2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What is so great about Cameron

bengtson14

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If retail selection is the only way I can get a new putter then Scotty, Betti, PING are my favorites. They really stand to me for that quality look. BUT once I found GolfWRX and researched the boutique putter makers out there I was astonished that I could have a completely custom (weight, stamps, color, finish, headcover, lie, loft, length, grip, shaft band, soundslot, etc.) putter for $200 and up made for me... and at a cheaper starting price than my favorite 3 retail putters.

Why are Camerons so great?

I think it's because a lot of retail companies have a gimmick in their design to sell the putter to the typical golfer (the latest greatest thing). They sell to the non-Golfwrx addicted public. Camerons look fairly simple (less is more) and with that inspire thoughts of great design. Camerons are elegant, so they don't need to rely on gimmicks. They just perform first and look good. Same with retail Betti., and PING IMO.... or you could just go custom boutique...

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

As has been stated before, the general public wants to play what they see the tour players on Sunday p.m. play and because of Tiger factor and the attention to detail for tour players, Camerons seem to get the most tour exposure. Now, I have played many different types of putters by many different manufacturers, and although I absolutely love everything about my current Cameron, putting comes down to the fact that what appeals to your eye, enables you to align to the target properly, and putt the ball on that line at the appropriate speed to give best chance of going into the hole, that is the putter you should use! FOR ME that happens to be my Cameron, FOR YOU or anyone else it come down to finding which putter allows you to get above factors correct, and the maker of same is immaterial as there are so many good putter makers out there that anyone can find a putter to fit their "feel" and budget.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Putters are all about feel.

In 2006 there were 25 PGA Tour wins with a Scotty and 61 World wins with a Scotty?

...because he pays the most money. Don't get me wrong Camerons are worthy of being played, but when someone offers you a hundred grand to sign on the dotted line. you would too.

Byron once had tour pros playing his stuff years ago, but Scotty swooped in and offered $1,500 dollars to play his flatsticks back when noone was paying to play. Present time deals are vastly more expensive, so only the big names get the tour.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

well i just got back from the golfers wherehouse after spending over 1 1/2 hours on that stupid imitation putting green. i tried the studio stainless 2, circa 62, mizzy bettinardi, oddysee, yes, and ping. after about 20 minutes, the 2 standouts were studio and betty. after a good hour between the 2, the studio was the hands down winner.(and not because of my avatar) with the betti, my putts felt good but didnt drop in the cup as many times as i would like. always lagged close, but 50/50 on dropping from all distance(3ft-20ft. and yes their putting green IS that big). with the scotty, look out cup cause the ball is dropping!!!!!! any and all distances were no problem!!! the split had to be close to 80/20 on dropping in the cup. feel, balance, stroke, grip, EVERYTHING was spot on. the confidence i had in this putter was undeniable. i felt i could hole anything. the new studio will be my christmas gift to myself this season. now im not saying the other putters were bad, they are just not for me. all i can say to anyone is try before you buy!!! (cool) :idhitit: :drinks:

Putters are all about feel.

In 2006 there were 25 PGA Tour wins with a Scotty and 61 World wins with a Scotty?

...because he pays the most money. Don't get me wrong Camerons are worthy of being played, but when someone offers you a hundred grand to sign on the dotted line. you would too.

Byron once had tour pros playing his stuff years ago, but Scotty swooped in and offered $1,500 dollars to play his flatsticks back when noone was paying to play. Present time deals are vastly more expensive, so only the big names get the tour.

I do not believe Scotty Cameron pays anyone to play his putters. Titleist Staff members are on contract but I do not believe any player is paid to play a Cameron. Pros play them because of the custom fitting and quality of the putters. Can anyone support the no pay for play issue? I have read this from other sources.

