's response - it seems that what you want to do, is not what he was talking about. He seems to be addressing the issue (that I also addressed) about asking someone else's caddie and paying them on the side.

I'm fairly accurate about Bandon - I have spoken to them about an upcoming trip this fall. Have a great time - looking forward to hearing about it..I hope it meets your expectations. :)

I played Bandon shortly after it opened without a caddie and loved it. I also played Pacific shortly after it opened without a caddie on a brutally windy day and did get a little tired but nothing too bad. I really just didn't want the extra expense and didn't see how a guy I had never met could club me. My wife did mention out of the 4 groups she saw coming up 18 I was the only one smiling. It really is a crazy good complex!

I've been to Bandon twice and played three rounds each time. First time, two people in our group got caddies. One was great the other was terrible. The good one gave me some unsolicited advice on all three rounds and I tipped him for all three. First two days I did not get tired but the third day I was really tired and wish I had a caddie.

Second time, same foursome with same two people getting caddies. They were both horrible. It seemed like they didnt even want to be there.

Next year I plan to get a caddie for at least one day, most likely the last day as we always play Pacific on the last day and I have never had a chance to really enjoy it due to being so tired. Once we have the date set, I am going to contact the good caddie from first trip and book him right away. Can't wait to go back!

Just got back from Bandon. Played Trails, Pacific Preserve Day 1, Dunes Day 2, Old Mac and Trails Day 3. Caddies definitely worth it if you're playing more than 18. They save your feet and your back. Secondly there are some very tricky holes on all the courses except Preserve where you need the caddies local knowledge. They will save you from some serious blow uip holes. Third, the greens are still young on all the courses at Bandon Dunes. They all putt very inconsistently and its is something I saw when Poppy Hills first opened in nocal. It takes courses a few years for greens to really develop and play true. I say this because I was getting frustrated with the greens and at least you will have another pair of eyes to help read the nuances in the greens. You have to just realize you and the caddy will be fooled from time to time. Two putting is at a premium on all the courses. Caddies will only help keep the putts down.

[quote name='Miura5002' timestamp='1346201806' post='5551917']
Third, the greens are still young on all the courses at Bandon Dunes. They all putt very inconsistently and its is something I saw when Poppy Hills first opened in nocal. It takes courses a few years for greens to really develop and play true. I say this because I was getting frustrated with the greens and at least you will have another pair of eyes to help read the nuances in the greens. You have to just realize you and the caddy will be fooled from time to time. Two putting is at a premium on all the courses. Caddies will only help keep the putts down.
[/quote]

Sorry, but the greens on Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes are NOT young. Those courses are 13 and 11 years old respectively. If you can't putt them, don't blame the greens, blame the Indian :)

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='dpark' timestamp='1346203443' post='5552095']
[quote name='Miura5002' timestamp='1346201806' post='5551917']
Third, the greens are still young on all the courses at Bandon Dunes. They all putt very inconsistently and its is something I saw when Poppy Hills first opened in nocal. It takes courses a few years for greens to really develop and play true. I say this because I was getting frustrated with the greens and at least you will have another pair of eyes to help read the nuances in the greens. You have to just realize you and the caddy will be fooled from time to time. Two putting is at a premium on all the courses. Caddies will only help keep the putts down.
[/quote]

Sorry, but the greens on Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes are NOT young. Those courses are 13 and 11 years old respectively. If you can't putt them, don't blame the greens, blame the Indian :)
[/quote]

Agree. The greens at Bandon Dunes are young? That's a head scratcher. In 40 years they'll play the same as they do now.

Last year about this time I was playing Pacific and two of the people in our group had caddies and the other two had pullcarts. At one point one of the caddy-less golfers asked a simple question of one of the loopers (something along the lines of "what side of the fairway do you want to be on?"). The
response:

"Ask your caddy Rick- Rick Shaw"

As far as whether or not one actually [i]needs [/i]a caddy to play the Bandon courses; if you plan on playing 36 a day (which everyone should), I can't imagine carrying my own bag for 36 over these tracks. Unless you're in superior shape it would be hard to get through the last 18, much less enjoy it.

