2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Driver for 95 mph swing speed

ToddGsell

Head/Shaft Combinations. R7 425?
I'm looking for a recommendation for a driver/shaft combination for someone who averages 95 mph (smooth) and wants a low-mid trajectory. I'll take forgiveness over workability.
I've looked around for a similar thread and haven't seen one.

I'm looking for a new driver (ok that part isn't so new).

I've always been a straight hitter, but distance has never been my strength. I probably average around 235-240 off the tee. My natural tendency is a fade (which doesn't help with distance), but I can turn the ball over.
From a few different launch monitors I've found that my driver swing speed is a consistent 95 mph and ball speed hovers around/under 140.
Currently I'm playing a Ping G2 10* with a stock Aldila NV shaft. I've found that I'm ballooning the ball and not getting as much roll as I'd like to.
I've also tried a few clubs out on the range. I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking anything.
While using the launch monitor I found that my spin rates were way too high, so I'd like to find something that can lower my spin rates and hopefully help me get some roll to go with my carry.

I really like the R7 425, but I'm not sure about which shaft I should put into it. I'm leaning towards a regular flex shaft and thinking maybe I'd trim it down a bit, but I worry about my spin rate.

I've thought about the R7 460 (mostly because I've seen some with shafts that I'm interested in), but I worry about the spin rate on it.

In the past I've played Callaway woods and been happy with them. I tried the FT-series clubs and was happy with the distance, but like a lot of other people, I couldn't get past the sound and feel of it.

Can anyone out there with strong opinions or similar specs give me some recommendations on either a good shaft for the R7 425 or a good head/shaft combination so I can narrow down my testing process?

Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with the R7. It is a nice club. I like that you are realistic and honest about your swing speed and distance. It will make the process much easier. As for shaft, I would get the most flexible thing I could control. I would talk to a good clubfitter before I explored tipping the shaft. You might be better off playing a light stiff shaft instead. Sometimes tipping the shaft can change other variables with the shaft. If there is a Taylormade fitter or a good golf store near you, you should be able to demo several different shafts to see what you like. The SQ Tour is a good club to look at. It will start getting cheaper with the SUMO coming out. With that said, if I wasn't playing Nike equipment, Taylormade would be my second choice. Is there price range you would like to be in?

There is nothing wrong with the R7. It is a nice club. I like that you are realistic and honest about your swing speed and distance. It will make the process much easier. As for shaft, I would get the most flexible thing I could control. I would talk to a good clubfitter before I explored tipping the shaft. You might be better off playing a light stiff shaft instead. Sometimes tipping the shaft can change other variables with the shaft. If there is a Taylormade fitter or a good golf store near you, you should be able to demo several different shafts to see what you like. The SQ Tour is a good club to look at. It will start getting cheaper with the SUMO coming out. With that said, if I wasn't playing Nike equipment, Taylormade would be my second choice. Is there price range you would like to be in?

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have some good club fitters around. My wife has family down in Carlsbad, and we're going to be visiting after Christmas, so I may try and schedule something with Taylormade. I haven't tried the SQ yet. I remember trying out a few Nike woods back when Nike first stepped into the golf arena, and they just weren't for me. I think they've made a lot of advances over the past decade or so (along with pretty much every other company), so maybe I'll give them another try.

As far as price range goes, I'm going to stay within typical retail-name prices. I'm not going to drop the money for anything more than that. I'm willing to wait for a good deal once I find what's right for me.

TaylorMade has a great fitting process at their HQ. That would be a great experience. I actually tested a proto R7 425 with a Diamana in it for a while. It was a nice combo but the shaft is quite expensive ( $300+ installed) when you have to buy them. Nike has come a long way but I would definitely check into going to TM's fitting center if you like their product. Let us know if you check it out.

My driver SS is 94.6, so its safe to say that we are comparing apples.

My current set up is: FT3 9.5 Neutral with Grafalloy ProLaunch 65R cut down 1/2".

I cut it down for 2 reasons.

1. 44.5 is a better length for my frame and i hit the sweetspot more often.

2. I stiffen the shaft slightly to play a little stiffer. ( I like feeling the shaft flex, so I went with a R flex evem though I'm on the border between R &S).

I really loike this combo, when i'm swinging well its a BOMBER! I got fitted at Cally and uswd the opti-fit sytem to try all the shafts and even the Diamana's and UST pro force and this combo got the best numbers.

The last driver I had and wish i kept was a Bridgestone J33R 9.5 with UST Proforce V2 55 R. I REALLY liked this combo and it was BOMBER also, I hit the longest drive of my life at my home course with this driver. But when Cally gives you a free driver I felt bad still playing the Bridgy so unfortunanty i sold it.

I swing anywear between 95-100mph and found during my launch monitor session that I could not get the ball up with a 10.5 R7 425. I normally hit an average to high ball flight and the Taylormade just gave me low stingers. The ball flight was noticeably lower than the G5, Launcher Comp, F-Speed, X460, 905R and R7 460 that I tested (all with stock stiff shafts). My fitter claimed that the 425 requires "a he-man swing. It's for long high bombers". But if you want a low ball flight then certainly give it a try.

I've tried all the drivers mentioned above, also fight a fade with the driver and have a slightly higher swing speed.

All swings are different, but I'd check out the Ping G5 Offset, the Cobra F Speed or the Callaway X460, and the Grafalloy Comp NT.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Just got fitted at the TM "tour van" (read-greengrass accounts). My ss is 95-100. Have been using Cleveland Launcher Comp w/ Aldila NV 65-S at 10.5. Tried about 20-25 combinations of TM 425's. The best combination (launch angle) was the 425 at 9.5 with the Aldila VS blue Proto at 65-s. The shaft has a fluid feel and loads & unloads fairly consistently with my swing (quick and hard). I'm very pleased (at least for now).