I play a Cameron because of feel. I used to play cast putters, Ping mostly. I was a Ping Zing player and played this putter for years. I had a couple of old Ping Zing black band putters and those felt good. I never played a Ping My Day putter but changed to a Scotty Cameron Inspired by Brad Faxon putter. This putter felt more solid than the Zing and was much heaver. Being a tremendous head case, I often wondered how flat the face of any of my putters were. With the Pings, I never knew for sure if the face was truly flat. However, with a Cameron, I know for certain that the face is flat and the rest of the putter is milled to a very tight tolerance. I purchased my first Cameron in 1995, probably because a Cameron was the new flavor and a milled putter to boot. I have had several more Camerons since. I did play a variety of Cameron putters before finally settling on the IBBF. I just changed my gamer to a Circa 62 model 1 because it is more like a blade and even more solid in terms of feel.

I agree with several of the posters here in that a putter is a personal preference. Maybe 10 to 12 years ago Scotty Cameron putters were light years ahead of nearly everybody else due to being milled putters. Now you can find milled putters from many manufactuers and many are updated versions of Ping/Scotty. This does not bother me so much as these designers are adding their improvements which is great. A person should get what they want and this should not bother anyone. I prefer Camerons and probably always will. This is not to say that I feel that other putters are inferior as this may not be true. This is just my preference.

I would try another putter if someone would provide me one as a gift. Anyone ..... anyone ..... TP Mills Professional One to try would be a great gift. Thanks!!!

(cool)

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I just picked up a Scotty Red X, put it in the bag and straightaway into a 72-hole team tournament. I had two birds everyday and an eagle on the last day. This thing is like a hot rodded mallet putter; low with a neo-industrial look to it; the shape recalls the Caliente, an earlier Cameron creation. There's good tech in the 303 Stainless Steel face supported by soft neoprene for soft feel. Given the hollow body of the mallet, balance is extremely good. That sounds like a really good putter to me.

Play what you like, play what works.

well i just got back from the golfers wherehouse after spending over 1 1/2 hours on that stupid imitation putting green. i tried the studio stainless 2, circa 62, mizzy bettinardi, oddysee, yes, and ping. after about 20 minutes, the 2 standouts were studio and betty. after a good hour between the 2, the studio was the hands down winner.(and not because of my avatar) with the betti, my putts felt good but didnt drop in the cup as many times as i would like. always lagged close, but 50/50 on dropping from all distance(3ft-20ft. and yes their putting green IS that big). with the scotty, look out cup cause the ball is dropping!!!!!! any and all distances were no problem!!! the split had to be close to 80/20 on dropping in the cup. feel, balance, stroke, grip, EVERYTHING was spot on. the confidence i had in this putter was undeniable. i felt i could hole anything. the new studio will be my christmas gift to myself this season. now im not saying the other putters were bad, they are just not for me. all i can say to anyone is try before you buy!!! ;) :drinks: :scotty:

In all my years of experience, I've never found a correlation between dropping putts on a store's artificial green and hole number 1 on my home course.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I just picked up a Scotty Red X, put it in the bag and straightaway into a 72-hole team tournament. I had two birds everyday and an eagle on the last day. This thing is like a hot rodded mallet putter; low with a neo-industrial look to it; the shape recalls the Caliente, an earlier Cameron creation. There's good tech in the 303 Stainless Steel face supported by soft neoprene for soft feel. Given the hollow body of the mallet, balance is extremely good. That sounds like a really good putter to me.

ANother good thing about the Red X, is if you ever want to make it heavier, you just have to unscrew the sole. There is a nice little area on the inside where you can add a decent amount of weight if desired.

JAT

-CHRIS-

There is nothing similar in the shape between an aluminum faced Caliente mallet and a Red X other than the fact they are both called mallets.

Reading this thread, are members a bit too rah rah about Scotty?

Take a Caliente and look at a Ram Zebra or Ray Cook Blue Goose Mallet of the mid 90's.

Take a Red X and look at an Odyssey Rossy.

Now that is a valid comparison or as some might say, a "xerox."

I say it's Scotty doing what Scotty does best -- taking someone else's design and making a slick, sophisticated modification to it and stamping his name on it -- and making it a better putter.

Let's not get carried away with bowing at the altar for too long.