[center]Driver[b]: [/b]Callaway RAZR Fit with F[color=#3E3E3E]ujikrua Blur TS-65
Fairway: Callaway: Diablo Edge Tour with [/color][color=#3E3E3E]UST V2
Hybrids: Titleist[/color][color=#3E3E3E] 910H with G[/color][color=#3E3E3E]raphic Design Tour AD YSQ
Irons: Ping: I10 and G10 Combo Set
Wedges: S[/color][color=#3E3E3E]cratch (RIP) - 50, 56, and 60 degree 8260[/color][/center]
[center][color=#3E3E3E]And proud author of [url="http://www.digitalfairways.com"]Digital Fairways[/url][/color][/center]

[quote name='JLT1971' timestamp='1346348773' post='5561329']
Last year about this time I was playing Pacific and two of the people in our group had caddies and the other two had pullcarts. At one point one of the caddy-less golfers asked a simple question of one of the loopers (something along the lines of "what side of the fairway do you want to be on?"). The
response:

[/quote]

If that was my caddie and he made that response to one of my playing companions, he'd be looking at a (slightly) reduced tip, and very possibly a comment from me to the pro shop.

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1346454441' post='5568133']
[quote name='JLT1971' timestamp='1346348773' post='5561329']
response:

[/quote]

If that was my caddie and he made that response to one of my playing companions, he'd be looking at a (slightly) reduced tip, and very possibly a comment from me to the pro shop.
[/quote]

Hell no! Assuming the foursome knew each other, I would have been laughing my a$$ off at my caddy-less buddy and telling him that's what he gets for being a cheapskate!

You don't take a caddy, don't expect advice. If it is offered, you can graciously accept it (and give some $$$ at the end of the round) or you can say "thanks but I'm fine" and a good caddy won't offer it again and you can play your own game.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Well folks, I am at Bandon right now and decided to get a caddy. It is not necessary but I am glad I did as it makes the experience that much better. This place is awesome. Best golf destination I have been to by far and that includes pebble and whistling straits/ blacks of run. Off to the pub for a few drinks and then back to bed to rest up for a 7 am t.ee time at pacific. Thanks for all the responses.

TM Stealth+ 9* VENTUS TR BLUE 
TM Stealth 2+ 16.5* VENTUS BLACK 
SRIXON ZK MK II UTILITY 3 IRON NIPPON GOST 

SRIXON ZX MK II UTILITY 4 IRON DG TI 120

ARTISAN PW-5 DG TI 120

CLEVELAND RTX 6 ZIPCORE TOUR RACK 52*

ARTISAN CUSTUM 56* 60* DG TI 
TOUR RAT PROTO

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='kharmon' timestamp='1347389796' post='5624251']
I was with a group of 8 guys at Bandon August 21-24 and played 36 holes each day with caddie. We really researched and got 4 of the best caddies for all 6 of our rounds. Could not have had a better time, well worth it!
[/quote]

Do you mind sharing their names? Anybody ever used Cam (not sure of last name) or Scott Curry?

Scottie is an awesome caddie. One of the more popular caddies there. He'll be club'n you within 2 holes. Very nice and very professional. Don't be surprised if you get a reservation for a caddie, get the confirmation, then when you actually get there, they tell you your caddie is unavailable and you get another caddie. Happens all the time because you can't clone the good caddies.

[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1347389994' post='5624275']
I was with a group of 8 guys at Bandon August 21-24 and played 36 holes each day with caddie. We really researched and got 4 of the best caddies for all 6 of our rounds. Could not have had a better time, well worth it!
[/quote]

Do you mind sharing their names? Anybody ever used Cam (not sure of last name) or Scott Curry?
[/quote]

We had John Bap, Tim Tucker, David & Todd. Sorry, I do not have the last names for Todd & David. I had John Bap (he's the greatest!) on my bag for half my rounds and David for the other half. All 4 were great though!

Just don't get Sasha! She's definitely more attractive than most of the men, but loads of attitude and not a lot of knowledge about the game. Instead of focusing on my game, I spent most of my time trying not to piss her off. For all i know, she may be long gone, but would roll her eyes or whisper comments to the other caddie like a little schoolgirl when my buddy or I would blow a putt or skank a shot. Not nice.

All the other caddies we had were a blast and very good...I think I shaved about 10 shots off the prior days round.

And yes, you'd have to be crazy to play at Bandon without a real caddie.

[quote name='kharmon' timestamp='1347465376' post='5629129']
[/quote]

[/quote]

We had John Bap, Tim Tucker, David & Todd. Sorry, I do not have the last names for Todd & David. I had John Bap (he's the greatest!) on my bag for half my rounds and David for the other half. All 4 were great though!
[/quote]

[quote name='kharmon' timestamp='1347465376' post='5629129']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

By John Bap, do you mean John the Baptist? He was gone for a while, but heard he is back. He was a great caddie when I used him a couple of years ago. Hadn't thought of asking for him in recent trips because I didn't know he had returned.

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Played 4 rounds without a caddie, One of the forsome had a caddie. It depends on how you feel about their opnions. When I get a different read from a caddie and i go their way and it misses like I thought it would it really bothers me so I go on my own and trust my reads. Some blind shots but you can get around and still shoot low without one.