Ken S

My ss is 95ish, tempo is quick, G5 with V2 65 stiff was killer (but a trifle harsh), FT-3 with VS-Proto stiff works well - ball flight is controllable with tee height (usually draw). Tried J33R, Rapture which didn't work as well.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Apples-to-apples here as well. I have a 95mph avg SS, smooth tempo. The combination of accuracy and length for me was the Mizuno MX-500 10.5* (measured 10*) with stock R-flex. It increased my avg drive to 245-250. I then reshafted with an Ozik F-7m, which brought my spin rate down, increased my carry by 7 yards average. It was not uncommon for me to hit a drive 260-65 with consistency. Anyway, I got greedy, disassembled this combo, and wish I had it back.

I'm trying a Diamana 63 Stiff in my Cleveland Comp 9.8*. Looks promising.

bp

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

I like my 905R 10.5* with a Regular V2 75 gram shaft. My SS is 100mph

I like low torque shafts for consistant flights and the regular has a little kick feeling on center hits. This combo gives me a semi low flight that takes off fast and rolls. The 75gram weight also helps against casting.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I know its an oldie, but the Mizuno MP 001 with a Grafalloy blue should keep the ball low for you. You can grab a used one at Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith for $50 bucks.

TM SLDR 10.5* Diamana Kai'li S
Cleveland 588 14* Matrix Radix S
Ping g20 17* S
Callaway Apex 4-aw s300
Cleveland 54* & 60* RTX
TM Spider Counterbalance

• 1 month later...

I caught lightning in a bottle for a friend of mine. Used an Accra Tour 60 tipped regular and it was a perfect match to his swing which is fairly similar to yours but with perhaps a more aggressive downswing. He has gained substantial yardage with all the accuracy he needs. He still wants to whore another driver but honestly, the one he has is as good as he will ever have.

Use strictly loft to control the height of your shots. The shaft should complement your style of swing and your swingspeed along with your natural miss.

If you still like the Ping G2, try a Diamana Blueboard 73 or 83 in regular flex. It will definitely get your spin rate down and still provide a decent launch angle.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Titleist TSR3 10* driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Hogan Apex 4 shafts soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't DEMO DEMO DEMO. I had NO IDEA the difference was THAT SIGNIFICANT.

At the beginning of last summer, I went on a quest to find the best performing equipment/combo for me. For me, that means the head and the shaft. I was primarily concerned with forgiveness and distance. I did not consider 1/2 an inch for the shaft (played all at stock length) but did very much consider type of head shaft, loft, and flex. I've got a 92-95mph swing speed.

I tried the R7 460, Hibore, FT3, r7425, G5 and the 905R. The Titleist by far was just so, so damn forgiving. I know this may not make sense because Titleist always pitchin' to the 'better player.' Well I'll tell you what, a friend who is a 12 and myself who's a 18; both of us got the least dispersion, most distance, on FOUR DIFFERENT occasions within a month.

Even then I tried 4 shafts with the head combo. Each one performed differently. Same shaft, different loft, different ball flight. Same loft, different flex (stiff) lost 10 yards. Different shaft, same loft, same flex, totally different (most different, ironically).

Through this little experiment, I def feel like I went out and bought something that 'fit' me. If you choose not to do this, its kinda like seeing some piece of clothing and taking it home with out seeing if your a** crack is hangin' out or not. and clubs are more expensive. the 905R was the best for me and needless to say its in the bag. Funny cause for being such a hoe, the Titleist cover sticks out like a sore thumb. All good, my fat pockets make up for it!

TaylorMade has a great fitting process at their HQ. That would be a great experience. I actually tested a proto R7 425 with a Diamana in it for a while. It was a nice combo but the shaft is quite expensive ( $300+ installed) when you have to buy them. Nike has come a long way but I would definitely check into going to TM's fitting center if you like their product. Let us know if you check it out.

Good luck getting in there. Talked to one of their head guys and he told me they just uped security a ton @ their fitting center........very hard to get into there now

You can however got the the Taylormade Performace Lab www.tmplabs.com @ aviara gofl club in Carlsbad (its 5 minutes from La Costa) they do basically the exact thing there that they do with the tour pros (hit different clubs, put hte little suit with balls all over your body on and watch you swing on the computer, e.t.c.) and give you a print out everything that would work best for you and im guessing for a price will make the clubs for you custom.

Have about the same swing speed, and my shaft is the HTD CB-65 Stiff. Ive gone back and forth with similar shaft but nothing feels the same or has the same performance. I have a somewhat fluid swing, slower tempo, and this shaft loads perfectly and has a real powerful kick. Ballflight is mid-piercing.

AJS

XXIO 10 SR 9.5
Callaway GBB 3wood 
Srixon 355 3-4 hybrid 
Ping G30 5-PW
Cleveland CBX2 56-60
Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 

What's the shaft in that "Titleist" you loved so much? I'm also 95mph, and bought a complete set of Driver/3/5 with the YS-6 Stiff last year and just hated them, had to sell them all.

the YS-6 definately worked the best for me. its hard to describe any swing, but for me, I have a smooth, slow tempo back and i try to take a wide arc on the downswing. the speeder, v2, and nv DID NOT work for me at all, couldnt turn the ball, couldnt hit it straight, bottom line: NO CONSISTENCY. I tried them in a reg flex too, same loft on the head.

New Driver Results: pretty damn good, i'm not gonna sit here and tell you i hit 14 fairways... cause i wouldnt be an 18 if I could do that... but def a marked improvement (including comments like, what the hell??? hey can i try that)... and without a doubt... been driving the ball better than ever.... I can tell you this much, when my drives arent straight, I know whats going on with my swing, and that I think is the best aspect of purchasing the 'right' club....