PS - I should have added that in the case of the Caliente, Scotty didn't make a better putter -- that one failed. (I should know - I owned 2 of them - the honeymoon was short and that line made a quick exit.)

If there is any doubt as to the above post, who said this?

"The Red X is – it used to be convex, meaning a round-top mallet, like an old-style zebra. But once I did that, and milled that out of the block, I saw that it was not very high-tech – and how was I going to take the old mallet and make it more user friendly?

So I made it concave, and made the mound, and pushed it down -- and made it more heel and toe weighted. But the inside guts – meaning when you take off the sole plate – is perimeter weighted, like a Futura.

And I worked hard on getting the weight behind – like a horseshoe weight behind the ball, which is kind of taking the technology of the new stuff, of the back-weighted putters (like a Futura) and putting it into something classic like the Red X.

So using the best of the old world technology and the new world technology, weight distribution, performance and craftsmanship – and combining those together.

For years, I always did the ‘X’ – like the M1X I did for Ray Cook, which came out in the late 80’s."

Personally, I think the "convex" explanation is a bit disingenuous -- From appearances, it looks as if SC saw an Odyssey Rossie on tour and high- teched it. Coincidence??

I mean, that's fine. I give props to Scotty for building a better mousetrap - I love most of his work. But the explanation of the creation of the Red X seems like an intricate dodge when one looks at how much the Odyssey Rossie was once used on tour.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Lets's keep this civil and no thread crapping. There are already some borderline posts here.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Before I get hammered for the above post #44, please don't misinterpret or misunderstand me. Maybe we all need to read more slowly to see what I am really posting.

I am not a Scotty hater --- my posts say that Scotty gets his inspiration from all that is around him. He takes someone else's putter and builds a better mousetrap most of the time - I just seem like a hater because I don't bow down to Scotty -- I take a neutral viewpoint.

Let me state this again -- Scotty makes slick, sophisticated and even high tech modifications that make a better putter.

Just to let you know, I once owned about 11 Camerons until about 2002. Then the competition began to catch up. I had my Bettinardi phase -- but got through that -- I like the Pro Plat Mil Spec line and the Studio Stainless line - the non-high tech line. My gamer is a TP Mills by David Mills and will continue to be a David Mills. I like the handmade and customization aspects of David's Line. He makes a very solid putter that gives me confidence. I can't turn down a carbon steel Tour Putter at a very fair price. I have gone the gamut from Scotty and Bobby Grace, Rife, Yes models of high tech, high MOI, grooves to low tech -- David's old school, well balanced, artful sophistication with a craftsman's tweakings over the last five years.

I think Scotty does a fine and artful job. He may even believe or went through the intricate step by step creation of the Red X -- but make no mistake, the Rossie looks very similar - and that's OK - I think Scotty did a better job of his re-interpretation - and made a better putter.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Well heres my opinion on it, Bottom line scottys are more about the name then anything else.. And i'm sure everybody would agree that when you buy a scotty you have a status symbol you come to the course and you have a brand new scotty, And possibly sink a few putts but no body cares if you miss acouple cause when you miss them they dont look at your putter but when you sink a 20 foot putt everybody in your foursum wants to know what kind of putter that is and where do they get them

I suppose the simple thing to do is if a person does not believe in a Scotty Cameron putter then don't buy one. If a person believes in a Cameron then buy one, or several Cameron putters. At the end of the day a person has to be happy with what they have purchased. The one question I would think people would ask is why are the best players in the world, not restricted by club contract, putting with Cameron putters? Tiger Woods could be putting with anything he wanted but he chooses a Cameron. There are other players not bound by Titleist contract that also chooses to putt with a Cameron. Two things are certain, 1) Cameron provides tremendous services for the Tour players and 2) Cameron putters are very solid putters in terms of design, feel and quality. There are also great players putting with something other than a Cameron. Again, it is a personal preference at the end of the day.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

like a moron, i bought one before i shopped around, now i am obsessed with a tom slighter, but can't really spend the money on that without selling the scotty first i figure. Well of course i can buy the tom first, but anyway.... Over-rated? hum, subjective of course... try all the putters and see what you like. Also, divide the # times you play i guess in a year into the dollar value something like this i guess...

cost/ # times you play a year...

i play 50 x a year. 300/50 = 6$ each time i use it if i keep it for only a year...

keep it for 2 years??? $3. play twice as much as me? $1.50/round.

junky putter 9000...

