2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bandon: Caddie or no Caddie

youngun87

Going on a trip with my father and one of his buddies. They have already booked caddies for themselves so I have a question. As I do not mind carrying my own clubs, is it really worth to get a caddie for me as well? I figure the caddie/s in the group would be able to help me out with aiming points but my concern is that I will be playing the tips and my father and his friend will be playing the seniors tees? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

TM Stealth+ 9* VENTUS TR BLUE 
TM Stealth 2+ 16.5* VENTUS BLACK 
SRIXON ZK MK II UTILITY 3 IRON NIPPON GOST 

SRIXON ZX MK II UTILITY 4 IRON DG TI 120

ARTISAN PW-5 DG TI 120

CLEVELAND RTX 6 ZIPCORE TOUR RACK 52*

ARTISAN CUSTUM 56* 60* DG TI 
TOUR RAT PROTO

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After two years of playing with a caddy, i went without one this last trip. There were three of us and I carried mine with no problems although the last nine each afternoon was a bit tough. Day two I tried their pull carts for the afternoon 18 and didn't really like that. I dropped a few clubs out of the bag Day 3 and it was fine.
The other two in my group shared a caddy and paid the usual fees ... I took care of the tip each day since we all walked together, talked, got advise and had a great time.
I hear the par 3 course is great but bring a second pair of socks for the afternoon 18 (if you're playing 36) and your best walking shoes -- even if they are cross trainers. Its great.
The 17th hole at Trails may be the prettiest, most natural par 3 ever.

Took a caddy for the first go around at Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, and Bandon Trails (Old Macdonald was still under construction). Went on our own the second time. It was nice doing it both ways.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

Don't get a caddie for yourself. Carry your own bag and just ask them where to hit it off the tee on the few holes that are blind. Listen to them on the greens as they tell your dad which way the greens break. Give 'em 40-50 bucks after the round as a thank you. They'll feel better about it and you'll save 60% off the caddie fee and tip. The money you'll save in caddie fees/tips you can use to play Pebble Beach or Spyglass Hill on your next golf trip or if you're a ho, a new driver.

Thanks for the responses. I am playing the preserve and bandon on the first day, trails and mcdonald on the second, and pacific and mcdonald on the third. I have never been so excited for a trip before and last year we did the pebble beach trip. Im either just going to get a forecaddie or no caddie at all and use the extra cash on some black oxide TVD wedges. I actually would prefer to carry my bag because thats what I am used to doing in tournaments. I have read some of the threads about Bandon on here but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again

TM Stealth+ 9* VENTUS TR BLUE 
TM Stealth 2+ 16.5* VENTUS BLACK 
SRIXON ZK MK II UTILITY 3 IRON NIPPON GOST 

SRIXON ZX MK II UTILITY 4 IRON DG TI 120

ARTISAN PW-5 DG TI 120

CLEVELAND RTX 6 ZIPCORE TOUR RACK 52*

ARTISAN CUSTUM 56* 60* DG TI 
TOUR RAT PROTO

Done it the last 2 times that I went after not using them the first 5 times. If you get the right one, it defineately helps with reads but my experience with the caliber of caddies there is mixed. I think you can go either way and have a good experience.

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Srixon ZX5 mkII  Modus 105R

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus/DG S400

Mizuno M Craft VI

CADDIE.......CADDIE....CADDIE. First timers definitly. They are a long walking courses, some green to tee's are up steps over around a dune 150 yards. It can be a workout. Wear worn in shoes a good pair of socks and an xtra pair in your bag. Give us a report when you return :wave:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='shall' timestamp='1345131209' post='5482664']
Caddie...Sasha if she is still there!!
[/quote]Nice avatar. Some say, on his last golf outing, when he was told it was his turn to drive, he dropped the club and headed for the cart. And that when he was told he was going to spend a few hours with "a caddy" on some farmlands, and found out it was golf, and not some new upscale offroad vehicle from Government Motors, he threw his helmet at the producer causing three stitches and a broken nose. All we know is... he's called the STIG!

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='youngun87' timestamp='1344988681' post='5472674']
Thanks for the responses. I am playing the preserve and bandon on the first day, trails and mcdonald on the second, and pacific and mcdonald on the third. I have never been so excited for a trip before and last year we did the pebble beach trip. Im either just going to get a forecaddie or no caddie at all and use the extra cash on some black oxide TVD wedges. I actually would prefer to carry my bag because thats what I am used to doing in tournaments. I have read some of the threads about Bandon on here but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again
[/quote]

Playing 36 a day you'll be much better off if you took a caddie. No way you'll be able to squeeze in another nine afterwards if you've caried your own bag all day long! I made the trip before the Preserve and McDonald were open, not sure how hard they are to walk, but I was glad I didn't have to lug my own on the other courses, and I've caddied for twenty years here on the east coast.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1345133413' post='5482890']
[/quote]Nice avatar. Some say, on his last golf outing, when he was told it was his turn to drive, he dropped the club and headed for the cart. And that when he was told he was going to spend a few hours with "a caddy" on some farmlands, and found out it was golf, and not some new upscale offroad vehicle from Government Motors, he threw his helmet at the producer causing three stitches and a broken nose. All we know is... he's called the STIG!

--kC
[/quote]

Thanks. I am not the stig. ;)

[quote name='shall' timestamp='1345606868' post='5513792']
[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1345133413' post='5482890']

--kC
[/quote]

Thanks. I am not the stig. ;)
[/quote]

Classic!

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

For my part, I generally prefer to play without the added chatter and complication of having four players plus two caddies all spending 4 hours together while I'm trying to play golf and pay attention to the course. Six people all trying to get a word in edgewise feels more like a meeting at work than a relaxing day of golf, frankly.

