2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What is so great about Cameron

bengtson14

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not that great-just great marketing! if you are a poor putter with your putter this will not improve your putting-If you are really interested in improving look at SeeMore Putters as they have a built in system for alignment different from anyone else-in fact Ernie Els just switched to it.

LMAO.....yep the SeeMore is the answer.

Just find a putter you like and feel comfortable with and get it professionally fitted.

OK - I will bite without attempting to offend any one too much.

For about a 10 year period beginning in 1994 or so, Scotty made the best mass produced high quality product for the masses. Some will argue that he still does and it is a valid argument.

Scotty's genius lay in taking what others had done before and making refinements to that putter. He is a genius in modifying heads, hosels, etc and putting a different "slant" to them, so to speak.

I owned about 11 Scottys between 95 and 2002 - all the way from the gun blues, terryliums, Coronado mallet, Pro Platinum and Studio Designs

My only real issue with his product is the lack of options - let's say finding a 350g head in a 34 inch putter on the retail floor.

But as time marches on, other have caught up to Scotty in terms of retail and his recent designs, Studio Style, Circa 62, and Detours, aren't exactly flying off the shelves. Fine putters, but Scotty now has a lot of competition in the marketplace. In order to recapture his market, I think he needs to go more custom spec -- like a 350g head in a 34 inch putter -- as others are doing, or his market share will erode.

Plus - with access to these boards, we've found that for $300 or less, we can find a handmade TP Mills or Tom Slighter Putters or others who will make a putter more in line with our specs.

In the retail market, Never Compromise Exchange Putters - Milled and Changeable weights; TaylorMade AGSI, Yes, Rife and others have introduced some type of groove technology that Scotty does not have. Bobby Grace has fine milled putters with variable weighting; Ping has introduced a new line of Redwood Putters that outdo Scotty in some ways in that I believe you can custom order the weights and they have similar quality as Cameron.

The competition has caught up with SC on the retail end.

We'll have to see if SC responds or keeps on pushing his new Detour Training Aid into his normal line....... ugh.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

They are not that great-just great marketing! if you are a poor putter with your putter this will not improve your putting-If you are really interested in improving look at SeeMore Putters as they have a built in system for alignment different from anyone else-in fact Ernie Els just switched to it.

I was putting with a SeeMore before Payne (at least I think I was) won the 99 (?) Open with it. Has it been that long? The designs haven't really changed much, at all, in 7 years.

The new ones just look like a block with a stick hanging out of it. I like the training aid aspect of it but that wears off after about 30 minutes.

I wish them well.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I just bought a Scotty a couple of weeks ago. I tried all the Newport styles and did not like them. Tried the Circa 62 models and found one I liked. First day a made a lot of putts...thought this is great! Second day I was back to normal and missed my share. I like the feel of it better than my old Odessy. It is definately a confidence thing with Scotty. If it is good enough for Tiger then it is good enough for me:).

My Scotty has a leather grip, black finish and feels very well balanced. It looks good and I feel comfortable with it in my hands. For me, it was worth the money.

For about a 10 year period beginning in 1994 or so, Scotty made the best mass produced high quality product for the masses. Some will argue that he still does and it is a valid argument.

Scotty's genius lay in taking what others had done before and making refinements to that putter. He is a genius in modifying heads, hosels, etc and putting a different "slant" to them, so to speak.

I owned about 11 Scottys between 95 and 2002 - all the way from the gun blues, terryliums, Coronado mallet, Pro Platinum and Studio Designs

My only real issue with his product is the lack of options - let's say finding a 350g head in a 34 inch putter on the retail floor.

But as time marches on, other have caught up to Scotty in terms of retail and his recent designs, Studio Style, Circa 62, and Detours, aren't exactly flying off the shelves. Fine putters, but Scotty now has a lot of competition in the marketplace. In order to recapture his market, I think he needs to go more custom spec -- like a 350g head in a 34 inch putter -- as others are doing, or his market share will erode.

Plus - with access to these boards, we've found that for $300 or less, we can find a handmade TP Mills or Tom Slighter Putters or others who will make a putter more in line with our specs.

In the retail market, Never Compromise Exchange Putters - Milled and Changeable weights; TaylorMade AGSI, Yes, Rife and others have introduced some type of groove technology that Scotty does not have. Bobby Grace has fine milled putters with variable weighting; Ping has introduced a new line of Redwood Putters that outdo Scotty in some ways in that I believe you can custom order the weights and they have similar quality as Cameron.