100 $/ 50 = $2/ each time i use it. keep it for 2 years? $1.

say you did it that way, if you only bought a different golf ball that is cheaper by 1.50/sleeve , you could make it up. ok, now i am stretching it a bit. screw everything i said, if you got the cash go buy it. you can always sell it if you don't like it. !!!!!!!!! That is what i'm going to do!!! want to buy a used newport?

Peter.

well i just got back from the golfers wherehouse after spending over 1 1/2 hours on that stupid imitation putting green. i tried the studio stainless 2, circa 62, mizzy bettinardi, oddysee, yes, and ping. after about 20 minutes, the 2 standouts were studio and betty. after a good hour between the 2, the studio was the hands down winner.(and not because of my avatar) with the betti, my putts felt good but didnt drop in the cup as many times as i would like. always lagged close, but 50/50 on dropping from all distance(3ft-20ft. and yes their putting green IS that big). with the scotty, look out cup cause the ball is dropping!!!!!! any and all distances were no problem!!! the split had to be close to 80/20 on dropping in the cup. feel, balance, stroke, grip, EVERYTHING was spot on. the confidence i had in this putter was undeniable. i felt i could hole anything. the new studio will be my christmas gift to myself this season. now im not saying the other putters were bad, they are just not for me. all i can say to anyone is try before you buy!!! :drinks: :scotty: :cheesy:

In all my years of experience, I've never found a correlation between dropping putts on a store's artificial green and hole number 1 on my home course.

normally i would agree with you on this statement. BUT, since i was using multiple putters on a "consistant "putting surface and one seemed to stand out above the rest, i was able to make the statement i did. now obviously everything changes when you get to the real green. but it took the testing with all the putters on the artificial green to make a fair judgement only because i couldnt take all those putters home and test on my home course. ;)

Slightly off topic...but to illustrate how some people put SC on a pedestal...

I played at a Vegas resort course in the past year and rented clubs. Before I left town I called ahead to see if it would be worth it to rent since I would only be in town for 36 hours and I didn't want to go through the hassle of bringing my clubs. I was told, Oh yes, we only carry top of the line Titleists. Frankly I don't care what they are as long as I've heard of the brand and they are somewhat recent (like 1-2 years old).

So I get there and I find out the Titleists are for right handers. Left handers - like me - have to deal with Callaways circa 1999/2000. I walk out of the pro shop to my cart - which has the clubs already on it - and immediately my reaction is to go back and see if this is some kind of joke. And I talk to the guy who put them on there and he was like, "are you kidding? These are great clubs! Look, you even got a Scotty Cameron putter...what are you complaining about?"

well i just got back from the golfers wherehouse after spending over 1 1/2 hours on that stupid imitation putting green. i tried the studio stainless 2, circa 62, mizzy bettinardi, oddysee, yes, and ping. after about 20 minutes, the 2 standouts were studio and betty. after a good hour between the 2, the studio was the hands down winner.(and not because of my avatar) with the betti, my putts felt good but didnt drop in the cup as many times as i would like. always lagged close, but 50/50 on dropping from all distance(3ft-20ft. and yes their putting green IS that big). with the scotty, look out cup cause the ball is dropping!!!!!! any and all distances were no problem!!! the split had to be close to 80/20 on dropping in the cup. feel, balance, stroke, grip, EVERYTHING was spot on. the confidence i had in this putter was undeniable. i felt i could hole anything. the new studio will be my christmas gift to myself this season. now im not saying the other putters were bad, they are just not for me. all i can say to anyone is try before you buy!!! :drinks: :scotty: :cheesy:

normally i would agree with you on this statement. BUT, since i was using multiple putters on a "consistant "putting surface and one seemed to stand out above the rest, i was able to make the statement i did. now obviously everything changes when you get to the real green. but it took the testing with all the putters on the artificial green to make a fair judgement only because i couldnt take all those putters home and test on my home course. ;)

My point was - just because it works in a store, doesn't mean it will work on a course. Putters you rejected in a store may work great on a course.