That said, an occasional round with a caddie is an interesting change of pace. But no way I'd go play six rounds in four days with every round being a big-group experience. It's just too much, too much.

In your situation, if you're playing tees 50+ yards behind the other two guys you're there with you then presumably one caddie will be double-bagging for the guys at the up tees and you would share one with whatever fourth player is paired up with you. I'd be tempted to book a caddie for the first round and play it by ear after that, if you're allowed to do that.

All that aside, one part of your question has a simple answer. If you are going to expecting or asking for advice from a caddie then [b]pay the caddie[/b]. There's few worse kinds of cheapskate-ness in golf than the guy who does not want to pay for a caddie's service but then pesters someone else's caddie for advice constantly. [b]DO NOT BE THAT GUY[/b].

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1345632508' post='5514484']
All that aside, one part of your question has a simple answer. If you are going to expecting or asking for advice from a caddie then [b]pay the caddie[/b]. There's few worse kinds of cheapskate-ness in golf than the guy who does not want to pay for a caddie's service but then pesters someone else's caddie for advice constantly. [b]DO NOT BE THAT GUY[/b].
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='youngun87' timestamp='1344988681' post='5472674']
I have never been so excited for a trip before [/quote]

Get the caddie. You aren't at Bandon to save money. You are there to hit shots you can't hit anywhere in America.

How are you going to know where to hit the 50 yard bumping shot to the green?

If this is your first time, get a caddy. If and when you come back you can loop for yourself, but for first-timers, I always recommend a caddy.

You can ask for a senior caddy but you may not get one (supply and demand). There are other threads where you can find the names of some recommended caddys.

It really is a different experience with a caddy at Bandon. First of all, it is a set of courses unlike anything you will see in the US, so to be able to walk around, take some pics and soak it all in, without having to carry your bag is a big plus. There are some holes where some local advice on how to play it will be very helpful. You can obviously get this from your dad's caddy but if you have your own caddy who is focused on you (and assuming you get a good caddy), he/she can really provide some helpful advice to enable you to get around the course better and make a few more putts.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

get a caddy if it's your first time. It will help a lot.

I have made the trek 12 times and now prefer carrying my own bag. But only because I know all the courses like the back of my hand. I took a caddie the first couple of rds on Old Mac, just to understand where not to hit it.

Some of the caddies there are great, some can be frustrating at times. Like others have said, if you get a great caddy the experience is priceless.

BTW, Bandon beats Pebble on so many levels, it's not even funny.

[quote name='TML' timestamp='1345775694' post='5525234']
get a caddy if it's your first time. It will help a lot.

I have made the trek 12 times and now prefer carrying my own bag. But only because I know all the courses like the back of my hand. I took a caddie the first couple of rds on Old Mac, just to understand where not to hit it.

Some of the caddies there are great, some can be frustrating at times. Like others have said, if you get a great caddy the experience is priceless.

BTW, Bandon beats Pebble on so many levels, it's not even funny.
[/quote]

Agreed on all points. If this is your first time, a caddiy can give you aim points, shot selections, and green reads that might not be initially apparent. I've been making an annual trip to Bandon for ten years, so don't take a caddy any more. If you've played true links golf you will have a leg up, if not, then a caddy will definately save you some strokes, as these courses play very different compared to most tracks in the U.S,

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

I am fortunate to play the Bandon Dunes courses annually.

The first time I visited Bandon was the year it opened, I played the course twice and took a caddie.

The first time I played number #12 (a 175 yard, slightly downhill par 3), my caddie hands me my driver and says: you may not make it. I hit a great drive and was short.

The next day, same weather but at a different time of day, we arrive at #12 and he hands me a 4 iron and tells me tells me to swing easy. It was a sweet par.

I take a caddie every time I play Bandon and it is money extremely well spent.

If this is your first time, it is silly to not take a caddie, given the time and expense you have already committed to get to Bandon.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

Just got back from Bandon yesterday, played 36 holes a day for 5 days straight. Your question was about caddies, so I won't go on about how amazing the place is. My buddy and I did not take caddies and were not disappointed. First couple of days we carried our own bags in the morning then switched over to their pull carts. The next 3 days we used the pull carts and it was a good decision. Every round except one, their was a caddy in our group. Good enough guys, but was never impressed by the instruction given to our playing partners. Not too mention, they almost always carry double so at times it was a logistical challenge of keeping up with both players. Although there are some blind shots, the courses are pretty straight forward and losing balls is not a problem. If money is no object, take the caddies, but I saved $1000 by not taking a caddy every round. That is basically another 2 days of lodging and 72 holes of golf. My advice, buy yardage books, take a pull cart, bring a range finder and if the wind is knocking your hat off, it is at least 3 clubs. Enjoy the trip. Best I have ever taken.

There is a third option - a forecaddie. The question about taking a caddie is actually two questions: one about expertise/local knowledge/advice, and one about the physical task of carrying your bag. If you're unconcerned about the latter, then arranging ahead of time that you'd like to either take a forecaddie ($25/man) or pay your dad's caddie to also help you out - then that's a great option. If you also want the carrying-bag part - well, that's pretty obvious that you need to hire your own caddie.

We're going in late March. I'm planning to get forecaddies for all rounds, and we may decide to upgrade to full caddies for some (but certainly not all) of the rounds.

I would be careful with asking your dads caddie for advice, even if you are going to pay him. It has been my experience that caddies don't generally like this practice. Espeically when one of their buddies is sitting in the yard without any work. Don't be surprised if your dad's caddie is not interested in helping you even if you offer to pay him.