We'll have to see if SC responds or keeps on pushing his new Detour Training Aid into his normal line....... ugh.

My only problem with this statement is this part "He is a genius in modifying heads, hosels, etc and putting a different "slant" to them, so to speak."

I have yet to see what Scotty has done on his own except perhaps the detour and futura. Modifying heads, hosels, necks, etc. were created/invented by other craftsman who were already in the business that he worked with while learning the trade. He took the ideas with him once he went out on his own. Paying players $1,500 years ago to use his stuff and not to use others when others didn't pay to play lead the public to believe he was the first. He wasn't.

He does make some great tour putters, but I personaly give him very little credit as a craftsman that invented anything worthwhile.

If you are only going to go to a retail shop and buy a putter then he is near the top, but for the same price as a retail cameron you can have a completely custom putter by just calling the competition. Byron, TP Mills, Slighter, etc. and they'll make a fine stick for much less than a tour Cameron.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I like to use an anology to explain Camerons. A scotty is like a Mercedes S class: It performs the same exact function that much cheaper items just like it can perform. But, there's also the pride and value of owning one at the same time, almost like rolling around in a nice rich car is. Is it a status symbol? I couldn't tell you, but scotties sure get attention on the greens.

Now, as for tour Camerons, you can refer to those as Rolls Royces...... (cool)

[sign here]

My only problem with this statement is this part "He is a genius in modifying heads, hosels, etc and putting a different "slant" to them, so to speak."

I have yet to see what Scotty has done on his own except perhaps the detour and futura. Modifying heads, hosels, necks, etc. were created/invented by other craftsman who were already in the business that he worked with while learning the trade. He took the ideas with him once he went out on his own. Paying players $1,500 years ago to use his stuff and not to use others when others didn't pay to play lead the public to believe he was the first. He wasn't.

He does make some great tour putters, but I personaly give him very little credit as a craftsman that invented anything worthwhile.

If you are only going to go to a retail shop and buy a putter then he is near the top, but for the same price as a retail cameron you can have a completely custom putter by just calling the competition. Byron, TP Mills, Slighter, etc. and they'll make a fine stick for much less than a tour Cameron.

Well, if you would carefully read my post -- you are merely repeating my statements. Look at the sentence you quoted and the sentence before -- now put them together.

I was attempting to post in a diplomatic manner. I did not use the tone that you prefer because I do not want this thread to get ugly - as they usually do when the subject of Scotty is breached.

Thanks.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Well, if you would carefully read my post -- you are merely repeating my statements. Look at the sentence you quoted and the sentence before -- now put them together.

I was attempting to post in a diplomatic manner. I did not use the tone that you prefer because I do not want this thread to get ugly - as they usually do when the subject of Scotty is breached.

Thanks.

I'm not ugly or using a tone. Just typing my opinion in an opinion based thread. Nothing to worry about. I fully agree with 99.9% of your typing/tone/thoughts/facts/opinion that was very well stated. I guess I'm "Cameroning" your statement... Borrowing it then modifying it. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. I should have just said..

I agree with the above statement. (cool)

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

cameron is god...not god god but god of putters...but then god never really xeroxed anything he made....wait scratch that he made zebras from horses...great i'm starting to rant....but yeah camerons made some of the best looking putters out there...i wouldnt call him xerox...camerons more like basf...he doesnt make the product but he makes it better...

Tm Stealth 2 plus proto driver w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Green 60

Tm Stealth 2 #3 and 5 woods w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Blue 70

Tm P7mc 4-pw w/ KBS $ taper 130 soft stepped 

Tm MG3 50,54,58 w/ KBS Tour

Tm Spider X Tour w/ KBS One Step putter

Tp5x balls

Vessel Carry bag

The original post was what is so great about Camerons. For me he has produced a well made range of putter designs that I like and that give me a good feeling when I putt with them or just fondle them lovingly. (cool)

Has he copied others designs Yes but what the hell. I'd rather be using one of my newports than a scabby old anser any day of the week - that said I like the way the wheel comes full circle with the redwood putters!

LOL, I got tuned up by a Junior Mod. for posting a similar question on Cameron putters a few months ago. Now I know, in part, why my post got jacked.

Since were all flinging opinions, I will say that I have never developed an affinity for retail Cameron's. However, some of the custom stuff is nice and creates a modest level of uniqueness, but I would never shell out the money asked for custom Cameron.

In any case, Cameron's are quality built, have nice aesthetics, and are played by many tour pro's, so it makes sense that the average golfer or better amateur would be attracted to these putters. Unfortunately, I think many people simply have a Cameron to create some kind of player image. In the end, a player should always go with what feels and looks good to them.

Alot of people emphasize the point that Scotty has copied other designs. Fair point but isn't that was every other manufacturer does aswell. Just think how many companies have a ping anser style putter in their range! As to what is so great about SC's just walk into any golf centre and look at their putter section, if they have a Scotty its quality and finish really stands out from the crowd, it is the mercedes benz of putters. (cool)

Alot of people emphasize the point that Scotty has copied other designs. Fair point but isn't that was every other manufacturer does aswell. Just think how many companies have a ping anser style putter in their range! As to what is so great about SC's just walk into any golf centre and look at their putter section, if they have a Scotty its quality and finish really stands out from the crowd, it is the mercedes benz of putters. (cool)

It might be more appropriate to say, It's the Benz of Retail Putters.

But even M-B is getting lots of competition and the performance differences are no longer clear.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Same old same old.

Scotty made his name on taking proven designs, properly fitting Players, and loyalty. Everyone wants to be King.

Most will not see the subtle changes or care. They just want a putter that works. Retail Camerons are premium putters and command premium prices. Mills Byron, Bettinardi are all at the same price point and its a matter of personal taste.

Many people like ice cream sundays.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I am sure that much of what has been said is truth insofar as marketing, etc. On the other hand the reason I play one is very simple...it works! I have owned Scotty (Newport II) in 2 different models (my Studio Stainless was stolen) and I have tried more "other models" than I would really want to remember, including Yes!, 2-ball, Ping, TM, Mizuno, and I have lost track of what others.

Simply I keep coming back to the Scotty because it feels the best, performs the best, and I am the most comfortable with it. If others are buying it for looks, status, or whatever, then that is up to the individual. I bought it, and use it simply because for me it outperforms any of the competition that I keep trying to throw it against.

When I started playing golf the Anser 2 was what fit my eye. I bought a stainless, then a BeCu version. i loved the look of that head design. About 2-3 years later the SC's appeared in the local shops. The original gun metal NewportII to me, looked like a refined version of thee Anser 2. I putted with that NPII in the pro shop of my course for about an hour. I felt it was much more solid feeling, more balanced. My wife and father-in-law got it for me for my birthday, about a week before I was going to pull the trigger myself. I have had that putter for 8 years now. I have bought a NPII TeI2 and had Kevin Cobert put his satin nickel plating on it, and love it. To me the Camerons represented a refinement of what Karsten Solheim developed. I read the fact that he named the Newport II as he did, that it was a reference to the Anser 2. With all this said, the Bettinardi designs that lean toward the Newport II (or a refinement of the Anser 2)also appeal to me, as does the new milled Odyssey.

When I started playing golf the Anser 2 was what fit my eye. I bought a stainless, then a BeCu version. i loved the look of that head design. About 2-3 years later the SC's appeared in the local shops. The original gun metal NewportII to me, looked like a refined version of thee Anser 2. I putted with that NPII in the pro shop of my course for about an hour. I felt it was much more solid feeling, more balanced. My wife and father-in-law got it for me for my birthday, about a week before I was going to pull the trigger myself. I have had that putter for 8 years now. I have bought a NPII TeI2 and had Kevin Cobert put his satin nickel plating on it, and love it. To me the Camerons represented a refinement of what Karsten Solheim developed. I read the fact that he named the Newport II as he did, that it was a reference to the Anser 2. With all this said, the Bettinardi designs that lean toward the Newport II (or a refinement of the Anser 2)also appeal to me, as does the new milled Odyssey.

Well, I think SC had an original Newport and the Newport 2 was a slight refinement of the Newport 1. Nothing to do with Karsten. Why all the romance?

:-)

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I am sure that much of what has been said is truth insofar as marketing, etc. On the other hand the reason I play one is very simple...it works! I have owned Scotty (Newport II) in 2 different models (my Studio Stainless was stolen) and I have tried more "other models" than I would really want to remember, including Yes!, 2-ball, Ping, TM, Mizuno, and I have lost track of what others.

Simply I keep coming back to the Scotty because it feels the best, performs the best, and I am the most comfortable with it. If others are buying it for looks, status, or whatever, then that is up to the individual. I bought it, and use it simply because for me it outperforms any of the competition that I keep trying to throw it against.

And what competition have you thrown it against?

Inquiring minds want to know.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x