I've putted with 6-10, heck even a dozen putters in a store before - kept on going back and the Odyssey SRT 3 ball was making all of these store putts, or another time, it was the Guerin Rife 3 ball, a Yes Putter or an old Bobby Grace Amazin Grace -

Get it to the course and the feel is different, or in the case of the G-R or SRT, one must take a huge stroke to get the ball going or you get a tinny feel that appears when you least expect it -- on the course!

Then, you get a lo tech Anser style that doesn't do anything for you in the store with any pizzazz, and it feels and putts lights out on the course.

That is the point. A store putter tells me nothing.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Man same old topic over and over.

Let me say what I tell every player on my golf team. What works for one might not work for another. They make many putters, drivers, shafts for that reason. When someone asks me why I putt with a Odyssey when I own many Camerons I tell them that I putt and feel more comfortable with my 2 ball. There are way to many questions to ask before you decide on equipment and I think to many people buy items just because its the in thing to do. You golfwrxer's out there have a great tool and that is we can ask questions and we can take that information with you to make your buy. To get mad when someone makes a comment on a certain brand of equipment we need to put to the curb. We are all on this site because we love golf. I love talking golf, playing golf and buying anything that has to do with golf and most of you feel the same way. I guess to some it up is to say "to each his own."

Man same old topic over and over.

Let me say what I tell every player on my golf team. What works for one might not work for another. They make many putters, drivers, shafts for that reason. When someone asks me why I putt with a Odyssey when I own many Camerons I tell them that I putt and feel more comfortable with my 2 ball. There are way to many questions to ask before you decide on equipment and I think to many people buy items just because its the in thing to do. You golfwrxer's out there have a great tool and that is we can ask questions and we can take that information with you to make your buy. To get mad when someone makes a comment on a certain brand of equipment we need to put to the curb. We are all on this site because we love golf. I love talking golf, playing golf and buying anything that has to do with golf and most of you feel the same way. I guess to some it up is to say "to each his own."

Excellent point.

;)

Well when this season I went to change putter I had no intension to pay big $$ for Scotty. In store I tried many putters (Monza Corza and big headed putters like that) and then out of curiosity tested Studio Design and fell in love instantly!=) The feel and forgiveness was from other planet as compared to any other putter I tested. So at that point selecting Scotty putter was no 'status issue' to me.

Well when this season I went to change putter I had no intension to pay big $$ for Scotty. In store I tried many putters (Monza Corza and big headed putters like that) and then out of curiosity tested Studio Design and fell in love instantly!=) The feel and forgiveness was from other planet as compared to any other putter I tested. So at that point selecting Scotty putter was no 'status issue' to me.

same here.... didnt want to spend alot of money either up until i tried a scotty. it was lights out from the first stroke!!!!!! ;)

I certainly do not think owning a Scotty Cameron OTR is a status item. A custom, Tour stamped or collectors putter may be an item geared for status but an OTR?

It seems that the same people that want to bash Cameron live for these threads.

I certainly do not think owning a Scotty Cameron OTR is a status item. A custom, Tour stamped or collectors putter may be an item geared for status but an OTR?

This is the most civilized Cameron Thread I've seen.

Maybe some of us are a wee bit sensitive?

That's OK. ;)

SC takes a lot of crap - but he is raking in the bucks. :drinks:

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

oh well... atleast he's a hot topic. Better to have both sides of this story than everyone thinking he's the greatest.

I agree that an OTR cameron isn't a status thing, but I think the $5,000 Cami&Co.s are. I really wish I could check one out in person (one of the best looking putters IMO), but I doubt I'll ever see someone putting with a $5,000 Cami&Co. putter, and if I did I probably would be too nervous to try it.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys